[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
>"A friend once asked me to watch...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 25
File: image001.jpg (124 KB, 480x320) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image001.jpg
124 KB, 480x320
>"A friend once asked me to watch a video with her that she was going to display on her computer using Netflix. I declined, saying that Netflix was such a threat to freedom that I felt uncomfortable with promoting its use in this way."

http://stallman.org/netflix.html

Why does /g/ worship a literal fucking autist
>>
Didn't VHS rental places keep client records too? Did he rent VHSs?
>>
not even a half of /g/ likes this faggot
>>
Because he's right, that's why.
>>
>>52934064
perhaps he wasn't aware of the whole "netflix and chill" meme
>>
Why would his place on the spectrum, or his standing with women, invalidate his opinions about free software?
What's not to love? He supports software in a way that's free from corporate greed and leaves something for the future. He's partly responsible for the current remainings of hacker culture.
>>
>>52934090
Exactly. His 12 year old anarchist view of the world is simply unrealistic. If he practiced half the shit he talked in every aspect of life, he'd either be dead or living in a cave
>>
>>52934115
Oh wait is he actually autistic lol
>>
>>52934106
>>52934115
/thread
>>
He puts his money where his mouth is. In this world very few people stick to their principles, and that's worthy of respect.
>>
>>52934064
he was right
>>
Maybe he just didn't want to watch some shitty video and had to come up with an excuse.
>>
>>52934090
>>52934116
What do you mean? VHS stores weren't keeping or processing those logs on non-free software, were they?
>>
>>52934064
Richard Stallman is the freest man in the universe. You just don't get it. If he uses non-free software even once, he will have fallen from the grace of TRUE GNU/freedom. Even pussy's not worth it.
>>
File: 1455107013326.gif (54 KB, 320x240) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1455107013326.gif
54 KB, 320x240
>>52934064
He's absolutely right though.
Did you not fucking read what you linked you imbecile ?
>>
File: mfw.gif (13 KB, 633x758) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
mfw.gif
13 KB, 633x758
>even rms has female friends
>she probably wanted to "neflix and chill"
>>
>>52934064
>stallman can get pussy and I can't
>>
File: neo g.gif (3 MB, 220x280) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
neo g.gif
3 MB, 220x280
>there's a man
>he lives by the rules he made himself
>he follows his own rules because they make him happy
>he inspired millions of people worldwide with his philosophy
>philosophy that doesn't hurt anyone, doesn't exclude anyone
>philosophy that didn't and won't kill anyone
>he travels the world because there are people who want to sacrifice the time to listen to what he wants to say

>/v/edditors will disdain him and call him an autist because he refuses to use corporate consumer garbage they love so much completely ignoring the fact that it violates his principles

Just face it /v/.
You're just fucking jealous of RMS.
He's a millionaire with a 60 USD laptop.
>>
>>52934127
>He puts his money where his mouth is

Except when he doesn't
>>
>>52934176
kek.
>>
>>52934190
can you give some examples
>>
>10 minutes into Netflix and chill and he calls you out on supporting nonfree software
>>
>>52934176
Why didn't he put "netflix and chill" on https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html yet?
>>
>>52934229
email him.
>>
>>52934064
>>52934176
>>
File: 585577.jpg (20 KB, 300x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
585577.jpg
20 KB, 300x360
>>52934227
>10 minutes into netflix and chill and he gives you this look
>>
File: 1344864314429.gif (412 KB, 195x130) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1344864314429.gif
412 KB, 195x130
>>52934275
This is fantastic
>>
Stallman: Flick off, Netflix!
Stallman: Out, out, damned Spotify!

My kind of guy.
>>
>>52934275
>rms is also a furfag who would probably fug a bird, of all things
YIFF IN HELL RMS
>>
>>52934275
>the bird
What? What was in the original email?
>>
>>52934306
>>52934310
https://stallman.org/articles/extreme.html
>A parrot once had sex with me. I did not recognize the act as sex until it was explained to me afterward, but being stroked on the hand by his soft belly feathers was so pleasurable that I yearn for another chance. I have a photo of that act; should I go to prison for it?
>>
>>52934338
OHMYGODITISREAL

This is real turboautism
>>
>>52934106
b-but I want to watch movies ;_;

Everyone knows he's right, but we are trapped, so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>52934282
He hand too small for his got dam head
>>
>>52934372
I think it's just that his head is so fucking huge.
>>
>>52934064
>autism
>lonely
>permavirgin

Who gives a shit about this stupid faggot?

KEK
>>
>>52934338
"I was raped by a parrot, and I enjoyed it."
rms, 2013
>>
>>52934338
This is why he needs to die. So that open source can finally move forward
>>
>>52934423
> open source
"Free software", not "open source'. Open source don't give a fuck about him.
>>
>>52934441
He keeps talking about libre and then promotes free as in free beer software.

Fucking hypocrite
>>
Explain to me why we like him? It seems whatever you do he disapproves of
>>
>>52934506
turboautism. See >>52934359
He should be institutionalised
>>
>>52934064
>using Netflix
Seems like you don't value your freedom.
https://torrentfreak.com/netflix-cracks-down-on-vpn-and-proxy-pirates-150103/
>>
>>52934064
He's right, though.
>>
>>52934064
he just wanted to go straight to chill
>>
>>52934064
He is the ylyl banana of /g/ the meme of the tech world for get him look to Travis
>>
>>52934064
Refusing to use a service because he believes it violates the FSF philosophy is not autism. Just because he doesn't want to have sex with a girl who on a regular basis goes against everything he stands for is not autism.

