[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
>Claim your state is called Scotland,...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 15
File: 11th century.gif (27 KB, 325x447) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
11th century.gif
27 KB, 325x447
>Claim your state is called Scotland, because it's inhabited by the Scots, who speak scottish

>Not even 5% of the people can speak scottish

Can someone explain this to me? Scottish language was the dominant language of the native people, before being just swept away by the english with the english language (today called scots dialect)

Are Scottish people aware they're at this point just England with a funny accent?

Pic 1 is a language map of Scotland in the 12th century
>>
Pic 2 is a language map of Scotland in the 21th century
>>
So what do you propose, that we rename it to northern England you fucking idiot?
>>
They save face by calling the local variety Scots and claiming it's a different language.
>>
>>517234

Since none speak Scottish, and thus are not of Scottish ethnicity, there's absolutely no reason to call it Scotland
>>
>>517241
Why not call America "England-over-the-Sea" then? The overwhelming majority of the population of the US dont speak any native languages, so how can they be real americans?
>>
>>517241
>claim your state is now called soviet union
>no such language

>claim your state is nazi germany
>german is now dialect
WTF
>>
>>517236

How's that saving any face, if by modern linguists "Scots" is a "dialect" of the english language
>>
>>517229
Eh Ireland is almost as bad. English is the main there too and Eire is the secondary.
>>
>>517246

Americans don't claim their nationality and the name of their state based on ethnicity or language, but based on citizenship.

Scotland, however, gets it's name from the fact that the scottish people live in it, that have a scottish language. Or calling it England when only arabians with no clue in english live inside it. Or calling it Germany when there's no german speaker to be found in it. It's the same thing.
>>
I don't know where that map is from, but it is largely inaccurate, Old English and Cumbric were far more dominant in the lowlands than the map shops, it seems this map is more based on the control of the territory at the time, rather than the actual language of the region. Considering for most of their history the territories that today make up the Lowlands were controlled by an Anglo-Saxon Kingdom (Northumbria in the east) or were one themselves (Strathclyde in the west)

Even today the majority of Scots are descended from the Anglo-Saxon lowlanders, rather than the Gaelic Highlanders, and by the 1200s the Gaels who's only achievement in Scotland was the formation of the Kingdom had lost all political power with lowland nobility holding the throne.

the Old English and Cumbric in the lowlands was always of a distinct variety, and did for obvious reasons fall in line with the reformed English used in England after the Union of the crowns, yes the language isn't Scottish, but that does not necessarily mean the people who live there aren't.

By the same logic Americans shouldn't call themselves American, because they don't speak American, and aren't the true ethnic Americans.

>>517241
The Lowland Anglo-Saxon Scots always made up an ethnic majority even during the Gealic conquest due to the higher population in the lowlands, and always have been Scots, and now too make up the majority of the population due to Lowland landlords forcefully evicting Highlanders from their land in the 18th and 19th centuries, with more now living abroad than int he United Kingdom

>>517236
No one here claims it's a language other than some very hard independence supporters in the central belt, it's a dialect, that's all, and for most of the country's history that dialect and early variations was the dominant tongue
>>
>>517241

>Claim your state is called America, Because its inhabited by the americans, who speak American

>0% of the population speak american, it doesn't exist as a language

Gee wizz, its almost like we don't name countries after languages. Like how switzerland isn't called "German-French-Italy" or the papal states aren't called "Little Italy"

You are literally retarded, you know that right?
>>
>>517262
But that's not true, Scotland like all parts of the UK and Europe too get their nationality from citizenship


>Or calling it England when only arabians with no clue in english live inside it.

You do know the UK has less non-english speakers than the USA?
>>
>>517262

Mate, nobody in fucking scotland calls it scotland because of the language you fucking drongo

Its called that because its filled with Scots, an ethncity the result of Saxons, irish and norwegians raping the fuck out of picts and churning out a culture of folks who were barbarians up until about 200 years ago by anybodies standards and a bunch of dirty cunts.

Most of them smarter than you, by the sounds of it.
>>
>>517255

Eire is the country you fuckwit, Gaelige the language.
>>
>>517264
>B-but muh amuricuh
see>>517262

>>517269
There was no such thing as citizenship in the 12th century. In Europe most of the time, states got their names based on the people who live in it. Case in point, Scotland being once majority Scottish took it's name from the fact that people had their own ethnicity and language.

>>517273
Scots are a celtic ethnicity. There is no evidence to assume the Dal Riata took over the picts violently. Infact their cultures merged since it suggests the Picts were celts themselves, and it resulted in the statehood of Scotland, whereas the anglo-saxons made their way into lowland Scotland as an invading conquering force.
>>
>>517273
noice
>>
>>517296

>Somebody uses your exact point against you
>Use another point

>Somebody uses that exact point you've used
>Ignore it

Yeah you're just a pure intellectual capable of hard hitting conversation huh?
>>
>>517263
>The Lowland Anglo-Saxon Scots always made up an ethnic majority even during the Gealic conquest due to the higher population in the lowlands

"Majority" is a pretty big word for owning a piece of territory in the lowlands from Northumbria. It's only in later centuries that the anglo-saxons took over, making up the majority of the lowlands as you claim.

Until then they were a minority, and certainly in no case considered "Scottish"
>>
>>517248
because the difference between language and dialect is arbitrary
>we always spoke "Scots"
>Gaelic was never spoken in these lowlands here, no siree
>>
>>517296
>Scots are a celtic ethnicity. There is no evidence to assume the Dal Riata took over the picts violently. Infact their cultures merged since it suggests the Picts were celts themselves, and it resulted in the statehood of Scotland, whereas the anglo-saxons made their way into lowland Scotland as an invading conquering force.

Yes, but the Gaels were never the majority, the majority of the population always considered of the Picts in the Highlands until the Gaelic conquest, and continually in the south, the Pictish and Anglo-Saxon populations, and together those people made up the Scots.

For the period of history where the Gaelic nobility held onto power until the Lowland Anglo-Saxon nobles rose to powers during the 13th century, there was never no unified national language until the lowland Old English dialects began spreading, which later was standardised into English after the Union of the crowns, Gaelic always was a minority language localised to the lowlands, the Scots are as Celtic as the English
>>
>>517323
>they always spoke Gaelic
>a Dialect of old english was never spoken at all, just english propaganda against the proud celtic people
>>
>>517312
Ignore what? You're comparing apples and oranges.

Fact of the matter is language played in important part of naming your state during medieval times, and in most cases, the tradition helped shaped the modern countries of today. It's only relatively recently that westerners developed the concept of nationality based on citizenship, but it's you who seems to ignore that, not me.
>>
>>517255
>English is the main there too and Eire is the secondary.
>>
>>517255
>calling the language Eire
how do you even this meme
>>
Why do Americans have such a hard on for Celtic supremacy over the evil Anglo man

"Irish-American" organisations funding the IRA
>>
>>517229
OP is probably the biggest faggot in the world
>>
>>517367
wasn't that obvious?
>>
>>517362

Because the english came, they raped, they conquered, they destroyed every bit of celtic heritage left in Britannia (Also a word referring to the celts)
>>
>>517255
Gaeilge is the legally the first language of anyone with Irish citizenship

'tis in the constitution
>>
Silly thread. Scotland/Scots is their name in English derived from Latin.

