[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy shit Firefox sucks ass now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

Mozilla what in the fuck are you doing?

Literally the ONLY FUCKING REASON to use Firefox anymore is ricing
>>
inb4 angling:

4+ tabs with some light javascript makes Firefox go crazy, eating 90% cpu, talking full on scatman. Chrome or Chromium, meanwhile, is just smooth sailing all over the rainbow with no end in sight. I'm not comfortable using a Google browser but firefox is just not usable anymore, and with no viable alternatives, shitsux.
>>
>>52980183
What the fuck does number of people using a browser have to do with anything?
Remember, IE used to have near 100% user share and it sucked absolute dick.
>>
I agree, I think Chromium is much better but Firefox is simply the only option for ricing
>>
>>52980301
>2016
>allowing JavaScript
>>
>>52980183
>ricing
That was literally never a reason to use Firefox. IE sucked, that was the only reason to use Firefox.
>>
>>52980388
>What the fuck does number of people using a browser have to do with anything?
It doesn't, but this is what Mozilla doesn't understand and therefore why Firefox is becoming what it is.
>>
I use Firefox because it automatically deletes my history unlike Chrome.
>>
>not using Waterfox
>>
>using deprecated gecko trash
>>
>>52980301
>Javascript
>>
>>52980419
of course it's a reason to use firefox - only browser that cares about GTK theme. nobody said it wasn't a brain damaged reason.
>>
>>52980301
>>52980505
tell me one (1) good reason to disallow javascript
>>
>>52980410
>>52980522
>>
>>52980419
Corniest tripfag ever
>>
>>52980522
Ad trackers
Possible zero days (almost all attacks against the browser are done via JavaScript)
Performance, especially on Laptops
>>
File: elinks_unix.png (19KB, 726x636px) Image search: [Google]
elinks_unix.png
19KB, 726x636px
>>52980183
>not using elinks
>$current_year
shiggy diggy
>>
>>52980301
90% cpu? What kind of potato do you run? The only difference I've noticed is that Firefox takes a little longer to start up. That's honestly it. Small price to pay to run software that respects my freedoms and have add-ons that help assure my privacy.
>>
>>52980183
I would like to be sucking ass tonight
>>
>>52980455
What is incognito mode
>>
>>52980560
ad trackers: yes because this sure doesn't happen server side as well, if this is a concern uninstall internet
zero days: only valid concern is if you are buying meth through TOR - otherwise does not happen in a significant way
performance: this is my issue - V8 handles it very well though

i find it hard to believe people use noscript nowadays, what websites even work anymore? this was maybe legitimate in 2005 before web-apps became a thing
>>
I imagine the statistics are skewed due to third-party derivatives not necessarily identifying themselves as Firefox. Most everyone I know is a Pale Moon user now.

Chrome is a bloated piece of shit, and I don't trust Google. Pale Moon pushes maybe 240 MB of memory usage, max. A single tab in Chrome eats up more RAM than that.
>>
>>52980646
shitty laptop, still irrelevant - chrome/chromium runs smooth as fuck on my potato and that is the complaint.
>>
>>52980700
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ok screenshot please
>>
>>52980700
>not compatible with modern plugins
Honestly who cares - I could use Midori then.
>>
>>52980410
>>>52980505
>>52980560
[spoiler]you literally cannot post on 4chan without javascript[/spoiler]
>>
>>52980986
That's why you use NoScript and don't disable JS in general.
>>
>>52981037
How I imagine noscript users spend their days:

allow
allow
allow
allow
wait why does this use JS? oh right form validation... allow
allow
allow
>>
>>52981106
Just the first days while setting up you're favorite websites
>>
>>52981141
allow
allow
why... oh right you literally cannot vertically align something without JS
allow
allow
oh right 99.99% of the sites I use require JS
allow
why am i doing this again
allow
>>
>>52981196
allow
allow
at least im secure i think
allow
XSS is a thing right??
allow
allow
guys?
allow
>>
for me the tipping point was the inclusion of DRM, proprietary addons you can't turn off and ads on the new tab page

like firefox was officially dead at that point

the stagnating development and removal of useful features was really just the icing on the cake

by the way, pale moon is dreadful. it just feels like using firefox from 2 years ago. it's the exact same shit as MATE, it's not fixing the problem it's just living in the goddamn past
>>
Instead of innovating technology they spend all their resources trying to find offensive parts of their code and make it inoffensive.
Making firefox fast and minimal is offensive towards people who are 'slow' and large. Because it implies that it is better to be fast and slim.
>>
I'm only using firefox for tree style tab, proper noscript, ank pixiv tool. Things are already going to shit with signed addons only. Performance is getting worse, constantly.

