[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neil deGrasse Tyson: “Society has bigger problems than what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

File: neil_degrasse_tyson4.jpg (299KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
neil_degrasse_tyson4.jpg
299KB, 620x412px
>“Nobody’s talking about ‘tomorrowland’ anymore. We’re waiting for our next app,” Tyson exclaims. “Now I love me some apps, don’t get me wrong here.”

>“But, society has bigger problems than what can be solved with your next app, in transportation, and energy and health. And these are huge sectors of society and they are solved by innovations in these fields,” Tyson continued. “Without it we might as well just proceed back into the cave, because that’s where we’re headed.”

U.S. has definitely lost the edge in fundamental research. The fact that CERN exists in Europe speaks volumes.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/13/neil_degrasse_tyson_society_has_bigger_problems_than_what_can_be_solved_with_your_next_app/
>>
>>52982080
>transportation, and energy
Hippies cockblocked nuclear power years ago, and market is too retardedly enamored with electric vehicles to ever consider natural gas ICE. We could have had clean energy and transportation years ago.
>>
File: usa europe.png (33KB, 946x569px) Image search: [Google]
usa europe.png
33KB, 946x569px
>>52982080
>The fact that CERN exists in Europe speaks volumes.
What the fuck are you talking about? Europe should be contributing at least as much to modern science as the US.

Also
>salon.com

Also
>physicist thinks his specialized knowledge applies to society in general

Fuck him. And fuck you too.
>>
>>52982080
>The fact that CERN exists in Europe speaks volumes
it is good, if they fuck up and form a black massive hole(bigger than your mommas) then europe will be gone first
>>
>>52982295
I don't care where the power comes from, electric vehicle propulsion is superior.
>>
>>52982080
>a nigger having the right to criticize white society's advancements

I'm REALLY gonna have to stop you there, bro.
>>
>>52982669
cross burning is that way, Mr. Middle class suburban unemployed white 25-32 year old
>>
Hes right though.

We need another cold war. Nothing like a competing superpower and the threat of nuclear annihilation to actually create technological progress
>>
>>52982295
money cockblocked nuclear power, nuclear plants are routinely billions of dollars over budget and years behind schedule. wind and solar are cheaper and faster alternatives, and also safer
>>
>>52982406
>>52982080

US started their own collider and then left it dormant because "muh taxes are wasted put it into useless defenz instead because we're shit scared of commies still and can't see its just being pocketed by the big families."
>>
>>52982863
Well why not let the euros do it? What's the problem?
>>
>>52982753
>Safer
No they aren't.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/06/10/energys-deathprint-a-price-always-paid/#7fc047f649d2

Nuclear is also the cheapest power per watt, only problem is the high start up.
But solar and wind just aren't viable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source#United_States

Wind can match nuclear in price, but has the problem of low output, and is unreliable.
Scaling up wind isn't doable.

Scaling down Nuclear is damn tricky too though, but that's fine for a big city plant.
>>
>>52982080
yeah because everyone is a software engineer now right? Fucking stupid nigger.
>>
>>52984278

I really hope it becomes legal to kill racists in the future.

It's basically the butterfly effect. The longer we allow these socially destructive people to live, the harder it becomes to clean up the problem in the future. We need a preventative measure.
>>
>>52984322
Great, start killing people with opinions we don't like.
That can't possibly go wrong.
>>
>>52982406
nominal GDP mean jack shit
>>
>>52984375
So Europe is a pack of hapless peasants who need to ride America's coattails? Fuck you. The point stands.
>>
File: f3e46584dd18ebe7.jpg (429KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
f3e46584dd18ebe7.jpg
429KB, 1024x682px
I really hope it becomes legal to kill people that aren't feminist in the future.

It's basically the butterfly effect. The longer we allow these socially destructive people to live, the harder it becomes to clean up the problem in the future. We need a preventative measure.
>>
>>52984338

Your socially demeaning views have the potential to create repressive societies that kill millions.

Your death in exchange for a million others. I'll take that any day.
>>
>>52982080
>The fact that CERN exists in Europe
>Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire
>>
>>52984403
I'll only support this if he dies screaming. It's got to have an impact on others like him to make it worth doing.
>>
>>52984403
Too bad you're an impotent little gnome then
>>
>>52984403
wrong place dude, go back to tumblr
>>
>>52984403
Except that determining when someone is actually racist, vs someone who doesn't agree with measures like affirmative action, or says equal opportunity rather than equal results.

Essentially, killing people who disagree with you, and blaming them for societies problems is pretty much how the holocaust happened, or how millions died in Russia for disagreeing with communism.

