[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is mythology dead? Have we already seen the end of legends?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 25

File: Huitzilopochtli.jpg (213KB, 737x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Huitzilopochtli.jpg
213KB, 737x1020px
Is mythology dead? Have we already seen the end of legends?
>>
File: No Heroes left in man.jpg (24KB, 170x236px) Image search: [Google]
No Heroes left in man.jpg
24KB, 170x236px
>>501773
>>
>>501773
this is but the beginning
>>
>>501773
Mythology is pretty much religious stories. So no.

Not to mention a lot of polytheistic religions survive today like Chinese Folk, Shintoism, and Hinduism.
>>
>>501854
"We do not believe...we fear"

-Inuit shaman
>>
File: 1443300200128.jpg (48KB, 387x357px) Image search: [Google]
1443300200128.jpg
48KB, 387x357px
>>501773
Memeology is the future
>>
>>
File: bible[1].jpg (41KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
bible[1].jpg
41KB, 849x565px
Not sure if bait or not.
>>
>>501773
Well, it is in the way it has been the last few millenia. Nowadays our "legends" are shared through the media, meaning stuff like Game of Thrones and such are the new Saga of the Nibelungs. People now talk about Jon Snow or Harry Potter and folks instead Siegfried or Tristan and Isolde, but in it´s core things haven´t changed much.
Only sad thing is, that we just see things as stories, while in earlier times heroes were something to aspire to. Imagine a world, where people try to actually learn from these stories and act like a real hero, instead of cosplaying Christia Fu$!ing Grey.
>>
urban legends...
>>
>>501908
>Harry Potter
last time I was on a train I sat near a girl and a boy that were talking about the series. The girl was fairly attractive, I think I heard the guy mentioning he was studiyng in some engineering field.
Anyways, the girl admitted that she believes hogwarts exist, there are mages around us and even that she thinks Rowling is a sorceress, The guy akwardly nodded during all her mindless chatting.
>>
File: Heavenly Pete.jpg (122KB, 740x960px) Image search: [Google]
Heavenly Pete.jpg
122KB, 740x960px
>>502108
>the girl admitted that she believes hogwarts exist, there are mages around us and even that she thinks Rowling is a sorceress
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
>>501773
Human beings run on myths just like they eat with their hands . Everyone in the world believes in a myth, some people lie to themselves and claim they do not.
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
>>501868
>>501908
Mythology is something people actually believe, no one believes this, we know they are fiction
>>
>>501773
No, legends never ends. There are modern myths from fantastic and fantasy. Also some dudes did wrote modern fairy-tales masked as tales from old times.
>>
File: Slender.jpg (24KB, 992x558px) Image search: [Google]
Slender.jpg
24KB, 992x558px
>>502203
Well, there are always people who either can´t tell the difference or are dumb enough to pretend it´s real...ask these teenage girls who stabbed their friend to appease good old slender. Pretty sure you can call him a modern myth, even it seems sure he was invented for a horror game.
>>
>>501773
Are you retarded? Literally all of our culture is full of myths and legends. The only thing that has really changed is fervent belief, and that's really only in certain countries.
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
>>502203
There must be one dude who believes the Lord of the Rings is real
>>
>>502203
There are literally people who believe Star Wars is real and follow the Jedi "religion."

Never underestimate the power of stupidity to turn obvious fiction into a cult.
>>
>>502745

>he doesn't know that people putting down Jedi as their religion is a joke

You must go berserk if you see someone in a Miskatonic University shirt.
>>
File: 462351460.jpg (20KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
462351460.jpg
20KB, 400x271px
A paragon has risen
>>
>>501773
No.

