[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any gradschoolfags in here? I'm a philosophy/psychology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: 87984-004-5ADE9ACA.jpg (27KB, 375x450px) Image search: [Google]
87984-004-5ADE9ACA.jpg
27KB, 375x450px
Any gradschoolfags in here?
I'm a philosophy/psychology double major, minor in Asian studies, and I'm graduating with a 2.9 GPA. I'm sure no top tier graduate schools are going to accept me, but is there still hope?
>>
>I'm a philosophy/psychology double major, minor in Asian studies

Just curious, why did you decide on these majors?
>>
>>501891
>philosophy/psychology double major, minor in Asian studies
was it worth it?
>>
>>501959

Yes, I learned a lot.

>>501912

Psychology because of my interest in theories of mind, philosophy to expand on that (contemporary psychology does not often have much to say about subjects such as consciousness), and Asian Studies because I thought Japanese would be a fun way to do my 2-year language requirement and once I was done with that I was only 3 classes away from completing the Asian Studies minor.
>>
File: Doctor who laughing.gif (477KB, 455x250px) Image search: [Google]
Doctor who laughing.gif
477KB, 455x250px
>>501891
>I'm a philosophy/psychology double major, minor in Asian studies

Chemistry Major here

Why do you people even bother?
>>
>>502014

>Chemistry
Must be very intellectually stimulating studying something that can be simplified to, in the words of my last physics professor, "ionization and almost nothing else".
>>
>>502014

>chemistry

enjoying your stamp collecting?
>>
There's nothing wrong with going to a grad school with like a 65% acceptance rate or higher, unless you want to be a very famous philosopher or a very famous psychological theorist.
>>
>>501891

You could *probably* get into some half-decent universities here in the UK. If you're American and thus would be paying higher fees they might treat you as a borderline case - usually 3.0 would be the absolute minimum required
>>
>>502025
>physicists talking out of their field
they're always a fun bunch

>>502032
>said the Asian Studies minor

you people are the reason college is so expensive
>>
>>502050

>implying I'm the Asian Studies minor

I'm a Poli"Sci" PhD candidate
>>
I have a PhD in Psychology. Admittedly it is in Australia but apparently we have the same issues with an overabundance of PhD's and too few proper academic positions.

My advice is for you to first find full-time work in a position related to your field, then after 2-3 years try to do a PhD while maintaining some form of work.
>>
I'm doing a bachelor in history and I'd like to do q master in the field of history of science or environmental history.
I'm considering to apply to a top-tier uni like Oxford (I have very high grades) but these fees scare me... what do you guys think? Would it be worth it?
>>
>>502068
what will you do with that?
>>
>>502077

>Oxford

Cambridge literally offer a master's degree in the history of science. Oxford don't AFAIK, though it's generally considered stronger for the humanities than Cambridge.
>>
>>502088

I actually work in the private sector as opposed to academia so it's pretty cash.
>>
>>502094
Oxford has a mlitt/mphil in history of technology, medicine and science. Cambridge offers a mlitt in history and philosophy of science.

My main interest is still evironmental history but it is mainly taught in the US and I'd like to keep it EU for my master. Both st. Andrews and Uppsala university offer courses on environmental history but I can't really tell if they're any good
>>
>>502099
where do you work in the private sector with a meme PhD?

serious question
>>
>>502107

Strategic consultancy. Think the UK equivalent of Kroll.
>>
>>502106

St. Andrews is one of the best and most competitive in the country. I've heard of Uppsala and know it's well-regarded in Sweden but I would stick with a more recognisable UK univerisity frankly.
>>
Not shitposting here but what do people who get undergrad degrees in liberal arts/humanities actually plan on using them for? Even with a grad degree Academia is extremely saturated, and that seems to be the only clear option with most of these majors. What is the expectation when people go into these fields?
>>
>>502163
Coffee Technicians at Starbucks.
>>
>>502163
Sanitation Technician
>>
>>502163
Senior researcher in the field of happy meals
But seriously, it's not like we didn't think about it. I was convinced by a young, cute researcher that showed me it was still possible to do it. I know I will still be studying when all my engineer friends will be buying their first house, and I know I am going to work my ass off for half the money I'd get being a sommelier.
I think it was Kennedy who said "we do it because it's hard", and that's pretty much it.

