[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just installed my very first SSD. This thing is amazing. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: Ultra_II_front-retina[1].png (73KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ultra_II_front-retina[1].png
73KB, 1000x1000px
I just installed my very first SSD. This thing is amazing. I boot in less than three seconds after post.

There are a few things I already know:

>I should never Defrag an SSD. It doesn't work like that, and I'd only end up hurting my drive.

>CCleaner isn't really needed anymore, and if I do use it, I should never wipe clean space. Once again, it doesn't work like that.

>With no mechanical parts, I can finally ship my tower from my bedroom to the living room routinely without much worry.

What I don't know is:

>Without the need to Defrag or use Ccleaner, is there ANY kind of up-keep I need to do like I used to?

>This thing's basically just a really advanced flash drive, right?

>Will playing games with the SSD as my only drive damage the drive?

>I had no way of fitting it anywhere in my tower. It's honestly just sitting at an angle on one of the drive bays held in place by friction and the strength of the cables alone. Should I fix this, or is it fine?
>>
>no, just make sure your sata mode in the BIOS is set to AHCI
>yes
>no
>fine
>>
>>52955732
>no, just make sure your sata mode in the BIOS is set to AHCI

Shit. What happens if it isn't?
>>
>>52955753
Not sure, I think it was related to performance and making sure your OS is actually treating it as an SSD and not a mechanical drive. Check it, if it isn't it's just a switch and a regedit value in Windows (google that stuff)
>>
>>52955792
Just looked. It was set to AHCI by default.

Could that be a reason my mechanical drive failed after three years?
>>
>>52955509
>CCleaner isn't needed any more
Yeah, did you really get shilled into using it in the first place? I thought /g/ was smarter than to use registry cleaners.
>>
>>52956001

>I thought /g/ was smarter than to use registry cleaners

What's wrong with it?
>>
>>52955509

Just make sure you keep a health sensor program running 24/7.

SSDs have very short lifespans. I just had a customer on his 2nd ssd. But I recommended he buy a western digital 1tb as daily backup this time.

SSDs are weird because there's no warning when they die, unlike mechanicals which make sounds.

Anyways hope that helped.
>>
>>52956070
It'll last more than a year, right?
>>
>>52955936
No, AHCI is just a new standard that replaces IDE. It supports hotswap and such, it doesn't break drives.
>>
>>52956101
What is your warranty
>>
>>52956101
Of course it will. A SSD isn't that fragile
>>
>>52956070
>SSDs have very short lifespans.
Modern SSDs last longer than HDDs.
>>
>>52956029
at best, snake oil
worst case scenario; you screw shit up
>>
>>52956129
3 years
>>
>>52955936
Unlikely, AHCI is needed for some of the advanced features of the drive, such as NCQ. If the the drive is working in AHCI mode but it does not support any advanced feature, for the OS it behaves just like a regular legacy drive to which the advanced feature set just does not apply.

I believe AHCI is required for TRIM support on SSDs, I might be wrong on this though.
>>
It's worth mentioning - did you clone it over? If so make sure your cloning software was modern enough to support trim. If it didn't support trim, it will murder your performance. Best free software to do this is clonezilla. I'm that faggot who knew somebody with ghost 2003 that formed a relationship with it and wouldn't change and wondered why all the SSDs only he was getting were so shitty
>>
>>52956070

Don't forget to rub the case with snake oil while you wear your tin foil hat
>>
>>52956283
It's new everything.

Hell, I even bought a new copy of Windows 10 for it.
>>
>>52956310
>bought a new copy of Windows 10
There are so many things wrong with that sentence.
>>
>>52956070
>Just make sure you keep a health sensor program running 24/7.
The OS does this on its own, you should not need a separate application to monitor the health of the SSD unless you are already suspecting that the drive might fail.
>SSDs have very short lifespans. I just had a customer on his 2nd ssd. But I recommended he buy a western digital 1tb as daily backup this time.
Relatively, if you move around a mechanical HDD while it is power on, its life could be shortened a lot which does not happen to SSDs. SSD have issues with long term storage without refresh, so the drive must be powered on every 2 to 5 years (while mechanical HDD do not have this requirement) and SSD has a limited amount of writes before it becomes a read-only drive, but you'll need to write a significant amount of TB daily to reach this limit and wear down the drive.

>SSDs are weird because there's no warning when they die, unlike mechanicals which make sounds.

