[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it more difficult to host 4chan or reddit? I would have thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: Home.jpg (47KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
Home.jpg
47KB, 275x275px
Is it more difficult to host 4chan or reddit? I would have thought 4chan because of all the media hosted directly on the site, but reddit is down every day.
>>
>>52947083

reddit has like 20x the traffic of 4chins
>>
>>52947098
More like 20x less. Reddit is text only, lower post rate.
>>
>>52947112
>lower post rate.

Would seriously doubt this
>>
>>52947112
reddit has many times more boards and on many of the larger boards there's like hundreds of posts every hour of every day and each could have as many as a thousand comments.

4chan has ~50 boards and only a handful of them are ever active 24/7.
>>
>>52947241
>>52947128

Do you meme enough?

"4chan(site domain: 4chan.org)is the most popular English-language imageboard community with over 700,000 posts per day made by roughly seven million daily visitors"

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/4chan
>>
>>52947259
The source for this is "4chan.org"

Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of reddit comments far outstrips this.
>>
>>52947259
looks like reddit has more posts per day
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/about/traffic

>>52947305
who else is going to post stats? You could check the archives but they only scrape specific boards
>>
>>52947333
Reddit has way more posts but they are all text only while 4chan hosts its own media.
>>
Reddit isn't an image board u dumb nuts. It's a text only site.

Reddit is far more popular and has way more boards, so from a traffic and bandwidth perspective, reddit. From a pure size perspective, 4ch.
>>
>>52947333
yeah ofc they gonna have more posts when everyone has a seven post circlejerk followup lol

>poster does a joke
>poster quotes and does a modified joke of that joke
>another poster quotes the quoter and do a modified modified joke
and so on
>>
What's the average image size?
>>
File: reararea.jpg (16KB, 750x58px) Image search: [Google]
reararea.jpg
16KB, 750x58px
i would think reddit is harder to host then 4chan
>>
File: supercuck.jpg (58KB, 360x420px) Image search: [Google]
supercuck.jpg
58KB, 360x420px
>>52947083
>>52947083
You have to keep in mind that reddit was created by a suicidal milquetoast fuckboy.

Hole thing is built on a deck of cards.
>>
>>52947333
Did you even read your source? It's about pageviews and uniques a day.
Now when you look at the 4chan anniversary stats you see that there's a factor 25 more pageviews than posts.
With 700,000 posts a day that makes 17.5 million pageviews a day, which is more than the 5.5 million page views per day of Reddit.

If you have actual data of the posts by all means do post.
>>
>>52947083
reddit by x1000 because the database has to be able to efficiently organize and retrieve millions of nested comments where 4chan is a small amount of boards with just threads and straight lists of comments are aren't all linked together and nested at different levels
>>
>>52947474
no I didnt read, guess I'm retarded. You're right, it only pageviews. In that case 4chan would kick the shit outta reddit
>>
>difficult
Legality-wise, 4chan would probably give reddit a run for their money. Otherwise reddit has much more traffic.
>>
>>52947388
better than spamming the same joke a gorillian times until it's a meme
>>
>>52947388
you forgot the upvote cicle jerk as people chain link the 'original'
>>
>>52947241
But reddit is normies, and we are autists. There are like 100x normies than us losers.
>>
>>52947957
upvotes are database transactions, so that adds to their traffic.
>>
>>52947998
why does /g/ always ignore the database aspects? as a database developer, it annoys me.
>>
>>52947259
reddit isn't an imageboard
>>
File: Za Crasha.png (1MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
Za Crasha.png
1MB, 5000x5000px
>>52947415
It shouldn't be that big
>>
>>52947305
In terms of text, perhaps. In terms of images, no. Reddit hosts very little content on its own servers, and IMGUR is practically Reddit's image hosting service.
>>
>>52947083
Reddit is a lot harder. It has to constantly count votes and compare the votes and vote ratio to post age and determine the position of every post and comment.
>>
>>52947734
Very good point
>>
>>52948859
seriously what's the POS that this chaika picture can crash?
>>
Alexa ranking
>plebbit 35
>4chins 887
So reddit.
>>
>>52947904
Are yoi actually fucking defending Reddit? You SERIOUSLY shouldn't be here if you use Reddit EVER
>>
What has "hosting" have to do with anything? Is someone really that retarded and thinks that some anon with a frog mask uploads a bunch of scripts to an FTP server of a shared host or something?
>>
reddit will be easier to host since it is free and open source.
4chan is impossible to host since it is proprietary.
>>
4chan is pretty damn straightforward to cache because every user gets the same content
>>
reddit is just a chan site used by cowards who can't admit they like underaged pussy
>>
>>52951193
That's bs, Alexa is based on users of their toolbar and tracking JavaScript injected by the site itself.
>>
No considering reddit don't host anything but fucking text and its overall growth has been in freefall.
>>
>>52947259
>knowyourmeme
>>
>>52952075
>not trusting decently trustworthy sources
>becoming dumb, sceptical, and ignorant
This is the choice you made.
>>
Reddit for sure.

