[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 38

File: 1454795668804.jpg (141KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1454795668804.jpg
141KB, 1024x768px
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
Ya'll nigga gonna post questions or what
>>
>>52909930
How do i make this work?
It dosent go to the "done" folder for output
#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p done
for file in *
do
ffmpeg -i "$file" -c:a copy -vf subtitles="$file" "$file" ./done/"$file"
done
>>
When first starting to learn programming is it beneficial to use Emacs/Vim or is that something better learned once I've got a grasp of the language/programming in general?
>>
Rebooted my PC today and it won't start up normally. I got it working in safe mode but when booting normally it just freezes on a black screen after the initial start up graphic shows.

What are the most likely causes of this? I'm backing up my data in safe mode in case I have to reformat, but obviously I'd rather avoid that.
>>
File: 1455146984323.jpg (336KB, 1695x831px) Image search: [Google]
1455146984323.jpg
336KB, 1695x831px
>>52907834
Bump
>>
>>52910067
>subtitles="$file" "$file" ./done/"$file"
retard
>>
>>52910067
Have you test your command for one file?
>>
>>52910282
The command its self works on a single file.
Naming the last $file output,mkv it works fine.
I've got about 800 files i need to process so i needed them to be their original filename.
>>
Best torrent client?
>>
>>52910361
deluge
transmission
>>
>>52910370
Gonna give transmission a shot. Thanks.
>>
>>52910361
Honestly they all have problems. Deluge is horribly resource intensive. Transmission has a terrible UI. qBitorrent is just janky as fuck.
>>
>>52910356
Show me a working command for one file, and I will fix your shell script.
>>
>>52910428
ffmpeg -i 1.mkv -c:a copy -vf subtitles=1.mkv output.mkv
>>
$3k budget. Need 2 monitors. Don't play fps on a high enough level to give a fuck about 144hz.

Thoughts?
>>
>>52910457
#!/bin/sh

mkdir -p done
for file in *
do
ffmpeg -i "$file" -c:a copy -vf "subtitles=$file" "done/$file"
done
>>
The fan on my CM Hyper 212 is starting to buzz. It doesn't do it all the time, and only after my PC has been on for a while. Bearings starting to go?
>>
>>52910482
Of course, if there is space in file name it will fail.
>>
Is there any way to use my phone as a wireless adapter over usb?
It's rooted and everything so I can use the basic ip command to do it if I need to
>>
>>52910494
Full alphanumeric special characters non unicode
>>
>>52910508
It can be a wireless tether
>>
>>52910528
I'm trying to connect something that doesn't have wifi to my router though, not through 4G.
>>
Not even sure if this is where to put this. Sorry if it isn't.
T draw() {
int rando;
srand(time(0));
rando = rand() % numObject;
while (contents[rando] == NULL) {
rando = rand() % numObject;
}
T item = contents[rando];
T replace = contents[numObject];
contents[rando] = replace;
contents[numObject] = NULL;
numObject--;

return item;
}

New at C++, maybe I'm just retarded. I'm basically trying to pick a random item from an array, remove it, and replace the empty hole with the last item in the array. It seems to draw alright but at the same time when I later use a print method it still shows an empty spot where the element used to be. For instance, if I put a, b, b, and c in the bag, it draws the first b but then the print is [a, b, ].
>>
>>52910588
>rando = rand() % numObject;
You're introducing a bias.
>>
File: Vraptor600gb4.jpg (514KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Vraptor600gb4.jpg
514KB, 1280x1024px
I have a 150gb velociraptor and a 300gb velociraptor.

Could I make 3 150gb partitions and raid them so I don't lose a third of my hdd capacity?
So instead of 300+150=300
I want 150+150+150=450
I understand it'll still perform like 2 drives in raid 0, not 3 drives, but that's not as important to me, i just don't want to lose 150gb.
>>
>>52910588
>empty spot where the element used to be
That's pretty much expected. Arrays don't resize.
>>
Out of nowhere i cant load youtube, google or captchas on any of my devices all connected to the same network
I get the connection timed out error
I reset the router twice and still nothing
No ISP would be blocking google
Any ideas?
>>
>>52910634
Partions are not raided.
>>
>>52910624
If I understand you correctly, I'm trying to find an integer between 0 and numObjects, the number of items in the array. This did help me realize that the while loop is pointless though because it'll always grab a number in bounds like this.
>>52910653
Yeah and I expect mine to have empty spaces, I was just trying to copy the last item to the empty spot and then remove the original last item. My example might have been bad but basically what I want to do is:
Array has [a, b, b, c], Draws "a", Array should now be [c, b, b].
It doesn't need to be ordered, but I was trying to not have gaps of no items.
>>
>>52910674
i know.
But can I somehow make each partition look like a separate hdd and do software raid?
>>
>>52910224
I know that bumping is bad, but can I get some help with this? I'm getting desperate.
>>
>>52910729
Use a data structure capable of resizing, or work around Array's limitations by copying elements to a new Array of desired size.
>>
>>52910742
That's not how raid works
>>
>>52910745
Try doing a repair installation of windows and running malwarebytes in safe mode
>>
>>52910745
Check your system log for errors.
"going black" is vague and a source of alot of problems
>>
>>52910762
Then how does raid work?
>>
What's the best monitor type for reading?
>>
Does /g/ have some secret interview tips?
>>
File: 1402379892111.jpg (556KB, 736x3549px) Image search: [Google]
1402379892111.jpg
556KB, 736x3549px
>>52910798
>>
>>52910783
You take multiple physical hard drives and have them act as one disk. Most forms of raid of come with redundancy and parity.