In Gaelic languages they called the nation on its foundation "Alba".

slash thread
B^}
>>
Also Irish posters are awful, like insecure adolescents, and so easily triggered.
>>
>>517391
>People use an exonym to identify themselves instead of using the native names for themselves because of english opression and brainwash

Wow, you don't say.
>>
>>517375
No it isn't. It's legally the first official language of the state because it's the "national language" by the constitution's reckoning. There isn't any legal concept defined with regard to a citizen's first language however.
>>
>>517399
Yes, when they're speaking the English language, of course and it is derived from Latin, initially referring to Irish pirates, I don't know if you failed to see that...
>>
>>517362
I'm the OP and no i'm not american.
>>
>>517241
That's not how ethnicity works
>>
>>517437
ethnicity

ɛθˈnJsJti/

noun
noun: ethnicity; plural noun: ethnicities

-the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
>>
>>517448
heroin addiction is a common cultural tradition
>>
>>517452
No, it really isn't. I still fail to see your point.
>>
>>517467
you must be dense then or have 0 patter
>>
>>517474
As if "that's not how it works" is any less condescending. State your point of don't bother.
>>
>>517247
underrated post
>>
>>517229
Almost entire South America speaks Spanish but they're not part of Spain.
Ironically, Spanish themself will never tell you that they talk Spanish. Catalonyan, Castillian - yes, Spanish? No no it's totally different thing, it's just similar señor.


Even better - All Czech Republic citizens speak Czech. Don't tell Moravian that he's a Czech.

Sometimes things just ARE.
>>
>>517247
>>517490
>>517503

*yawn*

You'll have to make a better case for yourselves in an attempt to justify why the state's name, which was founded on the principle of language, shouldn't be changed because the principle was long abandoned.
>>
>>517518
>which was founded on the principle of language
post sources fag
>>
>>517518
Languages are called after state's name, not the other way round.

Case in point - French.
>>
>>517518
You really have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>517525
German language-> German people -> Germany
Polish language ->Polish people -> Poland
Hungarian language -> Hungarian people ->Hungary
Romanian language -> Romanian people -> Romania

Case in point Scottish language, Scottish people, Scotland.

Why should this be the case anymore, if there is no longer a scottish language, or people, making the state's name a relic of the past?

>>517527
France is the exception. Like USA, Canada, and mostly other anglo countries.
>>
>>517545
They never spoke a language called Scottish at the time "Scotland" was founded. In Latin they were referred to as Scots though. Case in point the king of Scotland was known as Rex Scotturum in Latin.
>>
>>517545
so parts of switzerland and austria should be annexed by germany because of the language those people speak? uhh
>>
>>517545
>German language-> German people -> Germany
German was enormously varied between regions. It still partially is.
>Polish language ->Polish people -> Poland
Polish was even more varied and if you went to any town or city in let's say 16th century you'd have easier time talking in some proto-jidish, Pommeranian-German or English than in Polish.
>Hungarian language -> Hungarian people ->Hungary
Wrong. They're Hungarian because of Huns, they call themselves Magyars.
>Romanian language -> Romanian people -> Romania
Absolutely wrong, modern Romanian is almost artificial language(merge between several Wallachian and Moldovian dialects with reformed grammar and vocabulary to remove all slavic influences).
>>
>>517229
Scottish is literally just bad English
>https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland

>Scotland (Gaelic: Alba, Inglis: Scotland) is a kintra in nor-wast Europe, an is ane o the fower kintras[1] that maks the Unitit Kinrick. It taks up the northren thrid o the Breetish island. Scotland haes til its sooth the laund o Ingland, an is bund bi the German Ocean til the eist an the Atlantic Ocean til the north an wast.

>It aforetyms wis a free kinrik, but than Scotland gaed intil a personal union wi Ingland in 1603, whan Jeams VI o Scotland becam Jeams I o Ingland eftir the daith o Elspeth I. This union wis makkit formal on 1 Mey 1707 bi the Treatie o Union. The Scots Pairlament wis gotten rid o on 26 Mairch. The union southert baith kinriks, makkin the Kinrick o Great Breetain, wi a new singil Pairlament haudden in Wastmeinster, Lunnon, but sum pairts o Scotland's institutions, merkit the laund's naitional kirk an skuilin an legal seistems, wis hauden apairt. In 1801, Scotland becam ane o the thrie launds o the Unitit Kinrick, alang wi Ingland an Ireland (nou juist Northren Ireland). Wales is nou seen for uisal as anither laund, awtho it wis juist a principalitie o the kinrik o Ingland in 1707.
>>
>>517575
>They're Hungarian because of Huns
What's with this fucking meme all the time? The word Hungary has nothing to do with Huns, it comes from the word Onogur.
>>
File: 1438611692005.jpg (26 KB, 320x374) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1438611692005.jpg
26 KB, 320x374
>>517567
Why are you clinging on semantics so much. It's clear as day germans don't call their country Germany but Deutschland, and Scots don't call their country Scotland but Alba. What's your point?

>>517574
You're the only one who seems to be talking about annexation m8t

>>517575
>German was enormously varied between regions
And yet they still unanimously call their language "deustch"

>Polish was even more varied and if you went to any town or city in let's say 16th century you'd have easier time talking in some proto-jidish, Pommeranian-German or English than in Polish.
So? It doesn't change the fact that the kings and presidents were highly aware of what their culture was and what lands they ruled.

>they call themselves Magyars
And how do you think they call their state. Are you retarded?

>modern Romanian is almost artificial language
Yeah ok
>>
>>517597
>What's your point?
That yours is utterly facile.
>>
>>517567
Scottis was an English word for Gaelic at one point
>>
>>517620
I have yet to see you prove that, beyond some semantic ramble you deem decisive to the discussion.
>>
>>517241
>France is now one of the largest nations on the planet.
>Spain is too
>>
>>517644
You're really going to have to explain your point to me because if I assume you are OP what you say in the OP is historically incorrect.

For instance you claim the "Scottish language", as if there was ever only one, was swept away by English when infact the language we call Lallans or Scots today is a Germanic language native to Scotland, so you can see why you're not making any sense.

SO can you explain your point please into something coherent that conforms to historical accuracy and isn't confused by modern understandings of ethnicity and the concept of a nation state that isn't being applied retrospectively.

