[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Napoleon The Great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12

Russians keep saying they have never been conquered.
>Except that one time Naploeon captured your capital Moscow.
>>
>Manletpoleon
>relevant
>>
Mongols raped Russians back to stone age, and Poles conquered their capital.
Swedes were pretty close to destroying their capital as well as Turks.
>>
>>528697
well i guess the british conquered the united states in 1812 then
>>
>>528723
That was only a raid. They never held the capital.
>>
>>528697

Sankt Petersburg was the capital of Russia when Napoleon conquered Moskau.

Nice try though.
>>
>>528697
Capturing the capital doesn't mean full conquest. I know this is mostly a bait thread, but if the majority of your military is still intact and large amounts of core territory are still unoccupied by the enemy (and are still controlled by the defending authority), then you haven't really been conquered.

That being said, Russia was ACTUALLY conquered by the Mongols, though they were a lot smaller than today at the time since they had yet to conquer Siberia.
>>
>>528697

I advise you to urgently acquaint yourself with the definition of "conquest", friend.
>>
>>528697
They let him take it, you uneducated buffoon
>>
>>528733

Nobody talks to me like that! Draw your sword!
>>
>>528732
>>528733
It's easy to spot the Bolsheviks in here. Taking the capital is conquering the country. It has been that way for thousands of years.
>>
>>528727
and napoleon held moscow for about a month while his entire army died of starvation what a successful victory
>>
>>528741

>Moscow
>Capital in 1812

>american education
>>
>>528739
*unsheathes katana*
*teleports behind you*
Nothing personnel, kid
>>
>>528745
Look at any history book and tell me I'm wrong. I bet you cite something from perezhilton or salon.
>>
>>528741
Conquering a country is when you control all of it's land desc senpai
>>
>>528745
>american
>implying it's not pierre
>>
>>528759
Have you ever played hoi or Europa? You don't need ALL the land to conquer a country.
>>
>>528697
They do not said. You should read about Tatar-Mongol Yoke (1237 – 1480).
>>
>>528741
>Bolsheviks are well known for their defence of Tzarist Russia
Top kek it must be reassuring in life to know that everyone who disagrees with you is just politically misguided
>>
There's so many Russians in this thread mad a manlet conquered them.
>>
File: 1420685358117.jpg (19KB, 344x341px) Image search: [Google]
1420685358117.jpg
19KB, 344x341px
>>528772
>HoI
>Europa
>actual historical accuracy

Pick one and then kill yourself.
>>
File: topkek.png (936KB, 1920x915px) Image search: [Google]
topkek.png
936KB, 1920x915px
>>
>>528772

Are you really using HOI, a video game that uses pseudo-cyrillic font, as proof? .
>>
When Berlin was captured the war ended. What do you Russians have to say to that?
>>
>>528697

No one says that except dan carlin fans.

Also Moscow wasnt the capital.
>>
Why are Russians so proud of never being conquered when its wrong and even tiny countries like Denmark only have been conquered entirely only once in history? Nazi occupation of WW2 to be exact.

It's really nothing special.
>>
File: Napoleon_-_2.jpg (201KB, 841x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon_-_2.jpg
201KB, 841x1200px
>>528697
I don't even get why he's stereotyped as being a literal midget anyways, he's about as a tall as a chinese guy [spoiler]and he was hot when he was desu[/spoiler].
>>
>>528988
Because no all our teens are know history enough.
>>
>>528697
I'm what some would call a Napolaboo. Whilst Napoleon did severely wreck the Russians on his approach to Moscow, Alexander abandoned the city and sparked fires throughout it. I hardly call that conquering, Tsar Alexander honestly did look like he would fight to his death.

Napoleons retreat from Russia was amazingly catastrophic as shown in this famous graph >>528945

>>528995
British propaganda portrayed him that way so much that he has become a stereotype for short angry men, often applied to Hitler as well. From memory he was above average height but the French inch was bigger than the English inch and so he was confused as short
>>
>Russia
>worth conquering

Pick one amigo
>>
>>528757
What is Saint Petersburg?
>>
>>529021
they got some nice soil desu
>>
>>528697
Why aggressors-losers so popular above defenders-winners? Is this temper of mankind or simply culture of respecting old national rulers?
>>
>>528988

In my experience it isnt russians. Its americans/europeans who hear the never invade russia from the east/General Winter meme and just take it as fact.
>>
>>529016
>Whilst Napoleon did severely wreck the Russians on his approach to Moscow, Alexander abandoned the city and sparked fires throughout it. I hardly call that conquering, Tsar Alexander honestly did look like he would fight to his death.