Making 3 partions on a single hard drive, is not a raid.You can make logical partions but thats about it
>>
Posted in last thread, but never got a response. Is it too stupid?

So my dad got fed up with AT&T and stopped paying them before his contract expired, and switched to a burner. He gave me the galaxy s5 he bought from AT&T and I want to unlock it and put it on a Boost mobile prepaid plan. Is there a way to unlock it without having to pay one of these sketchy online websites? Looking at AT&Ts conditions, they won't unlock it for me since he never paid his last bill and owes them more than the phone is worth.
It's a pretty good phone, and I'm poor as fuck so I don't want to have to buy a cheap ass phone from Boost.
>>
>>52910935
Get a contract under your own name with AT&T
>>
>>52910840
3 partitions on 2 hard drives.
You misread my post.
>>
>>52910758
I'm fucking retarded I was replacing it with the item found at contents[numObject] but that's a null because the last real item is at numObject-1;

Jesus fucking christ kill me.
>>
File: 1403464998752.jpg (151KB, 806x605px) Image search: [Google]
1403464998752.jpg
151KB, 806x605px
Can anyone provide a more in-depth explanation to why Denuvo DRM is difficult or impossible to crack, or how it works? Or a link to an article or something, I guess.

/v/ is pretty much satisfied with the explanation "it's really really good encryption"
>>
>>52910634
NIgga how are you losing 150gb?

>>>hd1
>>1 partition
>150gb

>>>hd2
>1 partition
>300gb

Setup a logical drive and be done with it
>>
>>52911071
It is exceptionally well made encryption. And if you are doubting the chinese then thats an issue. You can find your own articles on google, you seem to know enough relevant keywords.
>>
>>52910995
No, I won't do that. I won't sign up for a contract like that, and I may have trouble paying sometimes and would rather not be subject to bullshit fees.
I also live in an very rural area and don't have good options for internet, so I normally use my phone to tether. Boost is the only place with an unlimited data plan that is in my area. All of AT&T's data plans are extortionate.
>>
>>52911137
>IM POOR
>I CANT AFFORD A PHONE
>HOW CAN I AFFORD A PHONE WITH THIS PHONE I HAVE THAT I DONT WANT TO PAY FOR
>WAAAAA

Get a cheap tracphone or some shit thats made for poor people who cant maintain a plan
>>
>>52911088
I want to set them up in raid 0 so it's 1 partition. That would mean it would read the 300gb hard drive as a 150gb because of the raid 0.
I wanted to know if I could somehow do the raid by splitting one hard drive in 2 so it becomes a 450gb raid partition.
>>
>>52911178
You dont know shit about raid.
You are not losing anything
Do what i told you.
There isnt anything else to do.
Partitions DO NOT RAID.
>>
>>52911166
Why should I pay for it, it's already been paid for? I'm not going to rise to your poorfag bait. You didn't make sense. Why are you getting angry about me not wanting to pay for a contract when a prepaid plan is more cost efficient?
>>
I'm spending enough time reading books on my pc that I'm considering buying a ebook reader. Is there any particular ebook reader that's more piracy friendly than others? Basically I want a device I can transfer all my books to (mostly .pdf) and read them someplace more comfortable than hunched over my monitor for hours on end.
>>
Is there a GUI for waifu2x? also is there a program similar to it with a GUI?
>>
>>52910482
Having gotten to where i can use the script.It is not outputting to the "done" folder.
>>
>>52911300
>has normal phone
>wants to use normal phone on prepaid
>dosent work that way
Sell the s5 and get a prepaid phone.
You cannot have it unlocked.
>>
>>52911384
Not really. No ebook reader is good with pdf for a start. Kindles are annoying because they only support the amazon ebook format, but I end up running everything I read through Calibre first anyway, to fix formatting.
>>
Asynchronous calls fucking suck. I don't get why I would ever need or want this shit over threading.

I'm trying to work with the
asyncio
module in python 3.5 and getting nowhere, does anyone know of a good tutorial?
>>
File: asynchronus-programming.webm (298KB, 392x214px) Image search: [Google]
asynchronus-programming.webm
298KB, 392x214px
>>52911300
>it's already been paid for
It hasn't been paid for, if you understand the contract.