>>502137
Thanks!
>>
>>502014
>Chemistry
Math here, why do you even bother breathing?
>>
>>502163
>undergrad degrees in liberal arts/humanities actually plan on using them for?

Writing.
>>
>>501891

if you are in USA then a 2.9 is shitty for grad school.

But you are in luck - if you are dead set on wasting a shit load of money on grad school extend your undergrad program by 1 semester and re-take your shittiest graded classes. The new grades will over-ride the old ones, and if you do better the second time around - GPA boost.

But honestly, I hope you are rich. I can't imagine what job you are looking to get. A 2.9 isn't going to be a professor.

Also, the vast majority of grad school students drop. Hope you beat the odds twice!
>>
>>501891
>2.9 GPA
In your own major?
>>
>>502077
Been at Oxford for 6 years now. Did my masters and stayed on for the doctorate.

The chance of getting one of the few full rides for international students is slim since they pool all departments together. If you're a Brit, you just gotta pray you get one of the few AHRC rides for your degree (though those are reserved for the dphil programs).

>>502094
Oxford has faculty dedicated to the history and philosophy of science.
>>
File: 1447468784374.jpg (122KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1447468784374.jpg
122KB, 1024x1024px
>>502163
>be abstract painter
>3 paintings / hour
>$150 / painting

STEM btfo honestly
>>
>>502163
I'm studying religion and anthropology at UChicago. Really want to get a PhD at some point in my life because I love what I study but not sure when that might happen. Planning on going into community organizing/activism or electoral politics or some mix of the two.
>>
>>502014
oh look a, yet another STEM fag come to try to elevate themselves over us so they can feel better about their total lack of social life.

here is your reply
>>
>>502411
I graduated undergrad with a 2.3 GPA after 5 years...now I'm finishing up a PhD at Duke at the top of my department.

Nothing is impossible.
>>
>>507760
Holy hell. Where did you go for undergrad though?
>>
File: 1426569243460.gif (2MB, 380x500px) Image search: [Google]
1426569243460.gif
2MB, 380x500px
>>502014
physics undergrad here, why does your building smell like bleach and piss all the time?
>>
>>510026
Probably because of all the chemicals?
>>
>>507760
>at Duke at the top of my department
>at the top of my department
>at Duke

Yeah.
>>
Scott, things aren't as happy as they used to be down here at the unemployment office. Joblessness is no longer just for Philosophy majors - useful people are starting to feel the pinch.
>>
>>502050
>you people are the reason college is so expensive
College would be much cheaper if it was just a trade school, yes.
>>
>>501891
What's your GRE scores, do you have any meaningful Extracurriculars?
>>
>>502050
University in the United States is so expensive for two reasons:

Sports.

Profit taking.
>>
>>510252
GRE is not really what counts most; and extra curriculars don't count for squat.

The biggest weakness that an applicant can have to a graduate studies program is appearing as if he only wants an MA. The faculty wants students that are dedicated and willing (or have the appearance of wanting) to go all the way for a PhD. The exception to that is if that department uses its masters program as a means to get cash, in which case 'un-serious' offers will not have any funding. This is why most reputable programs don't offer an MA separately from the Phd—that degree, if given at all, is merely a checkpoint.
>>
>>510074
It was an insult you fucking socially inept fucktard
>>
>>501891
>2.9
HAHHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAH
>>
Well OP. You took a bunch of psych classes so you don't have an excuse with that 2.9. Philosophy I could see since the professors grade super hard and its pretty tough to get an A.

My advice?

Apply everywhere.

Look into the field of COGNITIVE SCIENCE. Its right up your ally and needs recruits. Indiana has a great program.

Check out smaller Christian universities. Remember while in grad school to publish a lot of shit and some good because right now academcis makes money off of VOLUME not quality.

good luck .
>>
>>510303
> and extra curriculars don't count for squat.
Most extra curriculars don't count for squat. RELEVANT Extra Cirrculars count for a lot.

If you're doing a degree in Asian Studies, for example, and you do something that will actually put you in contact with Asian Cultures, that counts for a lot.

I got a lot of credit when applying to a Master's in History because I'd sought out government accredation as an Oral Historian, worked on Oral History projects, was President of Phi Alpha Theta etc.

That stuff really matters.
>>
>>510004
UNC

Basically I had to go back to school and take another year of undergrad and aced all of those classes, combined with knocking the GRE out of the park (I've always excelled at test taking) i suppose i got lucky to get in
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.