Jesus Christ. Yes, I fell for that bait. But holy shit can you just fuck off with this. There aren't many people like him and that's not a good thing. Having nothing to hide or not being ashamed of anything is no reason to force everybody else into the open. Turbo nerd.
>>
>>52934115
Seriously, so many former hackers from the 80s and 90s have become NSA supporting cucks.
>>
>>52934064
He believes in something and upholds his beliefs. What's wrong with that?
Don't you have any beliefs?
>>
File: kektus.jpg (35 KB, 428x287) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kektus.jpg
35 KB, 428x287
>>52934145
This.
>>
>>52934362
So download them somewhere else.
>>
>>52934723
Their beliefs are about doing things quickly. They don't have the patience to have principles and would rather trade freedom in exchange for doing things ASAP.
>>
File: file.jpg (52 KB, 639x803) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
file.jpg
52 KB, 639x803
>>52934229
>he had more triggerwords than tumblr
>>
>implying you are not all like this irl
>>
>>52934097
The half that uses Windows, posts their gayming builds, "battlestations" and speccys
>>
>>52934090
He said it's an affront to freedom, not privacy. The two issues are very often conflated, especially on this board
>>
>>52934115
He's a fucking moron who renders web pages in plain text.


He's not preserving hacker culture, he's pretty much a Luddite.
>>
File: 1452311582649.png (14 KB, 701x701) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452311582649.png
14 KB, 701x701
> Invited to watch netflix and fuck
> Declined it because netflix is proprietary software
>>
>>52936769
>he doesn't shove thousands of useless whoosh-zoomy javascript onto his website and instead puts the information in the most neutral, ready-to-actually-be-read format
>therefore he's not a hacker
>>
>>52934463
Does he promote free as in beer software which doesn't respect its users freedoms?
>>
I bet he doesn't even believe in half the shit he spouts. All that proprietary hating is bullshit, he just doesn't know what business is. Fact is he went too far with his views and is unable to crawl back without looking like an idiot. Can't wait for the day the FSF crumbles.
>>
>>52937062
>doesn't actually believe in half the shit he spouts
>source: my ass
>>
>>52937074
Glad you agree that he pulls that shit out of his ass.
>>
File: RMSgotCancer.jpg (101 KB, 510x474) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
RMSgotCancer.jpg
101 KB, 510x474
>>52934064
> You should never use DRM that you can't break

that's his opinion, man. you gotta respect it. he's just being an activist, so you don't have to.
>>
>>52934064
because i agree with him, i worship whoever the fuck i want, i don't even care if you worship faggots like steve sweaty balls ballmer or steve literally cancer jobs.
>>
>>52936511
There are Linux users that are not freetards here
>>
>>52937747
Those are even worse than the /v/ posters to be desu
>>
>>52937835
this, busybox hipsters are the worst.
>>
File: 1455156785004.jpg (2 MB, 2142x2856) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1455156785004.jpg
2 MB, 2142x2856
>>52934184
/this
>>
File: 157-5747_IMG.jpg (66 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
157-5747_IMG.jpg
66 KB, 640x480
>>52934064
can go hours without swearing

drinks water

doesnt ask you to install gentoo every 2 minutes, instead explains things, some you might already know, some are eye openers
>>
>>52938145
What an endorsement.
>>
>>52934554
their anti-proxy shit is abysmal, if you refresh the video a few times the message goes away and the movie plays fine
>>
>>52934229
>SaaS
someone get [s4s] on the line
>>
>>52934385

>I think it's just that his head is so fucking fat*

Fixed.
>>
>Every time you hear that some video is produced specifically by Netflix, it would be appropriate to feel a wave of disgust and anger. That will help you refuse to watch it, refuse to feed the monster.
do you think 'tism rages when someone mentions Making a Murdereror something?
>>
>>52938701
'tism rages when you spell murderer like that
>>
>>52938764
it's a actually a missing space between 'Murderer' and 'or', or as I've taken to calling it 'Murderer + or'
>>
File: autism pics.png (105 KB, 604x925) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
autism pics.png
105 KB, 604x925
>>52934064
>Why does /g/ worship a literal fucking autist
Because he's like us.
>>
>>52934064
because he doesn't stop where most people, out of convenience or some kind of social agreement, would (aka. autism).

you made me reply like this. fuck
>>
>>52934423
But then who will give relief to parrots then, anon?
>>
>>52938392
>I was able to work around the malware in this one specific case
>therefore it's okay if developers include malware in their products
>>
File: 21374505.jpg (183 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
21374505.jpg
183 KB, 1000x667
>>52934176
nice reddit meme
>>
File: autism.png (6 KB, 1174x83) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
autism.png
6 KB, 1174x83
>>
>>52938145
i love this guys humor
>>
do you think he refuses to pay for items when the cash register runs non-free software?
>>
>>52936511
Don't like him, don't dislike him either. I know you don't want to admit it but most linux users are not part of the free software cult. He's a nutter.
>>
>>52939627
no, he would probably refuse to pay with a credit card though, he always pays in cash if he can.
>>
>Android's practice of forcing use of Google DNS, which apparently has been designed to help companies such as Netflix do this, is collusion with DRM.

is this true? All Androids use Google DNS by default?
>>
>>52934275
wait, what was the email you sent to him?
>>
>>52939651
>inb4 some faggot posts that retarded site where every third word is written in full caps to "prove a point"
>>
>>52939651
>I don't care about freedom, I just want to stick it to the man!
>why yes Amazon you may have a look at my butthole, no terrorists in here!
>>
>>52939687

This. He only uses credit cards for airline travel because you have to use one to travel, and there is no privacy lost by using it in this case as the government already has your information.

