[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my girlfriend sent me a Latin textbook as a Christmas gift.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: KpMc25j.png (31KB, 606x425px) Image search: [Google]
KpMc25j.png
31KB, 606x425px
So my girlfriend sent me a Latin textbook as a Christmas gift. This happened after mentioning in a conversation I would like to learn it. She already did it in middle school, so I can't bullshit my way through this and now must learn Latin.

I'm already doing stuff on memrise, and the book in question is Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata by Hans H Orberg. While language learning normally falls under /int/ or /lit/ I gather, Latin seems to be more /his/ than anything and I hope some anons can help me out. I want to get to the level where I can at least read some historical works in their original form.

Previous classroom learning experiences with language was some college Spanish. Did not go over too well but I was also sorta disinterested and depressed.

TL;DR I gotta learn Latin to save face and impress gf. Help me become patrician instead of plebian.
>>
File: image.png (261KB, 404x522px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
261KB, 404x522px
>>534739
Read the vulgate cover to cover along with Seneca and Cicero. Also, read online Catholic encyclials in Latin.
And she's probably a good one. Godspeed, OP.
>>
File: 1921683216.jpg (28KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
1921683216.jpg
28KB, 500x419px
you're missing a great opportunity here OP

imagine all the things that could happen if you let her help you learn, assuming she's willing to teach you

me and my gf had fun learning linear algebra together before she moved away
>>
Not Wheelock? OP's GF = pleb.
>>
File: 1432171246036.jpg (44KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
1432171246036.jpg
44KB, 400x600px
>>534849

Thanks anon. Would you know if Latin language imageboards exist? Shitposting in Latin would be a fun way to keep at this. I might start one if there's interest on endchan.

There's not a filter on that imageboard I hope, endchan din do nuffin.

>>534933

She's offered to brush up herself and be a speaking partner, the primary issue is keeping motivated. New Year's Resolution syndrome is a real and present threat unless I keep at this until June.

And god she's a real qt. She's a lurker over on 4chan but probably sticks to /a/ or /cgl/. Tolerates my power level pretty well. We watch Chinese cartoons together.
>>
>>535097
>if Latin language imageboards exist?

Probably not, plenty of forums though. The hardest part will probably be learning all the verb forms and tenses, but there's generally a system to follow, this was the language of Rome after all.

Also, pics of gf?
>>
Commentarii de Bello Gallico is usually the first latin book you should attempt to read, since Caesar's style is fairly straightforward.
>>
>>534739
Learning a classical language is diffefent from learning a modern one.
Here is how I was taught latin in high school, keep in mind it took 5 years to master it:
>forget speaking, you're learning a language that will only appear to you in its written form. Buy a dictionary
>start from the grammar, pairing it with easy translation exercises (it takes time to get to real latin texts, you are going to start with the simple phrases in your textbooks)
>try to learn the basic vocaboulary

After a couple of years you should be able to translate latin. I said TRANSLATE, not read, which is not really that useful if you ask me
>>
>>535088

Wheelock's Latin is the road to disaster. See the Dowling Method. The critique is on point.
>>
>>537486
Why is Wheelock's bad
>>
>>535097
There's some site called spqr y ribbon to
It's a japanese site with imageboards in japanese, but the rest of the site (home page and galleries) in latin. It even uses anno urbis for years
>>
>>534739
Work the textbook. Latin has great self-teaching textbooks for English speakers. I'm gonna be honest: it's going to take a long time before you're going to be ready for genuine Latin texts. Once you are, Caesar, Ovid, and Catullus are going to be on the easier side of things.
>>
>>534739
It should take you about 5 years to learn it. Good luck.
>>
>>534739
Cambridge Latin course
>>
>>534739
Your textbook, Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, is very fun and usefull for learning latin. BUT, it is not an auto-didactic text, it only really works if you have a teacher guiding you. If your gf gave it to you, maybe you should ask her to teach you, as another anon suggested.

Otherwise, find another textbook.
>>
Step 1. Learn from textbooks (grammar exercises and latin-english translations)
Step 2. Same
Step 3. No changes here
Step 4. Once you understand how to use all times when conjugating, can properly decline anything and understand what an ACI and NCI are start translating english-latin.
Step 5. Learn Pater Noster by Heart. Start translating de bello gallico.
Finally if you're following the standard curriculum, you're learning high/classical latin from about 50-0 bc. This means the best you can hope for is understanding Cesar, Cicero and Ovidius. Anything before or after that, youll need to find adapted versions to classical latin if you want to read them. Latin changed a lot through time.
>>
>>539508
Also buy a dictionary. Along with your textbook its going to be your most precious tool. Expect it to be falling apart from use when you finished your course.
Also keep organised notes and regularly reread older stuff or you'll forget very easily.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.