>>52911783
I can't help you, but have this shitty video.
>>
What is the moat accurate and portable (Windows and Linux) way of implementing timers in C++?
>>
>>52911986
>amd drivers
>>
Just got tasker....now what?
>>
What gpu should I get to play current games at max in fhd?
>>
Why?
>>
File: Aqua1.png (228KB, 640x483px) Image search: [Google]
Aqua1.png
228KB, 640x483px
Should i trade my faggy gaming laptop for this /g/?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/sys/5426975933.html

My listing is https://racine.craigslist.org/sys/5421987451.html
>>
File: stats.jpg (80KB, 741x711px) Image search: [Google]
stats.jpg
80KB, 741x711px
Seems my processor is comparably worse than everything else.

Is that what I should focus on upgrading next and if so, which one would you recommend?

I'm aware of logical increments, I used it to build my PC about a year ago on a tight budget.

I can play Witcher 3 on high settings so I'm not too disappointed in my current performance but I'd like to have a three screen monitor setup soon.
>>
File: crt.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
crt.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Got this CRT for 35$ new in the plastic (Viewsonic p220f)

Only problem is that one side is straight and the other has a slight curve

Does anyone have any insight on how to remedy this? I haven't had too much luck with the calibration controls.

Thank you for your time
>>
>>52910361
I like ktorrent, it's like utorrent
>>
>>52913173
crap...
utorrent 2, when utorrent was good.
>>
Illustrator will not let me save as .png. When I try to switch to RGB, it says "the chosen color mode is different from the color space defined by the Document Profile. Panel content may not match new color mode." And then it still doesn't let me save as .png. How can I make it default to RGB?
>>
File: 1454871244538_0.jpg (172KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1454871244538_0.jpg
172KB, 1024x768px
>>52912687
>256MB SSD
>>
>>52913041
Multiple screens won't be hampered by your processor, it relies on the gpu. You might run into problems if you want to play games etc. on multiple monitors though, that can push your whole system really hard.
>>
So what's this I keep reading about DDR3 fucking up Skylake processors?
>>
How important is VRAM in a gpu?
i mean the 390 has 8gb but 970s are benchmarking higher at 3.5gb
>>
Online flash game sponsorships are a real thing... right?

I told my buddy I was interested in picking up Flash and making some little web games for a little money on the side, and he swore up and down that the whole thing was a scam and even the most reputable sites (ArmorGames, Kongregate, etc.) would never actually pay you a thousand dollars like they say on their sponsorship page. I find that hard to believe because of the size of the communities, but I'd like more info.

Opinions? Anyone actually done it before?
>>
>>52910178
That entirely depends on your preference. Emacs and Vim are about typing efficiency, they have nothing to do with programming. I can't speak for Emacs, but I can say that for the first week or two you'll hate the fuck out of Vim. Afterwards, though, your typing and editing speed will increase noticeably. Only do it if you really, really like keyboard navigation and hate cursors. I recommend gVim, command-line Vim is for elitist faggots.

Just make sure to push yourself through the learning stage before you make a final decision about Vim.
>>
Fastest way to save a page in a pdf file without going through print spooler because the spooler for some reason hangs whenever I do this.
>>
I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, and I want to install XPrivacy on it.

What rom can I install which supports xprivacy, or, if there are none available, what app can I install on a supported rom which will give me similar features?
>>
I have been trying to introduce my 5 year old to programming.

Started off with the Lightbot apps for android which he has played through a couple times, and am now thinking about starting him on Scratch.

Any recommendations for apps which teach basic programming methods to kids?
>>
can I upgrade to windows 10 with daz loaded windows 7?
>>
Sorry anon, I was typing a response then the thread 404'd. I hope this finds you.

>>52914148
desu I didn't really know what I was doing. I'm used to gnu systems. Hardware wise, everything seemed to work. I started setting it up and then realized that what I wanted to do with it would be significantly easier with xubuntu. So I installed xubuntu and called it a day.

The one thing I disliked about it was that the touch screen needs proprietary drivers (that are super out of date) because the touch screen hardware is like 30 years old and that it emulates mouse input instead of touch input. The upside was that it literally just worked with everything, but it meant that touch gestures were nonexistent.

It's pretty slow by modern standards and if you swap the HDD, be careful to make sure the ribbon cable is properly insulated. It took me like two weeks to figure out that the HDD cable was causing mouse interference and parts for this thing are not easy to come by nor are they cheap.

Also, I never got the 3G card to work (maybe because it was cingular? idk), nor either camera. It may have just been my device or it may have been the fact that those things just don't work outside XP.
>>
>>52914204
Most likely, if you pass this then 100%
https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate
>>
>>52914204
Why don't you try it and let us know?

I've done it twice but on the first machine, I immediately formatted it since I wanted linux instead and the other machine already had a legit upgrade key from a non pirated windows 7. Both were activated.

>>52913933
You need to fix the problem, not bandaid it.

>>52913797
Depends entirely on how much you have on the screen(s) at a time. Higher resolution (textures and screen resolution) usually requires more ram.
>>
I have a table "Borrowing" with fields "bdate" and "ddate" (borrow-date, due-date).
I set the "bdate" with SET DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;

Now I want to set the "ddate" to be "bdate" + 1 MONTH/30 DAY. What exactly is the syntax ?
ALTER TABLE "Borrowing" ALTER COLUMN "ddate" SET DEFAULT DATE_ADD(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, INTERVAL 30 DAY);

=
2: Wrong data type or data too long in DEFAULT clause: DATE_ADD in statement [ALTER TABLE "Borrowing" ALTER COLUMN "ddate" SET DEFAULT DATE_ADD]
>>
>>52911011

A RAID is a physical array of disks, that forms a single logical disk.