Source: Religion, Popular Culture, and Propaganda.
>>
>>502203
Snoop Dogg thinks the events in a song of ice and fire happened
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
>>501773

ayy lmaos are basically myths in the making

Jung talks a bit about this in some of his essays, interesting stuff
>>
>>502158
>>502196
>>502608
>>503144
What meme is this?
>>
>>501773
Equality, feminism, multiculturalism and collectivism are modern myths
>>
File: THELINK.jpg (427KB, 648x847px) Image search: [Google]
THELINK.jpg
427KB, 648x847px
>>503151
/this

people then invented sick shit to describe how we were created like 7 days, Elohim, Adam and Eve, etc.

people now invent sick shit to describe how we were created, ayy lmaos, lizard people, forced evolution etc.
>>
>>502571
He was actually created in an /x/ thread where the board decided to create a spooky monster.
>>
>>502571

the only shit that really exist is the dark entity that comes to you in your sleep and paralyses you so you cannot move. I know it because I saw it.
>>
File: Jeff-the-Killer.jpg (71KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jeff-the-Killer.jpg
71KB, 1024x768px
>>503210
And adding to this, the picture most commonly used for "Jeff the Killer" was also created on 4chan. Some girl posted a pic and her face was shopped until it ended up like pic related.
>>
>>501773
nope....we even have sub-categories, just look at history: the burning times, the lost cause, the wild west, the christian nation, etc.
>>
>>503216
>the only shit that really exist is the dark entity that comes to you in your sleep and paralyses you so you cannot move. I know it because I saw it.

are you fucking kidding me? I though it was just a nightmare I once had.
>>
>>503216
>>503237

Why not sacrifice a goat to save you from evil spirits when you're at it?
>>
>>501773
have you seen /x/?
>>
There are still myths and legends for modern day.
In Japan people still believe in ghosts and superstition and create myths such as Kuchisake-onna the mask girl that asks if she's pretty which started in the 70's and still gets people claiming it is true.
In the USA too there are legends and myths but focused less of supernatural and on conspiracy legends such as the MIB, Roswell and Area 51.
There are even cases of real events or figures who are surrounded in myth or have myths about them such as Rasputin who despite having died in 1916 has many legends about him being a magical man who stopped bleeding with a stare and survived many feats of death with supernatural mysticism. Think of what people 500 years from now will think of Rasputin if information loss and change happens between now and then.
>>
>>503237
>>503216

sleep paralysis, I have that shit too. also saw the dark one. I don't know what it is, nor do I want to know, also I am not interested in speaking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axeoTQtawt8
>>
>>503210
that's not true, slenderman was created by a guy on SomethingAwful
>>
>>501773

But we have great new myths and legends like Slenderman!
>>
File: Shadowy-figure.jpg (146KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowy-figure.jpg
146KB, 450x450px
>>503312
>>503237
>>503216

as a kid I remember I was paralysed, awake but couldn't move, the worst fear I ever experienced in my life. and he was there just standing, looking at me. this ain't funny fuck this thread.
>>
File: Shadowman.jpg (25KB, 730x410px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowman.jpg
25KB, 730x410px
>>503216
>the only shit that really exist is the dark entity that comes to you in your sleep and paralyses you so you cannot move. I know it because I saw it.

yep that one is true, saw him aswell. a dark presence. it is called sleep paralysis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
>>
>>503216
The giant squid/kraken myths turned out to be true.
>>
>>503352
>Massive octopi masquerading as islands only to sink and eat the ship that had docked there

>True
>>
>>503216
Oh shit what you made me remember
>>
>>503216
>>503397
>>503347
>>503338
>>503312
>>503237

is this somekind of a /x/ meme or what?
>>
Read Joseph Campbell "The Hero of a Thousand Faces" or Sir James Frazier "The Golden Bough"
>>
>>502108
>The guy akwardly nodded during all her mindless chatting.

the pussy is powerfull
>>
>>503402
nope, that one is true. sleep paralysis read it up.
>>
>>503402
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

no its real
there are some theories as to why it happens but nothing concret

is freaky doe i will tell you that much im lucky it has only happend once
>>
>>503288
>Kuchisake-onna
(googles)
well that was one dark rabbit-hole.
>>
>>503403
I came here to post this.
Alternatively, Campbell's Power of Myth is good too
>>
File: joseph-campbell_bill_moyers.jpg (78KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
joseph-campbell_bill_moyers.jpg
78KB, 500x358px
>>502203

You seem to have no idea what mythology really is.

Mythology primarily serves 4 major functions:

1. The first function of mythology [is] to evoke in the individual a sense of grateful, affirmative awe before the monstrous mystery that is existence

2. The second function of mythology is to present an image of the cosmos, an image of the universe round about, that will maintain and elicit this experience of awe. [or] ...to present an image of the cosmos that will maintain your sense of mystical awe and explan everything that you come into contact with in the universe around you.

