[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /his/ think of this? http://www.newappsblog.com/20

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: greece.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
greece.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
what does /his/ think of this?
http://www.newappsblog.com/2015/12/is-ancient-greek-philosophy-western.html
>>
>>510064
Hu hu ho! A blog of angsty white people hating western civilization, what a surprise.

Why should I take these people seriously?
>>
This is quite an old idea found in some classic works like E.R. Dodd's 'The Greeks and The Irrational'

You really see Greek philosophy in a new light when you read it alongside Indian works from the same period.

>While scholars have sensed a philosophical kinship between Eastern and Western cultures for many decades, THE SHAPE OF ANCIENT THOUGHT is the first study to provide the empirical evidence. Covering a period ranging from 600 B.C. until the era of Neoplatonism and a geographical expanse reaching across the ancient world, McEvilley explores the key philosophical paradigms of these cultures, such as Monism, the doctrine of reincarnation in India and Egypt, and early Pluralism in Greece and India, to reveal striking similarities between the two metaphysical systems.
>>
pretty cool find
>>
>>510064
I'm going to assume without even reading it that it's a bunch of westerners self-hating and using shit like Edward Said's Orientalism and the Black Athena book as proof that everything good the Greeks produced was straight up stolen from the civilisations of the east and Africa, instead of merely acknowledging that the Greeks had a debt to the scholars of Babylonia and Egypt but did not slavishly follow them.
>>
>>510703
To signal your virtue?
>>
Greeks created what was later termed as "European" by terming everyone that wasn't them as "barbarian". Greece is part of Europe because it was later used by Rome and Western Europe in philosophy,science and religion.

However the thought of the Ancient Greeks doesn't belong only to European, but to the whole world.
>>
so is their point essentially that what we read today and think to be the work of Plato and such, has been edited so much by the Islamic scholars that preserved it that we shouldn't consider it to be really western anymore?

>The first thing to notice is that Foucault does in fact, very carefully, describe the “erotic art” of ancient Greece in The Uses of Pleasure. So if having an erotic art is a measure of being “Oriental,” then that’s pretty much what the Greeks were. We (as a discipline) also know, or should know, that a lot of the recuperation of Greek thought was via medieval Jewish and Islamicate philosophy, to the point that the Venice edition of Aristotle (printed in 1472) typically included not just a rendering of Aristotle’s text, but also commentary by Averroës and other "non-Western" thinkers.
>>
>>512465

No it's because Europeans have not begun to properly interpret the Greeks. It's more similar to Heidegger's argument.

Ancient Greeks were a "beginning", but there may be many other future beginnings.

I like this line of argument because modern Europe is a travesty that will not be able to live in posterity, while the light of Ancient Greece will live on forever.
>>
wow it's fucking nothing
>>
>>510064
>Several years ago, I taught an upper division class where we read some non-standard parts of Plato’s Republic (the stuff about regime changes, the Myth of Er, the discussion of Homeric poets – but no divided line or cave), and I found myself telling my students that if they did not find parts of the Plato profoundly foreign and disorienting, they weren’t reading carefully enough.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What a fucking dumb cunt. That is the case if you even even medieval or renaissance writings, fuck the belief systems of ONE generation ago sometimes seem foreign and strange to us now

If the dialectic of east/west has any meaning (debatable), western culture has to flow from classical greece and rome.
>>
>>510064
>the fit between Christianity and Greek philosophy is a tricky one.

This author needs to kill themselves. Christianity IS a greek philosophy.
>>
>>510064
This is why continental philosophers shouldn't be allowed to publish. Drunk on the smell of their own farts.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.