[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN MY LOCAL LIBRARY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

File: History Final 1935.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
History Final 1935.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
"A History of Europe" by Ferdinand Schevill
Used book shelf
$5
Wadded up in the back was a history final from 1935 and the student's cursive notes

Can't type properly right now

Finals...
So...
Much...
Harder...

That prescience...
>>
Can't upload properly right now, either. Will transcribe.

>History 4b BASIS FOR FINAL REVIEW
>
>Text: 405-845
>Maps to be Memorized. You will be asked to draw one or more of these:
>Europe in 1789, 1810, 1815, 1830, 1848, 1871, 1914, 1922
>Africa 1871, 1914, 1922

>II. Have clearly in mind the significance of these dates: 1789, 1772-95, Sept. 21, 1792, 1804-1815, 1812, 1806, 1815, 1807, 1825, 1823, 1829, 1830, 1848, 1852, 1854-6, 1859, 1870, 1866, 1860-1, 1888, 1829, 1832, 1837, 1846, 1867, 1907, 1904, 1904-5, 1908, 1878, 1861, 1894-5, 1840-42, 1854, 1911.
>>
>III. There will be a number of important items for identification.

>IV. Be able to write a 500 word summary of the Article "Arms and the Man"
>V. Know very definitely the causes of the world war.
>VI. Know definitely the main features of the peace of Versailles, and in what parts of it lay the seeds of future wars.
>VII. Have clearly in mind a definition of Fascism and Communism as it exist in Russia.
>>
>VIII. Be able to describe the Imperialism which followed 1870, showing the forces behind it, the regions affected, and the rise of colonial empires, the effect of imperialism upon the relation of nations toward each other.
>IX. Be able to give an account of the Industrial Revolution, showing why it started when it did and where it did, and its effects upon the economic, social and political life of the world; what great benefits it has conferred upon mankind, and what great evils it has created.
X. Describe the relations between Church and State in France, Germany, and Italy and Spain.
>>
>>506703
Damn dude that's a really cool find
>>
>XI. What countries have adopted programs of social insurance, why? What were they like in each case?
>XII. Be able to trace the growth of democracy in different countries in Europe (England, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Scandinavia.)
>XIII. Be able to trace the history of the Ottoman Empire from 1815 down to the World War (The eastern question) showing what problems were raised by the decay of the Ottoman Empire. In what ways does modern Turkey differ from the Ottoman Empire.
>>
File: sneaky snail.jpg (97KB, 720x516px) Image search: [Google]
sneaky snail.jpg
97KB, 720x516px
how does something like this survive unnoticed for so long

breddy interesting m80
>>
>XIV. Be able to trace the history of Japan from about 1867 to the end of the world war.
>XV. Be able to describe the main events in the history of Ireland from 1815 to 1923.
>XVI. What new states appeared as the result of the world war? What was the principle upon which they were organized.
>XVII. How did the principle of nationality affect the Austro-Hungarian Empire - in what respects was that Empire better off than any of the new states which have been formed from it.
>XVIII. How is the League of Nations organized, what is it supposed to do, why has it remained weak?
>XIX. How is the World Court organized; how does it differ from the old Hague Tribunal.
>>
File: IMG_1123.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1123.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Here's the book
>>
File: IMG_1125.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1125.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
and the notes
>>
>>506823
>Trace why the League of Nation remains weak?
I didnt know people back then think it is weak like us.I thought pre-war people still have hope that LON would actually be great
>>
>1935 history exam
>how did Versailles sow the seeds of future wars
I guess every knew war was pretty much unavoidable.
>>
>>506987
It started failing in the early 30s, with Musso gassing Ethiopians and the Japs invading China.
>>
>>508641
Yeah. That, and Hitler had reoccupied the Rhineland earlier in March of '35, a blatant contravention of Versailles. Shit was just falling apart and it was too hard to ignore.
>>
>>506755

>WWI referred to simply as "the world war"

Damn that's fucking cool
>>
Wow history testing back then sure focused on dumb memorization
>>
Definitely a long test if all of that will be on it, but if it's only basis for final review the professor might only put a random amount on the test and omit other questions.

The questions themselves don't seem too difficult honestly.
>>
>>509836
Well, it is meant to test things indicative of a deep knowledge of the subject… but is way too amenable to memorisation games.
>>
>>508620
I think they were talking about the wars in Eastern Europe in 1918-1924.
>>
>>506718
Honestly most of these I could do except for the fucking maps. There's no way I could ever draw a map of Europe or Africa at those times with any semblance of accuracy.
>>
>>506718
>Maps to be Memorized. You will be asked to draw one or more of these:
>Europe in 1789, 1810, 1815, 1830, 1848, 1871, 1914, 1922
>Africa 1871, 1914, 1922
jesus that's insanity
>>
>>506703
So, what level of education do you think this is from specifically? and how would it differ to modern test prep sheets at the same level?
>>
>>509963
It says at the top of the sheet: 4b.

It is a second semester upper level course for history majors in the US system.

"Tests" are considered an inappropriate form of assessment in current history pedagogy.
>>
File: 90.jpg (144KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
90.jpg
144KB, 612x816px
Why have education standards dropped? To cater to women and brown people?
>>
>>510005
>Why have education standards dropped?
We're not allowed to fail idiots like you.
>>
>memorising maps

Am I alone in thinking that's a little bit useless?
>>
>>510044
It is 1935. Printing is the only duplication technology.
>>
>>510055

Still, though. They are history students, it's not like you'd expect them not to have access to texts and whatnot.