3. The third function of a mythological order is to validate and maintain a certain sociological system: a shared set of rights and wrongs, proprieties or improprieties, on which your particular social unit depends for its existence.

4. The fourth function of myth is psychological. That myth must carry the individual through the stages of his life, from birth through maturity through senility to death. The mythology must do so in accords with the social order of his group, the cosmos as understood by his group, and the monstrous mystery.
>>
>>503477
>(googles)
jesus christ
>>
My mom believes in /x/ tier shit like psychic dolphins, living dinosaurs, and indigo children
>>
>>503980
>women
>>
>>501773
Mythology has changed, it isn't dead. What is mythology other than things people believed to be true but from our standpoint are obviously false? Some of the dogma that exist in our society right now will inevitably be considered mythology (or propaganda) by future generations. What we believe now is correct, and what people in the past believed was foolish, is always the greatest myth. Christianity supplanted Greek and Roman gods, but an objective observation will show many similarities.

Myths aren't confined to religion, either, as ideology and science (the new infallible myth, that isn't so infallible except in completely demonstrable fields, like physics, which also is heavily theoretical at times) are taken to be the truth in a similar manner to the religions of antiquity. What you have to remember, is that all humans thought their reasoning was correct. When a Greek appeased his gods, he thought he was being just as rational as a scientist does now. A lot of ideas our society holds to be true right now will be deemed ridiculous in retrospect, via the natural course of progress. Don't conflate progress with science, either. We always had progress, even before the modern conception of science took hold. Scientific dogma is truly more religious and open to variable interpretations than we currently realize.
>>
>>504024
True.

Once upon a time "everybody" knew that the aether was real.

The Zulu first assumed that guns shoot out tiny white men who stab you to death.

Korean people are STILL terrified of electric fans.
>>
>>503216
>>503237
>>503312
>>503338
>>503347
>>503397
You faggots, it's just shit that happens when you are sleep deprived. Go to a festival and when you come back try to sleep on your back and breathe deeply. You can easily give yourself sleep paralysis. It's not some spooky /x/ shit, it's just something that happens.

You can get pretty good at it, once it happens once you can do it again. There was one time I couldn't sleep for like 4 nights because it kept happening.

There's also like 5 things you can see/feel/hear. I've only gotten 2, hagridden and a spooky shadow man.
>>
>>504510
> I've only gotten 2, hagridden and a spooky shadow man.

KEK, nonetheless whats with the whole dark presence. Why does it always happen?
>>
>>501906
Obvious bait
>>
>>502751
Seeing as America elected Nyarlathotep in 2008, I wouldn't be surprised.
>>
End of mythology?. You have herd of Chuck Norain haven't you?.
>>
>>503164
See >>502130
>>
>>504575
it's literally death. people saw it since there are people. gave it different names, succubus, incubus, vampire and the most popular the night mare.

>>504510
yeah after you experience it a couple of times, you know how to cope with it, but people actually died from it, heart failure and such.
>>
>>502130

thank mr skeltal
>>
File: 1427338862299.png (8KB, 509x619px) Image search: [Google]
1427338862299.png
8KB, 509x619px
>>504585
this fucking picture man, this fucking picture. exactly how I have it in my memory
>>
>>504582
I meant Chuck Norris
>>
File: hqdefault (6).jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (6).jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>504592
>>504585
>>504510
>>503473
>>503460
>>503397
>>503347
>>503338
>>503312
>>503237
>>503216

ok, can someone explaine to me the fuck are you talking. is this real??? are people really seeing this shadow people and shit or are you tripping?
>>
File: 1428025184116.png (2MB, 820x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1428025184116.png
2MB, 820x1500px
I believe in the God Emperor of Mankind
>>
>>504601
>Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person either during falling asleep (hypnagogia) or awakening (hypnopompia), temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body). One hypothesis is that it results from disrupted REM sleep, which normally induces complete muscle atonia to prevent sleepers from acting out their dreams. Sleep paralysis has been linked to disorders such as narcolepsy, migraines, anxiety disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea; however, it can also occur in isolation.

tl:dr yes, your tripping
>>
>>504601
it's real, but people don't talk about it. don't ask, when you / if you ever experience it, you'll know.