I personally think you confused Scottish Gaelic, known as Gaidhlig, for Scots.
>>
File: jPzxDGJ.gif (2 MB, 288x288) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
jPzxDGJ.gif
2 MB, 288x288
Wait, there is a "scottish" language? What the fuck?
>>
>>517685
>I personally think you confused Scottish Gaelic, known as Gaidhlig, for Scots.
No he hasn't. He's using "Scottish" in it's more original sense to refer to Gaelic, because that's the etymological meaning of Scot.
>>
>>517700
The etymological meaning of Scot is literally an Irish person. Either way, the way he is using it is incorrect.
>>
>>517644
>semantic ramble
is that not the basis for your autistic thread?
>>
>>517685
First off, the distiction between "Scots" and "Scottish gaelic" proper is arbitrary. "Scots" is just english. But i assume this distinction was made just so the english lowlanders could claim their nativity over southern english so they pushed the gaelic speakers aside.

>I personally think you confused Scottish Gaelic, known as Gaidhlig, for Scots.

The distinction is arbitrary. "Scots" is english, Scottish is gaelic.
>>
>>517518

>the state's name, which was founded on the principle of language

But it fucking wasn't

Are you a troll or are you just a supreme retard who knows absolutely nothing about how nations as a construct work
>>
>>517710
>The etymological meaning of Scot is literally an Irish person
The etymological meaning is closer to 'Gael' which is often conflated with Irish because Ireland is the Gaelic homeland.
>>
>>517229

>Who is Benedict Anderson: the post
>>
"English" evolved in (lowland) Scotland together with England. It's just as 'native' there as in England (actually, it goes back further than it does in a lot of modern England).
>>
>>517724
>But it fucking wasn't

Enlighten me then, mister historian.

>>517738
>Came into the celtic pict lands by force of arms
>i-it's n-native guys i swear

Do you even know what the word "native" means?
>>
>>517715
Wrong.
>>
>>517748
What is?
>>
>>517747
So did Gaidhlig.
>>
File: 1437694435900.png (407 KB, 500x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1437694435900.png
407 KB, 500x500
>>517757
Uhh, after the english who invaded first as opposed to the Dal Riatans who merged with the picts, yeah

I can't believe it, you're actually defending the position that there's absolutely no such thing as native people to Scotland, and that the all mighty civilized english simply naturally came to be adopted by everyone, because it's a superior language, and everything is jolly and good today, because english was always meant to be Scotland's national language? Christ...
>>
>>517545
>Case in point Scottish language, Scottish people, Scotland.
>Why should this be the case anymore, if there is no longer a scottish language,
There was never a Scottish language you fuckwit retard.

> or people
There was, and is, a Scottish people.
>>
>>517715
>The distinction is arbitrary. "Scots" is english, Scottish is gaelic.
do you know what arbitrary means?
>>
>>517766
I don't know what you're talking about, you seem to have some weird narrative in your head, but Gaelic languages aren't native to Scotland and were introduced around the same time as the Anglo-Saxon language that became lowland Scottish in what is present day Scotland.

This is basic history you should know if you wish to discuss the subject.
>>
>>517770

Gaelic then, same thing.

>>517780
Yes, the fact of calling the english language something different for some political and social legitimate reasons.

>>517789
>but Gaelic languages aren't native to Scotland

And neither is English.

The language that caused, or rather that completed Scotland's nationhood was gaelic, and that's all there is to know.
>>
>>517574
They really should be desu
>>
>>517802
>Yes, the fact of calling the english language something different for some political and social legitimate reasons.
Refer to:
>>517738

>>517802
>The language that caused, or rather that completed Scotland's nationhood was gaelic, and that's all there is to know.
Language didn't create or cause the nation of Scotland.
>>
>>517802

>The language that caused, or rather that completed Scotland's nationhood was gaelic

What the fuck are you talking about? Language is important but it is not a prerequisite for a national community
>>
>>517817
>Language didn't create or cause the nation of Scotland.

Neither did english.

In fact the english language was met with hostility from the natives, and each chance a king wanted to introduce it, he and his crew of servants were repeatedly slaughtered. Until the english took hold of Scotland, that is.
>>
>>517802
>Gaelic then, same thing.
If it's the same thing then your argument goes out the window. Gaelic was called Irish "erse" in english originally, later it was just called gaelic. It was not the reason the scots were called scots in english, as nobody called the language scottish.

>The language that caused, or rather that completed Scotland's nationhood was gaelic, and that's all there is to know.
a language didn't cause nationhood you fuckwit a political kingdom did
>>
>>517844
>If it's the same thing then your argument goes out the window.

Not really. It's just colloquially easier to refer to the language of the Scots as Scottish rather than to stop like an aspie every time and point out that scientifically it's called "Gaelic" since that's what the etymology of the word implies

>a language didn't cause nationhood you fuckwit a political kingdom did

Yeah, the kingdom should had totally be called something completely else rather than being designated as a land with certain people with a certain language speak, totally.
>>
>>517832
>Neither
Nice to see you admit you're wrong.
>>
>>517844
Gaelic in Scotland was called Scottis before it was called Erse
>>
>>517871

>It's just colloquially easier to refer to the language of the Scots as Scottish rather than to stop like an aspie every time and point out that scientifically it's called "Gaelic"

It's not "colloquial" at all. Literally nobody, and I mean literally nobody calls it Scottish. It's Gaelic, Scots call it Gaelic, English call it Gaelic, fucking everyone calls it Gaelic and you would know this if you weren't some retarded Amerifat butthurt about something he knows literally nothing about
>>
>>517871

>he thinks everyone in the kingdom of England spoke English
>he thinks everyone in the kingdom of France spoke French
>he thinks everyone in the kingdom of the Netherlands spoke Dutch
>he thinks everyone in the kingdom of Jerusalem spoke Jerusalemish

Point and laugh, kids
>>
>>517879

Must be your own cognitive dissonance, because i don't see where i admit anything.

>>517885
>Scots call it Gaelic, English call it Gaelic

Ever stopped to think why? Because it's the english narrative that language has absolutely nothing to do with being a Scot, and that the english are as equally in right to call themselves "Scottish" because they just live in the land of Scotland, despite the history of Scotland proving otherwise. It's purely an anglo thing to do when you define your nationality based on some unsubstantiated crap like citizenship or civic identity. And it seems they managed to push this perspective down the Scots throats as well. They honestly thing the English have the right to call themselves the way they do, even if they live in THE LAND OF THE CELTIC SCOTS

Christ, it's really not that hard to understand this.
>>
>>517871
>Not really. It's just colloquially easier to refer to the language of the Scots as Scottish rather than to stop like an aspie every time and point out that scientifically it's called "Gaelic" since that's what the etymology of the word implies
No you idiot, the language of the Scottish at the moment include Scots, Gaidhlig and English. In the past it has included Norn and Pictish.

In English, the language you're speaking, Scots refers to the particular English dialect that is spoken there and developed concurrently but independently with English in England.

Calling Gaidhlig Scottish is retarded unless you make the differentiation.


>>517871
>Yeah, the kingdom should had totally be called something completely else rather than being designated as a land with certain people with a certain language speak, totally.
That's exactly what happened though...
>>
>>517906
>Must be your own cognitive dissonance, because i don't see where i admit anything.
You disagreed with your previous point Gaelic was the language of the Scots.
:^)
>>
>>517906

>it's really not that hard to understand this.