Partitioning is just logically separating a disk.

You can't form a RAID out of logical partitions, it's not a RAIP.
>>
>>52914390
Uhhh yes you can? It doesn't make sense to RAID partitions that are on the same disk, but you could do it with software raid.
>>
>>52914204
yeah m$ wants as many people on 10 as possible pirate or not
>>
>>52911011
>>52914390
It's not impossible to create something that will work like RAID out of logical partitions. But none of existing software or hardware solutions that I know of allow to do it.
>>
>>52914390
>You can't form a RAID out of logical partitions
yes you can, actually
>>
>>52914431
any software raid system on linux can do it (zfs/mdadm/btrfs/lvm)
>>
>>52914267
>You need to fix the problem, not bandaid it.
I would if I knew where to start only. I have Adobe Reader 10, it seems to be fine if I change the pdf settings to "lowest filesize possible" but I can't be arsed to do that everything I want to save something because I save a lot of different stuff at the same time and I need no downtime. From my guess is it's conflicting with my company's program which also used to save files as pdf.
>>
>>52914390
Looks like your knowledge just got raip-ed.
>>
>>52914423
>>52914434
>>52914442

Ok I stand corrected. But what's the use case?
>>
>>52914462
>Adobe Reader 10
Well, that's probably your problem. If it's a company computer then submit a ticket to IT to fix. If they don't fix it or say there is nothing to fix, then it is not your problem. If it's your personal computer then you can start by updating your software.

But also, why not just use your company's program instead?
>>
>>52914493
it's actually common practice to create a software raid out of partitions

the basic use case is so the disk/partition can be recognized as such by other software, that is, the disk won't appear unformatted, and the partition can be of an appropriate type

here's one my raid disks for example (GPT partition table printout)
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                 Flags
5 1049kB 2097kB 1049kB BIOS boot partition bios_grub
1 2097kB 2000GB 2000GB Linux RAID raid
>>
>>52914493
Something like >>52910634?

I wouldn't do it personally because I only want some data to die when HDD dies, but he wants to, that's a use case.
>>
>>52914493
I can't think of a use case for raiding partitions on the same disk, but you could for example only raid half the disk with another, and have the other half unraided.
>>
>>52914523
It prints different stuff, I can't say because it's related to finance.

I think it's somewhat related to Firefox and it's forks, I tried using Chrome and IE and it works fine, I can't just switch because of addons, though the addons doesn't seem to be the problem since it stays the same whether I run it with them on or not.
>>
File: 1445301645619.jpg (677KB, 996x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1445301645619.jpg
677KB, 996x1500px
why the fuck can't I ever make a ipsec gre tunnel that works, they'll ping but never update eigrp
>>
File: 20160211_002350-min.jpg (1MB, 2984x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20160211_002350-min.jpg
1MB, 2984x5312px
This is the first time i built a computer and i need to know where do my fans go? on the bottom the i believe my exhaust is facing up so cold air is coming in from this fan, heat rises so that means i need an exhaust at the top don't I? However my liquid cooling fans are there so doesn't that mean heat is going to it? isn't that bad for my processor?

Main Question
>Where my fans go
>I think i put my ram in wrong spots? i lost manual...

>pic related, its my scrub pc
>sorry if scrub build make u cringe
>>
Can anyone recommend a Good "WEBM" player app for the IPhone 4's? I have "VLN" and most of my vids are to fucked up to watch. Please HALP!!! I know the isn't the best place to ask but I have got no answers any where else...
>>
>>52914664
Correction I have "VLC"
>>
Does Mediafire Pro (the $5/month plan) allow you to distribute files to as many people as you like without anything getting in the way? Legal stuff of course. I'm trying to figure out the most accessible way to make large files available for download and torrents are a bit unfamiliar or inconvenient to some people who maybe aren't into computers.

Mega's interface is too obnoxious at this point and Mediafire Pro would allow me to direct link, apparently.
>>
>>52914597
Perhaps you need to reevaluate how you use the computer then. Adobe Reader does not allow you to print to PDF. Acrobat does. And if you have acrobat then you can just edit out all of the other pages in the PDF anyway. Or you can just copy paste the relevant parts to a word document.

Why are you opening PDFs in your internet browser?

Also, "it's" is a contraction of the words "it" and "is". The possessive from of "it" is "its".
>>
im on debian 8 and need to encrypt some files, what are my options?
ideally, i want to be able to mount/unmount the encrypted directory/partition during runtime without having to reboot or anything like that
>>
>>52909930
So I am doing a computer science degree in 20 days and I was wondering what is the best decision for majors:

>Comp science with
Software design and software development majors

or

>Comp science with
cybersecuirty and software development majors

Which one would be best for employment.