I don't know what it is, I once experienced after a lot of emotional stress, also saw the black dude. I pissed my pants that night.
>>
>>504611
> It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room)
I get it but whats with the "intruder", why do people always see the intruder?
>>
>>504630
Maybe something similar to Pareidolia

>Pareidolia is a psychological phenomenon involving a stimulus (an image or a sound) wherein the mind perceives a familiar pattern of something where none actually exists.

>Common examples are perceived images of animals, faces, or objects in cloud formations, the "man in the moon", the "moon rabbit", and hidden messages within recorded music played in reverse or at higher- or lower-than-normal speeds.
>>
>>504575
>Why does it always happen?
It doesn't always happen, it's just one of the more common ones due to the fact that people usually sleep with the lights off and with a view of a door/window.

>>504585
>it's literally death.
t. retard. Also, succubus is a different type of hallucination than the "mysterious stranger" as it's sometimes known.

>>504601
Yup it's real. It happens when you are sleep deprived and your body falls asleep before your head does leading to fucked up waking dreams usually based on primal shit like fear adrenaline and sex.

It sucks balls, especially the first time. Worst single experience of my life.
>>
>>504630
in paralysis the body experiences extreme fear, probably the one you have when believing you are going to die, so you see primal shit, intruder, fear of death etc. the mind projects the threat as a dark presence.
>>
>>504645
>>504630
I mean, since the biological states by which dreaming occurs are kind of shared across the board by all humans, and since some motifs within dreams are pretty universal, it makes a degree of sense that there's a consistent theme experienced among all victims of hypnogogia (that is, the theme of the intruder). Collective unconscious and all.
>>
>>504630
>I get it but whats with the "intruder", why do people always see the intruder?
They don't always, there are a few "archtypes" but the "mysterious stranger" is the most common.

The main ones are
>Mysterious stranger
>Old Hag
>Succubus/Incubus
>Alien abduction/ Anal probe
>Shadow people (different from stranger, a little "fuzzy" hobbit who runs at you quickly and then disappears, looks like it's drawn in squiggly pen)
>A floating face kind of in front of your eyes and behind at the same time, like you feel it behind your eyelids.

These can be mixed and matched at your leisure, first time I got sleep paralysis I got Hagridden while also hearing succubus voices and feeling my balls being fondled and feeling like I was suspended in water.
>>
>>504686
I felt 'my soul' was outside of my body and floating in the room, while the dark shadow guy was standing in the corner coming nearer and nearer. I tried screaming like hell but couldn't, then I tried to move my finger and the moment I managed the 'soul' somehow merged with my body. I gained control and woke up screaming.

Yeah I know, but that is how it felt.
>>
>>504686
Maybe the whole anal probing bit, and the sexual themes at large, could be explained by the pressure of the urinary bladder upon the prostate during extended unconsciousness, and also the well known general tumescence associated with REM sleep.
>>
you niggas are scaring me
>>
>>503687
Where should I start with Campbell?
>>
>>504705
>I felt 'my soul' was outside of my body and floating in the room,
yep, it really feels like that. Another time when I was more comfortable with the process I kind of went along for the ride, and felt myself floating above my bed like you described. It was bright in the morning so I didn't see much trippy shit. It was kind of cool, floating and kind of "humming" but I was still pure on edge and uncomfortable.

>>504708
>Maybe the whole anal probing bit, and the sexual themes at large, could be explained by the pressure of the urinary bladder upon the prostate during extended unconsciousness, and also the well known general tumescence associated with REM sleep.
I figured it was just a primal sex thing but this makes more sense
>>
>>503687
Is empiricism a mythology?
>>
>>504726

"Power of Myth" and "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" are both good starting points.
>>
you got your creepypasta's and all
>>
>>504758

