[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mongols couldnt expand into south east asia why is this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: khan.jpg (425KB, 793x1016px) Image search: [Google]
khan.jpg
425KB, 793x1016px
>mongols couldnt expand into south east asia

why is this?
>>
>>534654
Jungles, son. Steppe horsemen hate jungles.
>>
>>534654
steppe niggers who cannot into jungle guerrilla warfare
>>
>>534663
>>534665
"Энэ миний биш" тoглoж эхэлнэ.
>>
File: gorilla.jpg (92KB, 949x841px) Image search: [Google]
gorilla.jpg
92KB, 949x841px
>>534665
>>534663
>muh gorilla mounted archers
>>
Were there any attempts to expand the empire into the jungle?
>>
>>534654
Jungle and mountains got in the way
>>
Vietnams were only conquered by the chinks and since then no one has been able to get them out
Almost poetic
>>
>>534910
ជារូបខ្ញុំ។

ចូរមានចាម្ប៉ា។

នៅឆ្នាំ 1832 ។

វៀតណាមបានឈ្លានពាន។

«វាគឺជាការមិនមែនខ្ញុំ»ចាប់ផ្តើមលេង។
>>
>>534779
yes
>>
>>534654
They were checked at Viet Nam and Burma, along with Mamluk and Japan are few countries in the world that defeated the Mongols.
>>
>>534685
Caйн yy. Ta мoнгoл yy?
>>
>>534910
What about the frogs?
>>
>>534910
We VNmese are reigned by evil, corrupted Communists now. But we will finally kick those bastards out of the country like what we did to other foes in the history of VN.
>>
>>535463
Crow more catholic comprador.
>>
>>535427
I'm pretty sure the Pacific Ocean has to be credited for defeating the mongols and not the japanese
>>
>>535463
wen tot your country, it was shit, ad idea keeping out the french man
>>
>>535530

That is fairly accurate, but one has to wonder if they would have even been able to really take over Japan regardless. What really sucks is that the Mongol invasions essentially led to the fall of the Kamakura Shogunate.
>>
>>535628
I dont see how Japan's samurai which I think were close to Horse Archers in this period could stand to a full Mongol army with its Chinese support.
>Those dumb ass jap long bows.
>>
>>535628

What if japan was connected to korea by land? Pretty sure then the mongols would have conquered them.
>>
>>534779
Yeap.

Towards Vietnam, Java, and Burma actually.

All Mongol attempts in Southeast Asia failed.
>>
File: Longboat Fleet.jpg (1016KB, 3300x2192px) Image search: [Google]
Longboat Fleet.jpg
1016KB, 3300x2192px
>>534654
>Mongols can't fight for shit in the Jungle.
>Mongols can't run a navy to save their lives.
>>
>>536211

>Vietnam, Burma.

Those were made into tributaries read it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Mongol_invasion_of_Burma

>To avoid further conflict, Đại Việt and Champa agreed to a tributary relationship with the Yuan dynasty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasions_of_Vietnam
>>
>>536221
Vietnam always does that to whoever controls China, even if they beat them in war.

The Qing for example was defeated by the Viets in the 1700's, but the King made his ass tributary to the Chinese so the Qing wont send another army.

They still don't get to control Vietnam or something.
>>
>>534654
no advantage in the terrain, diseases killed horses, they could trash a few cities to send a message and as a future bargaining chip to exact tribute but they couldn't control the land
>>
>>535463
You'll be rid of China after WWIII. In fact, you'll be rid of yourselves, your cities and everything you won too.
>>
>>534654
For the same reason they would have never been able to take western Europe, terrain.
>>
>>536266

Bypassing woods with horses is as hard as bypassing tropical jungles.
>>
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE WE'VE GOT FUN AND GAMES
>>
>>536202

I certainly think Japan would have had a hard time, but they were actually doing a pretty good job holding off the Mongols during their second invasion, if I recall correctly.

>>536203

If Japan was connected by land I honestly believe the Mongols would have conquered them. When you put it that way, I can certainly see how "the Pacific Ocean" was the real winner.
>>
>>536552
To do so with an army, it would have been too difficult to manage and would have simply slowed down their advance to the point where both Europeans and south east Asians would have stomped them good.
>>
>>535530
The forces that made it ashore were getting their asses kicked long before the Kamikaze. Kamikaze just made sure their losses went from "minor embarrassment" to "holy shit all my gook mercenaries are dead"
>>
File: jungle.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
jungle.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
good luck trying to navigate a jungle with tens of thousands of horsemen
>>
The Japanese had a stronger navy than the Mongols. Throughout history, we learn that it is better to be lucky than good, but in this case Japan was both. A storm occurred which drew the Mongols off, and combine the power of the navy meant no invasion in Japan. As for the other parts of southeast Asia, the Yuan dynasty (or the Mongol reign of China) had mass famine, and many people (manpower) died. My guess is that there just wasn't enough people who supported Mongol cause in the conquering of the world in China.
>>
i thought mongols invaded Pagan Empire
>>
>>538096
the japs did well in the second invasion but they got destroyed in the early skirmishes of the first invasion before the kamikaze since there was no living japanese commander who had experience fighting in a real war.
>>
>>53626
They could easily have taken Western Europe if they dedicated themselves to that, like they did with China.

