[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't fucking get it /g/entlemen. Why does everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 1

File: g.png (5KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
g.png
5KB, 375x375px
I don't fucking get it /g/entlemen.

Why does everyone use Java instead of C#?

C# is cross-platform via Mono
C# has a better VM
C# has the backing of a billion+ dollar company
C# is highly regarded in the professional world
C# has an editor that is eons beyond what Java users put up with
C# has better performance
C# uses less RAM
C# has more language features
C# can trivially hook into other C, C++, J#, etc libraries
C# has a giant library as is
C# produces binaries that run on every windows machine without any extra bullshit
C# has unsigned and other proper types

Why the fuck is Java still alive? Why?
>>
Android
>>
>>52964907
Cuz fuck microsoft thats why.
>>
>>52964936
The thread was over before it even started.
>>
>>52964947
Oracle is literally Hitler desu.
>>
>>52964907
>C# is cross-platform via Mono
>C# has a better VM
>C# has an editor that is eons beyond what Java users put up with
>C# has better performance
>C# uses less RAM
>C# can trivially hook into other C, C++, J#, etc libraries

It's not nice to lie on the internet, anon.
>>
>>52964907
We get it, you use windows
>>
Java is free, C# isn't.
Java's library is just as good as any other.
Java features automatic memory management.
More 3rd party libraries and APIs than any other programming language.

Java isn't shit, it is Java compilers.
>>
>>52964967
But anon, C# editor is god-tier.
>>
>>52964907
nice copypasta
>>
>>52964907
Popularity.
Everyone wants to support the mega-pop alpha Chad language because this makes them feel better and fit in. No one cares about the more efficient beta who stays in the background.
>>
>>52965002
VS is good, but all in all, JetBrains stuff can easily keep up.
And after all VS is better with JetBrains Plugins. So wait until Project Rider, their corss-platform C# IDE is done.
>>
>>52964967
But that's the truth.
The core library and many more shit is.
>C# has a better VM
It's true in every way. Just look at the native object constructs the bytecode has compared to bleb tier Java.
Resharper + VS is superior to any Java IDE.
>>C# can trivially hook into other C, C++, J#, etc libraries
It can simply interface with C with a simple annotation. Java sucks in comparison.
>>
>>52965083
>But that's the truth.
No it's not.
But Mono is shit-tier when it comes to implementation quality and performance. And there is no better implementation beside the MS VM and unfinished compiler one that can barely keep up with the Oracle stock JVM. Compare that to the third party JVMs and compilers that win every time.

>It's true in every way. Just look at the native object constructs the bytecode has compared to bleb tier Java.
They literally made the same major mistakes, like making it stack based bytecode instead of prepared AST structures and .Net has the same shit-tier support for actual (aka UTF16 means more than 16 bit max) Unicode.

>Resharper + VS is superior to any Java IDE.
Nah, JetBrains Java stuff is exactly the same. ReSharper is their stuff, so they have the logic in their other IDEs as well and ... well, everyone can make a slow loading mediocre IDE.

>It can simply interface with C with a simple annotation. Java sucks in comparison.
That's the only point that is even remotely valid, but as soon as you require advanced marshalling it will suck like every other language.
>>
>>52964907
But you're wrong.

The .net VM isn't as portable, and isn't as robust or performant on non x86/64 platforms. It has better startup time, but not runtime. No idea on memory, but I really haven't seen any better memory usage on .net software, but if be interested in seeing a benchmark.

C# is not well regarded professionally,l though. It's only well regarded in shops that focus on business only custom app development.

.net has a huge penalty for calling native (non .net) libraries, killing most of the performance benefit you'd get from using a native library.

The standard libraries for both are pretty comparable, as are features, so I'm wondering which you think are missing from java. Also, the math functions in .nets standard libraries have always been poorly designed, and focused on business users, and not scientific uses, requiring extra third party libraries for real use.
>>
>>52965297
>C# is not well regarded professionally
huh
>>
>>52965263
So in your opinion both C# and Java sucks, but Java is more generally adopted and has better support?
(Not the guy you responded though.)
>>
>>52965318
Yes. To be more specific, there is no adequate third party implementation of .Net or C#.
>>
>>52965297
>.net has a huge penalty for calling native (non .net) libraries, killing most of the performance benefit you'd get from using a native library.
Top kek. Pass a pointer...
>>
>>52965351
Not the other anon, but .NET is FOSS and has Linux native builds now.
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr

How does .NET stack up to Java then?
>>
>>52965351
If there would be a good implementation (cross-platform) do you think it would be a lot better than Java or just a little bit? Could it even spread or there's literally nothing stopping Java now?
On the other hand, I believe that indeed C#/.Net has this "enterprise business programming" feeling to it.
>>
>>52965352
That's not how it works.
>>
>>52965423
Retarded app coder detected.
>>
>>52965412
Probably OK, but until it hasn't been established for some years, I'm not willing to take the risk.
It would be better to have third party compilers like from Azul or Excelsoir, thought.
OS vendors shouldn't be put in charge of making compilers. Every time in history that has proven to be a mistake.