It's an ideology.
>>
>>501773
Bah, all you need to do is to go to /x/ to see that mythical creatures and the people who believe in them still exist
>>
>>501773
X-factor with Jonathan Fricks was basically a show about modern myths
>>
File: 8386_e5f3.png (296KB, 649x649px) Image search: [Google]
8386_e5f3.png
296KB, 649x649px
>>501773
Today they call them superheros and put their stories in secular comic books, and not in religious works.
>>
>>505208
Superheroes are not modern mythology no matter how much their dying franchises say so
>>
Conspiracy theories are the new mythology. Not just the obvious ones like the Kennedy assassination but the more subtle ones everyone sort of believes in without concrete evidence. Like people's assumptions about how the FBI or CIA work compared to their actual limitations, or the vague sense that there is probably some other secret organization even more powerful. They're stories explaining how the world works, and sometimes get incorporated into works of art in different contexts.
>>
modern horror stories could be considered mythology. Bigfoot and whatnot
>>
>>501773
Ask someone in North Korea.
>>
the dream spirit will devour your soul
>>
>>506404
Don't they think Jong-Sun created the sun, moon, and stars?

And his son's birth was heralded by a double rainbow, early spring, and talking animals?
>>
>>506425
He is the body of the immortal spirit that was passed down from his grand father to his father an to him and he has a perfect 18 golf score on every golf course in the world as all of them and found a unicorn cave where he used their magical powers to create an H-bomb.
>>
File: 985.jpg (54KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
985.jpg
54KB, 680x583px
>>503166
ebin
>>
>>502130
please kill me, Pete
>>
>>504686
Not sure if it's a true experience of sleep paralysis, but I remember one time falling asleep and then I felt something weighing on my chest. I couldn't move and when I got scared it started pushing down as if trying to suffocate me. Really terrifying.
>>
>>502130
Kill me, pete
>>
>>503164
I am tired anon.
>>
>>508088
>Not sure if it's a true experience of sleep paralysis, but I remember one time falling asleep and then I felt something weighing on my chest. I couldn't move and when I got scared it started pushing down as if trying to suffocate me. Really terrifying.
That's what is commonly called being hagrid. It's common in sleep paralysis
>>
>>504605
The emperor protects.
>>
>>502130
Holy shit I burst out laughing when I got to the end
>>
>>501773
Nope.
Steve Jobs is basically mythological already, only for the modern age.
>Asshole
>Didn't invent shit
>Steals ideas from other people
>Just a decent salesman

Everyone (normalfags) hails him as a technological genius and good person.
>>
>>504686
Am I the only one who has had glowing and colorful magic circles with sigils/letters lining the inside?
I was facing the wall when it happened and had the distinct impression "If I turn around I'm going to regret it" and just went back to sleep.
>>
>>507888
Not really. We still have legends. Do you think everyone took the Greek myths literally, for example? No, they weer allegorical stories that were half-believed by any sane person
>>
>>508435
They were really believed. Do you think the moral superiority of the American way of life and Christianity are half-believed? If you do, you're wrong.
>>
>>508177
Those were probably your ancestors talking to you m8
>>
for all the anons seeing the shadow nigga in their sleep.

>picrelated
>>
>>508467

They certainly are, not least by buttplugged chumps like you. One can scorn them here because in the rarefied, anonymous atmosphere of 4chan one can take a step back and see their ridiculousness, but that does not mean that we don't tacitly accept the American and Christian/post-Christian way of life as our own just by the act of posting here. Any casual examination of writings from antiquity can reveal that there were many people who wholeheartedly believed in their culture's myths and many again who rationalized them away in any variety of ways. We get the very word "euhemerism" from antiquity. There are doubters of myth in every era.
>>
>>508550
Yeah, there have always been sceptics. My point was, they are believed at face value by most. There has never been a point where people didn't believe something but followed it anyhow.
>>
>>503216
>sleep paralysis
>dark figure everyone gets

I'm pretty sure that it's just something the brain makes up. I got the zelda zombies eating me in my sleep paralysis, not that it is any better
>>
>>508662

That's really interesting that you mention those guys, because I saw one of those in a dream once. In the dream I was in my childhood home walking down the hallway. Suddenly for no apparent reason when I came to the door to my bedroom the house transformed in a flash into something that looked like dark silent hill and one of those zombies was like 5 feet in front of me. I was startled to be sure but I wasn't afraid as such, I remember just taking a deep breath, holding out my hands, and breathing out. Some kind of powerful blue wind came out of my hands and completely obliterated the zombie then the hallway turned back into normal.