As for "not using cash register or VHS, etc, etc because it contains free software": his stance is that he won't run non-free software on HIS hardware.

I have nothing but respect for the guy. He makes his own rules and he follows them. After decades of using wget, he just started using Ice Weasel. The world would be a much better place if more men were as principled as he is. This look-at-me and me-too mentality amongst the masses is disgusting.
>>
/r/stallmanwasright
>>
>>52939833
pro-privacy and free software are different movements (although they sometimes overlap)
>>
>>52939836
>Ice Weasel
Icecat is the one in Trisquel's repo, which is the OS he currently uses
>>
>>52939836
he actually uses lynx for everything that doesn't need X, sometimes he uses iceweasel through TOR.
https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
>>
>>52939871
sometimes overlap is an understatement but otherwise you are right.
>>
>>52939651

>nutter

He graduated from MIT and was one of the best developers in the 80's. Having firm principles hardly makes him a "nutter."

One could make a strong argument that displaying your entire personal life online for multinational corporations to profit off of is nutty.
>>
>>52939871
I was more making the joke about the possibility of terrorists in butthole while also calling him/her out because >>52937835
>>
>>52939874

see >>52939878
>>
>>52937835

>unironically supporting M$ or Apple on a technology forum
>>
>>52939833
>Assumptions by a cult member.
You can use open source and free software without conflating it with the "free software" cult.
>>
>>52939939
>I use Linux [sic,what you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux] because it's not Microsoft or Apple!
>>
>>52939939
"Linux" users that don't like Free Software are worse than /v/ posters, this has nothing to do with MS or Apple. see
>>52939956
>>52939651
>>52939832
>>52939795
>>
>>52939956
Do you use it because you care about freedom? If so I take it back and apologise. The use of the term "free software cult" lead me to think you believed free software itself is a cult.
Also
>capitalising the first letter of greentext
>ending it in a period
>>
>>52940013
It's a quote, not may may green-text
>>
>>52940032
Who were you quoting, then?
>>
>>52940051
I wasn't quoting anyone, I just wanted to say that capitalisation doesn't matter because he's not telling a greentext story, just quoting the other dude. Je didn't quote him literally, just said what he was implying
>>
>>52939895
Read his non-software opinions and the tell me if you think he's a bit off.
>>
>>52939878
holy shit he uses lynx? fuck, I thought I was the only person alive who still used it for browsing
>>
>>52939878
post your stallmantimes, rms.sexy, fsf.org and gnu.org count aswell.
>>
>>52939895
He is a nutter, and this world needs more nutters like him. He does have extreme views, and I don't completely agree with him, because my opinions on free software aren't as strong as his. But I do support him and everything he stands for
>>
>>52940098
I've used Lynx within the last year, that counts for something, right?
>>
I bet this fat fuck has a bank account. And probably gets paid via a wire instead of cash.

I bet he also uses a plane to travel around the country (which requires you to identify yourself and pay with money tracing card)... Why doesn't he travel via a bus or by car and not give up his freedoms? He says you should pick freedom over convenience, except he doesn't.
>>
>>52934064
Would he be fine with Kodi
>>
>>52940142
banks usually run free software and usually don't use DRM.
>>
>>52939992
"Linux users", their not contributors mind you just users, who fail to grasp the true meaning of freedom latch on to cults with manifesto's that twist the meaning of words to meet the political ideology of its creator. You are just a puppet, empty inside and controlled by your master.
>>
>>52940174
says the guy that posted a link where every third word is written in caps
>>
>>52940174
>cult
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
http://www.esama.ca/warning-signs-that-you-are-in-a-cult
>>
>>52940173

Banks run Windows XP. Require all kinds of identification to open a bank account. And have a nice log of all your transactions and location.

Seems they know far more about you than the NSA. Yet this autistic fat fuck uses a bank account.
>>
>>52938881
kek I think I've seen this image before, but only now I notice it's about death note.
>>
>>52940234
>banks use XP
>servers
>XP
they only have the locations of the places you use the card at, if the only place is being controlled on airports they don't have a lot of data about you.
almost fell for your shitty bait.
>>
>>52940013
Stallmans "free software" is a cult that is part of the greater free software community. He is like your grandfather, he says important things you should listen to but also says some out there things that you shouldn't.
>>
>>52940280
i liked my granddad, i also like stallman.
>>
>>52940190
I haven't posted any links. You have me confused with another poster.

