[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Most Serene Republic of Venice general - Eldest Child of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: Venetian_Republic_map.png (186KB, 800x528px) Image search: [Google]
Venetian_Republic_map.png
186KB, 800x528px
Let's have a thread to discuss one of the most based medieval polities of them all: La Serenissima.

La Serenissima resources:

De Re Militari tag archive: http://deremilitari.org/tag/venice/

DRM articles: http://deremilitari.org/2014/08/the-venetian-crusade-of-1122-1124/

Venetian naval strategy: http://deremilitari.org/2014/03/foundations-of-venetian-naval-strategy-from-pietro-ii-orseoto-to-the-battle-of-zoncho-1000-1500/

Wiki on the economic history of Venice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_Venice

NBER article 'International Trade and Institutional Change: Medieval Venice's Response to Globalization': http://www.nber.org/papers/w18288

National anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEaMeOeEXao

>ONCE did she hold the gorgeous East in fee;
>And was the safeguard of the West: the worth
>Of Venice did not fall below her birth,
>Venice, the eldest Child of Liberty.
>>
shame about the anthem tho
>>
>>512227
Shame that they didn't transform into an empire. Regardless of interests, they could have unified Italy.
>>
>>512227
Thank you for taking down Constantinobel.
>>
My 3rd favorite republic in history, third only to Rome and the USA
>>
File: condottieri.jpg (365KB, 519x800px) Image search: [Google]
condottieri.jpg
365KB, 519x800px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O9SQjy2zpo
>>
>>512227
What did Venice do with all those territories in the Balkans and East Mediterranean?
I assume they established trading posts and various economic structures, but were these imperialist efforts at all political or social?
>>
>>514704
For the Balkans, that's easy: Gold mines! And then Ottoman Empire takes the Balkans and then the New World era begun!
For the East Mediterranean, can't tell.
>>
File: 1431907684242.png (643KB, 782x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1431907684242.png
643KB, 782x1440px
>family comes from Belluno area with presence numbering in the hundreds there
Feels good to be a descendant of La Serenissima.
>>
Love Venice and the city states. I don't know too much about it's history at the moment, but I'm currently reading City of Fortune: How Venice Won and Lost a Naval Empire. I'm really enjoying it so far, very informative, I'm only at the 4 emperors of Constantinople at the moment, but I look forward to carrying on.

Anyone got any other book recommendations?
>>
>supporting the republic that doomed the Balkans to turkish rule
>>
>>515316
A historian never judge the history, a historian actually try to understand it!
>>
>>515373
I'm not a historian, I'm a fan of history :^)
>>
Fourth crusade reparations when? I'm not even joking. In the grand scheme of things it was more detrimental to Christians/Greeks than the holocaust was to Jews.
>>
>>512227
>Eldest child of Liberty

Right m8

They were a severe oligarchy
>>
So playing crusader kings I noticed that the names of venetian families look Roman, while the name of the other Italian regions look either germanic or Greek. Anyone knows why?

>>515393
Venice takes the blame for the forth crusade, but the blame should actually fall on the French.
>>
>>517284
>while the name of the other Italian regions
I mean the name of the nobles of other Italian regions
>>
>>515316

Thats weird, i didn't know the byzantine empire was a republic

Since it was those fucking cunts who armed the turks.
>>
Doge?
>>
>>514704

Stripped them of their resources on a massive scale. Basically the whole of Venice is built with raw material from the croatian coast (stone and wood). Today most of the coast and islands are just bare rocks with sparse vegetation because of deforestation. The Venetians also used to enslave entire villages and towns, selling the women and children to the Turks and using the men as galley slaves. Typically they'd break their legs, let them heal improperly so they couldn't walk or run away and once they were too old/exhausted they'd just throw them overboard.

It was a merchant republic. Utterly amoral and greedy. Shit like that continued for hundreds of years and into the 20th century (meaning, the Italians fucking with us). Thus the hatred.
>>
>>517412

Have some history of my town.

