[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BSD And Other Things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: OpenSSH_logo.png (28KB, 194x191px) Image search: [Google]
OpenSSH_logo.png
28KB, 194x191px
*BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, PC-BSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS...

IRC: irc.rizon.net #baot

News: http://freebsdnews.net | http://undeadly.org | http://dragonflydigest.com

Are you a Linux user wondering about why someone might choose BSD?
Give this a read: https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01

Ask questions, get answers.
>>
netbsd's pkgsrc sucks what the fuck
>make install in the mame folder
>it starts pulling in the GNU coreutils, including bash and shit
>>
File: 1454290464097.jpg (87KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1454290464097.jpg
87KB, 900x900px
>>52939259
>BSD
Literally why?
>>
>>52939293
He literally told you why faggot. learn to read.
>>
>>52939293
why linux?
>>
Ubuntu 16.04 supporting ZFS

>this kills BSD
>>
>>52939340
You can't let shit like reading comprehension, and logic get in the way of shitposting memes.
>>
File: charlotte.jpg (98KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
charlotte.jpg
98KB, 736x1104px
OpenBSD is the only *BSD worth using.
>>
>>52940225
>Using the actual definition of a security-theatre operating system
>>
>>52940196
Nigger rigging zfs into linux != zfs on bsd
>>
>>52940265
Do u have proof that openbsd is botnet?
>>
>>52940225
freebsd was engineered
linux was grown
openbsd was thrown together in an autistic fit of rage by theo de raadt
>>
>>52940354
>what are opensolaris.ko and zfs.ko

It's not like FreeBSD didn't "nigger rig" opensolaris into FreeBSD to get ZFS and dtrace support.
>>
I've used freebsd, openbsd, and even dragonflybsd on my laptop before and they're great systems. I'm currently a linuxfag, but *BSD feels so clean. I just wish they had more desktop support.
>>
>>52940448
Must be pretty shit engineers then, considering the mess that is the kernel code and the number of security vulnerabilities.

Not to mention the disastrous state their intel graphics support is. Fucking dragonflybsd has been lapping them for over a year now.
>>
>>52940399
>Get 2M in funding from DARPA
>People start asking questions about it
>Oh! I guess we will manufacture a disagreement so we can pretend to halt the funding
>>
>>52940448
FreeBSD developers don't even use FreeBSD. That says everything I need to know about it.
>>
>>52940570
I don't think there's an OS that hasn't received funding from a security agency. That proves absolutely nothing.
>>
>>52940571
This right here.

Go watch *any* BSDcon and you will see 95% of the FreeBSD devs use macbook pros. They have no faith in their own OS lmao.
>>
>>52940537
It does have plenty of desktop support, at least for what I use my computer for. They may lack drivers, though.

My dream is to have a decent hypervisor (bhyve) that could do PCI passthrough on Windows guests (soon?), so I could finally delete my Windows partition and game on virtual machines.
>>
>>52940610
Yet the other operating systems do more than just jerk off about security. The fact is that OpenBSD is only secure because there is actually very little functionality in the base install. Once you run Apache, Nginx, Mariadb etc. you are no longer using code they audit or care about. Also don't even try to compare pledge to selinux or grsecurity - it's a fucking joke.

In reality security is a lot more than squashing bugs in the base system and ignoring all 3rd party applications. You have to take into account a lot more when it comes to enterprise situations (which is where all the vital information is).
>>
>>52940458
And linux nigger rigged freebsd's nigger rigging again, only in user space. Surely an improvement.
>>
>>52940448
>freebsd
>engineered
i love the random kernel panics i get in virtual machines on a FRESH INSTALL

at least theo de raadt's aspergers is altruistic
>>
>>52940706
No, it is not in userspace - that implementation was abandoned years ago.

Furthermore both FreeBSD and the ZFS on Linux project pull from the upstream OpenZFS project.

