[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Women / Paganism / Germany / 14-15th Century

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Funeral-Viking-L.jpg (26KB, 550x332px) Image search: [Google]
Funeral-Viking-L.jpg
26KB, 550x332px
I am looking for /his/ sources on something that matches the following requirements:
>Female historical figures (or groups)
>Pagan rites, religion, theology
>Possibly late 14th, early 15th century, when the Christianization of Europe was almost completed
>Germany or Eastern Europe.

In other words, I was wondering if there is any source of pagan practices linked to the "females" of which we have notice.
>>
>>531053
Europe was entirely Christian in the 13 century besides Muslim Spain.
Also women doing what?
>>
>>531058
Please be helpful.
>>
>>531061
Hey man... you forget witch hunting... and there have been pagan rites in southern Italy as far as 20th Century (see, e.g. Ernesto de Martino's ethnography on the subject matter).

Wizardry, witch-hunt was a thing... it was part of christianization.

I believe a lot of pagan practices survived for a long time in Europe. I am sure some of you have done research on the subject.
>>
>>531062
What do you want me to do?

Make shit up?

Paganism was long dead at the time you speak of and women scarcely anything to do with it anyway

What, are you one of those "earth mother" wiccanfags or something?
>>
>>531061
Lithuania, my man, was still pagan. It's possible that people still practised pre-Christian rites elsewhere, too, despite officially being Christian.
>>
>>531065
>Witch-Hunting having anything to do with the church.

Witches didn't exist according to the Catholic Church. Believing in them could get you excomunicated for Manichaesm
>>
>>531053
Probably plenty, but many were underground and likely not recorded, and what was was most likely recorded by inquisitors sent to investigate the town, and those will have very little detail on ceremonies or ideals.

As for famous historical females figures, not many outside of royalty are talked about. The only famous female pagan I can think of is Boudicca, and she lived during the height of the Roman Empire.

[spoiler]You can also just google it, even if it is some shitty Cracked list, at least one thing is bound to come up.[/spoiler]
>>
>>531068
>>531075

Aw for fu**s sake, anons... ever heard of the concept of "surviving practice"? Ever opened up an anthropology book? Ever attended anthropology 101?

Of course paganism was still around. There are a lot of practices that were not eradicated. I made an example of witch-doctors acting in Italy in 20th Century... why shouldn't it be different in the 15th Century?
>>
>>531077
If there are no specific historical characters, there must at least be the names of historical "roles" in the communities.
>>
>>531065
>witch hunting
The official stance of the roman catholic church for the middle ages was that witches don't exist.

YOU could in in trouble for accusing someone of such a thing.
>there have been pagan rites in southern Italy as far as 20th Century
No. There wasn't.

>Wizardry, witch-hunt was a thing
No, it wasn't. Not until the early modern period in PROTESTANT lands.

>part of christianization.
False

>I believe a lot of pagan practices survived for a long time in Europe.
In bumfuck nowhere. It wasn't full scale ooga booga dancing and sacrifices paganism anymore.

Just rustic people giving the spirits their due.
>>
>>531078
>Of course paganism was still around.
touch wood
>>
File: Ouija.jpg (15KB, 209x225px) Image search: [Google]
Ouija.jpg
15KB, 209x225px
>>531053
>In other words, I was wondering if there is any source of pagan practices linked to the "females" of which we have notice.

There.
>>
>>531080
For pagans at the height of Christianity in Europe? Fuck no, what part of underground didn't you get? If they left records talking about roles, practices and ceremonies, they'd be straight fucked if the church got involved. If real pagan practices were performed, they were oral traditions passed down by families and done in secret. Especially among women, if they were caught they'd be burned, no questions asked.

It is also important to note that a lot of pagan traditions and customs live on in Christianity. Christmas, for example, has a lot of pagan in it. So does Halloween(which is technically a Christian holiday, as its roots are tied to All Saints Day and beggars offering prayers in exchange for alms), the Catholic church was willing to do almost anything to get people to join the religion, including adopting pagan customs.
>>
>>531081
>No, it wasn't. Not until the early modern period in PROTESTANT lands.
Eh, Austria and the Hapsburgs had their fair share of witch hunts, so did the French. It was all over Europe during the Thirty Years' War.
>>
>>531091
>No records
Hahahahah

Look at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benandanti

Well, so shouldn't there be something like that even in Germany?

If you don't know the topic, do not claim there is no answer. Just say you do not know.
>>
>>531061
>implying pre-Christian rituals and beliefs didn't survive in rural areas
>>
>myancestorsspeaktome.jpg
>>
>>531094
Damn. I thought I could slip that jab by.
>>531095
>Well, so shouldn't there be something like that even in Germany?
Your logic is flawed.

We have 0 records of anything like that in Germany
>>
File: 1336618571249.jpg (32KB, 218x232px) Image search: [Google]
1336618571249.jpg
32KB, 218x232px
>>531095
>no written records kept by members on ceremonies and practices
>church investigated and immediately claimed they were witches, began inquisition
>wasn't until the 1960s when a real report was filed with more rational and rounded findings

You fucking idiot, that is the story of almost witch trial in history. The pagans themselves never kept records, most of them were illiterate and carrying on an oral tradition. And again, if the church, whose members were literate, found documents detailing their practices, that would be an immediate execution. The only records were, again, made by the church and held extreme bias.

Christ, you must be some retard wiccanfag who thinks these people had fun. News flash, dumbass: Europe hated them and they were driven into hiding for a fucking reason.
>>
>>531123
You'd think wiccafags would already understand their "religion" was made up wholecloth by modern wishful thinkers, deluded feminists, and con men
>>
>>531053
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BirutÄ—
>>
>>531075
ya, and cocaine is illegal in the US. you can go to jail for possession. and yet, the US is the worlds top consumer of coke.
>>
>>531134
Bunch of thieving cunts with no respect or consideration.
>>
File: spice-and-wolf-968159.jpg (141KB, 800x1115px) Image search: [Google]
spice-and-wolf-968159.jpg
141KB, 800x1115px
>>531053

The Golden Borough has some examples of pagan customs which were still held at least in the XIX Century, both in Germanic and Slavic worlds.
You could begin with that and then check for more modern bibliography on the matter.
>>
File: 12.Garden-Brutal_Myths.jpg (374KB, 580x457px) Image search: [Google]
12.Garden-Brutal_Myths.jpg
374KB, 580x457px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_Maleficarum
>>
The witch-cult hypothesis is a discredited theory.
>>
>>531089
>YES
>NO
>MAYBE
>I DON'T KNOW
>CAN YOU REPEAT THE QUESTION
>>
>>531433
This. That book was written by a feminist and got BTFO by actual research.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.