Essentially, as much as you're blaming racists for a toxic society, you're even more detrimental.
>>
>>52984519
tumblr is here
>>
>>52983336
I don't have a problem, It should be a human race collaborative effort. OP should have picked up on something else like space program if he wanted to have a dig at the US' attitude.
>>
>>52984245
reading what you linked to:
>The reason the nuclear number is small is that it produces so much electricity per unit. There just are not many nuclear plants

maybe deaths/kilowatt isn't a good metric, then. would you really feel "safer" living 1 mile away from a nuclear plant than you would 1 mile away from a wind farm? when nuclear goes wrong, it goes really wrong; the cleanup of fukishima will take decades. my friend's sister was born in ukraine around the time of chernobyl and has a damaged thyroid as a result of the fallout, and is now dependent on daily medication.

also
>Nuclear is also the cheapest power per watt, only problem is the high start up.
the "only" problem is significant.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/dec/28/the-strong-economics-of-wind-energy
>>
>>52982863
>useless defens
Yeah, sure.
Imagine the United States suddenly pulling all its carrier groups back to their respective mainland coastlines/Hawaii, because every other nation in the world can go fuck itself.

And then watch as China muscles its way into the neighborhoods of Japan and Korea, watch Russia take over Ukraine unimpeded, watch the middle east completely destabilize (even more than it already has), watch Somalian pirates et al. take over the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, and totally abandon South America while focusing our efforts on defending the border when wave after human wave of illegal immigrants attempt to swarm us because those chucklefucks can't even handle their downward spiral drug and corruption problem.

You fucking hippie.
>>
Guy who writes apps for other companies for a living here.

Neil, I agree with you. If I had my way, I'd be doing something that actually makes an impact instead of writing a few thousand lines of code for an app that'll be dead six months from now. Really, I would.

But it's not easy to do that. I was able to get a career developing iPhone apps with practically no cash at all... just a computer and fuckloads of time. No expensive education or degrees or equipment or anything. I didn't even use a real Mac to learn Objective-C; I hackintoshed a used $300 laptop.

That's simply not possible in the fields mentioned. They all require individuals who've been through years and years of highly specialized education as well companies who are trying to make a difference to hire them. For someone like me, meeting those requirements is a little like getting the planets to align.

More people will be doing these things once doing so becomes practical and within reach. Right now, it's not.
>>
Capitalism is the bane of modern society
>>
>>52984624
That article includes the cost of chern/fuk in it.
I'd feel just as safe, because I already do.

Modern plants cannot melt down like Chernobyl, physically impossible.
Modern plants shut down when something goes wrong, rather than speeding up.

Even Fukishma couldn't happen any more with a modern plant.
Modern plants have coolant which would not leak like Fuk.

Not to mention Fuk was under-maintained on a fault line.

http://www.cfact.org/2011/03/17/nuclear-safety-reactors-that-cant-meltdown/

I'd much rather live near a nuclear plant actually, as at least it isn't noisy.

The constant background of a wind farm is a real issue, if you lived that close to it.
It winds up being about as loud as your fridge, but throughout you whole house.

Wind also has the issue of being inconsistent.
It can't be a primary energy source, as when the wind stops, need something that can replace it.
Battery technology isn't there.

It also uses a shit ton of land, which may or may not be a big problem.

Also, need to upgrade the whole damn power grid.

The high start up is significant, but it hasn't stopped nuclear from providing cheap power to many places, and winds issues are far more problematic.
http://notrickszone.com/2012/12/30/poland-czech-republic-to-block-out-germanys-unstable-green-electricity-coal-to-play-a-major-role/
>>
>>52982080
Links to an article by salon

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>52984786
I'd feel just as safe as living near a wind farm, and I already do live near a nuclear plant*.

Anyway, meltdowns just don't happen in modern plants, so please stop perpetrating that myth.

Even with meltdowns, still safer than wind.

Climbing up a wind tower is a bit dangerous.
>>
imagine what we could accomplish if we legit had someone to compete against
if russia was still a powerhouse wanting to go to mars before us we'd actually want to fucking fund but nah man
defense budget
>>
File: black science man.jpg (215KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
black science man.jpg
215KB, 960x540px
>>52984756
Neil here.
Thanks for your input! :^)
>>
>>52984820
chinese are the next best thing, but they are still years away from really competing.
>>
>>52982753
>wind and solar are cheaper and faster alternatives
This has to be bait.
>>
>>52984786
>>52984817
you have more faith in the safety of nuclear plants than i do, then.
>>
>>52982406
INDIA WILL BE SUPER POWER IN 2030
>>
>>52984624
If I lived a mile from a wind farm I'd probably be hearing it all day. My friend used to live near a bunch of wind turbines, they're pretty noisy.
>>
>>52984912
I have faith in facts.
Modern nuclear plants cannot melt down.