Traffic being one thing (enormously larger than 4chinz).
But also the comment types.
Rebbit has nested comments that have to be sorted date wise and by the number of point they get.

4chan posts are simpler, there's no score system and posts are sorted by the time they were uploaded.

Pictures are not that troublesome, all there's required is large amounts of storage.
If 4chinz was poor they could just reduce maximum filesize from 3.5MB to 1MB and call it a day.
>>
>>52947083
Reddit gets more traffic as its must more normalfag than 4chan.
>>
>>52952175
>4chan
>not a normalfag site
Nice delusion there friend.

Almost all boards are related to normalfag activities, especially in the "interests" category.

The only non-normie boards are cancer containment zone like /a/.
Nowadays even /b/ and /pol/ are remniscent of /v/eddit more than anything.

It's kind of funny to see that all the memesters went either on /r9k/ (sad loner virgins) or /int/
>>
>>52947259
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4chan.org+vs+reddit.com
reddit has 270 million daily hits, 4chan only 11 million
>>
>>52947259
Reddit isn't an imageboard, dumbass
>>
>>52947343
More data does not mean more overhead

Reddit has custom subreddits and accounts and voting systems. All that information has to be cross referenced every page load. Each user sees a different page.

4chan delivers the exact same page to every person.
>>
>>52952272
I don't think Alexa is a reliable source as Reddit users would typically use the Alexa toolbar where a 4chan user wouldn't.
>>
>>52947415
Varies from board to board. Different boards have different max sizes, and allow different types of files to be posted. I'm pretty sure the max sizes are much bigger in gifs than here.
>>
>>52952027
So it's mostly tracking idiots who install toolbars, and can't into noscript?

Includes most normies, excludes most 4chan users. Probably even a goods portion of reddit users.
>>
>>52950866
None, anything below 10kx10k is a neutered version intentionally designed to not crash toasters.
>>
>>52947083
Reddit all around.
>more traffic
>content is not removed so your storage needs are always increasing
>liberals everywhere demand that changes to the codebase be prioritized by the race and gender of the contributer and not the quality of the code.
>codebase is also more complex as evident by their fuckhueg API
>Since anyone can make a subreddit you just know there's shitloads of CP posted on a daily basis to deal with.
>hopelessly dependent on imgur so if imgur goes down or became shit they can't actually do anything about it but bitch to the owner.

Opposed to 4chan
>less traffic
>dynamic content means the site is never more than a few gigabytes in size.
>code maintainers are anonymous volunteers and don't have to worry about anything but the codebase
>CP is insta b& and harder to hide
>images are hosted on static content server which probably doesn't need huge amounts of maintenance. and is under full control of the volunteers that maintain it.
>>
File: bad_time.jpg (10KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
bad_time.jpg
10KB, 222x227px
>>52947083
They are both cancerous in a technical way and therefore both a PITA to host, but I think >52947959 makes a good point.
>>
>>52947083
Reddit is more mature and more serious. Only smart and bright individuals use it, as opposed to this immature website filled with imbeciles, that's why it has less traffic. Dumb people are more rare.
>>
>>52955037
*Smart people are rarer.
>>
>>52955037
They are exactly the same, only on reddit you have to pretend to be friendly.
>>
>>52954785
>undertale shit
>inability to quote
back to redddit
>>
>>52955037
>Dumb people are more rare.
You're one of them if you really think that
>>
>>52947083
Why don't you bang out a little reddit-like and a little 4chan-like site, then load test? This is something that could easily be checked with experimentation. They won't be perfect models, obviously, but it would still be informative.
>>
>>52947333
>>52947474
That's just the traffic of one subreddit. Not all of reddit.
>>
>>52947083
Reddit is a massive site, 4chan is quite small comparatively, Reddit also archives things for years while the 4chan threads are only archived for about a week on busy boards. Reddit needs to manage things like user accounts and personal messages, there are something like 750,000 subreddits while 4chan has only like 65 boards or something.

Reddit is leagues more complex than 4chan even if there isn't much locally hosted content, the sheer traffic that reddit experiences daily would probably melt the 4chan servers into the ground.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.