The cyber major teaches you forensics and anti-hacking skills while the other option is a full programming education where you learn multiple languages and then all of the software development education.

What is best?
I like anti hacking but I want to program security software. Programming is not present in the cybersecurity major so would doing option 1 be best if that was the goal?
>>
>>52914726
Debian 8 has all encryption options.

You can use terminal to encrypt to SHA and md5/4.

Depends on what you need. As for mounting, you will need to have it placed into the "/etc/init/init.d or /etc/fstab files to auto mount.

You need to have the key placed into the file for auto mounting.
>>
Now that cock.li is dead, where do I get funny email domains for free?
>>
>>52914799
Well it is simple.

You get em from /b/.

You could also get em from a paid job. I know niggers of /g/ are not sure what a job is and so perhaps googling such thing is smart.
>>
File: deutsch.jpg (119KB, 700x749px) Image search: [Google]
deutsch.jpg
119KB, 700x749px
>>52914353
pls
>>
>>52914680
Get a synology NAS with two 2TB HDD's for 200$

Raid 0 for 4TB total storage
RAID 1 for 2TB redundant

Distrubute any files you want.

You can even create users/passwords for sensitive documents, as well as host your own website and email server on it.
>>
So I recently upgraded from AM2 system to Z97 and it turns out modern bioses can't properly recognize like half my usb devices including ultranav keyboards and esata hot swap multiplier dock is a fucking mysterious lost technology now.

Should I $250 for i7-950, the last top tier motherboard that actually supports all my devices, some spare ram and shit gpu and a 256GB ssd in unknown condition? Or should I wipe the dust off my AM2 Phenom and wait for Zen?
>>
>>52909930
I'm looking for the name of some desktop icons that I remember being all black. They had a light and dark version I am pretty sure. They are pretty popular I think.
>>
>need pc part on cheap
>craigslist
>they're all chock full of faggoty ass LED lights

How the fuck am I supposed to sleep when my PC case is lit up like a Mexican whorehouse?
>>
Is there a way to get the Unicode 8 emoji working on Linux? ttf-ancient-fonts doesn't seem to have them and I have no idea if Android emoji fonts work.
>>
>>52915150
Besides the higher upfront cost of $200, I'd have to run it off my own internet connection which only has 20 megabits up, which I need to use myself sometimes. That, or I could send it somewhere in which case I'd pay a decent bit of money for them to store it there which kind of defeats the purpose of buying it.

I don't need a massive amount of storage space, but I do need to allow a decent number of people to download things. So it's more bandwidth intensive than anything. If this was just a local thing, that would make more sense. I do like the idea of having full control, but it's overkill for this purpose.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vbHB8d
is this good enough for 1080p gaming?
pls respond.
>>
is it possible to make a live osx usb like you can with linux in windows?
>>
Anybody with linux kernel knowledge here?
I was trying to understand what everything here does
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/include/asm/spinlock.h
But i don't really get how this is supposed to be atomic, wfe() will keep the cpu for himself until sev() but is that really what causes the atomicity?
Also why is there any need for memory barriers?

Thanks in advance
>>
File: somethinghappend.jpg (6KB, 212x112px) Image search: [Google]
somethinghappend.jpg
6KB, 212x112px
#!/bin/bash

chk=$( rfkill list | sed -n '5{p;q}' | cut -c 16-17 )

if ( $chk = "on" ); then

rfkill unblock wifi

else

notify-send 'WiFi ready'

fi

wat do
>>
File: CP_YdTYUsAAaQqp.jpg (25KB, 258x280px) Image search: [Google]
CP_YdTYUsAAaQqp.jpg
25KB, 258x280px
So right now i have a radeon r7 260 and a intel pentium g3258. I Just bought a r9 390, and can't get my cpu for another month. How much performance will i be losing without a decent CPU to keep up with this joint.
>>
Where does /g/ get its cheap and reliable USB flash drives?
>>
>>52909930
I just started learning C and I'm trying to use a loop to print out a table for a quadratic function.
h(t) = -4.9t^2 + 24t + 10
Is there a way to use negative non-integer values?
>>
>>52916114
Go to your local electro market buy a cheap one.
A $10 one will be enough as long as it's USB 3.0 compatible and for things of that cost it's not worth to pay the $8 shipping cost that most online stores have.
>>
>>52916057

Quite a lot, because it only has two cores
>>
>>52916216
Thanks senpai. I thought so, just wanted to confirm it with someone who likely knows more.
>>
File: 81325910.jpg (140KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
81325910.jpg
140KB, 800x800px
Is there a filter/plugin to make foobar2000 sound like it's being played through a radio?
>>
File: MANLET WOLF.gif (218KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
MANLET WOLF.gif
218KB, 800x450px
>>52909930
why is /g/ the same repetitive regurgitated shit everyday?
>>
File: tech.jpg (573KB, 1928x1062px) Image search: [Google]
tech.jpg
573KB, 1928x1062px
How do I permamently get rid of these thumbnails? Cant set 0. Can edit in f12 but dont know how to save changes. Its chromium fork - slimjet. I dont want extensions.
>>
I'm picking parts for a PC to build. I've read some stuff about it and I have some questions. I hope some kind anon can spare some of his precious time to answer them.