Nuclear has a much better track record, even including Chern + Fuki, neither of which could happen with a modern plant.

Having an irrational fear of nuclear is just going to prevent us from getting clean energy, and is why we still rely on oil + coal.

There are a couple of power sources that can power our world.

Wind and solar aren't among them.
Geo, Nuclear, and Hydro are pretty much it.
Geo is great where it works.

Hydro works in a lot of places, but there's too many places where it doesn't.

Nuclear works everywhere, and is our safest, cleanest, and one of the cheapest per watt.
Those are all facts.
The high start up cost isn't a problem for big cities, or anywhere that needs that much power.
>>
>>52982406
He's ten times more intelligent than you will ever be.
>>
>>52984960

Chernobyl was a failure on both the design and management. Fukushima was a failure of design because it didn't take into account worst case scenarios in an area where worst case scenarios are likely to happen. It also should have been shut down a decade prior to make way for new generation plants.

And despite all of this, if we had a Chernobyl level disaster every 20 years, we would still be far better off over a 100000 year period it would take for the first nuclear disaster to clear up than we would with burning coal.
>>
>>52984402
u mean that are feminist?
>>
Praise nuclear
>>
>>52982578
>gloating that europe was gone 5 minutes first

you won't even know
>>
The amount of matter the lhc is colliding isn't nearly enough to create a black hole that can sustain itself long enough to overcome the decay through Hawking radiation and have a strong enough gravitational force to pull in and strip matter down to its condensed singularity.
>>
>>52984403
>trading genocide for more genocide
what?
>>
>>52984245
I live right next to Indian Point and it has been in the newspapers many times this year and the last. It has leaked 65,000% and it is about 80% worse than when it was first reported.

48 nuclear power plants are leaking in the USA. They are fucking dangerous and cost a hell of a lot of money to upkeep, not to mention once decommissioning takes place. And the stuff remains for years and years, thousands even.

Maybe you'll get cancer from one. Maybe it would knock some sense into you. Keep eating the shit industry spreads on your intertubes.
>>
>>52984912
They are very safe though. The only real issues with nuclear power are uranium mining and what to do with the remainders. That said, environmentalists should get off their high fucking horse pronto. Nature does not give a shit and the only reason these cucks are giving one is self-preservation. Stop pretending like you care about nature for moral reasons. You don't you swines.
>>
>>52982080
For somebody who doesn't have a particularly notable speaking style you sure can tell when a quote is actually his.
>>
>>52982753
>I assume this is bait, but more than likely it's underage b&
>>
>>52984774
Capitalism BUILT modern society, pinko dipshit. But please, do tell us how your perfectly infallible version of communism that has never been tried would have us living in a utopia.
>>
>>52984624
Living near a nuke plant is actually quite safe provided it's up to current standards. The biggest problem is we (in America) haven't built nuke plants in decades even though, dispite governmental interference, research has lead nuke power has become increasingly safer and more efficient provided we rebuild/ build new plants. Unfortunately loads of people are too retarded to embrace the future because of The Simpsons and their hippy three eyed fish.
>>
>>52984245
As long as you do not factor in the waste, it is cheaper. m|
>>
>>52984941
Don't know about India, but China will be close to the US economically by then.
>>
>>52986185
every time someone says we shouldn't use nuclear because it's dangerous then says we should keep using coal my autism gets triggered

fucking coalfags
>>
File: 144225047841.png (232KB, 500x576px) Image search: [Google]
144225047841.png
232KB, 500x576px
>>52984774
Fuck off hippie
>>
>>52986083

It's not expensive to maintain, it's just money the government doesn't want to spend on maintaining. Beyond that, most nuclear plants in the US should have been decommissioned over a decade ago. They don't just shut it down and let it sit there, they're supposed to dismantle and upgrade to new generation. That up front cost is expensive and if the same government isn't willing to part with the relatively low cost of maintainence, likely they're going to balk at the cost of upgrading purely on the basis of it being a big number.
>>
>>52984948
Bait
>>
>>52984322
I'm an actual racist. 70% of black people carry a gene that makes them predisposed to violence and crime. 90% carry a gene that makes them feel less guilt and empathy. They are not a suitable people for a civilized society. Most also make poor programmers.
>>
>>52986264

So what is this gene we've isolated and have plenty of scientific data saying that said gene causes lack of empathy or violence?
>>
>>52984960
Calling bullshit right there.