Are you retarded?
Dozens of battles happened on the road to Moscow, just because the Russians lost all of them and kept retreating doesnt mean they didnt try to resist
Do I even need to bring up Borodino, where the Russians threw all they had to prevent the fall of Moscow?
>>
>>529040
This. It is like people always forget that Russians die from that same winter too.
>>
>>529047
I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. All I meant was he didn't conquer 'Russia' but Moscow, as Alexander had not yet surrendered and Russia is absolutely fucking massive with an enormous population
>>
>>529040
>russia from the east

*from the west.
>>
>>528727
Napoleon didn't stick round in moscow either
>>
>>529039
In this very case it makes sense
Napoleon was a progressive and very talented leader trying to achieve peace on a backward-minded continent

Meanwhile, Tsar Alexander was a retarded tyrant who doomed hundreds thousands of his own civilians to starvation with his scorched earth strategy just to avoid having to come back in an economical system Napoleon etablished, and this because he was convinced the man was the Antichrist...

It was literally genius and progress VS mental illness and feudalism
>>
Russian will never be conquered for the same reason USA will never be conquered.
>>
>>529079
>Napoleon was a progressive and very talented leader
Give me examples of progressive and talanted works of King and Emperor Napoleon I.
>Tsar Alexander was a retarded tyrant
Emperor Alexander I was liberal of Switzerland school and reformer. Reforms of Alexander I did not translated to English into wikipedia, may be just as Cold War echo. So read this:
http://www.translate.ru/siteTranslation/9a8c66ee554c44b38058b245132ea84b/
>>
File: 1442546046147.png (954KB, 3564x1870px) Image search: [Google]
1442546046147.png
954KB, 3564x1870px
>>529163
>Give me examples of progressive and talanted works of King and Emperor Napoleon I.
>>
File: 1451491613330.gif (408KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1451491613330.gif
408KB, 500x373px
>>528754
>>
Taking the capital != conquered
>>
...In April 1789 Napoleon I was sent as deputy commander in Seurre for the suppression of hungry rebellion. Napoleon I participated in the suppression of hungry rebellions, but it was one of the early supporters of the society of friends of the constitution. Napoleon I was king not to the right of the royal blood, but by right of the dictator...
>>
File: 1451809790376.png (340KB, 1280x711px) Image search: [Google]
1451809790376.png
340KB, 1280x711px
>>529167
the anglosphere uses the red one that makes it the best
>>
didn't Poles conquer Moscow for like 2 years
>>
File: 1452295127421s.jpg (2KB, 118x125px) Image search: [Google]
1452295127421s.jpg
2KB, 118x125px
>>529167
Derived from Roman law
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/Napoleonic-law.html
>>
>>528945

Is this chart accurate? How is this even possible? This is insane.
>>
>>529220
this argument could be applied to literally every existing law system
>>
>>528945
can someone explain this to a retard?
>>
>>528703
How is Napoleon not relevant?
>>
>>529219
Americans don't know this so it never happened.
>>
>>529363

The width of the line is the number of troops. The length is the distance marched.
From 422,000 to 10,000.
>>
>>529363
>>529406
Beige is heading to Moscow, black is the retreat
>>
>>529426
Weird. It seems that he lost more men while getting to Moscow than on the way back.
>>
>>529252
During the French offensive and their onslaught towards Moscow (during the Summer/Autumn), the Russian Cossacks were ordered to burn down villages and farms to make it impossible for the French to live off the land. This extended the French supply lines waaaay to far and made them vulnerable to attack and made it almost impossible to adequately supply the French troops, especially when the winter fell and the retreat began. This forced men to head of hunting and gathering in small parties during the night who were then picked off by the waiting Russian horse men.

Once they finally reached Moscow, Napoleon was let with an abandoned city and many of the important buildings had been set alight. As the winter drew closer Napoleon waited in Moscow for the Tsar Alexander to surrender; with each day he waited his situation becoming worse. Napoleon pushed forward out of Moscow but once again the Russians retreated Napoleon, completely lacking the rations and winter clothes needed, knew a decisive battle would never be allowed by the Russians and so was forced to retreat.