How can you be so opinionated while knowing jack shit about this topic?
>>
>>52940777
>How can you be so opinionated while knowing jack shit about this topic?
Is this your first time on /g/?
>>
>>52940684
you clearly don't know what you're talking about

openbsd has it's own httpd in base, and it works well enough that i don't need to install apache and nginx

>inb4 you link me that allthatiswrong post
>>
Is there any actual reason why someone would use a *BSD as his desktop OS?
>>
>>52940225
I prefer OpenBSD, but FreeBSD is excellent too. If I needed a fairly complicated setup for a server or a server farm I'd go with it. For a desktop, basic server, or router I'd choose OpenBSD. For goofing off--like say watching movies-I'd take FreeBSD over it too, but really something Linux distro like Mint is better for that. If I was doing something that required or relied on high performance, again I'd go with FreeBSD.

I do think OpenBSD has a lot more potential as an OS. It's just that the devs focus on exactly what they want from it, and don't care about anything else.
>>
File: WHY_DO_NOT_USE.001.png (41KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
WHY_DO_NOT_USE.001.png
41KB, 1600x900px
>>52940998

Well, full desktop readiness isn't an attribute I'd lightheartedly give out to OpenBSD, but it's slowly catching on with chipset support.

I'm running -current and my reason: because Gnulix likes taking the systemD.

Ubloatu takes the systemD
Ache gnulix takes the systemD
Debilan does...
>>
Don't use OpenBSD, it has a backdoor in it. Use FreeBSD instead
>>
>>52940869
OpenBSD's replacement for nginix/apache is unusable for anything complex.

That is the pattern with OpenBSD, they strip shit down so it's usable at a hobbyist level, but nothing more.
>>
>>52940998
It really depends on your requirements. OpenBSD has less features but they can be expected to work well and Linux has a lot of features that can only be expected to half-work well, if that makes any sense. I like to think of it as quality versus quantity.
>>
>>52941175
yeah, just look at how stripped down pf and openssh are, wowie
>>
>>52940550
That's kind of the point of Dragonfly though. It's supposed to focus on taking advantage of modern hardware. I haven't tried it yet, but I've been meaning to. From what I've read about it, it sounds interesting, and BSD does desperately need some modernization. Hammer sounds pretty interesting too.
>>
>>52941175
If sticking to basic features of OpenBSD http is "hobbyist", I don't want to be professional.

I bet you think 50 megabytes of flavorOfTheWeek.js sounds like a good idea. Let the user guess which of the 30 domains he has to allow in noscript to read the text.
>>
>>52941175
Most of openbsd devs are network infrastructure types. It's perfectly servicable for building cgi interfaces for that type of stuff.
For heavy web apps and the like, freebsd is probably a better choice, esp since jails lets you try out a thousand different set ups at no cost and without shitting up your actual OS.
>>
>>52941502
Yeah, I don't know what the fuck he's talking about.

OpenBSD's httpd seems to have all the features you would normally need. It can serve web pages, supports TLS, can do CGI, and various other features like directory listing.

Hell, configuring it is not fucking hell unlike other web servers.
>>
>>52939259
I kind of want to throw OpenBSD on one of my spare laptops, but the one thing I don't recall being able to do in OpenBSD that works in Linux is the console framebuffer. It's been a few years though, but I recall in Linux you'd append VGA=791 (1024x768, I think) to your boot loader config.

Is this a thing in OpenBSD now?
>>
>>52942310
If you have either an Intel chip or Radeon chip, you should have a high res console by default.

The font they use looks like fucking shit though, I tried changing it by recompiling the kernel and I honest to god couldn't find a way to get the standard VGA font.
>>
>>52942337
GPU is Intel, CPU is i7 720m or something. It's an HP 2540P.
>>
>>52939259
OpenBSD
>>
>>52942337
Though for some reason there were plenty of other strange fonts, like the Sony one.