Is the performance difference between Haswell and Skylake negligible as many say?
Is 3.2 GHz QuadCore enough these days? (i5-6500)
What do I have to have in mind if I plan on overclocking? (Naturally not with CPU mentioned above but say with i5-4690K)
Is it worth investing in SSD? I mean if all I get is faster bootup I don't really need it.
What about the RAM frequency? Is faster freq necessarily better?
>>
>>52916640
>Is the performance difference between Haswell and Skylake negligible as many say?
No that's a /g/ meme

>Is 3.2 GHz QuadCore enough these days? (i5-6500)
Yes

>What do I have to have in mind if I plan on overclocking? (Naturally not with CPU mentioned above but say with i5-4690K)
A Z-series mobo, and a good cooler

>Is it worth investing in SSD? I mean if all I get is faster bootup I don't really need it.
Definitely, if it's an actually good SSD like a 950 Pro

>What about the RAM frequency? Is faster freq necessarily better?
Doesn't matter
>>
>>52915208
Bios shouldn't have anything to do with a keyboard though? It should just act like a USB keyboard.
>>
why does /g/ suck so hard now?

it's half as busy as 2 years ago and full of unknowledgeable people.
>>
>>52916742
Would you say this is a good build? It's an upgrade so no PSU, HDD, Case etc.
I tried to incorporate everything you advised.
>>
>>52916742
>>52916855
Fuck me, forgot the link.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MPPnZL
>>
Am I in the botnet if I use my protonmail account for my google account?
>>
>>52916864
Yeah it's good. You didn't include a PSU.

Also with a 212 EVO cooler you're not gonna OC

This is a good cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040

Read the reviews before anything
>>
>>52916864
what's your psu
>>
>>52916979
I don't understand it. The cooler I picked has higher RPM and could be even quiter than the Noctua. Even the reviews were same/good on both.
>>
>>52917038
600+W should be usable
>>
how do I go about writing a web crawler and a small shitty search engine.
>>
File: IMG_20160211_144152.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_144152.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Noob here, can i connect yellow to yellow etc to make it so that it's only one molex and not 2?
>>
File: 2016-02-11-084520_438x127_scrot.png (15KB, 438x127px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-11-084520_438x127_scrot.png
15KB, 438x127px
Will I get hired?
>>
File: 1451894530543.png (644KB, 2216x2216px) Image search: [Google]
1451894530543.png
644KB, 2216x2216px
what is docker and why is it useful?
>>
>>52917155
yes
>>
is there a way to check if a gpu works without testing it? ill be buying an used gpu and guy cant test it, thanks
>>
>>52917160
You had to ask. You lack self-confidence. You could be Einstein and they wouldn't hire you.
>>
>>52917160
highly doubtful if you want an IT position and are american.
>>
>>52917190
Im merely asking, doesnt indicate I dont believe in myself or lack confidence
>>
>>52917179
Will it work or will i blow up?
>>
>>52917175
i dont know anything about that except frank wolf looked rather cute (no homo) R.I.P
>>
File: 2016-02-11-085357_573x301_scrot.png (27KB, 573x301px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-11-085357_573x301_scrot.png
27KB, 573x301px
>>52917198
why not? i forgot to post the rest
>>
>>52917201
it will be fine which is why i said "yes".
>skills
8 years qualified electrician
>>
>>52917243
Thanks a lot, i doubted since cause its 4chan i expected "you can do it but it wont work"
>>
>>52917155
If you don't want the second plug, the output plug of the adapter, you can just remove it.
>>
>>52917238
well ok then,didnt realize you had more skills and that i was ment to wait for your next image.
having said that and now seeing your additional skills yes you should be able to gain employment.
BUT as the other anon said you obviously lack confidence.
>>
>>52917238
Remove WPM and add proficiency with office suites. HR thinks knowing how office works is somehow a feat of engineering
>>
>>52917280
Nah i wanted it so that it was just one input
>>
>>52917238
What job are you applying for?
>>
>>52917301
Yes. So there is one molex in, one molex out, and one pcie? output. You can just cut the extra molex out off if you don't need it.

Just make sure you do it so that the wires won't short out. Maybe tape off the ends or something with electrical tape.
>>
>>52917298
lel'd
>>
File: 2016-02-11-090438_577x328_scrot.png (31KB, 577x328px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-11-090438_577x328_scrot.png
31KB, 577x328px
>>52917298
added.. I also specified which DB I have worked with

>>52917316
General IT position at a bank (recruited from Uni job bank)
>>
Just went from 'buntu to windows 10 and I must say the font rendering is absolute horseshit.
Also for some reason I can't change the font. WTF

How do I get better font rendering and change font?
>>
>>52917356
What does 'basic network analysis and security' mean to you?
>>
>>52917389
There used to be a way to improve font rendering, but it's been unmaintained for years now. Sadly there is no good modern alternative.