>>52940205
>•do they claim to have a special corner on the truth, something no other groups has?
First one on the list. Now who claim to hold the truth on free software and freedom?
It's a cult.
>>
>>52940381
you see what you want to see
>>
>>
>>52940381
>Do they claim to have a special corner on the truth, something no other groups has?
A "special corner" on the truth would mean that you'd have to be a member of the "cult" to know it. Here you get told about freedom, and if you care, great, if not, too bad.
>Are you told to not question what is being taught, as the leadership are godly, honest, have divine authority and you must trust them?
No
>Are you discouraged from asking questions as to why members have left, and expected to accept the reasons the group leadership gives you?
No
>Do they put down other churches, groups, etc, while pointing out their faults and errors to build themselves up? do they use peoples faults and sins as examples of what to do and what not to do?
No
>inb4 open source
Development model vs. philosophy
>Are you made to feel your failures, as though your performance is not up to par to their righteous standards?
No
>Do they recommend for you to be around their people, expecting you to attend all group activities? if you do not, are you are questioned about your spirituality or dedication?
No
>Do they stop you from reading anything negative about themselves?
No
>Do they call those who fall away enemies, dogs, or cancer, even using examples from the Bible or other such materials?
No (except cancer on /g/, hardly a free software exclusive)
>Do they place and emphasis on evil and the devil, declaring that the world outside is a threat to the group?
No
>Do they defend themselves in every area?
Some do, hardly a free software exclusive
>Do they give importance to a spiritual goal, such as enlightenment, godliness, salvation, that has no real tangible way of being measured?
No
>Do they operate in humility, or seem arrogant, and make demands on you to obey, using such statements such as “real believers obey without question or if you really were a devoted follower you would do such and such"?
No

Feel free to stop reading the moment you get a shred of evidence to support your view.
>>
>>52940409
As does everyone, usually. Sometimes you have no choice and see the truth whether you want to or not.

Reading back over my comments, I think maybe you might feel I'm trying to dissuade you from your cult. I'm not.
>>
>>52940280
>He is like any person
FTFY
>>
>>52934064
The world would be a far better place if more people were like Stallman.
>>
>>52940607
He is a real human bean
FTFY
>>
>>52934127
>HIS MONEY

You made me laugh 6/10
>>
>>52940704
he should have a fair amount of money actually he earns it with speeches nowadays.
>>
>>52940704
Stallman gets paid to give speeches and donates any extra to the FSF.
>>
>>52934116
He's an exceptional autist. Believe it or not, he lives everything he talks about.
>>
>>52940545
>"special corner"
Having to redefine terms like the "free software" cult does to fit your delusions is your problem, no one else's.

And you answered dishonestly about most of the others also.

>Are you told to not question what is being taught, as the leadership are godly, honest, have divine authority and you must trust them?
Who and what are you defending and why is he infallible?
>Are you discouraged from asking..
I'm not a member of the cult, so I can't say I know about its internal culture.
>Do they put down other..
licenses, ideas, etc. Yes and in quite religious ways. "Have you accepted freedom into your project?"
>Are you made to feel your failures..
For a non-cult member its not actual failures, but perceived failures of freedom. "Don't you care about freedom?"

I could go on but it will be a waste of time, you've already drunken the proverbial cool-aid.

>Feel free to stop reading the moment you get a shred of evidence to support your view.
This statement and your fervent defense makes it clear that it is a cult. I see I've touched a nerve though which was not my intent but not my concern either.
>>
>>52941142
>Having to redefine terms like the "free software"
pretty sure they actually invented the term free software. and only english people have difficulties grasping the word.
>>
>>52941208
They stated what they wanted their definition of "free software" to be. The words "free" and "software" and the meaning of "free software" derived from its normal meaning already had a definition. Free software is used more as meaning open source software than it is used as software with this specific ideology attached.
>>
>>52934064
>Why does /g/ worship a literal fucking autist
Because /g/ is autism incarnate, and we know who our king is.
>>
>>52941341
Free software was never a real term in common usage before Stallman's movement.
>>
>>52941341
no, Open-Source software has a different definition. see
https://opensource.org/osd
free software has this definition:
A program is free software if the program's users have the four essential freedoms:

The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
>>
>>52936998
late to the party but this
>>
>>52941142
>Who and what are you defending
I'm defending people like myself against the notion that "Free software is a cult."
>and why is he infallible?
Who? Richard Stallman? Did I say that? Did I imply that? Does anyone here unironically do that?
>I'm not a member of the cult, so I can't say I know about its internal culture.
I am a member of this super-exclusive "cult" and I gave you the answer.
>licenses, ideas, etc. Yes
Licenses and ideas are not churches and people. Ideas are not exempt from criticism. Pointing out flaws doesn't make someone a member of a cult.
>"Have you accepted freedom into your project?"
Who says that? If you're referring to requests that people add free licenses to their code, that's not even remotely religious. "I have issue with your code, and won't use it because of this issue. If you fix this issue, I will be more likely to use your code."
>"Don't you care about freedom?"
Most everyone I know in the free software community understand that some pieces of hardware don't have free drivers, and others still make exceptions here and there.

>I could go on but it will be a waste of time, you've already drunken the proverbial cool-aid.
The point of arguing on the internet isn't to convince the other person they're wrong and you're right, it's to show everyone else WHY the other person is wrong and you're right.
>I see I've touched a nerve though which was not my intent but not my concern either.
>umad
>>
>>52934064
>Not using some shitty cancerous proprietary DRM service means you have autism

I don't understand, OP. Who are you trying to insult here?
>>
>These streaming dis-services are malicious technology designed to make people antisocial.

Right... Netflix is the one that's anti-social, not Stallman.

How is Netflix & Chill anti-social?
>>
>>52941532
its proprietary and features DRM, the sexy movie you are about to watch with your bae can be removed at any time whenever netflix sees fit
>>
>>52941368
>was never a real term in common usage
So it was used in uncommon usage and redefined to Stallman's meaning. It already had a meaning.

