[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any /his/tory teachers here? How do you engage your students

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: dc75dRdc9.jpg (20KB, 364x329px) Image search: [Google]
dc75dRdc9.jpg
20KB, 364x329px
Any /his/tory teachers here? How do you engage your students and have them appreciate/enjoy/understand the subject without overwhelming them? Got any horror stories?
>>
>>528164
My concentration for my students is to teach them historical thinking skills.

>pic related

If they can demonstrate in their own words how to apply these skills to the historical content we are covering, then we are both succeeding; them as as student and I as a teacher.

I do a lot think pair share, project based learning, and interactive roleplaying. Toward the end of the year I really stress how history is contingent by asking them how events could have been different, this allows them to think critically while also having fun by re-writing history.

My students have some of the highest test scores when it comes to state and federal testing, but I'm not going to lie, the community I teach at is very homogeneous, which helps.
>>
>>528164
>>528199
Forgot pic
>>
>>528164
I'm going to be on for about an hour, feel free to ask me more specific question OP while I'm here.
>>
>>528324
At what level do you teach? Did you at any point had to deal with middle school or under? (I know this might be insulting for some people but you have to pay your bills and not everyone can get into academia)
Any student horror stories?
Any faculty horror stories?
What was the time you felt you were at a worst as a teacher?
How was your first time? Did it hurt?
What are your thoughts on common core? Are you aware of other systems from around the world?
>>
1/2
>>528389
>At what level do you teach? Did you at any point had to deal with middle school or under? (I know this might be insulting for some people but you have to pay your bills and not everyone can get into academia)

I teach 8th grade U.S. History and 7th grade World History. I prefer this age group.

>Any student horror stories?
Not really, I had one girl who was completely disrespectful to her parents in a teacher parent conference and I made it clear to her she was not going to talk to her parents like that in front of me or their would be consequences. Most of my students are good kids, sometimes they go through personal issues like divorce or parents getting re-married but its not identify these issues early if you are in good communication with the school counselor and parents.

>Any faculty horror stories?
Oh God, yes. The first thing I would recommend to you, if you are a new teacher, is avoid the teachers lounge. It's just a place where teachers kiss administrations ass constantly and bitch about their students. I personally can't stand other teachers. I keep a good relationship with a few from our History department, but other than that, I'm only there for the parents and the students. Remember that, students and parents come first. Administration can go fuck themselves.

This of course, doesn't mean you shouldn't participate in school cultural and events. You should. But I recommend you eat lunch in your classroom to avoid the drama that comes with faculty and administration, and the bullshit that comes along with the union as well.

>What was the time you felt you were at a worst as a teacher?
I don't think I ever felt I was "at a worst". I do however, think that making mistakes is part of the profession. Not every lesson plan you create is going to have the response/outcome you desire. Simply make not of this, change it for the future and hope you can improve the following year. You have to be comfortable with possible failure, especially your
>>
2/2
>>528389
>>528497
first few years.

>How was your first time? Did it hurt?
This questions sounds kind of provocative, but whatever. I was a little nervous the first time I started Substituting, but your training from the credential program will kick in and you will learn how to manage your classroom.

>What are your thoughts on common core? Are you aware of other systems from around the world?

Yes I am aware of other education systems in Europe, Australia, and India. I really like how some education systems put kids on a vocational track or college track with an option to move between the two if they perform well, or desire a change. This, along with real word internship and application in high school is a great thing. Also, a class on parenthood as seniors is a great idea as well, considering most of the students in class will, at some point, become parents themselves.

As for Common core, it is a breath of fresh air. As long as I am teaching my students how to write and think historically using historical thinking skills, I am free to teach the specific historical material I choose. This is fascinating, because as you may already know, some teachers are going to be stronger in other areas of history than in others, allowing them to create better lessons and unit plans for their students.
>>
>>528497
>I prefer this age group.
Really? I would had assumed that they are the worst, all the energy and anger of the teens without their rationality, all the spasms of little kids without their innocence. What makes you like them?

>and I made it clear to her she was not going to talk to her parents like that in front of me or their would be consequences.
boss as fuck.
do you have a chance to help them a bit with personal problems or there's a politic preventing you from getting too nosey?

>>528517
I had heard bad things about common core, things like too much focus on STEM and university, but I like theidea that the teacher directs his class towards his strenghts.
>>
>>528590
>Really? I would had assumed that they are the worst, all the energy and anger of the teens without their rationality, all the spasms of little kids without their innocence. What makes you like them?

