[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have knowledge of basic html and css from a few college courses.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ref-01.png (1MB, 1268x1105px) Image search: [Google]
ref-01.png
1MB, 1268x1105px
I have knowledge of basic html and css from a few college courses. My main skill is graphic design, but I am constantly getting asked if I "do" websites. They would be mostly for small businesses such as: construction companies, landscaping companies, car detailing companies, etc. I am not looking to build any type of e-commerce site, just simple websites that highlight the services offered with an emphasis on acquiring leads through a strong call to action.
I find myself struggling trying to code a website from scratch. I found a really nice wordpress template that would work well with the website design I already have mocked up.
I am looking to sit down and watch like 10-20 hours of tutorials on how to code a website, but I want to make sure I am choosing the best option for this type of thing. Any thoughts/help would be appreciate.

tldr Best method for creating simple websites for service type businesses? (No e-commerce)

Pic related (its the website mockup/design that I want to code)
>>
Use bootstrap templates...
>>
Every Web designer nowadays use templates. You can totally do a 'unique' design, but it's highly probable it's going to look like any other website.
>>
>>254405
you recommend bootstrap over wordpress? what the difference?
>>
I'm not sure where to ask this because there's not really a dedicated question thread, but my question is of a similar topic.

Back in high school in like 2009-10 I took a web design class, and we learned html flash and css.
Then we started using a program that would help build websites, I think it was Macromedia Dreamweaver.
Do people use these kind of programs still to create websites and the like?
I want to fool around and make some experimental platforms for some of my art, but I've forgotten a lot about writing websites from scratch.
Is Dreamweaver still even a program? I thought Macromedia disappeared or something. If not, are there any free alternative programs to visually create websites?
>>
>>254404
WordPress.
1) It's a content management system, so your clients can change the website themselves if they want
2) its going to look way better than anything you can do yourself as a beginner (or even as an intermediate developer)...

Don't bother with HTML, CSS, unless it's editing an existing WordPress theme
>>
>>254489
Nah, people write their codes from scratch. It's not really that hard and gives you much more control over it.
Dreamweaver and other softwares tend to add tons of undesired code and mess things up. Coding is fun, anon, do it yourself.
>>
>>254514
What about motion graphics?

I'd like to get something working like some layering of images with parallax. The images themselves animated beforehand, but they all move separate to create a total piece.
Would something like processing be good for that? I seen something called Touch Designer as well, but I don't know if it would be useful for it.

I don't have a problem with coding, I just wish I could approach it more visually.
>>
>>254404
steal content, esp. free content from around the web
There's some sites you can pay for this, if you really want to fund their having stolen it (as often as not) from other ppl
But mostly just trawl the web

fwiw, I'm constantly picking up websites from around, steal their code and rework it so it's mine
I __don't__ mean steal their designs, just their skeletons

Or am I going to be ostracised from /gd/ for admitting what everyone else already does now?
>>
>>254489
>I took a web design class, and we learned html flash and css.
>we learned html flash and css.
>flash

And if you ever, EVER use that on any website ever, /gd/ will beat you to death
>>
>>254550
It was back in 2009 ish, flash was still kinda relevant back then and HTML5 hadn't really taken off yet.
I cant imagine anybody uses flash in a professional manner nowadays. Especially with all the shit regarding it nowadays and it being phased out.

I just want to showcase some of my art in a way that's kinda neat and gimmicky. If anything, just to fuck around as a personal project.
>>
>>254530
Could you give me an example of what you want? because I'm not understanding the "animated beforehand" part. You mean gifs?

You can create an easy parallax effect using jQuery, if you just google "jquery parallax" or "javascript parallax" you will surely get tons of results.
>>
>>254669
I do animations, but I'd like to create multiple animations that fit together to make a scene.
Just for a quick example

Foreground with trees blowing
Middle with car moving by
Background with mountains and clouds moving.

Essentially I'd like to layer them in a way that's somewhat "interactive". Think moving the view on the X and Y axis and the scene moving with parallax in relation to the movement. I know the effect in this case wouldn't be super realistic in any way, but it's kind of what I mean.

Or even something super simple like having a background layer move upwards over time.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.