[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between nationalism and patriotism? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 14483045758590.jpg (85KB, 755x1024px) Image search: [Google]
14483045758590.jpg
85KB, 755x1024px
What is the difference between nationalism and patriotism?

Is nationalism just radical patriotism?
>>
Patriotism = I fight for my country

Nationalism = I fight for my people
>>
there is none, both is idolatry of the state
>>
Patriotism = I'm proud of my people

Nationalism = My country is always right
>>
It is very simple. First, you must learn to differ the concepts of nation and state. A patriot is one showing endorsement for the state, whilst a nationalist is tied in depth to the cultural attributes of the group he belongs to.
>>
>>544771
Nationalism is the belief that people are united by their nationality (either chosen or based on linguistic or ethnic background) more than by anything else, like social class or faith. This group of people is called a nation. A nation has or should have political agency and sovereignity.
The French Revolution or the 1848 revolutions were nationalistic in nature. Nationalism was initially a liberal movement too, only much later right-wing nationalist movements started appearing.

Patriotism is just love of the state/country. In the era of nation states, patriotism equals nationalism. But in XIXth century, a Czech nationalist by definition wouldn't be patriotic towards Austro-Hungary which was his state.
>>
Nationalism is a more extreme form

I mean patriotism you just have to wave your flag around and say "I love this country." Nationalism you have to be willing to fight and die for and even kill the people that you believe will harm them, that and you can be nationalistic without having a nation because nationalism is about the desire to get one whereas with patriotism is about liking where you are because it's where you are. Also nations are implied to be mono-ethnic whereas you can be patriotic for multi-ethnic states.
>>
>>546927

Thank you for actually posting the difference.

Nationalism has been made into a dirty word by some, thanks to some of the right wing Nationalist movements, but that's obviously not the whole story.

So many Anarchists/Communists wants to paint Nationalists as "Here come the Nazis again" when the scope is so much broader.

It's not like Catalonians or Scottish are the scum of the Earth for wanting Nation-States.
>>
>>546847
backwards
>>
>>544778
>>546871
>>546927
Those are right.
>>546787
>>546847
>>547363
Faggots who repeat liberal myths that they read on the internet.
>>
>>547447
I don't know besides >>546787 they all say the same thing (that fag is a fag though)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.