I'm pretty sure the dark presences people see in dreams/sleep paralysis represent repressed childhood fears and in my instance I got rid of that fear.
>>
>>508942

>pic infinitely related

These things frightened the piss out of me as a kid
>>
>>508957
>Some kind of powerful blue wind came out of my hands and completely obliterated the zombie then the hallway turned back into normal.

Well I didn't have that power. I just woke up in a stormy field with red wind surrounding me and those guys tried to eat me.
>>
>>501773

I have my own personal mythology.
>>
>>503687

What are your thoughts on psychosis and the way it tends to mirror the hero's journey?
>>
>>509743

It's always been my suspicion that psychosis is somehow tied to the phenomenon of shamanism. The Hero's Journey is ultimately about the process of individuation.

To quote Campbell:

The usual pattern is, first, of a break, away or departure from the local social order and context; next, a long, deep retreat inward and backward, as it were, in time, and inward, deep into the psyche; a chaotic series of encounters there, darkly terrifying experiences, and presently (if the victim is fortunate) encounters of a centering kind, fulfilling, harmonizing, giving new courage; and then finally, in such fortunate cases, a return journey of rebirth to life. And that is the universal formula also of the mythological hero journey... and that is the pattern of these fantasies of the psyche.

Now it was Dr. Perry’s thesis in his paper that in certain cases the best thing is to let the schizophrenic process run its course, not to abort the psychosis by administering treatments, but, on the contrary, to help the process of disintegration and reintegration along. However, if a doctor is to be helpful in this way, he has to understand the image language of mythology. He has himself to understand what the fragmentary signs and signals signify that his patient, totally out of touch with rationally oriented manners of thought and communication, is trying to bring forth in order to establish some kind of contact. Interpreted from this point of view, a schizophrenic breakdown is an inward and backward journey to recover something missed or lost, and to restore, thereby, a vital balance. So let the voyager go. He has tipped over and is sinking, perhaps drowning; yet, as in the legend of Gilgamesh and his long, deep dive to the bottom of the cosmic sea to pluck the watercress of immortality, there is the one green value of his life down there. Don’t cut him off from it: help him through.
>>
>>510082
>cont

Dr. Perry and Mr. Murphy introduced me to a paper on “Shamans and Acute Schizophrenia” by Julian Silverman of the National Institute of Mental Health and there again I found something of the greatest interest and of immediate relevance to my studies and thinking. In my own writings I had already pointed out that among primitive hunting peoples it is largely from the psychological experiences of shamans that the mythic imagery and rituals of their ceremonial life derive. The shaman is a person who in early adolescence underwent a severe psychological crisis, such as today would be called a psychosis. Normally the child’s apprehensive family sends for an elder shaman to bring the youngster out of it, and by appropriate measures, songs, and exercises, this experienced practitioner succeeds. As Dr. Silverman remarks and demonstrates in his paper, “In primitive cultures in which such a unique life crisis resolution is tolerated, the abnormal experience (shamanism) is typically beneficial to the individual, cognitively and affectively; he is regarded as one with expanded consciousness.” Whereas, on the contrary, in such a rationally ordered culture as our own or, to phrase the proposition again in Dr. Silverman’s words, “in a culture that does not provide referential guides for comprehending this kind of crisis experience, the individual typically undergoes an intensification of his suffering over and above his original anxieties.”
>>
>>503455
>>502108
this is why I always smile when feminists talk about how they want to be judged on their opinions and not how they look.

it's also why the western world is going to burn in an orgy of destruction unseen since the fall of the Roman Empire, but I suppose that's a little off topic
>>
I had sleep paralysis once, except instead of a shadowy figure there was about 1 foot of water above me and I couldn't raise my head. Actually thought I was going to drown, it was terrifying.
As it turns out, holding one's breath is apparently the fastest way to break out of sleep paralysis, as once my lungs started burning I sat straight up and gasped.