>>52941393
Your conflating what amounts to marketing definitions with their actual meaning. So the advertising has worked on you. Then you post the 4 freedoms which include restrictions. Although I think they are good restrictions they do not equate to freedom. War is not peace, and a tiny war is still not peace.
>>
>>52941741
the open-source definition actually is a marketing definition used because the open-source people around ESR thought it sounded more professional, the free software definition was made for and by the free software community.
>>
>>52941368
There was no need to distinguish software as "free software" because all of it was free. It was only after companies began locking up the software with contracts that Stallman came up with a name to distinguish free software from non-free software.
>>
>>52941457
>I'm defending people like myself against the notion that "Free software is a cult."
Your defending it because its a cult not because I've wrote its one.
>Did I say that? Did I imply that? Does anyone here unironically do that?
I can't be sure it was you for certain, but yes it has been implied unironically.
>I am a member of this super-exclusive "cult" and I gave you the answer.
You say it not a cult then say that it is ironically. But you gave a answer to a question you cant possibly know the answer to. What other answers have you made up?
>Licenses and ideas are not churches and people. Ideas are not exempt from criticism. Pointing out flaws doesn't make someone a member of a cult.
Badgering a project or a developer to make something open source on a weekly basis does, that is cult behavior.
>Who says that? If you're referring..
It was for brevity not a literally quote of the long winded appeals are continually brought back up.
>..
I have no idea why you went off on a tangent about hardware drivers.
>The point of arguing on the internet isn't to convince the other person they're wrong and you're right, it's to show everyone else WHY the other person is wrong and you're right.
The problem with this is you seem to think that someone can win.

>>I see I've touched a nerve though which was not my intent but not my concern either.
>umad
I think you are. Maybe just annoyed.
Interesting. Is it because I'm disagreeing with your cult or because you haven't achieved your purpose here?
>>
>>52942254
not him but you sound like a cunt. just wanted to let you know that.
>>
>>52942254
>Your defending it because its a cult not because I've wrote its one.
If someone reads your post and no one calls you on it, they're going to be misled by you.
>I can't be sure it was you for certain, but yes it has been implied unironically.
Morons are going to say moronic things. Can you point to serious FSF or GNU documents saying that Richard Stallman is immortal, infallible, can do no wrong, etc?
>You say it not a cult then say that it is ironically
>even with punctuation I can't tell what sarcasm is
The free software community isn't something exclusive or even unified. You're not discouraged from asking questions, debate is welcome in some places, and the fact that I'm here doing that should be proof enough. If it's a cult, I'd have to avoid engaging with you.
>Badgering a project or a developer to make something open source on a weekly basis does, that is cult behavior.
How about badgering a developer about adding a missing feature to a project? Is that cult behavior or "I want thing" behavior?
>I have no idea why you went off on a tangent about hardware drivers.
People aren't hounded for using nonfree software on their machines, as would be expected in a cult.
>The problem with this is you seem to think that someone can win.
This is going to go on for as long as we keep replying or the thread hits the bump limit and dies. At that point, hopefully there will be enough information for people lurking to make informed decisions.
>>
>>52942097
> It was only after companies began locking up the software with contracts that Stallman came up with a name to distinguish free software from non-free software.
You're saying that he came up with a term for free software after it already existed. Unless you are implying he came up with the idea of free software and that no one before him(even though you state the opposite yourself) distribution software freely.
>>
>>52942435
>not him but you sound like a cunt. just wanted to let you know that.
Ok.

>>52942509
>If someone reads your post and no one calls you on it, they're going to be misled by you.
You're concerned this conversation might impact recruitment efforts in some way. I do like that you feel the requirement to protect the cult, but say it not a cult.
>Can you point to serious FSF or GNU documents saying that Richard Stallman is immortal, infallible, can do no wrong, etc?
The key point your setting up is "serious" so you can refute anything as not serious just like you have with everyone else's comments. Its not serious because you are saying its not, and there is only one truth, which only the cult holds.

>...
You completely avoided my question and replaced it with made up nonsense. I assume because your not allowed to answer it.
>You're not discouraged from asking questions, debate is welcome in some places, and the fact that I'm here doing that should be proof enough.
>If it's a cult, I'd have to avoid engaging with you.
You are here recruiting or just defending. That is your task as you mentioned it above.
>Badgering a project or a developer to make something open source on a weekly basis does, that is cult behavior.
How about badgering a developer about adding a missing feature to a project? Is that cult behavior or "I want thing" behavior?
A feature is asked for by separate users who may be asking for similar things but not always exactly the same thing and a wildly different time and clusters. The different is being continually asked for the exact same thing at almost regular intervals.
>At that point, hopefully there will be enough information for people lurking to make informed decisions.
Yes you're here for recruiting purposes, I understand that.
>>
File: g.png (242 KB, 1276x880) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
g.png
242 KB, 1276x880
>>52934064
If you don't like it you can simply go to reddit, OP
>>
>>52940845
No he just rationalizes his dumb decisions.
He'll use a windows PC if it isn't his but he won't watch a movie on a PC that isn't his?

fucking stupid.
>>
I don't give a damn about Free Software and I use Ubuntu. Chromium is just a far superior product to Firefox and I play tons of Linux games on Steam.
>>
>>52943396
>you support free software? I heard online that that's a cult, so you must be crazy and I can disregard everything you say!