It also seems (though I'll admit this is a separate concern) like the actual testing of drawing a map is a poor way to capture knowledge of the territories. I'm shit at drawing. I couldn't draw you a car to save my life, but I know what they look like. You know?
>>
>>510067
So back in the Day history BAs were meant to become staff officers, government administrators, etc.

Sure, drawing maps is indicative of male spatial awareness more than anything else, but in part, this test is aimed to determine who can get the most heroin into chinese veins.
>>
>>510078

I suppose I wasn't really thinking of the practical applications of the degree, fair enough.
>>
Damn, that's pretty neat.

>the world war
>roman numerals for numbering
>>
File: computerscience.jpg (18KB, 300x282px) Image search: [Google]
computerscience.jpg
18KB, 300x282px
>>510012
A student from the 30s who is capable of understanding all the course material here >>510005 would be denied scholarships for being white and male and possibly failed for not taking the mandatory diversity class.

At the same time an opinion piece of second wave feminism can be passed off as a doctoral thesis.

This is the world we live in, other countries like China and Japan are strictly meritocratic and do not drop standards for women and women do fine, but in the west standards have been dropped and it has been done to cater to women and brown people.
>>
>>510137
(You)
>>
>>510137
>A student from the 30s who is capable of understanding all the course material here >>510005 would be denied scholarships
for rote learning and an inability to apply critically theory and historiography.

>Japan
Just cut all humanities teaching.
>>
>>506987
question 6 is the most curious one to me
>>
>>510145
Humanities don't have much benefit for 99% of students
>>
Holy crap this is cool. Hey OP, could you post more photos please or write down the questions of the quiz or something like that?

I loved this post.
>>
>>510145
>rote learning makes you uncreative
just a meme, about half of those questions require original inferences and a deep understanding of the subject matter (achieved in part due to the memorization, an activity which increases neuroplasticity)

>critically theory and historiography
how to frame something in 1 rather dubious normative perspective is not relevant for most things
>>
>>510372
>about half of those questions require original inferences

No, they don't. Those "inferences" are the content of the text book.

>how to frame something in 1
A yup.
>>
>>510229
I can post more, but that's all for the test and notes. The book is pretty cool, and written in a romantic and pompous style.
>>
File: IMG_1129.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1129.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>510418
>Those "inferences" are the content of the text book.

Precisely.
>>
File: IMG_1130.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1130.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Portugal
>>
>>506755
>Know definitely the main features of the peace of Versailles, and in what parts of it lay the seeds of future wars.
Wow in 1935 this was a test question? Thats fucking foresight man.
>>
>>510965
>implying
Shit, even when they signed it Foch said that it's an armistice of 20 years, and he was off by just several months
>>
Final Exam Question - History 101 - Semester I 2016

Trigger Warnings: structuralism, post-structuralism, rape culture

True/False: "The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power." (10 marks)
>>
I always think it's so interesting (in a dark way) to see WW1 referred to as "the world war". They don't know that in just a few short years they'll have to start numbering them instead.
>>
>>510005
>giving students the answers to the exam before they sit them

This explains so much.
>>
>>511055
Im not sure anymore whether or not this kind of shit is actuaply gonna happen in the US, or if its all just bullshit memes. Wont happen here anytime soon.
>>
This is pretty nice. You should upload it somewhere else so people can view it after the thread's been 404'd.
>>
>>511055
Can I skip the question if it triggers me and receive the marks anyway?

If not I'm reporting this to the University LGBTQIYMCA group and having your shitlord life DESTROYED
>>
>>510005
>standards dropped
>in 1935 they literally gave students a list of shit they needed to know so they could just memorize it

You're an imbecile.
>>
>>511323

People had far larger vocabularies in the past than today.
>>
>>511354
that's a lie, c'mon. They were more formal to our perspective but how many international or technology related terms do you know at this moment? Don't romanticize the past Anon, recognize the good parts for what they were but most of life is probably better now.
>>
>>511354
>far larger

Probably not. Considering especially literacy rates total and so on.
>>
This is pretty great, thanks for sharing OP
>>
>>509836
Memory is the mother of all learning, dumbass
>>
>>512388
Memorization of old maps isn't as important as understanding the many concepts and dynamics of history
>>
>>513247
Its imoortant to know what states exist and what their geographical location is, but i agree that knowing a precise map is a bit much
>>
File: I Respect That.gif (2MB, 310x166px) Image search: [Google]
I Respect That.gif
2MB, 310x166px
>>506814
because OP is the first history student to study since 1935.
>>
>>516443
>Schevill
If he's the first one to read Schevill since '35, given the Schevill in this thread, well, I think that's a good thing.
>>
>>506703
>fascism in russia
I mean what the hell
>>
>>516510

It's kind of ambiguous - there's at least one typo. "Fascism and Communism as it exist in Russia" might mean "Fascism and Communism as they exist in Russia" or "Fascism, and Communism (as it exists in Russia)" - ie, as distinct from Communism as it exists in other places or merely in theory.

I'd be inclined to favour the latter interpretation, simply because otherwise the question is just weird. There was already Italy, if nothing else.
>>
>>516559
It must be the latter indeed, as fascism never existed in Russia at all. Fascism is a typical italian product. Even Russian right-wing nationalism was not like fascism, and more like tsarist nostalgia
>>
>>516510

Americans don't use the Oxford comma
>>
>>516792
Or they might be comparing the progressive elements of the white reaction to Horthy and D'Annunzio
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.