That is some shit drive or (more than likely) PSU you have there, m8.
>>
>>52955936
AHCI also has support to turn the drive off when it isn't being used, which helps your battery life on a laptop and keeps the drive alive longer since it's only being used when it needs to be. Win XP and up has support for AHCI, along with linux and everything after 7 has it out of the box as long as you use the intel ahci chipsets which the good manufacturers do use. IDE mode is only if you are using an old OS before this time that doesn't support ahci so you can use the computer with it
>>
>>52956121
>AHCI is just a new standard

It's quite old and already being replaced by NVMe.
Using an even older standard is retarded.
>>
Do you have the SSD from your image OP?
>>
>>52956351
I doubt he'd be that stupid.
>>
File: drives.jpg (71KB, 620x371px) Image search: [Google]
drives.jpg
71KB, 620x371px
who /samsung850evomasterrace/ here?
>>
>>52956351
Yes

This one specifically:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173012&cm_re=ultra_ii_ssd-_-20-173-012-_-Product
>>
>>52956070
When oh when will this fucking meme die?
This was relevant in 2006 and 2007 when SSDs were a brand new technology. I know every new tech is shit for the first 20% of its, life, but it's fucking 2016.
Read this:
>>52956158
Except you won't and will keep spouting this fucking FUD.

The reason this pisses me off is because I have had to deal with the occasional retarded client who "knows about computers" and they say they want a faster PC but can't accept an SSD because of 10 year old information they read 10 fucking years ago and won't let go of, while still living in this quantum bullshit state of saying "computer technology changes so fast!" and won't accept the SSD but still demand the performance from somewhere. Yes, I am mad.
>>
>>52956383
Reporting in. 850 is damn good for it's price.
>>
>>52956292
mane, you hella stoopid
>>
>>52956167

I have never heard of ccleaner bricking any system ever
>>
>>52956395
>The reason this pisses me off is because I have had to deal with the occasional retarded client who "knows about computers" and they say they want a faster PC but can't accept an SSD because of 10 year old information they read 10 fucking years ago and won't let go of, while still living in this quantum bullshit state of saying "computer technology changes so fast!" and won't accept the SSD but still demand the performance from somewhere. Yes, I am mad.

Data can have sentimental value... granted, it should be stored somewhere else that can provide reasonable protection against loss rather than a SSD but to get mad at some people because they refuse to let go old pictures/documents is just silly.
>>
>>52956450
pretty hard to actually brick a pc, mane
>>
>>52956450
I have seen CCleaner ruin a few proprietary shit programs for example dentrix and some doctor related garbage they had to keep installed because it lists some important registry entries as garbage and cleans them out. It would only ruin that program obviously, and not the OS.

However if you are dealing with a total idiot and they won't let you reformat and they had a massive amount of shit that was taken out, it can legitimately make a huge difference.
>>
>buy Samsung 850 EVO
>read appended instructions on installing:
>plug cable in SSD and other end in USB
cable not included
>run software that is on the CD
my pc does not have a disk drive
>install the SSD in the mount
mount not included
>screw the mount in the pc case
screws not included
(screwdriver also not included)

so I just threw the SSD in the case and used duct tape to fix it there
>>
>>52956070
>ssd has short lifespan
>in 2011+5

You are stupid as fuck. Todat SSDs are way more reliable than what was in 2008. Not only they consume less energy (important for laptops), but also are fast as hell and have a longer lifespan. Do some research nigga. Tommorow you will come here and say that all laptops weight 5kg and registry cleaners are good for your PC.
>>
installing/deleting games on a SSD damages its future performance?
>>
>>52956450
CCleaner is 'safe' for the computer in the sense that default options are unlikely to break the computer tothe point you would need to restore the OS, but it might break some other user experience enhancements like the ability to open certain files with a specific program based on their associations on explorer (rather than opening them inside the application itself) or disable some context menu entries.
>>
>>52956510
yes
purchase one, but never remove it from it's packaking, if you want your ssd to last!
>>
>>52956450
CCleaner always ruins my HP printer drivers, and also made my PC way slower because I cleaned the registry. I learned my lesson some time ago. Windows has an integrated feature to clean residual files and unnecessary ones anyways.
>>
Registry shit shouldn't even be cleaned, the keys use very little space and afaik in windows xp+ they are stored in a database-like system, so they are queried only when needed and the quantity isn't really a problem
>>
>>52956510
No, an SSD could have issues with extreme amounts of writes to the drive... you'd have to be installing and uninstalling the games over and over again over years to reach the wear limits.

Ignore this retard >>52956532
>>
>boot in 3 seconds
It's called suspension
>>
>>52956571
at least i'm not a colossal homo
suckin' a stiffy 24/7
faggot
>>
>>52956570
>Registry shit shouldn't even be cleaned
Then why does Windows always get slower with time? I avoid bloat shit like the plague and this still happens.
>>
>>52956591
what are you doing with you're computer, nigga
it does not slow down 4 me
>>
>>52956585
you take your time to shitpost
>>
>>52956622
Why do you type like some illiterate retard? This is 4chan not niggachan.
>>
>>52956652
see
>>52956585
>>
>>52956591
I think it's in windows nature. Even office pcs need to be reimaged over few months
>>
>>52956667
clean them temp files once a month, nigga
>>
>>52956395
>This was relevant in 2006 and 2007 when SSDs were a brand new technology
I have a 80 GB Intel SSD from 2007 and used it heavily every single day.
It still works perfectly.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.