I used "serious" because https://stallman.org/saint.html is a thing. Post anything at all that proves your point, one link or as many as you want, to cite a single source of your claim, and let the people you want to "warn" read and decide for themselves.

I went back to the main question you said I made up. I am allowed to question everything about free software and the people who use it. Who would tell me not to?
>What answers have you made up?
None.

>The different is being continually asked for the exact same thing at almost regular intervals.
What are you even saying here? That people don't keep hassling developers for the same feature after being told that a certain feature isn't being added? Some do, some don't. That people hassle developers at "regular intervals?" No one has a schedule that says "3:00 - tell project X to use Y license." They want the developer to free their code, and they ask them. If they're told "no," most people drop it and go somewhere else.
>>
>>52943760
>There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels.
kek
>>
>>52941393
Like I'd let users fuck around in software I made. It's a product. I don't give you the recipe for a cheese I make either. This ideology makes zero fucking sense.
>>
>>52943877
>no recipe for cheese
good luck selling your poison in the EU then.
>>
>>52934064
I'd like to make my system completely free software running. A lot of the conveniences of my average linux distribution would go out the window and I'm not tech savvy enough. When you go the free software route, will you miss the conveniences you have now?
>>
>>52943989
depends on the things you use at the moment and what hardware you have. i personally have two non-free packages installed. (check out vrms to see what you would miss)
>>
>>52943900
Ingredients =/= recipe. Consumers can't make the same cheese with the available information. Also it was just an analogy, why would software not be a commercial product? This guy's fucked in the head and it's a miracle even a single person would listen to what he has to say. Would literally be the same when I suddenly have the ideology of free transportation. People should offer free rides, all the transportation companies want to make money and are thus immoral. Rms pays for transportation, very silly of him but I'll be sure to educate him without hurting his feelings.
>>
>>52944068
rms doesn't have anything against selling software.
read more
>>
>>52944103

Remind the Free Culture retards that have co-opted FOSS principles for their purposes about that.
>>
>>52944103
The proprietary system is a natural cause of commercialization. That being said, his points about Netflix for example just don't make sense. I pay for a streaming service. Why is it wrong for them to not let me download a copy? It's a streaming service, not a digital store. That's like being mad at the zoo for not giving you their tigers.
>>
>>52943989
The best advice I have for you is to take it one step at a time

Don't try to replace everything you use with free software because you will get frustrated

Just replace one component, learn its free counterpart as well as you knew the proprietary one and then move onto the next component
>>
>>52944166
the noncommercial CC is not related to free software, rms doesn't like it.
>>
>>52944286
Absolutely insane.

This is like making a cult around a very strict type of vegan on /ck/. Better eat what he eats or you don't know shit about food. The more I read about this guy the more I believe it's all a big hoax. This can't be real.
>>
>>52944359
it's literally only 4 things that make up free software, how is it so hard to understand for you?
>>
>>52934064
>it's bad to have principles that you adhere to

fucking millenials gtfo
>>
What about the freedom to use none free software?

Why do Stallman want to take away my right to use none free software?
>>
>>52944393
>why won't dad allow me to wear a burka my friend ali wants me to wear
>>
>>52944389
It's not hard, it's just weird.
Especially freedom 2 is retarded. I will never allow this for a commercial software product, I might as well close my business immediately. This guy doesn't live in the real world at all.
>>
>>52944414
>why wont my catholic parents let me be gay
>>
>>52944414

Wrong analogy.

GPL is like a few Muslims moving into your neighborhood, and because of that, you must convert to their religion and live under Sharia law (like GPL).

BSD gives you true freedom to reject Islam.
>>
>>52934362
>what are torrents
>>
>>52934064
>>52934115
>gives up pussy for what he knows is right
He's the least autistic of anybody.

>>52934184
this
>>
>>52944432
>sharing is bad
you can make money without even making your users pay, you can teach people how to use your software, get money from companies that want you to implement a feature, get donations, get paid by bigger projects, charge for support or similar.
>>52944485
BSD also gives you the freedom to be cucked hard by apple. also the BSD licenses still used today are free software.
>>
>>52934090
Keeping basic records isn't quite the same as keeping everything you do, then using that information to predict and manipulate you.

Stallman's primary quarrel, however, regards Netflix's DRM use, not their data mining.
>>
>>52934064
i fuckin hate netflix too
i hate that the internet pipes are getting clogged up with stupid bullshit like that
stupid HD video wasting the bandwidths
>>
>>52944596
There is nothing wrong with certain kinds of DRM though.
>>
>>52944643
name an example
>>
>>52943877
Only in the context of your analogy, which also only works in the context of a capitalist system, which is one of the primary inhibitors of scientific and technological development.
>>
>>52934146
pen and paper is not software
>>
>>52944655
People gave MS shit for the xbox one DRM. Sony did away with it. It is now possible to create two accounts on one unit and play each other's games. This is literal theft as 2 friends can share a game that only one of them has bought. In some cases you can even make money on this system.
>>
>>52943760
>you support free software? I heard online that that's a cult, so you must be crazy and I can disregard everything you say!
By pretending I'm saying the above you are just twisting the truth into lies to fit your narrative.

>I used "serious" because
You will dismiss anything that doesn't fit into your cults version of the truth.