>>52942348
If it's somewhat old it should work. Keep in mind the ramdisk kernel (aka the installer) does NOT come with that on by default, possibly for compatibility reasons.
>>
>>52940570
DARPA funding wasn't the issue. That was not at all a secret. Both DARPA and the OpenBSD project publicly acknowledged that funding. Bear in mind they also lost that funding due to his outspoken views on the Iraq War, so it's not like he's bffs with DARPA.

Open source projects like OpenBSD rely on contributions from companies, universities, and yes, even governments. There's no reason to single one out for it, when all major open source projects do likewise.

The issue was that the FBI allegedly got one or more of the developers to sneak a backdoor into the OpenBSD Cryptographic Framework, sometime around the year 2000. Theo De Raadt was the one who made the allegation public to begin with. A technical consultant to the FBI (or claiming to be at least) informed him of it via email, and he almost immediately made that email public.

Since he's the one in charge of the project, that's a good indication that neither he, nor the project itself were complicit in sneaking in any backdoors, nor were they trying to hide anything. Had that been the case, he would have kept the email to himself, and we likely wouldn't be discussing the issue right now.

He responded to the allegation by calling for an audit (audits are routine in OpenBSD anyway) of the code, and encouraged others to independently audit it. To date, no evidence of any backdoors have been found. Theo himself says that he believes the FBI did attempt it, and that former members of the development were paid off, but failed to actually get it into the OpenBSD tree for whatever reason. He also said that it's possible that it ended up in a third party product instead.

Again, if he, or OpenBSD had something to hide, why would he be so open, and forthright about it, when he had no reason to bring it up at all? It seems to me that the best way to keep a secret backdoor a secret, is to not give anyone reason to think it might exist in the first place.
>>
>>52940998
if by desktop, you mean ricing the shit out of it then no
>>
>>52940571
>>52940624
>the FreeBSD developers don't use a server OS as their desktop/laptop OS

Well fuck me...
>>
>>52942605
Theo even said he didn't like the idea of receiving government funding AFAIK.

As for the FBI backdoor claims, those came completely out of nowhere by some guy who contributed to the project in the early 2000's, and there was no proof that it was really him emailing about the backdoor.

>>52942643
Except the point of FreeBSD is to be a general purpose operating system.

Kind of sad that OpenBSD has them beat on that point.
>>
is there a make localmodconfig equivalent in Net/Free/Open BSD's kernel?
>>
>>52942605
Thank you anon for finally giving an intelligent answer re: openbsd botnet allegations. Some faggot on here always posts stuff about openbsd being backdoored. Your post makes the most sense from what I've heard.
>>
Got access to a 12 core/32 GB RAM computer w/o OS it want to use for physical simulations.

I am now debating to install OpenBSD/FreeBSD or Fedora/Debian Linux, headless that is.

Why should I install either.
>>
>>52943795

If it's a headless offline computer, I'd give FreeBSD the try. Might compare the performance to OpenBSD though, and if equal or even better (don't know), I'd stick to the latter.

I'd love to have that machine of yours for myself.
>>
trying a new project out OpenBSD router or does /g/ has any other OS in mind.

@it's a project so no pfsense since that is just pre made
>>
>>52940998
If your desktop has an UltraSPARC CPU, OpenBSD is actually more mature than pretty much any Linux distro, and far more modern than the versions of Solaris that still support SPARC.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (72KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
72KB, 1000x750px
>>52944122

Would that also be true for pic related? It's a
Sun Fire v890.
>>
Thoughts on IllumOS / XstreamOS?
>>
File: 1358792705831.png (152KB, 273x411px) Image search: [Google]
1358792705831.png
152KB, 273x411px
>>52942605
>>
>>52939259
>BSD
Confirmed homosexual
>>
>>52946486
>le homosexual mememe xDddddDDDDD AM I LE FUNNI GUY YET GUICE?!?!?!?!?
>>
>>52946486
Not homosexual user not exist in /g/.
>>
>>52945988
Neat. Can you offer a rebuttal, or counter-argument, or are you limited strictly to logical fallacies and memes?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.