Cheaper: with gov. subsid. and ignoring the waste disposal, maybe, probably not even then.

Safer: no.

Modern powerplants? There are not even five of them in the world. And running them in the private sector where costs are the driving factor. Not safety, does not make it better.

Clean: i can not even think of a way how you mean this seriously. Surely the contaminated water in japan does not count?
>>
>>52986311
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_A
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-2B_adrenergic_receptor

MAOA low activity alleles are found in higher percentages in Africans.
Adra2 empathy boosting variant is found in only 10% of Africans.
>>
>>52986324

I love how when data is pointed out to people against nuclear power on the basis of safety, Chernobyl and Fukushima being specifically pointed out as exceptions because regulations on maintainence and decommissioning were not followed, they point out the result of those disasters as if doing so is adding anything of worth to the point which had already been dismissed
>>
>>52986324
Nuclearfags will spout heir bullshit about how nuclear is the safest and cleanest, but conveniently fail to mention the waste problem. Also the US has massive amounts of land which could be used for solar & winds (like the planes of Wyoming wherever the fuck, i dont live in the US). Nuclear was a nice idea, massive amounts of energy no doubt, but the technology for solar and wind is incredibly advanced. Just look at the solar plant they built in morrocco (i think) just a few weeks ago
>>
>>52986083
Instead you just believe what the media tells you, don't you?

Coal plants are more radioactive even than your leaky plant, and they nuclear is still cheaper.

Keep spreading fossil fuel industry shit.

Nuclear waste is very safe once we put it in containers.
Those containers are some of the strongest structures ever made.

We're also working on recycling it, and making waste that lasts shorter periods of times.

Despite all your anecdotal attacks, nuclear is the safest form of power we have,
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/06/10/energys-deathprint-a-price-always-paid/#7fc047f649d2

Try providing an actual source for nuclear power doing harm, and please not a rag like nature.com
>>
>>52986201
Even when you do faster in the waste, it's cheaper than fossil fuels, and solar.
Hydro, Geo, and Wind can beat it in cost, but two of those are limited in where you can use them, and the third isn't able to make the power we need.
>>
File: 1453321493555.jpg (13KB, 225x255px) Image search: [Google]
1453321493555.jpg
13KB, 225x255px
>listening to a nigger
if he's so clever, why doesnt he go and fix africa?
>>
>>52986475
>>52986324
Err, let's break this down.

1) Solar.
Dangerous, dirty.
I've already posted a few links on that.
For the dangerous part, right here.
>>52986502

2) Wind.
Good, but noisy, and impractical for large scale.
Even if we put wind farms all over the plains, getting that energy to say, NY, is a massive problem.
3) Reliablility.
Wind and Solar cannot power the nation, period.
You need something to handle night time, and when the winds stop.
Batteries cannot do this, so you need a second source of energy, that can put out as much power.
This can either be
A) Fossil fuels
Great, we're back to destroying the environment, and doing far more harm than nuclear waste ever will.
B) Nuclear, Hydro, Geo
Why do we even have these solar/wind farms, when this is able to handle the load, and is already completely clean?

So there we go, wind and solar simply aren't viable.
End of story, and something which wind and solar fags always conveniently ignore.

It's also getting far, far more subsidies than nuclear.

4) Nuclear Safety
Nuclear is already, the safest power source we have, beating solar and wind.
See the post linked earlier which has an actual source.
This includes nuclear waste.
Unless you can provide an actual source for nuclear power being dangerous, then gtfo.

5) Ignoring waste
We are very good as disposing of waste, and are making uses for it/finding ways to get more power out of it.
It's a lot more benign than the shit you get from mining what you need for solar, and don't get me started on coal production.
Wind gets away here, but again, not viable.

Nothing has posted has ignored waste, it's factored into nuclear safety, but it really isn't all that relevant. Fossil fuels make a loss worse wastes, and so do solar panels.

6) Modern Power Plants are privatized
Doesn't matter
7) The safety isn't tested
Plants that can't do a Chernobyl are plenty tested.
1/2
>>
>>52986601
He has better things to do than dive into a containment zone
>>
>>52986638
2/2
Plants that can't do a Fukishima :
New, but the technology has been shown to work, and a reactor built with this design would leak like Fuki did.
We know the technology works, that's all that matters.
We can use that same technology in public ones, where safety is a concern.
(We're ignoring the fact that the nuclear industry has one of the best safety records of any industry out there.)
That we aren't building new reactors because a bunch of hippies protested against the only viable energy source we have that doesn't destroy the environment doesn't change that.

