[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me more about Songhai /his/? How influential was it to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: songhai.jpg (51KB, 520x236px) Image search: [Google]
songhai.jpg
51KB, 520x236px
Tell me more about Songhai /his/?

How influential was it to the modern world, Africa and Europe?
Was it as prosperous as some people would believe?
How were the living conditions?
>>
Like most African cultures they were more advanced and prosperous than they get credit for, but again, like most African cultures the impact they had was fleeting
>>
>>520618
Probably the most advanced "black" African civilizations- along with Mali. They were heavily influnced by Islamic culture. unfortunately, this didn't deter their "Muslim brothers" from Morocco from sacking their capital city.

Just more evidence that Arabs post-Abbasid era are treacherous scum that only attack when they are backstabbing or against the weak. Honestly, the Islamic world would now be better without them.

oh and your question OP... they were pretty ebbin I guess...
>>
>>520673
/int/ is that way>>>
>>
>>520683
this honestly
>>
>>520618
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songhai_Empire
"At the top were noblemen and direct descendants of the original Songhai people, followed by freemen and traders. At the bottom were war captives and European slaves obligated to labor, especially in farming."

I guess Europeans got their revenge on west africa
>>
>>521908
I think the Europeans, like Africans, traded the slaves. This is also fact in the kingdom of Kongo, Spaniards help build up the capital by using their slaves because Spain and Kongo had a pretty bro-tier relationship.
>>
>>520618
>How influential was it to the modern world, Africa and Europe?

It was pretty big in Africa, for some reason Songhai and most of West Africa pretty much hated the Dogon people. It wasn't so much in Europe besides trade.

>Was it as prosperous as some people would believe?

I say anyone who knows about Songhai has done their research and knows it was a pretty great kingdom. A lot of normies don't know shit about Songhai though.
>>
>>521918
when did europeans stop enslaving other europeans? tv and such make it look like it all stopped after the roman empire fell
>>
>>521925
Well, slavery wasn't always about race. The first slaves on a global scale were criminals in British typically the Irish and the criminals and enemies of the Ashanti.
>>
>>521925
>when did europeans stop enslaving other europeans?

Only counting "economic" slavery proper, not "white slavery"

Hungarian revolution when the last of Hungarian serfdom was abolished?
>>
>>521925
Depends if you mean straight-up owning people or serfdom. Slavery (i.e people as property) was common around Europe until at least the 11-12thC, and probably after (I haven't done any real research), and serfdom (which I would consider just a step above) lasted until the 19th-early 20th.
>>
>>521933
It was actually never about race.
>>
>>520683
This is the reaction I get when arabs say a new caliphate would be a good thing.
They fucking betrayed the last one if the prophet would be caliph he would have deported them all.
>>
>>521925
Slavery of other whites was still quite common for much of European history. It died down and got replaced primarily by African slaves for a few reasons.

1. Feudal lords tend not to appreciate it when some trader sells their serfs into slavery. In the earlier ages when feudalism was still growing plenty of "white" areas hadn't adopted it (or Christianity) yet, so traders could still get their slaves from areas like Finland, the Baltic, Russia, etc, but as it expanded white slaves (and slaves in general) became a rarity in Europe until the Atlantic slave trade took off.

2. African slaves were much cheaper than European ones, as the dying down of slavery during feudal times made them more of a luxury than a necessity as they were seen in Africa.

3. African slaves were better suited to the climate in places like the Caribbean or South America than Europeans

It should be noted that Africans still weren't the only type of slaves in the Americas, and indeed there were white slaves too, as well as native Americans.

There were Asian slaves as well, most of them from Japan via Portugal, but generally they were kept as sort of luxury curiosities to show off to your friends, rather than as workers on a plantation, as even during this time the Far East was still seen as a sort of magical and mysterious place. Japanese slaves were also often kept for sexual purposes, sometimes even being given to other slaves as concubines. You don't hear too much about the Asian slave trade though because it was rather short-lived, only 50 or so years, as both the Japanese and Portuguese royals didn't like it and banned it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.