>The Siege of Zara or Siege of Zadar (Croatian: Opsada Zadra; 10–24 November 1202) was the first major action of the Fourth Crusade and the first attack against a Catholic city by Catholic crusaders. The crusaders had an agreement with Venice for transport across the sea, but the price far exceeded what they were able to pay. Venice set the condition that the crusaders help them capture Zadar, a constant battleground between Venice on one side and Croatia and Hungary on the other, whose king, Emeric, pledged himself to join the Crusade. Although a part of the crusaders refused to take part in the siege, the attack on Zadar began in November 1202 despite letters from Pope Innocent III forbidding such an action and threatening excommunication. Zadar fell on 24 November and the Venetians and the crusaders sacked the city. After spending the winter in Zadar the Fourth Crusade continued its campaign, which led to the Siege of Constantinople

>Citizens of Zadar hung flags with crosses on the walls, showing that they were a Christian city.[11] Some of the Crusader leaders, including Simon de Montfort, Robert de Boves and Guy of Vaux-de-Cernay, refused to take part in the siege and requested the city to be spared. On behalf of the Pope, Guy of Vaux-de-Cernay forbade the conquest of the city "because it is a city of Christians, and you are pilgrims". However, most of the crusaders sided with Enrico Dandolo, while Simon de Montfort and other crusaders that refused to participate in the siege camped further away from the city.
>>
>>517438

My bro

My baba (grandmother) went into labour while at home and couldn't find transport to any nearby doctors. My mother was literally born on the steps of some venetian ruins in Nin, not far from Zadar.

Really love the history behind the place
>>
File: 1204_sack.jpg (70KB, 618x401px) Image search: [Google]
1204_sack.jpg
70KB, 618x401px
literally worse than turks

reparations when?
>>
File: 1449420498602.png (14KB, 210x201px) Image search: [Google]
1449420498602.png
14KB, 210x201px
sea jews
>>
I wonder if you could consider Venice the first modern European colonialist enterprise with its exploitation of the labor and material (lumber, sugar cane etc.) of the Eastern Med.
>>
Who the fuck cares about the eastern med, they haven't done shit for Western society aside from get into denbts
>>
>>517604
>sea jews
That's our term!
t. Dutchman
>>
>>517256
And the USA was a slave state

You're point is?
>>
tfw while researching the history of my surname we've discovered its Venetian and that 4th son of some merchant established transport routs from Adriatic to the inner Balkans cause he inherited almost nothing, but had bros in Venice.

Since he was a bit into the Balkans, he ended up entangled in the fight against the Turks over time all the while expanding his trade network, competing with other peeps there.
>>
>>517830
Not your personal blog
>>
>>512227
where can I buy a venetian flag for cheap
>>
>>517256
>oligarchy is incompatible with liberty
>>
File: too poetic fo this shit.jpg (70KB, 388x450px) Image search: [Google]
too poetic fo this shit.jpg
70KB, 388x450px
>>517256

>not knowing your Wordsworth

>On the Extinction of the Venetian Republic

>ONCE did she hold the gorgeous East in fee;
>And was the safeguard of the West: the worth
>Of Venice did not fall below her birth,
>Venice, the eldest Child of Liberty.
>She was a maiden City, bright and free;
>No guile seduced, no force could violate;
>And, when she took unto herself a mate,
>She must espouse the everlasting Sea.
>And what if she had seen those glories fade,
>Those titles vanish, and that strength decay;
>Yet shall some tribute of regret be paid
>When her long life hath reach'd its final day:
>Men are we, and must grieve when even the Shade
>Of that which once was great is pass'd away.
>>
>>517954
>where can I buy a venetian flag for cheap
Venice
>>
>>519016
>cheap
>>
>>517438
Well, at least we know that some Italians are burning in hell.
>>
>>517746
>what are the Greek, Hellenistic, and Byzantine worlds
>>
>>517716
It was technically an empire, albeit on a smaller scale than the atlantic empires that arose in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
>>
>>517412
I've also read that a lot of the Balkan Christians under Venetian rule actually hailed the arrival of the Ottomans because Venetian landlords were extremely exploitative toward the natives. I have the Peloponnese and the Aegean Islands in mind.
>>
>>515301
Some people here bitch about him but Norwich's book is kind of a good companion in that its focus is on Venice and terra firma compared to Crowley's focus on its overseas empire.
>>
>>515301
annotated bibliography on Maritime Venice
http://pastebin.com/PcEEBim1
>>
>>512227
>be from Venice
>open /his/
>see this thread
>mfw
>I have no face
>>
>>520102
y u have no face
>>
>>520123
I'd like to post a wojak dressed as a doge or a venetian aristocrat, but I have no drawing skills to make one up, so no face.
>>
File: foscari.jpg (27KB, 220x259px) Image search: [Google]
foscari.jpg
27KB, 220x259px
>>520138
would be cool
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.