[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did the Byzantines think of the Sassanids once they were gone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 31582.jpg (126KB, 1400x808px) Image search: [Google]
31582.jpg
126KB, 1400x808px
What did the Byzantines think of the Sassanids once they were gone?
>>
File: arab1.jpg (55KB, 859x487px) Image search: [Google]
arab1.jpg
55KB, 859x487px
What I mean by this, is that the downfall of Persia came so suddenly it must have certainly had some sort of impact on Greek thinking.

Were there any major discussions on the legacy of the Sassanids from Greek scholars or politicians?
>>
>>524399

Considering that many Eastern Romans thought their own falling under the control of the Arabs was an act of divine punishment, they probably saw the fall of the Sassanids at the hands of the Arabs as the infidels getting just what they deserved.
>>
>>524399
That said: whatever happened to the Sassanid Emperor and his Dynasty when the Ayyrabs invaded??
>>
>>524482
Sacked and pillaged.

But the Zoroastrians were mainly left alone due Jiyza tax.

That all changed over time however as fire temples were destroyed and the Sassanid's legacy was extinguished.
>>
>>524482
Google is your friend:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroz_III#Life
In short: they fled to China. Many of them.

Peroz became a Chinese noble and respected at court. Was also sent to Western China to be a governor there.

The last Sassanid Prince, Narsieh, became a member of the Imperial Guards. He married a Chinese woman and adopted the surname "Li" in honor of the T'ang Emperors (also Li's)
>>
>>524399
To be honest, they didn't think it was a big change. Whether it was Sassanids, Arabs, or Turks, they were all 'Persians' to them.
>>
>>524498

That's interesting as fuck.
>>
>>524408
>Sardinia included

into the trash it goes
>>
>>524773
This. To them they were all just eastern pagans that were powerful and civilized enough to be treated a step above other foreign nations.
>>
File: 1410214492330.jpg (483KB, 708x826px) Image search: [Google]
1410214492330.jpg
483KB, 708x826px
Obligatory
>>
>>524878
The amount of persian aristocracy in 700's-900's China was quite much to the point that it was fashionable among Chinese aristocracy to keep a Persian Mistress.

The following is an account on the life of King Liu Chang, during the T'ang-Song Interregnum known as "Five Dynasties and 10 Kingdoms"
>When Liu became Emperor, he was sixteen years old. During reign, he spent most of his time having sexual intercourse with women, including Persian women (波斯女子)who were prominent in his harem.
>His particular favourite was one young girl he nicknamed "beautiful sow" or "Seductive Pig" (媚猪) (Mei Zhu or Mei Chu).[4] Liu doted on this young Persian woman,[5][6][7] who was also reportedly sixteen years old. The Persian girl was called a "princess"
>Liu liked the Persian girl (Mei Zhu) because of her brown skin color. He and the Persian girl also liked to forced young couples to go naked and played with them in the palace.
>Descriptions of the sexual activities between Liu Chang and the Persian woman in the Song dynasty book the "Ch'ing-i-lu" by T'ao Ku were so graphic that the "Memoirs of the Research Department of the Toyo Bunko (the Oriental Library), Issue 2" refused to provide any quotes from it while discussing the subject.
>>
>>524399
Why does that map show several major cities in the Roman empire, but only one for the Sassanids?
>>
>>525263
eurocentricism lad
>>
File: 1443153353232.jpg (3MB, 4707x3333px) Image search: [Google]
1443153353232.jpg
3MB, 4707x3333px
>>525291
>tfw all these cities deep in the Sahara Desert
>>
>>525322
I'm talking about Persia not the Sahara
>>
>>525035
>I did things so debauched future historians won't even be able to talk about it
I want this to be my epitaph
>>
I remember some Persian nobles-general working for the ERE after Sassanids got destroyed by muslims.

Also later on Caliphate was recognized as a major world power. Can't remember who-where but a Byzantine text calls Caliphate and Roman Empire as "greater powers".
>>
Was there any sizable community of Christians in Persia before the arrival of Islam? How were they treated by the government and the pagan population?
>>
they probably looked at their conflicts with nostalgia, seeing as islam completely destroyed both of them
>>
>>526555
Historically Zoroastrians tended to be pretty tolerant of other religions, but I don't know about the Sassanids specifically.

Also, the Zoroastrians aren't pagan. Their religion was just as organized as Christianity.
>>
>>526555
yes, but mostly confined to mesopotamia (which was majority Christian, actually). Sometimes they were persecuted, sometimes they were left alone.
>>
>>524773
>>524994

Roman mindset changed massively after the fall of the Persians. From thereon they were always on the defensive. Against the persians it was a continuous struggle back and forth. Against the arabs, it was always just holding onto what they still had, tooth and nail.
>>
>>525322

No Siwah? Or is that Ammonium?
>>
>>526986
>Historically Zoroastrians tended to be pretty tolerant of other religions,

They were fairly tolerant of Christianity, but only the Nestorian kind because it opposed the Church of Rome/Constantinople. Jews also had a certain amount of autonomy in their provinces.

As far as groups like Manichaeans or different sects within Zoroastrianism itself, they were not known for a huge amount of tolerance when it came to them.
>>
>>525035
l-lewd
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.