What you are going to find out is that you have to go where your personality is best suited. Middle School students (especially the 6th and 7th graders still act like children and have some respect for authority. I can get away with certain humor (that fits my personality) in these classes that simply would not work on a high school class.
Again, I can't emphasis enough, your own personal personality and character (along with your passion for the historical content in those grades) should be the driving force behind the grade level you choose.

>do you have a chance to help them a bit with personal problems or there's a politic preventing you from getting too nosey?

You have to be careful here, you can do things to make them more comfortable in your class while they are going through personal emotional issues, but anything greater, I recommend taking it to the school counselor. This is good for a couple of reasons: First, your ass is covered incase the problem (for whatever reason) escalates, and two, you can help the student along if the counselor deems it beneficial and conducive for the student (usually this is a matter of trust; the student trusts you). Either way, this puts it on someone else and not entirely on you. I'ver heard horror stories of how students/parents have fucked over teachers for getting to personal in their domestic affairs.

>I had heard bad things about common core
I use common core now. Trust me, if you want to teach kids student historical thinking skills, common core is the best legislation for the 21st century in History education.
>>
File: 61b.jpg (51KB, 259x259px) Image search: [Google]
61b.jpg
51KB, 259x259px
>tfw my former history teacher could be lurking on 4chan nextdoor to the hardcore board
>>
File: 1413423401015.gif (119KB, 384x408px) Image search: [Google]
1413423401015.gif
119KB, 384x408px
>>529207
>>529207
>>
>>528737
>common core is the best legislation for the 21st century in History education.
i'm telling /pol/
>>
>>528497
>living in a state where teachers are allowed to have unions
>>
File: 00195232.0005.png (21KB, 150x146px) Image search: [Google]
00195232.0005.png
21KB, 150x146px
>schoolteachers are posting on 4chan

I thought they said you'd grow out of it.
>>
File: 1390868620440.png (102KB, 321x326px) Image search: [Google]
1390868620440.png
102KB, 321x326px
>>529240
>>529207
>there are some school's teachers right now, lurking, meming, fapping.
>>
File: 1414989875747.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1414989875747.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>529289
>this thread could, through some forced and very strange circumstances, end up like of those jav videos.
>>
Sorry about your thread OP
>>
File: DSC_1012.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1012.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
I'm a primary school teacher teaching 8/9/10/11 year olds.

I do a lot of work teaching children how to ask questions to further their knowledge. I also like using hotseating and what if questions. I teach history as part of literature in an integrated international curriculum. It's nice to link history to other subjects although if I had a choice I would teach history only.

I agree with the guy who said avoid administration and the staffroom it's toxic. I only care about the profession.

PIC related. Asking questions about some Bosch paintings.
>>
>>529207

>tfw your government teacher browses the hentai board and baneposts
>>
>>528199
>My students have some of the highest test scores when it comes to state and federal testing, but I'm not going to lie, the community I teach at is very homogeneous, which helps.

lol is that code for "white"?
>>
>>529829
probably just rich
>>
>>529789
>I teach history as part of literature in an integrated international curriculum
what does that mean? it's some regional thing?

>postits over paintings and questioning certain elements.
I really like that excercise
>>
>>529844
Yeah it's the international system the school I teach in uses (Paris).

I didn't word it right but it's a cross curricular approach where you teach' 'topic' lessons that integrate literature and history/geography.
>>
>>528497
Coach Fizzel is that you
>>
>>528164
Join the fucking union.
>>
>>529829
Never mind white - do you have any idea how hard it is to teach a class where half the students don't have English as their first language?
>>
>>530747
I teach in an international school. None of the students speak English fluently. Just modify your lesson plans to account for this senpai.
>>
OP here. I'm being tapped next year to teach AP even though I've never taught at any level. It's a new school and I just got my teaching certificate, however they don't even have a concrete social studies dept. The students should be easier to handle since it's a magnet program and AP kids are less shitty, but I'm afraid of not being able to deliver these kids what they need for the AP exam. Help.
>>
>>528164
I taught politics at a college level (as a TA), not history, but my worst historical horror story was a student who in a capstone paper made reference to "Hitler's revolt in the 60s." That is a direct quote.
>>
>>530764
For clarification, they want me to do Human Geo and APUSH. The latter I love, I remember being the best student in my APUSH and I know my old teacher can help me content wise and with advice.

I have 7 months before I start, I'm thinking of leaving my current desk job around May to really focus on putting together the classes. Will this be enough time?
>>
>>529829
Mostly Asian and White

>>530774
Is your school providing you with resources. If not, consider DBQs (document based questions). If you have 7months, that is more than enough time to prepare unit DBQs for AP students.
>>
>>531190
Not sure yet.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.