[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joseph De Maistre Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Jmaistre.jpg (52KB, 683x899px) Image search: [Google]
Jmaistre.jpg
52KB, 683x899px
What did he believe? I see him get posted a lot, especially in regards to monarchists, and I'm genuinely interested. Also De Maistre thread.
>>
File: Sick.png (436KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sick.png
436KB, 800x500px
Seems like a swell guy.
>>
>>505583
He believed in Catholic UN, since he didn't find Kant and his Perpetual Peace good.

Just read him for the prose.
>>
>>505583
He was a Martinist and a Mason, which as as unorthodox as you can get as a catholic. It's sometimes said that he was "catholic without being a christian".
>>
>>508034
Oh please. He was just into it as a young man, while everyone was doing it. One of his biographers says that he cried a whole night, when one of his friends didn't take the last communion on his dead.
>>
>>505583
Natural hierarchy. Not a bad dude.

>>508034
>Catholic
>And Martinist
Speaking as one, I didn't really think you could be both.
>>
There's a pretty good book on him called "A Modern Maistre." He's probably most popularized by Israel Berlin, but it's a very inaccurate caricature. On balance, very intelligent, very well educated, and really rather subtle in his opinions --- in line with much of the Enlightenment. His masterwork is a rather long Platonic dialogue called ``St. Petersburg Dialogue.'' (He was ambassador in Russia,---partly for political reasons, again pointing against the typical interpretations of him as less modern-minded... funny anecdote, he was very successful at converting aristocratic ladies at court in Russia to Catholicism and the Tzar had to ask him to stop).
>>
>>510477
Isaiah not Isreal, oops.
>>
>>505591
>until evil is extinct, until the death of death
Based, to be honest
>>
>>510124
>Speaking as one, I didn't really think you could be both.
Technically you can't be Mason and catholic as well. It still was a rather popular combination in 18th century France.
>>
>>510477
I like Bradley's book, but the best work on his philosophy (as opposed to his theology or just a biographical bit) is L'Autorité contre les Lumières by JY Pranchère. In fact it's such a good and thorough study of his thought that it bums me, since I'm working on a paper about him at the moment and find he picked up on most of my ideas already.

>>510491
It's nice how the style has a very baroque ring to it. It is no coincidence since Maistre was in love with 17th century philosophy.
>>
>>510916
>Technically you can't be Mason and catholic as well
Not so much. Masonry is a group, Martinism is a sect. The Vatican might not be fond of the former, but it doesn't impact on the individual belief compared to Martinism.
>>
>>510477
He actually hoped for a reconciliation between the churches. If you read the Soirées and some of his letters, he goes on about how catholicism is 'Greek in content, Latin in style' and such.
>>
>>508034
I don't believe he was a Martinist. He had a taste for the esoteric and the hermetic, but he was a devoted catholic who also endorsed the dogma and papal infallibility. The view of JdM as a Martinist is usually advanced by orthodox catholics who don't like him very much.
>>
>tfw when they is no such thing as Man, only persians and the rest
>>
>>510927
Is that available in English as well?
>>
>>513518
Not to my knowledge, but some of his articles were published in English as chapters in:
http://www.mqup.ca/joseph-de-maistre-s-life--thought--and-influence-products-9780773522886.php
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.