But China, Persia and Egypt were better targets.

There was nothing exceptional about Europe at that time.
>>
>>539214
>Easily taken Western Europe

fucking topkek. No. They would have never succeeded, too many factors would have ensured their failure.
>>
>>539339
You mean they couldn't conquer it and China and the Middle East all at the same time.

Surely you don't mean to suggest that Western Europe in the 13th century had the wherewithal to withstand a full-on Mongol assault.
>>
Because Vietnam is only for the French to conquer
>>
>>539339
Unless the HRE got their shit together, and made a united stand with support from France, the Iberian, and maybe england. I highly doubt they would have withstood a full scale mongol invasion.
Hungary got pushed into croatia before the mongols retreated, and Poland also got their shit kicked before the mongols retreated iirc.
Problem with Europe was that they would have had to dig pretty far into Germany, or to Italy for any real loot. It was just more beneficial to trade with europe as a bunch of border states.
>>
>>539493
>>539383

I understand if you guys like to hop on Mongol dick to say that they could beat everyone but they couldn't. Similar nomadic invasions have occurred many times and Western Europe has repelled them all. Hungary had extremely different terrain than much of Western Europe at the time, much more open and much more susceptible to nomadic style invasions, this was the same with Russia. The Mongolian army never numbered more than I believe 150,000 if I do recall, and to say that they would have been able to combat the Western Europeans on their home turf is just absurd. Germany's climate would have fucked things up for the Mongols alone. This, coupled with the numerous thousands of castles and forts the Europeans had (which even with the siege tactics the Mongols had it would have taken forever for them to capture even a few) would have made Europe near impossible to conquer, that's not even including the zealotism which would have united Europe much like it did in the Crusades, even more so if it was on their home turf. Could you imagine how all of Europe would have reacted if they saw their holy sites being put at risk?
>>
>>539200

A fair point. No soldiers or general had any real military experience at the time, so I could certainly see a case being made for the Mongols winning out against Japan.

It's hard to really say one way or the other, because Japan definitely had the defensive advantage, and I count the ocean/storms as part of that advantage. A lot of Japanese military leaders were still very competent, even if they had seen no real battle at the time.
>>
>>539556
You are overrating Western Europe.

China had huge castle cities that could stand sieges for years, a hard terrain and climate for the Mongolians and a much larger population with much larger armies (much, much larger). In the 13th century, Chinese armies were not inferior to European ones in quality (the decline only happened later).

Mongols also defeated quite easily Hungary, Poland and the Russians.
>>
>>540567

The problem with China when the Mongols invaded wasn't the quality of the armies, or how defensible the country was, but at the time China was under TERRIBLE governmental control. The Song were so terribly afraid of military generals being able to overthrow their dynasty, they they effectively made the Chinese military completely useless, unable to perform any military actions without direct permission from the Imperial Court.

Besides this, at the time of the Mongol invasion, China was essentially two different countries, and greatly weakened because of this. The Northern Song stood no chance against the Mongols and got completely rekt, and then the Southern Song soon followed, considering half of China was already gone.
>>
>>536221
Becoming a tributary just means that the country "accepts" that China is a greater power than them and then they get the benefits of protection and top tier trade. Basically Dai Viet assured its continued existence while maintaining otherwise standard relations with China-relations with Yuan China
>>
File: castelnau-bretenoux-2.jpg (192KB, 780x400px) Image search: [Google]
castelnau-bretenoux-2.jpg
192KB, 780x400px
>>539556
>This, coupled with the numerous thousands of castles and forts the Europeans had (which even with the siege tactics the Mongols had it would have taken forever for them to capture even a few) would have made Europe near impossible to conquer

i wouldn't wanna be in there when the horde arrives with siege engines (and possibly early gunpowder)
>>
Why didn't they expand into indian subcontinent?
Was it just because of Himalayas?
>>
>>540625
>The Northern Song stood no chance against the Mongols
The Northern Song was BTFO by the Jurchens. It then moved its capital to the South and continued the war there. The Jurchens then went "we Chinese now" and established the Northern Jin Dynasty.

What followed was a WWI style stalemate fighing between Song and Jin.
>>
>>539098
Except the Japanese got fucking wrecked in the first invasion.
>>
>>540820

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry, super tired and super sick over here.
>>
>>539556
>Hungary had extremely different terrain than much of Western Europe at the time, much more open and much more susceptible to nomadic style invasions
100% unadultered horseshit. Medieval Hungary =/= modern Hungary. Medieval Hungary also consisted of areas that constitute modern Transylvania and Slovakia which are extremely mountainous.
>>
File: ss.jpg (100KB, 282x940px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
100KB, 282x940px
>>539556
>The Mongolian army never numbered more than I believe 150,000

They had more then that.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.