Of course it is if your ridiculous definition of nationality exclusively bases itself on language which to my knowledge approximately 0 definitions do
>>
>>517906
>THE LAND OF THE CELTIC SCOTS
m8 I'm Irish and this is fucking painful to read. How are you so autistic
>>
>>517906
That happens in Ireland sometimes, when certain people want to separate Irish language from Irish identity - they insist on calling it "Gaelic". It can't really be denied that language can be an important part of ethnic identity politics.
>>
>>517925
>It can't really be denied that language can be an important part of ethnic identity politics.
It can't be denied no, but it doesn't mean it's relevant.
>>
>>517912
> include Scots, and English
So just english.

>Gaidhlig
Is the language the majority of people from Scotland spoke up until forceful anglification towards the Scots. So the language the Scots speak, is Scottish. Why you can't grasp his fact is beyond me.

>Scots refers to the particular English dialect
Implying the Scots are native to Scotland.

So when you want to refer to the people who speak gaelic, they just don't get a separate name for their larger cultural group, like the "Scots" do, and you call them what, Scots-gaelic people? Totally makes sense!

Or maybe Albannaich people? But that's just an endonym for the exonym which refers to Scottish people!

You're really putting yourself into a semantic trap here.
>>
>>517229
>How can belgians be called belgian if they don't speak belgic?
>How can french be called frence if they don't speak Frankish
>How can Bulgaria be called Bulgaria if they don't speak bulgar
>How can russians be called russian if they don't speak old norse

you're a fucking mongoloid
>>
>>517912
>Calling Gaidhlig Scottish is retarded unless you make the differentiation.

I call it irish just fine, without the need to point out every time that the language is in fact called "gaelic"

Stop acting like a sperg.
>>
>>517944
>So the language the Scots speak, is Scottish.
No such thing as the Scottish language. There is Gaelic, Scots and English being spoken in Scotland today.

>they just don't get a separate name for their larger cultural group, like the "Scots" do
They're called scots because that's what they are.
>>
>>517921
First of, your definition of "Scots" is retarded. They're just english. Plain and simple. The Scots i'm referring to entails to those who speak gaelic, because the etymology implies the people called "Scots" are celtic people. Now do you understand now why your shit definition is wrong or not?

>>517923
Except for the dozens or so european countries that already do. Your definition of nationality is based on the anglo perception of nationality, which is that of claiming nationality based on the place you live in, with language having nothing to do with it. And i have demonstrated time and time and again ITT and it does apply to Scotland's case, and it's not "just" a name.
>>
>>517948
>I call it irish just fine, without the need to point out every time that the language is in fact called "gaelic"
you're the sperg. Irish is almost never called Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic is almost always called Gaelic. It's not the same thing

t. Irishman
>>
>>517944
>Is the language the majority of people from Scotland spoke up until forceful anglification towards the Scots. So the language the Scots speak, is Scottish. Why you can't grasp his fact is beyond me.
This is presentist and utterly retarded semantic nonsense that has no basis in reality that you manufactured and cling to as it suits your intentionally facile agenda.

I have utterly no idea what the rest of your post is trying to convey and I really don't care enough to decypher it.
>>
>>517958

>Your definition of nationality is based on the anglo perception of nationality

No, my definition of nationality is based on the existing academic ones

You have demonstrated nothing but your repeated ignorance of 'nation' as a concept and you genuinely need to go and read Benedict Anderson and come back when you have a rudimentary understanding of this subject
>>
>>517948
Ireland doesn't have a separate language refered to as Irish that is different to Gaeilge.
>>
>>517957
Nope. If you dare claim to be a "Scot" then you best know a celtic language. Otherwise fuck off back to england with your pretentious historic revisionism.

>>517960
That's because the Scots are still a province of England. If they were free like Ireland, they'd be calling it Scottish too and there would be no problem in incorporating gaelic to simply mean the day to day language Scottish people do.
>>
>>517958
>the etymology implies the people called "Scots" are celtic people. Now do you understand now why your shit definition is wrong or not?
It implies a member of the nation state of Scotland.

The etymology of Romanian implies that the people are Roman, we both know that ain't true.
>>
>>517958
>First of, your definition of "Scots" is retarded.
His definition of "Scots" is the only correct one.

>They're just english. Plain and simple.
No, the English are a different people. You know this but you're too fucking autistic to admit it.

>The Scots i'm referring to entails to those who speak gaelic
"I'm right according to my own special snowflake definition"

>because the etymology implies the people called "Scots" are celtic people.
The etymology of the word "scot" is unknown. It used to mean Gael, then it meant someone from Scotland. Not that fucking hard to grasp.
>>
File: B8ofthethread.png (42 KB, 625x626) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
B8ofthethread.png
42 KB, 625x626
>>517241
>>
>>517989
>Nope. If you dare claim to be a "Scot" then you best know a celtic language.
All that is required to be a scot is to be a scot

>Otherwise fuck off back to england with your pretentious historic revisionism.
Your literally engaging in historic revisionism


>That's because the Scots are still a province of England. If they were free like Ireland, they'd be calling it Scottish too and there would be no problem in incorporating gaelic to simply mean the day to day language Scottish people do.
T. chuck zimmerman 1/64 pure Irish

I'm actually from Ireland and if someone heard you talking this wank they'd laugh in your face.
>>
>>517967
Baby's Scottish history 101? Allow me to fucking educate you

Malcolm and, if we believe later hagiography, his wife, introduced the first Benedictine monks to Scotland. However, despite having a royal Anglo-Saxon wife, Malcolm spent more of his reign conducting slave raids against the English, adding to the woes of that people in the aftermath of the Norman Conquest of England and the Harrying of the North, as Marianus Scotus tells us:

>the Scots and French devastated the English; and [the English] were dispersed and died of hunger; and were compelled to eat human flesh: and to this end, to kill men, and to salt and dry them.”[11]

Malcolm's natural successor was his brother, Donalbane (Domhnall Bán Mac Donnchaidh), as Malcolm's sons were young. However, the Norman state to the south sent Malcolm's son Duncan to take the kingship. In the ensuing conflict, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle tells us that:

>Donnchadh went to Scotland with what aid he could get of the English and French, and deprived his kinsman Domhnall of the Kingdom, and was received as King. But afterwards some of the Scots gathered themselves together, and slew almost all of his followers; and he himself escaped with few. Thereafter they were reconciled on the condition that he should never again introduce English or French into the land”[12]

After David I, and especially in the reign of William I, Scotland's King's became ambivalent about, if not hostile towards, the culture of most of their subjects. As Walter of Coventry tells us:

>The modern kings of Scotia count themselves as Frenchmen, in race, manners, language and culture; they keep only Frenchmen in their household and following, and have reduced the Scots [=Gaels north of the Forth] to utter servitude[15]

And just to top it off because it's clear as day you have no clue of Scottish history, you can google " Highland Clearances "
>>
>>517976
>No, my definition of nationality is based on the existing academic ones

Which are? English academics, no doubt.

