[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where does the idea that a strong, powerful, and wealthy nation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: Map11[1].jpg (207KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
Map11[1].jpg
207KB, 1023x682px
Where does the idea that a strong, powerful, and wealthy nation has a "moral obligation" to help those less fortunate than itself come from? Is it an idea only present in the West?

Is it the idea of a "moral obligation" the biggest spook around?
>>
Christianity.
>>
>>534025
This. Absolutely no question.
>>
>>534025
/thread

I'm a Christian myself, and even I say this. The problem with this theory is not that they should be working to help or improve these other countries. The problem comes when there are those who will put on a false sense of piety to champion this idea and loot and exploit those other nations. However, one must take into account the reality that imperialists must have known; that if they had not exploited the other countries for their untapped wealth, another power was going to do so and victimize their country when the next war came.

I really think Peter Hitchens had it right when he said, "You either have your own empire, or you're a part of somebody else's." The exploitation of these nations is one of the great tragedies of history, but if imperialists did not do it then the tragedy would have been in their own country when the power that did comes for them.
>>
Islam makes a big point about helping the poor. It's like a requirement or something. You have to find someone to give money too.
>>
>>534015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master–slave_morality
>>
>>534038
>>534062
This meme again.

Christians do not even follow their own religion.
>>
>>534096
Empathy is different from excessive altruism and guilt for being part of a successful society.
>>
>>534025
Wrong. Humans naturally feel sympathy.
>>
>>534062

I agree. I live in a third world shit hole that just got rid of a dictatorship, and these people stole more from the country than the imperialists did.

At least the Brits had the decency to build roads and sewage systems to appease the population.
>>
>>534096
When all of this stuff from foreign countries came to the Ming court in China, it prompted the Confucian scholars to decide that the outside world had nothing to offer China. A policy was adopted that, because these China was far superior to everybody else, that to protect this supremacy, China should close completely.

This is a vastly different reaction to the comparison of it's greatness to other's weakness than the European. Obviously, there was something fundamentally different here.
>>
Foreign aid is just charity on a global scale. Charity is a concept about as old as mankind (and foreign aid is not particularly modern or Christian) and is generally considered a way to gain prestige and good will in your community, including the international community.

What's relatively new is the extreme sense of GUILT pushing the West to be charitable to those less fortunate. Feel free to cook up whatever theories you want to explain this, but I consider mass psychology a pseudoscience.
>>
>>534117
Yes, that difference was explained here: >>534062
>>
>>534015
>>534025
>>534038
>>534062
Japan is the 4th largest contributer to foreign aid, South Korea is 16. It's not just a western/christian thing.
>>
>>534015
Human empathy. The idea that people should help eachother is as old as mankind
>>
>>534577
Those countries are heavily influenced by Christianity and have been for most of the past century, especially South Korea, where Protestant prayer services were basically forms of community resistance against Japanese rule during the country's occupation.
>>
>>535238
>Those countries are heavily influenced by Christianity and have been for most of the past century, especially South Korea, where Protestant prayer services were basically forms of community resistance against Japanese rule during the country's occupation.
That doesnt explain Japan at all.

I think people confuse Western with Christian.

Do countries like Russia and Armenia even care about aid as much as atheist Europe?

Japan probably gives aid because it makes them look good.
>>
There is no moral obligation to help.
There is however a moral obligation to not fuck it over, like the west has been doing for a couple of centuries.
>>
>>534062
They were exploited under their own kings beforehand.
>>
>>534015
What the fuck kind of borders are those
>>
>>535479
It shows the division between the "global north" (aka rich, industrialized nations) and the "global south" (poverty-stricken hellholes).
>>
>>535492
yeah I'm definitely talking about that and not the fucked up country borders
>>
>>535441
>moral obligation
Stopped reading there. Nations don't have moral obligations to anything.
>>
>>535502
Those are obviously not country borders but region borders (although still mostly based on national boundaries). The rationale for the regional borders is not apparent, though.
>>
>>535527
Regional borders my ass, this a /pol/ map.
>>
>>535541
>>>/pol/
>>
>>535561
>>
>>535592
This map doesn't disprove the OP's map.
>>
Morality aside, it may be just pragmatic to help the poor, wether speaking of nations or population. The cost of dealing withe consequences of poverty (here, mass emigrations, political instability, impact on price of natural resources) may be higher than the cost of limiting poverty.
>>
>>535667
Well the West does have a moral obligation to distribute birth control and sex education to the third world hordes, for the sake of its own survival.
>>
It's mostly done for two reasons:

A) Diplomacy / PR points, make the nation look like a charitable entity who will "Help the less fortunate" and thus give it a positive view on the eyes of foreigners.

B) So they can ask for favors out of the benefited countries in the long run.
>>
>>535238
Other high-ranking donators to foreign aid include India (17), Turkey (12), and the UAE (8).
>>
>>534015
>Where does the idea that a strong, powerful, and wealthy nation has a "moral obligation" to help those less fortunate than itself come from?
Tikkun Olam
>>
>>535238
>>536342
Also, if Christianity made a country more likely to donate, why is it that the most Christian countries on earth (Latin America) donate nothing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governments_by_development_aid
>>
>>536348
Because we don't donate as a country
We made it daily as a community
We give clothes, canned food, when someone is sick we made a little thing called Chicken party (pollada) and we all buy it and sell it to make profit for his of her medication or treatment that's hiw things are here on cities and on the country it doesn't matter we help each other
>>
>Where does the idea that a strong, powerful, and wealthy nation has a "moral obligation" to help those less fortunate than itself come from?
Because Europe should be helping the world to embrace civilization and all of its benefits. Unfortunately barbarians don't understand that. Look at the US, for example, they killed natives and enslaved a lot of people and now are there. In Singapore the locals accepted British investmts. In Africa on the other hand they fought back and still act like brutes today.

>Is it an idea only present in the West?
Yes because civilized society is a western thing just like morals are too

>Is it the idea of a "moral obligation" the biggest spook around?

No you retarded, Stirner is a meme.
>>
>>534025
Not a shred of doubt.
>>
there is no moral obligation at all. when it comes down to it none of the actions a global power does comes from this.

Its better understood by thinking about the added influence and soft power that power will gain by doing so. If (for example) the USA stopped giving aid tomorrow, the aid that China provides will become more important overnight, increasing the relative influence of China on whichever less fortunate state they choose to influence
>>
File: fpsyg-06-01098-g001.jpg (518KB, 4000x5531px) Image search: [Google]
fpsyg-06-01098-g001.jpg
518KB, 4000x5531px
>>534105
>t. christian or member of a christian civilization
The fact of the matter is that sympathy is not a constant in every population.
>>
>>534075

Someone should tell that to the saudis
>>
>>537246
The Saudi family gives billions to charity.
>>
Japan and other wealthy East Asian countries give quite a lot of aid to poor countries. They just don't have this (IMO counterproductive) idea that the West has, that the best way to help a developing country is to import its best and brightest citizens.
>>
>>537267
what saudi arabia means by "charity" is to give money to isis
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.