[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are some countries more developed than others /his/ Historically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

Why are some countries more developed than others /his/

Historically speaking, what was different?
>>
>>505939
Circumstances and luck, frankly.

There's no real consensus on the specifics, but generally due to favorable geography and happenstance some regions got their things in order and were able to capitalize on that success over and over. Other places either were exploited by more successful regions, or became complacent with early success.
>>
>Why are some countries more developed than others /his/

Are you implying they all should have the same level of development?
>>
>>505939
>Why are some countries more developed than others /his/
why would they be the same? seems like a big coincidence
>>
>>505939
One important factor would be lack of uniform distribution of various types of organic and inorganic resources.
>>
The stock of human capital
Any understanding which does not recognize this is faulty
>>
>>505939
unless you want a meme reply, this >>505949
>Circumstances

it's just a bunch of historical contingencies
>>
>>505939
Argentina and Uruguay received tonnes of Europeans and the UK inverted on them by building trains and other stuff so they can buy raw materials

The case of Argentina is so sad, she went from being at the same level of Canada and Australia and turned into a third world shithole
>>
>>506045
Looks pretty First World in the OP map m8
>>
>>506062
HDI leaves out the big and little details.
>>
>>506062
Argentina has civilized parts, but it's a shithole due the Bolivian and Paraguayan pest that bring drugs, uses the healthcare and schools, steal jobs and breed like cockroaches
>>
>>506070
>The Human Development Index (HDI) is a composite statistic of life expectancy, education, and income per capita indicators, which are used to rank countries into four tiers of human development.
Seems pretty comprehensive
>>
>>506079
See >>506073
>>
Development is a function of population density and geography, and population density is itself a function of geography and development.

Development in sophistication in the ability to exploit the environment without depleting it, and in the ability to structure large groups of people over time.

Geography is a factor in which regions are more conducive to the development of farming, and in which regions can communicate with each other.

Population density means more people, so more random geniuses, able to spread their message to more people, making their inventions more likely to pass to the next generation.
>>
>>506045
>The case of Argentina is so sad, she went from being at the same level of Canada and Australia and turned into a third world shithole

What happened?

Oh yeah, selling raw materials is terrible for your economy; and if you're buying raw materials, the worse the economy of the seller, the better it is for you!
>>
>>506121
Huh? If people are moving there then it's a sign the place is well off... besides it'd the most developed Latin American country

/pol/ is that way if you wanna complain about immigrants... --->

Anyway, stop hijacking the thread...
I think OP was talking about the actual undeveloped places in Africa and Asia and what can be done to help them...
>>
The pace of life is faster in developed countries, on account of denser population, greater telecommunications penetration (whether this is public roads, sailing ships or fiber optic cables), more efficient markets and so forth. These advantages tend to compound one another, and those who pull ahead tend to stay ahead until circumstances conspire to knock them out of the running. Development is at first sensitively dependent on the initial conditions of circumstance and luck but later becomes dependent on prior development as, as mentioned, these advantages compound one another. It is not surprising that some regions pull far ahead of others as a result.
>>
>>506156
>can't argue
>"go to /pol/ evil nazi stop saying stuff I don't want to hear"

Also the only way to help africa is by stop helping it
>>
>>506156
Chile is the most developed latino country, argentineans love to bring the immigration issue when in fact there are plenty of them in countries such as chile, brazil, mejico, spain or the US.
>>
My belief, originated by mr. Jared diamond, is that the question can be traced all the way back to what animals are indigenous to places. For instance, horses and goats (along with many others) allowed for the surplus necessary for the early division of labor. None of this crucial livestock occurs naturally in mid or south africa (or papua New guinea). This allowed for early subjugation of africans by eurasians and northern africans and eventually the whole world. This deeply seated shadow casts over even the modern world. Not because any ethnicity is smarter than any other
>>
>>505967
Doesn't really tell you the whole story. Eastern Germany went from a wealthy region to a shithole almost overnight without the human capital changing much.
>>
>>506212
Back to sleep Mr. Diamond, maybe your discourse wont be utter shit in the morning.
>>
>>506127
it was more than that
trade moved out entirely from South America to Europe after the world wars, in order to "rebuild" them
and yeah some good ol' corruption and embelezzment as well. a few dictatorships interested in stealing from the state instead of making it stronger as well, a bunch of bad moves, associating with the wrong guys, and there
>>
Muslim cleric explains why he's living in what is basically a shithole, despite the amount of natural resources within it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk2-vr4sSw

It's all about the human capital.
>>
>>506224
so it's about the quality not the quantity?
>>
>>505939
>more developed

It's 2016, why do you still think history works like a Civilization tech tree?
>>
>>506224
see >>506213
>>
>>506211
lol butthurt chilean detected
The UN puts us first on most statistics

Chileans in Argentina: 191.147 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilean_Argentine

Argentines in Chile: 66.332
https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/InmigraciĆ³n_argentina_en_Chile

everytime someone mentions argentina a chilean jumps to bash the country... flags should be put on this board desu
>>
>>506239
Not the guy you're replying to and I'm neither Chilean nor Argentine but you essentially got called out for your argument being horseshit and then repeated the same horseshit argument without refuting anything the other guy said.
>>
If we look at the broader numbers, (why Europe is high, Africa is low) it's basically what >>505949 said

If we look at why Spain is in the 0.800 and Norway 0.900 for example, it varies country by country.

>>506230

It's obvious he was talking about HDI, don't be so triggered.
>>
>>506228
I think the Joos kind of prove it.

>>506235
Can the human capital really accomplish anything in a commie land, or is it a prisoner of muh planned economy?

Because when I look at the series of master plans for East Germany all I see is a series of failures in regard of each plan's objectives, a coffee crisis where the human capital can't afford its source of caffeine, national debt and barter economy.
>>
Read "why the west rules"
>>
>>506249
huh? i just got to the thread and the chilean guy was saying his country was more developed and some shit about immigrants... i proved him wrong on both counts

i don't care for the rest of the argument t.b.h... its just funny to see the permanent chip on their shoulder these fellows have anytime my country is mentioned
>>
>>505939

Because Europeans are evil. If only Europe never existed, all countries would be equal.
>>
>>506194
Bad idea. You need to be more specific.
>>
>>505939
Resources.
>>
>>505939
12000 BC to 1650 AD: areas best suited to agriculture depending on the resources available (muh old world crops and cattle)

1650 to 1950: areas best suited to industrialization which involves a wide range of factors

1950 to present: areas that are not communist or some other shitty dictatorship
>>
>>509300
More or less this.

Read Why Nations Fail for a more complete recounting.
>>
>>506224
>even the Arabs talk shit about Spain
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.