>>517991
>It implies a member of the nation state of Scotland.
I.e A member f the nation state of Gaelic Land.
>>
>>518005
>and have reduced the Scots [=Gaels north of the Forth] to utter servitude[15]

A minority of the Scottish population, the Forth pretty much on the border between Highlands and Lowlands, with the Lowlands populated by Gaels, Picts, and a the significant Anglo-Saxon population, this group going on to dominante the country and Scottish culture

The Gaels were the majority ONLY in the Highlands, while the Lowlands were populated by the old English/Scots speaking population, the area the Gaels called "a' Ghalldachd/The place of the foreigner"
>>
>>518012
>I.e A member f the nation state of Gaelic Land.
Scotland hasn't meant that practically ever.

Seeing as you want to get autistic

English Scot=Albanach
Early medieval Latin Scot=Gael

Two different things, t. someone who actually speaks a Gaelic language. When someone says "scot" in 21st century english they aren't talking about me.
>>
>>517992
This
>The etymology of the word "scot" is unknown


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoti
Along with the fact that Scot is an exonym for gaelic speakers, and that the endonym for Scot is Albannaich, Is all i needed for me to disregard your shitpost.
>>
>>518030
>>517992
Fucking this, the only people who tie it to the Gaelic population are generally Gaelo
-celtaboos
>>
OP confirmed for skirt wearing Amerifat who identifies as Scottish because his great great great great grandparents were Scottish
>>
>>518005
Entirely irrelevant to my point. You mistake and deduce between modern and historic terms at your own leisure to suit your point, which has no basis in reality.
>>
>>517229
>>517241
>>517246
>>517247
>>517262

Can making fun of countries with names other than their language be a new meme please?
>>
>>518044
Pretty much agreed with this, anyone who continually argues all Scots are Gaels who had their language stolen and were completely colonised by the English is a misguided fool

t. lowland scot
>>
>>518048
>calls country Dominican Republic
>Doesn't speak Dominican Republicese
>>
>>518048
>Can making fun of countries with names other than their language be a new meme please?
it's been a meme on /int/ for ages.


>called Israel
>Isn't real
>>
>>517296
>Scots are a celtic ethnicity. There is no evidence to assume the Dal Riata took over the picts violently. Infact their cultures merged since it suggests the Picts were celts themselves, and it resulted in the statehood of Scotland, whereas the anglo-saxons made their way into lowland Scotland as an invading conquering force.

The picts came from Scythia, first stopped in Northern Ireland, they were then expelled to Scotland where they were given irish matrineal wifes, the king had to have an Irish wife. That is how it lost it's Pictish identity.

10 percent of scots are picts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9953179/The-Picts-are-alive-and-well-and-living-in-Scotland.html

THE PICTS WERE NOT CELTS. THEY WERE NOT INDO-EUROPEAN. THEY ARE CLOSEST RELATIVES TO BASQUES, SCYTHIANS AND UGRIC PEOPLE
>>
>>518002
>All that is required to be a scot is to be a scot

That's what i'm saying too. If you want to be a scot, you need to be a gaelic speaker, as the name entails.

>I'm actually from Ireland

And what, you want a medal?

>>518025
>The Gaels were the majority ONLY in the Highlands

Up until the 15th century
>>
File: 7645068.jpg (26 KB, 200x267) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
7645068.jpg
26 KB, 200x267
>>518026
>Scotland hasn't meant that practically ever.

Haha, wow you're actually fucking clueless aren't you?
>>518030
>Scoti or Scotti was a name used by Late Roman authors to describe the Gaels.
>>
>>518049

>Anyone who continually argues that the anglification of the gaels did not occur is a totally misguided fool

t. English who appropriated the name Scot for himself
>>
>>518081
So even if your family have lived in Scotland for several hundred years if you don't speak "Scottish" you're English? Christ you're retarded
>>
sCOTS ARE SCYTHIANS.


http://www.cogwriter.com/news/cog-news/evidence-that-scots-came-from-scythia/
>>
File: 1349217226441.jpg (42 KB, 720x439) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1349217226441.jpg
42 KB, 720x439
>>518060
>The picts came from Scythia
>>
>>518088
Nice strawman friendo.
>>
>>518097
Explain why there language isn't indo-european

>John Rhys, in 1892, proposed that Pictish was a non-Indo-European language. This opinion was based on the apparently unintelligible ogham inscriptions found in historically Pictish areas.[19] A similar position was taken by Heinrich Zimmer, who argued that the Picts' supposedly exotic cultural practices (tattooing and matriliny) were equally non-Indo-European,[20] and a Pre-Indo-European model was maintained by some well into the 20th century.[21]

A modified version of this theory was advanced in an influential 1955 review of Pictish by Kenneth Jackson. Jackson proposed a two-language model: while Pictish was undoubtedly P-Celtic, it may have had a non-Celtic substratum and a second language may have been used for inscriptions.[22] Jackson's hypothesis was framed in the then-current model that a Brittonic elite, identified as the Broch-builders, had migrated from the south of Britain into Pictish territory, dominating a pre-Celtic majority.[23] He used this to reconcile the perceived translational difficulties of Ogham with the overwhelming evidence for a P-Celtic Pictish language. Jackson was content to write off Ogham inscriptions as inherently unintelligible.[24]

Jackson's model became the orthodox position for the latter half of the 20th century. However, it has become progressively undermined by advances in understanding of late Iron Age archaeology, as well as by improved understanding of the enigmatic Ogham inscriptions, a number of which have since been interpreted as Celtic.[25]

Despite this, Eric P. Hamp in his 2012 Indo-European family tree, classified Pictish as a non-Indo-European language.[26]

http://tied.verbix.com/archive/article7.html
>>
>>518104
Thats been your argument the entire thread you spastic, you're the one claiming Scotland should be renamed bevause most of its inhabitants don't speak "Scottish"
>>
>>518108

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictish_language

>Pictish was an Insular Celtic language allied to the P-Celtic language Brittonic (descendants Welsh, Cornish, Cumbric, Breton). This theory is generally accepted.[4]
>>
>>517695
There's a Scottish Language, and there's also a Scots language.
>>
>>518115
And so far nobody's been able to prove me wrong
>>
>>518128
>P-Celtic language Brittonic
Not gaels. Basques. Basques are not indo-european.
>>
>>518143
No, it's an Indo-European, Celtic, Brittonic language, related to Welsh. It has nothing to do with Basques.
>>
>>518153
I am talking about genetics.

Genetically the Scots are basque. Read the Ogham inscriptions. Not an indo-european language.
>>
>>518062
>That's what i'm saying too. If you want to be a scot, you need to be a gaelic speaker, as the name entails.

>And what, you want a medal?
I speak Irish and know that Gaels have never called themselves Scots, I also know what Scotland is and why it's called that.

>>518062
>If you want to be a scot, you need to be a gaelic speaker, as the name entails.
But that's not what Scot means. The name doesn't entail that. The name "Scot" entails a member of the Scottish nation, most of whom speak English.