Aside from that, I suffer from exploding head syndrome semi-regularly.
>>
>>503687
According to this the current mythology is science and laws
>>
>>502130
"Kill me, Piere, mon ami"
>>
>>503164
My favourite one:
Its called "absence of purpose and meaning"
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
>>503164
Le epic thread derail meme

Kill me, Pete
>>
>>511542

Only partially. There is no narrative that incorporates the modern view of the cosmos and the social order into a system which evokes awe at the universe and prepares a person for every stage of life (birth, adolescence, adulthood, decrepitude, and finally death). We have no rituals for these stages, sure we have funerals, but where are the coming of age rituals that all the cultures of the past had? Where is our connection to nature?
>>
>>503216
Kinda want this one to happen to me
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
>>512047
>where are the coming of age rituals that all the cultures of the past had?
Being taught how to shave, drinking illegally then having your first "legal" drink, etc. These seem mundane to you because they are part of your everyday cultural fabric, same as the rituals you are idealizing were part of the everyday fabric of their respective societies.
>>
>>512084
no man, you don't.

>t. saw it 4 times
>>
>>512047
>but where are the coming of age rituals that all the cultures of the past had? Where is our connection to nature?

in medieval Serbia, it was killing a man in battle. before that you were considered an otrok (before age, youngster).
>>
>>512507
What makes serbs so bloodthirsty?
>>
>>512555
the neighbours
>>
>>512555
who wasn't bloodthirsty in medieval age?
in recent times, though, i blame the ottoman invasion and our fucked up geographical location between the east and the west. i dunno.
>>
File: hmm hmm.jpg (48KB, 366x488px) Image search: [Google]
hmm hmm.jpg
48KB, 366x488px
>>512555
well:

>early middle ages 700 - 1000 CE
fighting with turkic Bulgars from the steppes that started conquering Slavic tribes and creating their own empire. We managed to carve our own, others were not so lucky (e.g. the Slavs that eventually formed the modern Bulgarians)

>middle ages
Byzantines and their strange diplomacy of helping you while fucking you and fucking you while helping you. In the fuck/help triangle with the Bulgarians included, we danced the dance for most of the middle ages until eventually..

>later middle ages
we got tired of the Byzantines (we never like those strange fuckers anyhow, besides orthodoxy - culture is culture, you need some basics to develope and progress and their progress was better than ours, they had temples of gold in Constantinople when we in the 9th century had stonehenges and mudhuts, that was the time when we adopted christianity as slavic pagans, 851 CE Knez Mutimir Vlastimirovic - our entrance to the medieval EU). As said we got tired of the Byzantines, the Bulgarians were weaker in that time than they were before (they had interregnum atm), so one of ours started conquering the others, the only thing that left was to conquer Constantinople and voila the new ERE would be consolidated under one Tsar, this time our own.

>late middle-ages 15th century
but as said before the Byzantines, they are strange. those fucks actually invited muslim mongolian/turkic troops from the fuck knows where, a tribe called Osman at that time and gave them support into battling against us. Those niggers were quicker and more agile than our arrogant and slow heavily armored knights. It was however our arrogance that hurt the most, we according to legends used to get drunk before fighting against them, and one night they attacked us while we were sleeping drunk and slaughtered most of the troops (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_S%C4%B1rp_S%C4%B1nd%C4%B1%C4%9F%C4%B1) this was our downfall.

Everything else is, history ...
>>
>>512742
>What makes serbs so bloodthirsty?

I forgot to answer that one. I don't know, I do not see us as such.
>>
>>510082
>>510086

Awesome. Well, I'm psychotic and my journey was interrupted with medication. Is there any way for me to complete it now, or did I accidentally gimp myself by trusting in doctors?
>>
>>503312
How do I induce it? I want to see for myself
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
File: yakub.png (137KB, 402x600px) Image search: [Google]
yakub.png
137KB, 402x600px
>>514288
make your body as tired as possible, but your mind as stressed as you can. your mind will wake up (often dream induced) before your body comes out of deep sleep, thus you'll be paralysed. if you let yourself go you'll fall immediatly asleep and continue with your dream, however if you become aware that you are awake... thats where the real shit kicks in. say hello to yakub.
>>
>>514288
>i want to experience pure terror

have you nothing better to do. seriously
>>
>>514288
It happens to me whenever I come back from festivals or shit like that. First time I got it was after "sleeping" outside in the snow in a train station.