When they change the addon toolkit to the same as chrome, firefox will be completely dead to me. And where will be no good browsers left because all of them are terrible now.
>>
>>52981314
what's that about propriterary addons and DRM? sources?

>>52981330
quite, good sir/madam, i tip my fedora to you
>>
>>52980183
Firefox is awesome, still best browser. Kindly give reasons you think it sucks and I will gladly dispute them.
>>
>>52980183
Am I the only one who uses Opera?
>>
>>52981416
>>52980301
>>
File: 1452608063438.gif (456KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
1452608063438.gif
456KB, 420x315px
>>52980462
>seeing some neckbeard talking about waterfox
>maybe it's not that bad after all
>letstryit.jpg
>first launch, black window.
>try again, still nothing.
Are you even trying ?
>>
>>52981429
If the page lags, it's a shit website. Next.
>>
>>52981404
proprietary addon: pocket. they circumvent it because the client is FOSS, but all the client really does is connect to a proprietary backend

DRM refers to the inclusion of EME in firefox. again, it's not part of the codebase, it's a binary blob that's downloaded when firefox runs into DRM-wrapped content. firefox doesn't tell the user that it's downloading the blob, and as far as I know there's no way to stop it from doing so (although there is a build of firefox without it if memory serves)
>>
>>52981470
good argument

what is a web app? or a game? how much resources are they allowed to consume before being considered shit websites?
>>
>>52981470
>>52981526
oh and let's not forget: how is it excusable that the same sites never lag in chromium?

pls respond
>>
>>52981498
>all the client really does is connect to a proprietary backend
but... that is literally what you are doing while browsing 4chan
>>
>>52981581
funnily enough, 4chan doesn't tout itself as free open source software, wise guy. firefox does, and then it skirts the requirements in an extremely misleading way
>>
>>52981607
Firefox is not free software, nor does it claim to be. They have trademarks, for example.
>>
>not browsing in raw html
>>
>>52981629
the MPL is FSF-approved. tradmarks or not. if you're going to try and make pedantic arguments about stupid technicalities you may as well be correct
>>
>>52981709
No, I just think free/not free is irrelevant to this discussion and the build is called iceweasel. Shit still sux
>>
>>52981467
works for me senpai
>>
>>52981106
>>52981196
>>52981221

This is funny because it's true. I am constantly clicking the "temporarily allow scripts on this page" button. Not sure why I don't just remove this.
>>
>>52980183
>>Literally the ONLY FUCKING REASON to use Firefox anymore is ricing
It's been like that since Chrome came out
>>
>>52981809
No, since V8 came out.
>>
>>52980560
>blocking javascript because of ad trackers
What is <noscript> for 500?
You're a paranoid retard.
>>
>>52981788
hack the planet
>>
As someone who cares about speed only as an afterthought (I grew up with dialup goddamnit) and grew attached to how things worked in the past, Pale Moon is the answer.
At least for now.
I fear there will be a day when the project starts to crumble under trying to replace/ripping out all that shit that is now accumulating in Fx.

Addons aren't a problem right now but might become one in the near future.
But as long as ublock, noscript, greasemonkey and DTA works it's all good.
>>
>>52980674
Still records it just doesn't show it to you. When you delete your history on chome it just hides it.
>>
>>52981863
That said, from a purely technical point, Chrome/ium is clearly superior.
No illusions here.
>>
>>52981790
I found it fairly interesting. I am trying umatrix now which is similar but slightly faster. It's more for unknown sites you check out, it's a real fucking eye opener with regards to the modern industrial data mining complex and fairly repulsive.

I am looking at ways to slowly disconnect from the internets from here on out.
>>
>>52980462
My computer is fucking 32bit

>>52980455
You can choose to not even record it.
>>
>>52982207
? 32bit?

Why? How?

What OS?

What specs?
>>
>>52982207
>he STILL uses 32bit
>1000 + 1000 + 10 + 5 + 1
>>
>>52982207
>2000 + sqrt(256)
>32bit
huehuehuehue
>>
>>52982207
>DateTime.Now.Year
>32bit
holy shit
>>
>>52980677
Noscript is useful because you can whitelist the domains that you need to use the site, while ignoring tracers/ad networks etc.

So many sites have a huge number of additional scripts that add no functionality, and noscript blocks those.
>>
How the fuck does a tab get jammed between two tabs and prevent you from closing them anymore until it "snaps back" and fixes itself?

The only explanation I have is that they keep the tab position as a float.
>>
>>52980183
whoever picked the colors for that graph should be fucking shot
this is what the colors should have been
chrome: yellow
FF: orange
IE: light blue
safari: dark blue
other: green
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.