>Post anything at all that proves your point, one link or as many as you want, to cite a single source of your claim, and let the people you want to "warn" read and decide for themselves.
I like what this guy added so I'm putting it here too.
>There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels.
There is also the testimonials, read them they were written by cult members.
>fsf.org/resources/testimonials
Stallman's himself, who else but a cult leader would eat chuck of themselves off their feet and endorse necrophilia, zoophilia, pedophilia, etc. while traveling around dressed up as a saint giving sermons to his followers.

>I went back to the main question you said I made up. I am allowed to question everything about free software and the people who use it. Who would tell me not to?
Another cult member, exactly who I don't know. You're the cult member so why don't you tell us who would?

>>What answers have you made up?
>None.
And if you look at my post you replied to you made up that answer. So very truthful. That's fine with me.

>What are you even saying here?
Users come at random times and days with random questions. There seems to be no coordinated effort for users.
Free software cultists come in large groups 30+, at the same time, asking for the same thing. You tell them no, so they tell people not to use it if its mentored. Then they come back once every 1-3 months even though you already told them no. They're free software cultists.
>>
>>52944658
Except that most scientific research is only possible with funding.
>>
>>52939149
God I hate "GNU", Stallman and everyone who says "GNU/Linux" can go burn in a fire
>>
>>52944727
>This is literal theft as 2 friends can share a game
>literal theft
theft implies that the original owner doesn't own it have it anymore
copying=theft
and DRM-free games sell very good, just look at the witcher 3
>>
>>52944781
go use busybox or *BSD then
>>
>>52944432
I find it hard to believe you don't use any open source- if not free- software.
While you might have a bias because of your business, it's hard to argue that an open source scheme is better for small tools.
>>
>>52944786
Well not theft in this definition. Not piracy either, not sure what to call this exactly.
>>
>>52944754
Funding which would be far more abundant and better delegated under a technocratic government with utilitarian motivation.
>>
>>52944812
sure as hell not "literal theft" at least.
>>
>>52944833
Undoubtedly, but that's for comics.
We will never have that.

>>52944811
Not saying I don't use open source oe free software. I just think the fsf is far too extreme and looks at software the wrong way. You can make free software but you should let me make closed software as well. Those 4 freedoms work for some types of software, they don't for others. Something like the Adobe suite being proprietary is a good thing.
>>
>>52944905
>Adobe being proprietary and platform restricted is a good thing
>monopolies are a good thing
>Creative Cloud is a good thing
you couldn't have chosen a worse example.
>>
>>52944905
Well, how are they not letting you make closed software?
They just don't allow you to use free software to make closed source software.

Apart from that I don't see anything good in unfree software existing.
>>
>>52944745
>By pretending
If someone reads "Free software is a cult" without an opposing "Free software is not a cult," they tend to believe it and will view people who use free software as cult members.

>There is no system but GNU,and Linux is one of its kernels.
Right from the page I linked. The blatantly-not-serious page I wanted to exclude, because I knew you would post it as though it were serious.

>who else but a cult leader would eat chunks of themselves off their feet and endorse necrophilia, zoophilia, pedophilia, etc.
Someone imperfect and fallible, like every other person on the planet.

>why don't you tell us who would?
No one.

>you made up that answer
>>Are you discouraged from asking questions about why members have left, and are expected to accept the reasons the group leadership have given you?
No, I am not discouraged from asking questions about why people have stopped using free software, and there's not even any leadership to tell me why they've stopped.

>Free software cultists come in large groups 30+, at the same time, asking for the same thing
I've never seen that happen.
>You tell them no, so they tell people not to use it
"Hey, guy who cares about freedom, this software doesn't respect your freedom, so you might consider using something else if you want."
>Then they come back once every 1-3 months even though you already told them no.
They're wasting their time, but continuing to ask someone for something isn't cultish and is done by a lot of stupid people.
>>
>>52944727
>2 friends can share a game
>hey senpai can I come over and play X
>didn't pay for X
>still played X
Literal theft.
>>
>>52944964
CC is a good thing. I pay for a service that in my experience is superior to free alternatives (and they're not even alternatives).

>>52944966
I really don't think being able to change code and share it works for all kinds if software. I just don't see it. At that point it is no longer a commercial product.
>>
>>52944905
What about the Adobe suite makes it any less susceptible to the advantages of liberation? Art and design houses being able to hire developers to tailor the software to their working environment isn't a good thing? The knowledge of the procedures behind the tools being used derive more complex ones, just as in mathematics (because lets not forget, computer science and signal processing *is* applied mathematics), isn't grossly advantageous?
>>
>>52945076
It's more of a problem for online coop games. You're able to play them at the same time. I bought a Destiny ps4 pack. Returned the game, gameshare the digital version. Made ten bucks. That's fucked up.
>>
>>52945096
the Creative Cloud is a potential security risk for big companies networks. A lot of people preferred the old model adobe used and even that was flawed as you basically paid for updates.
>>52945148
wow just like splitscreen gaming, totally fucked up
>>
>>52945127
Let me put it this way. This system because of money, and you can see and experience that proprietary software is just more evolved because of it. Free software is good as ideology, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it can work. Not in contemporary society or later ones for that matter.
>>
>>52945207
Which is not in most games anymore and hence not part of the product. If I was a developer of video games I wouldn't be happy with this system at all. If everyone knew about it I'd sell half the games.
>>
>>52945217
>I just don't think it can work.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the cliche example at this point, but its company is a billion dollar one. RHEL is a commercial, free software product.
It doesn't matter if you have to buy it from them or not. They make and spend millions by and on maintaining RHEL.
>>
>>52944745
>endorse necrophilia, zoophilia, pedophilia, etc.
Yes, Stallman is a true liberal who is, rather unfortunately, too autistic to enact self-censorship. His beliefs are based on the true definitions of the terms, which merely refer to the attractions, not engaging in the associated acts. He does not endorse these, but instead suggests them being boycotted. This is with the exception of necrophilic intercourse which is justified by there being nothing experienced by the subject of said deed (however conceptually disgusting it may be). I do believe this has only been mentioned where such a thing has arisen with prior consent via a (socially infeasible) donation system.
>>
>>52945326
Would still call for a transformation in thinking for most of society though. Maybe RMS should run for president.
>>
>>52945495
He'd have all of /g/'s vote, even the winbabbies and anime haters
>>
>>52934064