You're a fucking dibbly mouth fool.
>>
>>518163
>Genetically the Scots are basque
No.

>> Read the Ogham inscriptions. Not an indo-european language.
>Jackson's model became the orthodox position for the latter half of the 20th century. However, it has become progressively undermined by advances in understanding of late Iron Age archaeology, as well as by improved understanding of the enigmatic Ogham inscriptions, a number of which have since been interpreted as Celtic.[25]
>>
>>518163
>Determining "genetics" based on language (literally what were indecipherable inscriptions)
Beyond retarded.
>>
>>518179
>>518171


According to Professor Stephen Oppenheimer, of Oxford University, some 70% of Scottish males and 68% of Englishmen have DNA evidence which shows a common link to ancestors who came to Britain from the Basque country in northern Spain between 7,500 and 15,000 years ago. Based on research into DNA studies across the UK and Ireland over the past 10 years, the professor's theory on British origins challenges mainstream historical views.

Most people in Scotland, Ireland and Wales were assumed to be descended from Celtic farming tribes who migrated here from central Europe up to 6,500 years ago, with the English largely taking their genetic line from the Anglo-Saxon invaders of the Dark Ages who supposedly wiped out the Celts in their areas of England.

That's all part of a "Celtic myth", says the professor, the author of The Origins Of The British: A Genetic Detective Story. "The majority of the gene pool of the British Isles is very ancient and dates to the era after the last great Ice Age. It has nothing to do with Celts or Anglo-Saxons or any of these more recent ethnic labels.

"The Ice Age made Britain a polar desert and there was nobody living here around 13,000 BC until the first settlers came to the British Isles from the Basque country of northern Spain between 15,000 and 7,500 years ago. Something like three-quarters of the ancestors of our modern gene pool arrived then.


(cont)...
>>
File: 1441268159001.jpg (72 KB, 288x353) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1441268159001.jpg
72 KB, 288x353
>>518166
>Gaels have never called themselves Scots

They called, and a small minority of them continue to call themselves Albannaich. "Scot" is an exonym for all gaels.

>But that's not what the objective definition means, it means what my arbitrary definition means!
>>
>>518186

"The ancestors of some 88% of the Irish, 81% of the Welsh, 79% of the Cornish, 70% of Scots and 68% of the English arrived here during that period. None of the later immigrations contributed anything more than 5% to the gene pool. So genetically speaking, Scots have more in common with the English than they have differences.

"There is also no evidence of Celtic languages being spoken until much later, so most of these people probably spoke something like Basque, and though it is controversial, there is structural evidence of Basque influence on later Celtic languages and English as well."

Oppenheimer says there is still a significant 30% genetic difference between Scots and the English - "it's that third or so which makes the English different," he added. The genetic changes were largely due to the influx of early Norwegians to the north of Scotland, whereas the east side of England attracted tribes such as the Angles and Saxons from further south."

Leading Scottish historian Professor Tom Devine last night dismissed his theories as "interesting but irrelevant", saying "cultural, political and social differences" were much more significant in the development of the British peoples.

Althea Davies, environmental archaeologist at Stirling University Centre for Environmental History, said: "The last Ice Age glacier didn't melt until 11,000 years ago and the oldest archaeological sites in Scotland date back to about 9,000 years ago, so that fits into his time bracket for the arrival of the first settlers.

"To say that those first people came from just one specific area is very restrictive, however, and a lot of people will be disputing those theories."
Oh wait. I forgot you wikipedia warriors know more than professors. Lol. Anglo delusion trying to revise history.
>>
>>518186
That's all well and good but ogham wasn't developed or introduced to Scotland until well into the 5th century, after Gaelic had been, since they were the ones who had introduced it.

The etymology of Pict literally means Briton and they wouldn't have adopted the Gaelic language so readily without similarities.
>>
>>518190
And here's some genetic research from this decade

Blue are the people that lived in Britain after the last age
>>
>>518187
>They called, and a small minority of them continue to call themselves Albannaich.
Albainneach refers to any Scot regardless of language, and doesn't refer to Gaels in Ireland or Man. It corresponds with the English word Scot meaning someone from Scotland. I speak Irish, I know.

>"Scot" is an exonym for all gaels.
that hasn't been the case in any language spoken in the last 1000 years.

>>518187
>But that's not what the objective definition means, it means what my arbitrary definition means!
I challenge you to find a single person who uses your special snowflake definition.

Scots themselves call themselves scots, it is both their exonym and endonym.

The English word "Scot" is not equal to "Gael"
>>
>>518257
*last ice age
>>
Curious as to what sort of buttblasted cunt makes a thread like this. Did Angus shag your girlfriend mate? Your mum? Perhaps both?

Since its here I'll give it a shot. The Kingdom of Alba (NOT Scotland) was a culturally and linguistically gaelic entity until the Anglo-Saxon province of Lothian from the nascent Kingdom of England was incorporated in the early 11th century. By the reign of David I a century later these Men of Lothian were already regarded as "Scots". These cunts essentially spoke a dialect of Old English which, being spoken within the borders of Alba, avoided the Norman invasion and the subsequent linguistic cucking dished out by the French. Therefore the "Scots" emerged as a distinct entity from their culturally and linguistically cuckolded Anglo-Saxon kin.

Over the next couple of centuries, these Scots grow in power and influence until they essentially overthrow the cultural hegemony of the Gaels, this is where Scotland begins and Alba ends. A duality of power emerges whereby the gaels flock to the banner of the Lords of the Isles in the West and Scots speaking easterners and southerners throw their weight behind the Monarchy (controlled by the Scots). A couple of centuries of bloody fighting later, the Scots win and James VI imposes the Statues of Iona on the Gaelic chieftans in 1609, forcing them to send their sons to the lowlands for a Scots presbyterian education (most gaels are still catholic at this point). The gaels aren't finished yet though and they enjoy a few resurgencies attempting to restore the Scots House of Stuart (ironically enough) to the British throne.

The English have very little to do with the demise of Gaelic. The only mucked in to help the Scots crush the final few rebellions after the Act of Union.

The Scots are not a gaelic people. They are just Anglo-Saxons that weren't cucked by the French.
>>
>>518260
>Albainneach refers to any Scot regardless of language
> I speak Irish, I know

Yeah sure.

>Scots themselves call themselves scots, it is both their exonym and endonym.

that's because they're too brainwashed and stupid to learn the difference. You don't call yourself "Airesh" in your language i assume?
>>
>>518328
>that's because they're too brainwashed and stupid to learn the difference. You don't call yourself "Airesh" in your language i assume?


Totally agree, as a Scot I'm an idiotic brainwashed person who's too stupid to learn anything. I really shouldn't call myself Scottish for living in Scotland
>>
>>518348
You aren't Scottish though m8, the fact you're typing in sassenach should have told you this
>>
>>518370
aye, I'm not Scottish according to your definition, but according to mine you're a cunt talking out his ass, I'll give you that
>>
>>518305
You're fucking clueless. Fuck off.