As they retreated the Russian winter fell and temperatures plummeted to as low as -40C. The French horses were unable to be fed with the frozen countryside and were thus killed and eaten by the starving French troops. Many French Troops simpy collapsed from exhaustion, starvation and exposure where they froze to death or were captured. With supply lines cut off the Grande Armee fell to pieces and was attacked by small units of Cossacks and peasants picking off the stragglers and hunters. Of the 600,000 soldiers sent to Russia only 25,000 remained fit with 100,000 captured and almost 400,000 killed.
>>
>>529450
well, he was invading russia you know, and...
>>
>>529492
He was winning super hard while the Russians were retreating. Unfortunately Napoleon didn't know what season came after autumn and that this season might be quite severe in Russia. I assume some of his commanders might've advised him not to do this and focus on different regions for now but he was the god of war.
>>
>>529509
He knew perfectly well from his studies of King Charles XII of Sweden's campaign that the Russian winter could become as low as -67C. He just pushed his luck waiting for Russian surrender in Moscow
>>
>>529545
>as low as -67C
maybe somethere in Siberia, but not in Europeian part of Russia
>>
File: Napoleon_bonaparte.jpg (150KB, 600x890px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon_bonaparte.jpg
150KB, 600x890px
Which Napoleon haircut do you prefer? The young one or the old one?
>>
>>528965
Not Russian, but pretty much the majority of the rest of Germany was captured when that happened
>>
Could someone recommend me the best book on Napoleon?
>>
>>528741
>byzantine empire loses it's capital to catholic knights in the fourth crusade
>re-establishes government in Nicea
No-one claimes that the byzantine empire was conquered, they merely had their capital city taken off them for a period of time.

Also St. Petersburg was the capital of russia in 1812
>>
>Russians
>Never conquered
>Implying they weren't fucked up the Mongols

Mongols did it during the winter and everything. Frozen swamps and rivers meant their horses could move with more ease.
>>
File: 910hdLwZSkL.jpg (901KB, 1651x2560px) Image search: [Google]
910hdLwZSkL.jpg
901KB, 1651x2560px
>>530128
My personal rec
>>
>>530186
Roberts is sickeningly biased. He feels compelled to defend Napoleon, which wouldn't be so bad if he didn't resort to imageboard-tier arguments such as whatabouttery. He should be held as an example of "if he can get into academia, then so can I".
>>
>>530262
>imageboard-tier arguments such as whatabouttery.
Whats wrong with that? His laws were remarkably progressive for his time.
>>
>>528703
Get out
>>
>>528703
>this meme again
Yeah he was tall for the time at 5'10".
>>
File: byRR_Palmer.jpg (19KB, 234x346px) Image search: [Google]
byRR_Palmer.jpg
19KB, 234x346px
>>528757
How about I cite picrelated, the single most respected European History textbook by the titan of European history, R.R. Palmer? As an American, you bring shame upon our country. Now get the fuck off /his/ and never return.
>>
>>529491
it's also worth noting that the Alexander studied and understood Napoleon's grand strategy for victory, and refused to play along and be baited into it.

Napoleon's winning strategy wasn't a full conquest or holding of territory, it was knocking out the enemy army in a quick decisive battle, enough to completely cripple a nation's military in just a few days.

Napoleon believed that his invasion of Russia would compel the Russians to send a massive army to be wiped away by his troops, but Alexander never allowed it to happen, and knew that the longer Napoleon remained in Russia, the weaker his army became.

Russia's leadership knew that time was completely on their side, and letting the cold kill them while the army harassed them every step of the way was enough to ruin the French army beyond recovery.
>>
>>529167
when did the jews get jurisdiction over the oceans?
>>
>>533333
when did the jews get jurisdiction over those dubs?
>>
File: feee.jpg (7KB, 180x279px) Image search: [Google]
feee.jpg
7KB, 180x279px
>>534223
>>
Napoleon took Moscow but never conquered Russia. Shortly after taking Moscow winter set in and his Grande Armee was driven out of Russia and all the way back to Paris. Napoleon took a pile of ash. The Russians burnt it to the ground, it was hardly a prize to begin with.
>>
>>530262
>He feels compelled to defend Napoleon, which wouldn't be so bad if he didn't resort to imageboard-tier arguments such as whatabouttery.

So you'd rather judge Napoleon with your modern standards than wonder "what about the other leaders of his time and how did they compare to him"?
>>
>>528697
St Petersburg was the Capital
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.