Windows font rendering is actually done in the NT kernel (fucking windows) so it's really hard for third party software to improve.
>>
How do I get reply trees with ccd0's 4chan x?
>>
File: IMG_20160211_150826.jpg (2MB, 3120x2504px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_150826.jpg
2MB, 3120x2504px
>>52917327
>>
>>52917404

Analysing network traffic packets,
setting up firewall and routing tables,
securing access control (filtering, QOS, priority),

Seems basic, but could be less or more
>>
>>52917433
>>52917327
Forgot to type, they're both input
>>
>>52917446
oh lolwut? Maybe they assume that your psu won't have enough power for the gpu unless you plug both in? It will probaaably work with one, but I wouldn't take the chance. A psu without pcie connections is probably old and stodgy with low wattage anyway.
>>
>>52917472
It's old yeah
500w
>>
Are LAN parties still a thing? I'd like to find one and rek some noobs in Dota 2 . Where would I begin to search?
>>
>>52917486
What's the gpu? You might not even have enough wattage. Those adapters are really stodgy aswell. So many pics of them burst into flames.
>>
>>52917510
>lan parties
oh man
staying up all night playing gta2 and age of empires 2 against 5 other dudes was the shit
>>
File: IMG_20160211_151902.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_151902.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>52917472
Wanted to do something like this so that i can just power all 6 pins off one molex, would it work?
>>
>>52917521
560ti
>>
>>52915721
Nobody ;_;
>>
File: alcoholic_sadfrog.png (23KB, 489x423px) Image search: [Google]
alcoholic_sadfrog.png
23KB, 489x423px
I am anon and I have a question. I live in trumpland, and I'd like to go to college for something tech related. I'm young, but I've been out of high school for a few years now. Cheap would be great, because I can't get financial aid because my parents are middle class. Military is probably not an option, because I am a literal NEET weakling.

Last time I looked into a cheap tech program, I got denied because I wasn't poor enough. It was pretty depressing.
>>
>>52917539
It should work, but I would be worried about whether you have enough power. There has to have been a reason why it came with two. But feel free to go ahead and try it. as long as you don't fuck up the connections and shortem or something you can't kill the card. Whether your pc will be stable under load is another question.
>>
>>52917558
Just self study, if you can't afford it.
Take care also, because going to some cheap american college is silly. Avoid shitty for profits as much as possible, if you don't like getting fucked.

If you actually have marketable skills, try and get some shitty job/internship. I personally have gone through tertiary education, but I started with a couple of internships at tiny businesses.
>>
>>52917556
>>>/g/flt/
>>
How do we know that time isn't running backwards?
>>
what causes my headphone amp to crackle/pop when I change the volume? can it be fixed? It's a cheapo, Fiio e10 but it worked great when I got it
>>
what is the best (in price and performance) motherboard for FX-6300?
>>
>>52917653
slightly broken potentiometer. You could desolder it and replace it with one that doesn't crackle, but if you didn't know what causes the crackly that is probably beyond you as well
>>
>>52917653
bin
>>
What is a decent priced external hdd? I am thinking a Toshiba 2 tb one, I need to backup my stuff so I can roll back to windows 8 so some steam games will work. Also windows 10 botnet etc.
>>
File: 1455081371789.jpg (411KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1455081371789.jpg
411KB, 1462x1462px
>>52917704
>Toshiba
>>
>>52917669
>that is probably beyond you
probably
Is a higher end amp less subject to this kind of degradation/contamination? I like the fiio because it does dac as well, with both line level out and digital out in addition to hp amp, and for something like a schiit combo that does all of that I'd have to pay like 3 times as much.
>>
>>52917704
touro mobile
>>
>>52917715
I would appreciate a recommendation then
>>
>>52917736
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-backup-plus-2tb-external-usb-3-0-2-0-portable-hard-drive-black/2944503.p?id=1219083979672
>>
>>52917640
it is running backwards,what we look as improvements in technology are anything but improvements.
200 years ago things were good,zero man made pollution,no overpopulation list goes on down teh rabbit hole.
the past was our future,and what we call our future is our death.
>>
>>52917535
Where can I search for some?
>>
>>52917718
Well, it depends. A cheaper device is potentially more likely to use cheapo parts that break though.

You could potentially get someone knowledgabel to replace it though? A local electronics repair place could, if you told them that it's just the craclking volume knob and that's the only problem, could fix it super fast and cheap.
>>
>>52917742
Does this apply to all their hard drives?
It doesn't appear as if it does
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3028981/storage/seagate-slapped-with-a-class-action-lawsuit-over-hard-drive-failure-rates.html
>>
>>52917611
At the moment I have no marketable skills. I built my own pc and know my way around software, but most of my job experience is entry level retail. Pretty much a clean slate. I wanted to at least get some kind of certification or Associates, because it seems like I need a Bachelors to do damn near anything that isn't scrubbing toilets.

Luckily I'm on good terms with my family, so they'll support me monetarily if need be. I'll inherit the debt later on. I just can't go too crazy, like going to an ivy league or something. Community College is perfectly fine with me.
>>
>>52917754
I mean more from a physical rather than a philosophical perspective
>>
File: 1453670687136.png (17KB, 285x385px) Image search: [Google]
1453670687136.png
17KB, 285x385px
>>52917772
Seagate had one line of bad drives in 2012 which they fixed asap. They even refurbished failed drives.