>>518348
If you assume the exonym "Scot" when you refer to your identity, then you're pretty much a non-nation. It's as if you would call yourself "Airesh" and your language would be pronounced the same.
>>
>>518305
this
>>
>>518187
"Scot" originated as the endonym of the peoples inhabiting the lowlands of northern Britain, to distinguish themselves from the "English" peoples inhabiting Southern Britain, who spoke a similar language but were cucked by the French.

These "Scots" acheived cultural hegemony over the Gaels, with whom they shared a Kingdom. Hence the modern exonym "Scots" to refer the people inhabiting Northern Britain.

If you want the chronology of it see here >>518305

You're just a massive wrongcunt mate.
>>
>>518388
>You're fucking clueless. Fuck off.
what a counter-argument
>>
>>518396
>"Scot" originated as the endonym of the peoples inhabiting the lowlands of northern Britain

Which as i said, is just plain fucking wrong.
>>
>>518370
I was being sarcastic you buckfast swilling fool
>>
>>518328
>that's because they're too brainwashed and stupid to learn the difference.
I bet you read the wikipedia article on Dalriada and think you uncovered a conspiracy.

>You don't call yourself "Airesh" in your language i assume?
We call ourselves Gael or Éireannach, not Scot because Scot hasn't meant Gael in any language since early medieval Latin. In fact we often call Scottish and Manx people Gaels too because it's not dependent on language as a term.

I'm really intrigued by the fact that you can't grasp the concept that a word can take a slight change in semantic meaning after a thousand years and being borrowed into a different language. I'd love to see your take on some other linguistic ideas.
>>
>>518399
Point being it was NEVER an endonym of the Gaels, regardless of its previous employment as an exonym. You dense fucking cunt.
>>
>The mayonnaise aisle arguing over why Hellman's is called Hell MANs without any sinners in the recipe
>>
>>518427
> it was NEVER an endonym of the Gaels

I know that, which is why i said it's plain wrong. If the "Scots" (read, english people living in Scotland) want to call themselves "Scots" (read, people who speak gaelic) then they need to start speaking gaelic, because they live in Scotland, a gaelic country.
>>
>>518439
>constructing an argument from pure semantics
get off the history board you utter jobby
>>
>>518439
but we're not English people, we may be of the same blood, but since the integration of Lothian the lowland people have been part of Scotland, and the dominant force in the country since the 13th century, the Scots must not be Gaels either since they lived in Ireland first, so they're just Irish living in Scotland, a country without a people
>>
>>518439
>muh semantics
>>
>>518467
>>518477
Scoti - gaels
Scotland - Land of the gaels
Scotsman - gaelic man

Should be pretty fucking easy to understand but i guess not.
>muh semantics

>>518471
>but we're not English people
You are not. You speak a funny version of English. You are english. You have nothing to do with the Scots and the country of Scotland, unless you speak gaelic, as the name historically and presently entails a affinity to celtic culture.
>>
>>518439
>the endonym(a) are just endonym(b) living in endonym(a)land
you have unironically just attempted to make this argument
>>
>>518439

>Scots are people who speak Gaelic
>said nobody, ever, except you, just now

You seriously need to fuck off.
>>
>>518505
>He doesn't know what Scoti means
You really are a special case of retard, aren't you?
>>
>>518497

You need to mcfucking kill yourself

Alba is the Celtic-languages name of the geographic place now occupied by Scotland and has sweet-fuck-all to do with the language that the people there speak
>>
Please confirm/deny my suspicions OP, are you an American who thinks speaking a few words of Gaelic makes you Scottish?
>>
>>517229

>Call your kingdom Scotland, because it corresponds to the geographic area known as Scotland

There, I just explained it for you
>>
>>518525
He's probably a Northern Irish Republican
>>
>>518523
Yes and? That doesn't disprove what i initially said in that post.

>>518525
Im not american
>>
>>518525
He's like an Englishman with a gigantic inferiority complex.
>>
>>518537
But he described Ireland as "free' earlier, although he never did explain why the " scots" aren't free but Ireland is
>>
>>518537
>He's probably a Northern Irish Republican
He's probably not. If he said this in Ireland he'd be ridiculed. I assume he's American
>>
>>518497
>Scoti - gaels
In early medieval latin, yes but not in English.

>Scotland - Land of the gaels
No, land of the Scots

>Scotsman - gaelic man
No, man from Scotland. There are Germanic and Gaelic Scots.

>>518497
>You are english. You have nothing to do with the Scots and the country of Scotland, unless you speak gaelic, as the name historically and presently entails a affinity to celtic culture.
Stop talking about Gaels. You know nothing about us, what it means to be a Gael or what it means to be Scottish.
>>
>>517229
The Lowlanders never spoke Scottish, only Scots and English
>>
>>517467
It is in Scotland
>>
>>518580
>but not in English

Literally taken from latin, this time specificly for Scotland m8t

>No, land of the Scots

"Scots" are a fabrication. You're just english people trying really hard to appropriate the name of a culture you don't really belong to, but want to pass off as natives. It's pathetic really.

>>518585
>The Lowlanders never spoke Scottish
Not until the 9th century when the english invaded.
>>
>>517229

So by this logic we should change the name of England since it's no longer the land of the Angles?
>>
>>518593
*Glasgow

but you're mostly right

got gear?
>>
>>518607
>your family might have lived in Scotland for centuries, you might identify as Scottish and you might have even voted for independence but I have sole rights to decide who is and isn't Scottish
Mcfuckingkillyourself
>>
>>518645

Scottish means being a gaelic speaking man. From the word Scoti - gael.

If you wanna be something else fine, but don't use the fucking word "Scot" for yourself if you don't know gaelic.
>>
>>518654
I'm a Scot, I speak English

triggered yet?


>>518645
voted no desu
>>
>>518654

So what do you call someone from Scotland if we're not allowed to call them Scots according to you, the distinguished scholar in the field of national identity?
>>
>>518678
Anglos-over the Tweed
>>
>>518672
>I'm a Scot, I speak English

Yeah why don't you fuck off back to England cunt

>>518678

Scots is the term i have been using this entire fucking thread to designate a national from Scotland. However, a bunch of dedicated minorities just like to claim "Scots" as having something to do with their piss shit dialect of english, which is not the case.

In their case, they need to stop using a name designed for gaels to call themselves english. It's really, really, really irritating.
>>
>>518654
Why are you so butt-flustered over this?
>>
>>518678
>>518687
Anglo-Scotons
>>
>>518688

>Scots is the term i have been using this entire fucking thread to designate a national from Scotland.