>>52965414
>If there would be a good implementation (cross-platform) do you think it would be a lot better than Java or just a little bit?
It's not like I can look into a glass ball and tell the future, anon. It all depends on the vendor not to fuck it up.

>Could it even spread or there's literally nothing stopping Java now?
Remember how there still is COBOL code?

>>52965454
How about you learn about actual compiler construction and - more important - FFIs, then come back?
>>
>>52965521
>How about you learn about actual compiler construction and - more important - FFIs, then come back?
Practical solution just werks. Code monkey can't take the heat. Instructs people to make shit like he does. mfw
>>
That's just an amateur port. It's pretty much still Windows only.
>>
>>52964907
hahaha
>C# has a better VM
bwahahahaha
>C# has the backing of a billion+ dollar company
compared to the backing of several billion+ dollar companies
>C# is highly regarded in the professional world
lol
IDEA shits on all
>C# has better performance
nope
>C# uses less RAM
nice one
>C# has more language features
yeah, a clusterfuck of "let's just throw shit in there, maybe someone uses it"
>C# can trivially hook into other C, C++, J#, etc libraries
same as java
>C# has a giant library as is
smaller than java
>C# produces binaries that run on every windows machine without any extra bullshit
every! windows! machine! truly cross-platform! EVERY WINDOWS MACHINE! bwahahahahaha
>C# has unsigned and other proper types
worthless
>Why the fuck is Java still alive? Why?
the superior platform
>>
>>52965591
Fuck of Oracle shill.
>>
>>52965553
Your "practical solution" is slow.
You know, there is a good reason for that both Java and .Net implement a lot of their own standard library in their own language...
>>
>>52965318
Not the guy you were responding to, but yes, that's a fair assessment.

Java's saving grace is the sheer volume of top quality, third party, libraries. Especially in the scientific and engineering spaces.
>>
Where can I learn as a pro on WPF?
>>
>>52964907
People use what they know.

What is a good IDE for C#? I want it to have a good debugger.
>>
>>52965613
Passing a pointer to an array is slow. Holy fucking shit...
>>
>>52965591
>>C# has more language features
>yeah, a clusterfuck of "let's just throw shit in there, maybe someone uses it"
Ahh yes, the C++ solution. Add more features. If that method actually worked to fix problems, there would be no Objective C, Go, rust or mars D.
>>
>>52965647
At your job.
>>52965660
Visual Studio
>>
>>52965670
No, but actually working in that array, because of muh data conversion and other stuff. Go look it up, it's even documented in MSDN.

Also, yeah, indirecting stuff by pointers is slow.
>>
>>52965591
wow senpai we need more skeptics like you
just look at that "nice one" what a takedown haha
>>
>>52965724
>Also, yeah, indirecting stuff by pointers is slow.
Indeed.
>No, but actually working in that array, because of muh data conversion and other stuff. Go look it up, it's even documented in MSDN.
Pass a raw pointer.
>>
>>52965701
>Visual Studio
Doesn't that lock you down to Windows though?
>>
You guys know that OP is baiting you hard, right? We had this thread days ago.
>>52965746
It does.
>>
>>52964907
its shit
>>
>>52965737
>muh damage control
stay pleb, mscuck
>>
>>52965825
>stay pleb, mscuck
lol nope nice one
>>
>>52965603
Suck me, microshit fucboi!
>>
>>52965834
>lol nope
>reddit tier memes
m8
>>
>>52965847
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
I remember when I passed a C#'s lambda in C's sort function and it just worked. Also C# has raw pointers.
>>
>>52965591
This is bait
>>
>>52965869
shush
>>
>>52965895
That doesn't mean it's fast too.
OP is delusional fucking faggot.
>>52965917
OP is bait.
>>
>>52964907
too little too late
>>
C# is love!

C# is jobs!

C# is life!
>>
>>52965926
C# is fast because it has proper collections.
>>
>>52965926
Fag.
>>
>>52965942
>C#
>Collections
You mean Java, right? With it's mature interfaces, etc. it's light years ahead of C#.
>>
>>52965553
Holy shit, you're actually retarded. Calling someone a codemonkey when you clearly don't even understand the code you're using. Thats rich
>>
>>52965951
Java doesn't even have real arrays.
>mature interfaces
PFFT. Check out linq.
>>
>>52964907
These threads always appear to be more about stirring shit than anything else.
>>
>>52965351
>>Yes. To be more specific, there is no adequate third party implementation of .Net or C#.
Does anyone besides toejam eating freetards actually care about this fucking stupid bullshit?
>>
>>52965965
Implying you know what you're responding to.
>>
You're forgetting that C# has syntax-level support for asynchronous code , not just some ad-hoc libs.
>>
>>52966023
No, but toe jam eating freetards are a large part of the development community.
>>
>>52966104
We're talking about the community that matters (i.e. makes cash).
>>
>>52965979
muh java 8 streams, jinq
>>
>>52966147
Xamarin?
>>
>>52965660

Visual studio....even people who hate ms have to admit vs is vary nice.
>>
Yet it's fucking hassle to use and it's impossible to write C# without Visual Studio, especially on OS X or GNU/Linux because C# is using Win32 APIs up the ass to do most things that actually matter.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.