6) Contaminated water in Japan does count.
Coal and Solar do a lot more damage.

Coal especially releases a shit ton of radiation into the air.

Also, newer reactors would not do that, but even taking that exception into consideration, Nuclear remains one of our cleanest forms of energy, beating solar.

http://www.thingsworsethannuclearpower.com/2012/09/the-real-waste-problem-solar-edition.html

So, essentially.
Please stop mentioning solar, it makes you look bad, as it's quite dirty compared to anything not a fossil fuel.

Wind is great, but not viable until we get a crazy revolution in battery power.
Also, reinforcing the power grid to handle wind surges is a huge cost.

Geo and Hydro are great where they can be built.

Fossil Fuels are atrocious.

Nuclear is actually a viable source of energy, unlike wind, and is, even considering Fuki and Chern, again, things which newer plant designs prevent, very clean.

If you do reply, please provide an actual source.
>>
>>52986673
nuclear is some boogieman everyone is afraid of

The majority of deaths from say Chernobyl will come from cancer you will get decades much later in life.

> SEPTEMBER 2005 | GENEVA - A total of up to 4000 people could eventually die of radiation exposure from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant (NPP) accident nearly 20 years ago, an international team of more than 100 scientists has concluded.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2005/pr38/en/

Meanwhile in China smog kills thousands a day and it doesn't seem to scare people nearly as much into action
>Physicists at the University of California, Berkeley, calculated about 1.6 million people in China die each year from heart, lung and stroke problems because of incredibly polluted air, especially small particles of haze.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/14/air-pollution-in-china-is-killing-4000-people-every-day-a-new-study-finds

im just saying when put things into perspective nuclear isn't nearly as bad as it is made out to be, even with its accidents on record.
>>
>>52986730
And, especially, please provide an alternative.

If you have to include fossil fuels, it's not valid.
If it's something that can't be done everywhere, not valid.
So, no hydro/geo, great where they work, can't do it eveywhere.

For solar and wind, please address the reliability problem. Battery technology is no where near there.

If we had just built nuclear 40 years ago, rather than protesting it, with designs that can't chernobyl, we could be completely off fossil fuels for electricity, and would have a lot less pressing of a global warming problem, and if you're an USA citizen, probably wouldn't need to be in a war in the middle east.

>>52986746
On top of that, Chernobyl cannot happen again, since we don't do idiotic designs like the Russians did.

>>52986746
I think it's because there are so many stories from the media that are about some mysterious power source, that's too dangerous for mankind, that are direct analogies for nuclear, and are horribly inaccurate, and completely out of date.
>>
>>52986746
Smog from coal probably kills more people each day than will die in total from Fukishima.
>>
>>52986792
While I am pro nuclear, I mentioned that it might end up being a small slice of the pie simply because nuclear reactors are very expensive to built.

Renewables/nuclear might really be put in the spotlight if/when countries take serious steps to fight climate change instead of just paying lip service.
>>
>>52982080
>atheist
>black
Into the trash he goes
>>
>U.S. has definitely lost the edge in fundamental research.

Correction: we haven't lost anything, we've simply given it away for no good reasons whatsoever. There's a big difference between losing something and willfully fucking it away.

Learn the difference.
>>
>>52982080
>The fact that CERN exists in Europe speaks volumes.
It might have something to do with the fact that it's a 60 year old french organization.
>>
>>52986022
>trading his life to safe millions

you have a poor reading comprehension.
>>
>>52986452
I guess i could add more than 50 of the german powerplants having issues, cracks etc on a regular basis.
>>
>>52986520
I still doubt that without any numbers.
>>
>>52984774
for you
>>
>>52986638
Sorry, i still disagree partially. Especially regarding the effect nuclear waste has and the level of storage-safety. I guess we need to leave it that way.

Your link btw goes on about the carbon footprint btw. I would expect this to be low i npower, nothing new for me there.

This discussion woun't get me anywhere and i do not feel like i could learn a lot here. So i will move on. Have a nice day
>>
File: 404 - Squidoo Page Not Found.gif (420KB, 440x320px) Image search: [Google]
404 - Squidoo Page Not Found.gif
420KB, 440x320px
>>52984322
>I really hope it becomes legal to kill racists in the future.
So all SJWs should be killed then. Hmm... you have my attention.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.