No it isn't. According to your original post, only Gaelic-speakers can be Scots
>>
>>518692
>>518687
Not-quite-Scots-but-not-quite-English-either(s)
>>
>>518654
The last census showed only 1.1% of Scots could speak Gaelic, does that mean the population of Scotland is 99% English?
>>
File: map_of_scotland.jpg (55 KB, 466x350) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
map_of_scotland.jpg
55 KB, 466x350
>>518607
>Literally taken from latin
>1000 yrs ago

>this time specificly for Scotland m8t
Which is why Scot now refers to the inhabitants of the place that is called Scotland

>"Scots" are a fabrication.
>>>/x/

>You're just english people
>you

>trying really hard to appropriate the name of a culture you don't really belong to
I'm an Irish speaker from the west of Ireland. I speak a Gaelic language but I am not a Scot. Scots are people from pic related

>>518654
>Scottish means being a gaelic speaking man
It has never meant that, not even in Latin. Language wasn't essential to Gaeldom, and Scot hasn't meant Gael in a long time. Words change meaning, you dense motherfucker.

t. Irishman who actually knows what he's talking about and not a Wikipedia-pro American
>>
>>518704
>only Gaelic-speakers can be Scots

This is correct. The original etymology itself applied this to gaelic speakers. Non-gaelic speakers are not scots, therefor not scottish nationals. Maybe english people from Scotland, but not scottish nationals

>>518722

What do you think?
>>
>>518690
He's Irish.

They are hellbent on history revionism mainly around the celtic era in an effort to discredit anglos.
>>
>>518736
>The original etymology itself applied this to gaelic speakers.
no it didn't. The original etymology applied to a tribe which over time morphed into the Scottish nation.

Gael=/= Gaelic speaker
>>
So does this mean that Irish people that don't speak their language aren't Irish.

You are fucking beyond retarded.
>>
>>518736
If nationality is defined solely by language, does that mean that most welsh, Irish, Canadian, Caribbean, Nigerian etc people are actually English?
>>
>>518742
>He's Irish.
he's not Irish, I'm the Irish lad.

He thought Éire and Sassenach were the names of languages, he's clueless about the Gaelic countries.
>>
>>518736

So if I'm born in Edinburgh to parents who speak Gaelic and whose parents before them spoke Gaelic stretching back 1500 years of pure unadulterated joyous Scottishness, and I don't learn Gaelic and never leave Scotland, I'm not Scottish, I'm English, despite never having been to England?

Do you have any idea how fucking retarded you sound?
>>
I don't speak gaelic. I got my haplotype tested. r1bl21

But according to you I am not a Scot.
>>
>>517229
>Literally no true Scotsman

Oh fugg this was a ruse all along. I feel stupid for replying.
>>
>>518767
we've been taken on a ruse cruse by the ultimate ruse master who's kept it going on all day
>>
>>518728
>Which is why Scot now refers to the inhabitants of the place that is called Scotland

Inhabitants which also speak gaelic. Don't try to twist terms to suit your english narrative. God how are you to thick in the skull

>>518745
In russian language, at least, there are two term-concepts that defy nationality. "Ruskii" which means native russian, and "Rosiyan" which means russian citizen. All Ruskii are Rosiyans, but not all Rosiyans are Ruskii. Tatar russians are defined as Rosiyans, Chechens are Rosiyans, etc.
>>
>>518775
I hope so, otherwise my dreams of /his/ actually containing intelligence have been crushed
>>
>>518780
Literally spilt my tea from laughing.

>muh semantics

Semanticfags are youtube illuminati conspiracy tier, the people that construct an arugment on symobolism.
>>
>>518755
No, i never said nationality is defined solely by language, as it depends on case to case, something which i already said. Read the thread.

>>518757
No, it just means you're not a native Scotsman.
>>
>>518791
>tea
English 5th columnist confirmed
>>
>>518797
How does a learnt trait like language have any impact on "native" identity?
>>
>>518800
I'm actually a Scot with a pict last name M'naghten who lives in Durness.
>>
>>518797

>No, it just means you're not a native Scotsman.

great so now you're demanding we all adopt your arbitrary definition of native too?
>>
>>517574
This is how i feel about Belgium. Theres no Belgium language, they were a roman province. It should be split between Germany, France, and Netherlands with their respective languages.
>>
>>518780
On the off-chance you're serious and not captain of the ruse cruise

>Inhabitants which also speak gaelic.
no.


>Don't try to twist terms to suit your english narrative.
Except I'm Irish, speak a Gaelic language and actually know what these terms mean.

>In russian language, at least, there are two term-concepts that defy nationality. "Ruskii" which means native russian, and "Rosiyan" which means russian citizen. All Ruskii are Rosiyans, but not all Rosiyans are Ruskii. Tatar russians are defined as Rosiyans, Chechens are Rosiyans, etc.
Rossiyan=UK citizen
Russki=Scot
If you insist on making this inane comparison.
>>
>>518806

Because in the case of Scotland it's clearly a sign that the name of the State is strongly associated with the ethnicity of the people, and their language. It's like asking why Germany is called Germany, why Poland is called Poland.

For you to fucking ask, that's why. In most of Europe's nation-states, language plays a vital role in the identity and culture of the people. Though i'm not surprised an anglo subhuman like yourself would understand.
>>
>>518831
>Because in the case of Scotland it's clearly a sign that the name of the State is strongly associated with the ethnicity of the people
yes

>and their language.
No, lol

>In most of Europe's nation-states, language plays a vital role in the identity and culture of the people.
Most but not all, for example, Scotland

>Though i'm not surprised an anglo subhuman like yourself would understand.
I'm 90% sure you're a butthurt Slav after reading your post
>>
Isn't Scots another Anglic tongue, like Yola and English?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language
>>
>>518811
>not living in the former Kingdom of Strathclyde

Anglo-Saxon pride, worldwide
>>
>>518831
Your response suggests that simply not learning a language can cancel out every other point raised in the post,using that logic a pacific islander could never leave his island and become Scottish if he learnt Gaelic, which is clearly retarded
>>
>>518852
We're not talking about the Scots language which ironically is more anglo-saxon than modern English. Seriously compare it to olde english.

We are talking about Scottish Gaelic.
>>
>>518822
Your example for the comparison is wrong because it applies to the entire of the UK and not just for Scotland.

>Except i'm irish.
Good for you. Are you scottish? No? Fuck off then.

>>518856
Yes, because that's how the state got it's name from. I'm running in circle here so be so kind as to either read the thread, and if you did, read it again, or just fuck off.
>>
>>518878
>Good for you. Are you scottish?
No because although I speak a Gaelic language, speaking a Gaelic language doesn't make one Scottish, as I've been saying all along.
>>
>>518878
Me Anglo me no reed gud me to busi eeting gaylic babeez me sory radislaw
>>
>>518852
Yes. The Scots are an anglo-saxon culture with gaelic influence. In fact they are more anglo-saxon than the English, seeing as they weren't utterly cucked by the French.
>>
>>518903
Halt you Anglian beast, I am the Celt, the proud man of the a' Ghalldachd or the territory you call 'the lawlands', you must leave this territory at once you foul being, this is not your territory, but the land of the Gael, you my friend, are no true Scotsman.
>>
Ahahaha all these deluded Huns

The Highland Clearances in the 1700s and Irish immigration in the 1800s far outweighs any Anglo-Saxon contribution
Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 15
Thread DB ID: 370533



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.