[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since I'm pretty sure religion is under humanities, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1430677925839.jpg (99KB, 660x526px) Image search: [Google]
1430677925839.jpg
99KB, 660x526px
Since I'm pretty sure religion is under humanities, what can you tell me about Buddhism, /his/?
I'm exploring religion and spirituality and it was one of the religions I was curious about

Pic unrelated
>>
It's a meme religion that's heavily romanticised by Western orientalists and practiced in unrecognisable and redundant forms here
>>
best thing about buddhism are those martial monks in chinkland. shits legit.
>>
>>542900
Pretty much that unenlightened life is suffering and there is a way to end suffering.

Then from enlightenment nirvana, after the effects of one's karma are complete they "attain" but there is no attainment in Buddhism.

Some Buddhists are strictly renounced in accordance to Gautama's teachings and others live a life where they bring enlightenment to others.

It is controversial when Buddhist and deities and God mix together, but the bottom line of Buddhism is the heart of its teaching.

No matter what faith you are or arent, Buddhism can help fix the situation of a problematic lifestyle
>>
>>542900
Buddhism is a bunch of bullshit that leads you on a wild goose chase after a red herring. But it's a good chase and well worth pursuing even if there is no real end.
>>
>>542993
A koan for you.

If Buddhism is a bunch of bullshit that leads you on a wild goose chase after a red herring, is enlightenment bullshit, a goose, or a herring?
>>
>>542998
Ah, trick question! It's a roll of toilet paper.
>>
File: Sacred_Profane_300.gif (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Sacred_Profane_300.gif
23KB, 300x300px
>>542900
Buddhism, is indeed a religion. What exactly are you curious about, OP? Do you want me to recommend you some books that put Buddhism into it's proper historical and sociological context, or would you rather me recommend you Buddhist essential reading books?
>>
>>542913
This, desu senpai.

Budhism has more fairly tales and suppositions of mythical proportions than all denominations of Islam and Christianity combined.
>>
Repetition anon, for one can speak highly of Buddha but his teachings in the suttas you cannot find from a temple in the west.
You must find the Suttas and read the whole, if you have the capability for such a journey.
Once you do so learn of the vehicles, and soon you will start to learn the suttas, which will teach you of the vehicles, which will teach you of the suttas
Oh and be sure to not fap
>>
>>542900
Go read a book faggot.
>>
>>542900
The most important thing you can learn about Buddhism on the internet is that you can't seriously learn Buddhism from your general audience level books on Buddhism. Sure they have there place, but once you are familiar with them it's best to just dive into the source material directly or else you will never really understand any of it in any meaningful sense.
>>
File: 1432080774144.png (562KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
1432080774144.png
562KB, 1240x1754px
>>542900
It's the teachings of Buddha and covers a very wide span of location and time periods.
What specifically do you wish to know about?
>>
>>542900
Buddha tried to free the Hindus from Brahmanical tyranny just like Jesus tried to free the Levant from Pharisaical / Kohen tyranny.

Religions with hereditary priest castes are bad.
>>
>>544089
I'd like some essential readings. I want to know it's basic teachings, guidelines, etc.
>>
Oh sorry, didn't mean to ignore you, >>544595
Refer to >>544676
>>
>>544676
I recommend going to some online forums devoted specifically to Buddhism, as the information you will get there will be more detailed and practical than on 4chan.

Dhammawheel.com and Dharmawheel.net are really really good internet forums. Dhamma wheel is for Theravada Buddhism and Dharmawheel is for Mahayana Buddhism.
>>
File: 41d5qg6L1mL.jpg (23KB, 312x500px) Image search: [Google]
41d5qg6L1mL.jpg
23KB, 312x500px
>>544676
Start with the words of the Buddha. Start with The Dhammapada. It's easy to read, and it give you a good introduction into Buddhism. If you enjoy this, you can continue forward with more essential texts.

Also, if you never have, I would consider reading the Tao Te Ching. Yes, this is not Buddhism, but it's a fun quick read. It is very short, but very good.

Anyways, yes Buddhism.
>pic related
>>
>>544814
>I recommend going to some online forums devoted specifically to Buddhism
I don't recommend this.
>>
>>544928
Thanks for the book recs, anon
I just got Tao Te Ching while I was out today and I'll get the Dharmmapada once I finish it
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.