[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>History is written by the victors. True or false? http:/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_0031cX392X235_Nazi_Flag.jpg (19KB, 392x235px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0031cX392X235_Nazi_Flag.jpg
19KB, 392x235px
>History is written by the victors.
True or false?
http://strawpoll.me/6491607
>>
No, because it assumes that everyone who writes down history has an agenda, and are not genuinely trying to find out what happened.
>>
Considering the losers most likely die, yes.
>>
File: 1427652411697.jpg (60KB, 596x360px) Image search: [Google]
1427652411697.jpg
60KB, 596x360px
>>
I'm a historian, what did i win?
>>
history is written by historians you retard
>>
File: truly see.png (33KB, 255x216px) Image search: [Google]
truly see.png
33KB, 255x216px
>>532636
history is written by whoever bothers doing it
>yfw
>>
>>532636
No.
t. the victor
>>
>>532641
>it assumes that everyone who writes down history has an agenda

Except that's generally true
>>
File: Mommy.jpg (22KB, 400x387px) Image search: [Google]
Mommy.jpg
22KB, 400x387px
I guess it is.
>>
>>532647
>>532646
Do you not live in the country that won?
>>
File: apocalypto.jpg (143KB, 600x334px) Image search: [Google]
apocalypto.jpg
143KB, 600x334px
>>532636
I don't know, OP. Why don't you ask all of the Carthaginian historians?
>>
>>532653
And those people live in the victorius nation
>>
>>532655
Everyone has an agenda, but what I mean to say is that someone who believes in that quote thinks that everyone who writes history does so with the intent to obfuscate or in some other way try to present history so as to remove certain aspects that may be true for ideological purposes.

In other words, just because someone writes history and is a person with ideological convictions, doesn't mean that what they write is false or revisionist.
>>
>>532636

"History is not written by losers or victors but English Historians"
>>
>>532636
Was Boer war history written by the victors?
Was Vietnam war history written by the victors?
Was Chinese civil war history written by the victors?
Does anybody gives a single fuck about the history written by the actual victors of WW2?

No.
>>
>>532662
how do you just have the entire thing explained to you and then miss the point
>>
>>532658
yeah

but the countries that lost got to write history too, unless they were erased from existence
>>
History is written by the victors.

Revisionist history is written by the losers :^)
>>
>>532665

More often than not, bias is unconscious. You don't have to set out with malevolent intent to intentionally distort the truth to end up with something that is a world away from historical reality.

C'mon this is historiography 101
>>
"But my Lord, what will History say"?
General Burgoyne "History, Sir, will tell lies, as usual."
George Bernard Shaw
>>
>>532666

Literally the worse kind of historians. Give me a German historian any day
>>
>>532666
But who historicizes the historicizers?
>>
>>532692

I'm pretty sure the Jews didn't 'win' WW2
>>
File: 220px-Hans_Morgenthau.jpg (12KB, 220x312px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Hans_Morgenthau.jpg
12KB, 220x312px
>>533008
kek look at this lil white boi
>>
>>533007

Historians.
>>
>>533003
Kek too true.
>>
>>532636
Of course it's true.

>>532641
>No, because it assumes that everyone who writes down history has an agenda
If you have a serious interest in history you should know by now that when it comes to analysing sources you ALWAYS ask WHO it is who writes, for WHOM he does it and for what PURPOSE. The idea that anyone was unaffected by his circumstances is utterly foolish.
>>
>>532668
Well, Soviets did won ww2 so, yeah. I like how they tell the story
>>
>>532683
The cultural element that fought to war is erased.

Look at the purges in Russia. The people who might have written about them being evil were all killed, and most people ignore them. Now look at the holocaust, the Jews survived and Hitler is literally the worst person ever.
>>
>>533205
>Look at the purges in Russia. The people who might have written about them being evil were all killed, and most people ignore them.
in what parallel universe are the purges not documented and seen as evil and brutal?
>>
>>533205
Why do you think people still don't trust Russia even after The Soviet union fell?
>>
>>533219
This one. Look at how many movies have been made about the holocaust. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Holocaust_films

Can you find a similar list about the russian purges?

Both are in the textbook, but my teacher spent two classes on the holocaust and only mentioned the purges in passing.
>>
>>533222
The Cold War
>>
>>533230
>This one
Why do you lie on the internet?
>>
>>533240
I cannot go a day without hearing a refernece to the Nazis from pop culture. I almost never here about the purges.
>>
File: 1403097117168.jpg (37KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1403097117168.jpg
37KB, 500x375px
well i've been writing down history for a while now and i'm a fucking loser so there's at least some aspect of that that saying that isn't true
>>
>>532636

I'd wager a more accurate way of looking at this is:
History is written by everyone, but is censored by the victors.
>>
>>535146
that still does not explain why we are reading about vietnam or the soviet union (or had been reading about ww1 until like the 60s) the way we are
>>
>>535219
WWI is actually a good case against given the levels of anti German bias within Anglophone scholarship.
>>
>>535219
what way is that even
>>
>>535219
Because commies run academia, duh.
>>
>>532636
What is historiography the thread.
>>
Itt butthurt naziboos
>>
>>532668
B-but aren't the germans the bad guys in WW1?
And what about the dresden bombings?

Tldr: history is written by the victors
>>
>>533008
A lot of jewish people died to get a piece of land.
Seems like a big victory to me.

Throwing away millions of poor people to get a piece of land is exactly how the first world war was fought (and any war before and after).
>>
>>532636

False,

the mongols couldn't write and got their history written by the losers they conquered.
>>
>>536154
/k/ here!

Dresden was bombed because it was a rail-head, industrial hub and production center for ball bearings.

Ball bearings you say? What madness is this? Who gives a shit about Ball bearings.

To put none too fine a point on it, the German military ran on ball-bearings. In a very real sense, the Bundeswehr of today maintains a lot of the muscle memory of the old Heer and if you crack open a gun made in the last forty years, I'll tell you wear it came just by looking at the internals. We americans, love our roll pins. For the com-bloc states? Rivets. That was their answer in 1947, 1974 and today. The Germans love them some bearings.

So, if you can cut off the ball bearings, the tanks and howitzers break down.

So fuck your shit, now go back to /pol/schwitz.
>>
File: Star_of_David.svg.png (88KB, 2000x2308px) Image search: [Google]
Star_of_David.svg.png
88KB, 2000x2308px
>>
>>536206
Proofs?
>>
>>533285
Pop culture =/= recorded history
>>
File: arthurharris.jpg (31KB, 480x802px) Image search: [Google]
arthurharris.jpg
31KB, 480x802px
>>536339
Frederick Taylor wrote a pretty good book on it, pointed out that a city the size of Manchester has some pretty big industrial capabilities, and 100 odd munitions factories as well. Harris himself said something pretty based, along the lines of "if it stops guns and boots being made and put on ground, it's fine by me".
In a post war interview he said that whilst he didn't like it, he'd still do it again.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.