He has a principles and stands by them.

That's not autism, retard.
>>
File: 1432641783329.png (50 KB, 800x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1432641783329.png
50 KB, 800x400
>neo/g/ would forsake their ideals for a chance at sex
>being a literal slave to pussy


disgusting...
>>
>>52945550
having a strong ethical code is a very common trait for those with aspergers, just putting it out there family.
>>
>>52940605
>I do not post on 4chan. I have nothing against it, and I have occasionally answered questions for interviews for 4chan, but any posting there that says it is by me is by an impostor.

/g/ btfo
>>
>>52945594

Okay, so Goku was an autist?
>>
>>52945700
Obviously
>>
"hacker culture" is embarrassing insular shit.

Seriously, have you ever read the 'Hacker Jargon file'? It's the dumbest slang you can imagine and we're better off for losing it
>>
>>52934064
>he's not le cosunmercuck like me that eats anything up from big media without any thought or principles
>he must be autistic
>>
ITT: GNU cult in full disinformation mode.
>>
>>52945046
>If someone reads "Free software is a cult" without an opposing "Free software is not a cult," they tend to believe it and will view people who use free software as cult members.
And it's your duty to protect the image of the cult.

>Right from the page I linked. The blatantly-not-serious page I wanted to exclude, because I knew you would post it as though it were serious.
I posted it because someone else already had, and because its true.

>Someone imperfect and fallible, like every other person on the planet.
Not like every person, but rather like every other cult leader on the planet. His followers worship him, and are tasked with spreading his teachings.

>>why don't you tell us who would?
>No one.
So now you admit to being a cult member.

..a question and answer you made up to fit the cults narrative has been removed..

>I've never seen that happen.
So its must not be true if you the holder of the one truth says it is. Or I could use the actual truth, but your not interested in that.
>They're wasting their time, but continuing to ask someone for something isn't cultish and is done by a lot of stupid people.
When a group of cult members ask in unison it is. It actually quite reminds me of the social justice tactics I've seen.
>>
>>52945367
>true liberal
A true liberal, would be liberal in everything, he is not. "true liberal" as defined by the cult, with restrictions.
>>
>>52934184
your words remind me that I should stop posting here, even ironically
thank you
>>
>>52940118
>rms.sexy
needs new pictures, dammit
>>
If you think about it the tactics used by the free software cult are the same tactics used by social justice warriors. I wonder if its a offshoot or just a admirer.
>>
FOSS will rule the future
>>
>>52934064
Wow you're retarded
>>
>>52939013
Netflix iirc is literally only doing the anti-proxy shit because the copyright industry is forcing them.

They have no real business reason to block proxies other than that """"""content owners""""""" don't like people watching content in ways that they don't approve.

They will block public proxies so they can say they tried, and that'll be the end of it. They're doing a bad job because they only need to try hard enough to claim they actually wanted to.
>>
File: 1452429352869.png (470 KB, 1663x1568) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452429352869.png
470 KB, 1663x1568
>>52936511
I use Windows because of gay men and still like him.
>>
He's an autist but you have to admire that he lives his principles
>>
>>52934116
I don't know him personally, but I know anarchists that live the stuff they preach, and they don't live in caves.

You need to leave your shithole "free" country and see the world anon
>>
Why are you guys making fun of him? He's just a normal, very determined person.
You guys think his mouth isn't watering for a smartphone right now? He's probably thinking "oh man smartphone seem so cool I'd love to use one but they're against my principals so I have to endure"
I have nothing but respect for this man, not many people can enforce this amount of discipline in their lives.
>>
>>52940142
>I bet this fat fuck has a bank account. And probably gets paid via a wire instead of cash.

Money that was developed and printed on proprietary software, thus making his money useless
>>
>>52936998
this is why i miss circa 90's internet.
especially gopher
>>
When are they switching to GNU Hurd?
>>
>>52951032
Cards are made using proprietary MACHINES and software and the machines you swipe them in use windows and proprietary parts...by his own words he's not allowed to use money... so he's a hypocrite and a fucking liar
>>
>>52944432
>Especially freedom 2 is retarded. I will never allow this for a commercial software product, I might as well close my business immediately. This guy doesn't live in the real world at all.
Well, might as well close down Google and Red Hat
>>52942254
>I can't be sure it was you for certain, but yes it has been implied unironically.
Stallman has admitted being wrong more than once, and even the community has called it out on him, to the point on abandoning him on his ideas
See the HURD kernel
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 25
Thread DB ID: 516053



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.