Basically, be really sleep deprived, lie on your back, breathe deeply
>>
>>514827
Be forewarned though. It's fucking terrible, not as bad when you know what it is but it can still make you feel awful and stop you from getting to sleep at all.

definitely an experience
>>
my latest sleep paralysis was a short episode. I "woke up" before i was awake, all that happened was i heard a baby crying "Ow ow ow ow ow!" Really loud (but in the distance) for about 4-5 seconds. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. It was creepy as fuaark though (there's no baby living in my house).
>>
I've only had sleep paralysis once, but I guess it doesn't count as a "proper" one. It went like this:

>Wake up, unable to move.
>"Huh, this must be sleep paralysis."
>Decide to try to sleep again, since I can't really do anything.
>Fall asleep.
>>
>>515024
maybe you didn't have it. sleep paralysis is usually accompanied by imagined sensations, hearing things, seeing things, feeling things. you might see a person in your room, hear him speak to you, feel him touching you or weighing down on your chest. all the while being unable to move.
>>
>>503288
>googling Kuchisake-onna this late at night

Well that was daft
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
Fuck this thread, I wanted to sleep
>>
I had sleep paralysis while at a hunting cabin.
Fucking terrifying. I saw demonic looking creatures floating in the air by my bedside. Lasted for what felt like hours. Couldn't sleep after that.

Truly the most horrifying thing ever.
>>
File: santa.jpg (969KB, 1995x2791px) Image search: [Google]
santa.jpg
969KB, 1995x2791px
Myths still exist but their form has changed. >>503288 had good ideas.Some possible candidates include:

>Bigfoot
>Chupacabra
>Little Green Men/Alien abdutions
>Slenderman
Despite its origins as an intended hoax Slenderman has infiltrated the popular consciousness and did at one point manage to convince some people he was real, particularly before he became very popular. There are now attempted murders attributed in his honor and he's very popular with the younger set who are more willing to suspend disbelief in order to play along with the fiction. He's the modern day boogie man except with greater cultural cachet because adults like him too.

The most common and well celebrated though imo is SANTA CLAUS. Literally millions of (little) people believe he exists and many more millions are willing to enforce the myth. There are songs, movies and books about him. He is on postcards and billboards and mail stamps and on every manner of knick knack you could buy. He has specific iconography associated with him (the hat, the sleigh, the reindeer, the big bag of toys, the stockings etc). Children make pilgrimages (to the mall) in order to see him. There is a whole ritual dedicated to pleasing him by way of offerings (milk and cookies). Santa Claus is a cultural juggernaut.
>>
>>512084
Its not nearly as scary when you know its a trick of the brain. You can't make yourself wake up but you can force yourself to fall asleep; the visions will continue into your dream but its not as scary when your mind is clouded by dream logic.
>>
>>502130
Kill me, Pete
>>
>>501867
this nigga may be memeing but he's right, memes have replaced mythology
>>
this thread explains why I woke up unable to move one night with a red floating orb bouncing around in front of me at the foot of my bed. I thought it was an alien abduction .
>>
I've only had sleep paralysis once, and I swear to god I'm not trying to be funny here, but I saw christopher lee's face with black eyes slowly floating towards me. I had just read about sleep paralysis a few days before that though so I wasn't scared. It was just weird.
>>
The Legend never dies.
>>
>>513277

Bumping for answer to this.
>>
>>513277
>>518421

I can't give you an answer to that in good conscience, perhaps you could talk about it with a therapist that's familiar with that form of treatment. Don't be surprised if you get funny looks though. Jungian therapy (which this is very similar to) is very popular. I don't shit about your condition and someone people do very well with medication.
>>
>>518992
>Jungian therapy (which this is very similar to) is very popular

*isn't
>>
>>502130

Kill me, Pete
>>
>>502130

Kill me, Pete
>>
>>504686
>A floating face kind of in front of your eyes and behind at the same time, like you feel it behind your eyelids.
okay that one sounds absofuckinglutely terrifying
Thread posts: 168
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.