[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides (relatively) minor details like the calculation of Easter,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (80KB, 325x452px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 325x452px
Besides (relatively) minor details like the calculation of Easter, how different was Celtic Christianity to Roman Christianity?
I am not familiar with this strain at all. Did they butt heads with Rome over doctrinal issues/theology like the eastern Church often did? Or is it pretty much Roman Catholic plus trippy art?
>>
>>515409
Well, they did have different tonsures, which were actually the same style as pagan druids.

I think there was a curfuffle at the Synod of Whitby over it.
>>
>>515409

Celtic Christianity always differentiated itself from Mediterranean Christianity by its less urban-centric character. Celtic/Northern Christian poetry, architecture and art from what I understand shows a greater love for raw, nature from what I've been told.
>>
>>515409
In practice it was quite different, don't know about theologically. Very monastic, fairly ok with paganism. Monks often married, had weird tonsures and did other shit that rome didn't approve of.
>>
>>515498
>fairly ok with paganism

Wasn't it more of taking folk traditions and christianizing them?
>>
>>515512
>Wasn't it more of taking folk traditions and christianizing them?
yeah, that too but pagans survived in Ireland for a long time. Druids existed in a secularised form for ages too. There were also plenty of traditions that they just didn't bother christianising at all and left us at it.
>>
>>515512
It's more that there was never really a conflict in the celtic world. What we have as carryovers from druidic tradition is simply superstition.

That is, it's divorced from ethical, theological or cosmological significance.

The belief in things like fae was never thought to be in conflict with Christianity, because that was just how the world was understood to work. Sometimes babies broke into your house to replace your baby with an identical baby. That happens.

>>515498
The monasticism is definitely the strongest issue, and Whitby didn't solve it. Until the arrival of the Vikings, there was no urban centers in Ireland, so the concept of a 'diocese' didn't really apply.

This lead to a very strange situation where Bishops were basically powerless in the Irish Church. The Archbishop was still basically bishop of nothing. It was the Abbots that held power, because they were connected to the Irish political tradition of leading men, not owning land. Additionally, they were able to have strong ties/outright alliances with Septs, which couldn't offer the same to bishops.
>>
>>515539
The pattern of abbots holding more influence over the countryside than the bishops was rampant across all of continental Europeparticularly after the decline of the Carolingian Empire, until Church reformations in around 11th and 12th centuries and the pseudo-isidorian decretals.
>>
>>515553
Yes, but you're sticking a key qualifier in there: "in the countryside".

There's no countryside in Ireland during Whitby, because there are no urban centers.
>>
>>515539
>Additionally, they were able to have strong ties/outright alliances with Septs, which couldn't offer the same to bishops.
You're right in saying the Abbots had more power but I wouldn't say Bishops were powerless. Thry had the same legal status as kings in a lot of cases.

In fact I'd say the integration with Brehon law is a fairly significant difference, although this applies only to Ireland and Scotland
>>
>>515571
The legal status of king did not take you exceptionally far in Ireland.
>>
Did the adoption of Celtic Christianity vs the adoption of Roman Christianity cause any political tensions in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms?
>>
>>515629
What do you mean? The Anglo Saxons never followed either Celtic paganism or Celtic Christianity so adopting Roman Christianity wasn't a problem.
>>
>>515681
Additionally there was never a formal practice of 'adopting' celtic christianity vs Roman Christianity.

Both insisted they were practicing the same faith, and certain practices were under contentious. It would be like talking about 'Mexican Catholicism' today. It doesn't represent something that can be 'adopted'.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.