Four years later /g/ still shitposts about it daily
>hurr Seagate drives are bad only buy WD goyim!

I don't care. If you want to believe that nonsense it's your money not mine.
>>
>>52917798
it does if instead of 00 to 24 you consider time to go from 24 to 00
>>
>>52917807
That is a good enough justification for me, that is similar to how people will have a bad restaurant experience and refuse to go there even though the restaurant may have changed completely. Thanks anon
>>
>>52917832
Thank you for taking me seriously. Best of luck to you
>>
>>52917791
Even if you are going to tertiary education eventually, it's worthwhile to upskill beforehand. I'm a self taught programmer, and going to uni and doing compsci was very easy because of how familiar I was with everything. Uni work being easier also means that working part time or something is much easier.
>>
Is there a way to pinpoint what is makes explorer.exe -specifically the taskbar- to get fucked? Mine freezes every now and then and I have no fucking idea what is causing it.
>>
that is similar to how people will have a bad /g/ experience and refuse to go there even though the /g/ may have not changed at all .Thanks anon
>>
>>52917856
Sometimes you cane end up with buggy shell extensions installed by shitty software.

Try using shell extension viewer from nirsoft, see if anything dodgy and non msft has been installed. Lot's of programs will install extensions that work fine, but if you disable all third party extensions you could see if a third party extension is the problem.
>>
find a flaw
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KRsXTW
protip : you may can
>>
5x vs 6p ?
>>
there's a windows tool tjat lets you set up an iso (if you have it) of windows which letsyou choosewhat sevicesand updates you want to have installed.

anyone know the name?
>>
>>52917918
Get an ssd. Install os on it. Don't listen to /g/ memers, even a modern 7200rpm drive is annoyingly slow these days.
>>
>>52917844
Sounds like a good start, thanks anon. Is there any particular language that I should begin with? Or should I look around for a copy of Coding for Dummies
>>
>>52917807
My drive from late 2011 has yet to fail on me. It had a couple hiccups, but I think that was due to aging pc hardware. 5 years later and stuffed with dodgy warez, it's still an all star in my build.
>>
>>52917957
Python is a good easy language for begginers. You'll probably find millions of resources on it. Shitty "learn to program for dummis/in 7 days etc." are shite though. Look up book reviews, try and find a good one. Learning from a good book is the best way to learn.

Python is easy to start, but don't be scared to move onto something else. Java and C# are very similar and easy to switch from one to the other, and make you very employable if you get competent. Memers will say to start with C but it's just a meme. C is a dead language.
>>
>>52917957
>>52918015
Also, being competent with linux is a very valuable skill. All languages other than msft langs are linux first, and can be a pain to use on windows, especially if you aren't familiar with how linux generally works.

If you have a lightweight laptop or something, try installing it on that. I use windows 7 on my main machine, but my laptop isn't a gaming machine so I use Linux on it.
>>
File: 1455024069591.gif (152KB, 380x570px) Image search: [Google]
1455024069591.gif
152KB, 380x570px
>>52918007
>dodgy warez
>>
>>52918015
ruby on rails worth my time?
>>
>>52918060
ror is kinda dying?-ish atm. Not too many people writing new ruby anymore, mostly just maintaining old crap from a few years ago.

But it's still worthwhile if you find that kind of webdev interesting. I don't know if i'd reccomend it as a starting point though. Ruby isn't "hip" anymore. Nowadays it's all node.js/various other js frameworks if you're a hip dev.
>>
What code names will Canonical pick for new Ubuntu releases when they exhausted the alphabet?
>>
>>52918091
thanks for detailed reply,i'll skip it and move onto something else worthwhile.
>>
I have started multiboxing in a few games and I need hardware macros to make things easier. I have a G15 but the keys are awkward and too few.

I am looking at the G13 as an addon but I have some questions:

1) Are the hardware macros independant of the G15? I have a G503/403 and the macros are treated this way but this looks like an older device so I don't know if it is partitioned off from other shit in the LGS software

2) This device is fucking old. Should I hold out for a newer version or just bite the bullet now?

3) Are there any good applets? I know LCDSirreal was good back in the day but the nag box is uncrackable.

4) Do you guys enjoy yours or find them handy or is this gimmicky?
>>
>>52918113
I mean new programmers have enough trouble with simple tasks. The first language you learn doesn't matter too much.
>>
>>52918048
Please no intrusion.

I have a habit of collecting games and movies. I had to do something besides being a jerkaholic.
>>
>>52918042
Is it possible to dual boot Linux and Windows? I have a 'gaming' laptop that I used for years before I made my rig.
>>
>>52914619
update the fucking timing.

You cannot expect the defaults to work. You need to adjust bandwidth and adjacencies.
>>
I have a twitter embed for a website I'm working on, it works in testing from my computer but when I upload it to the server the twitter embed disappears. Using AWS S3 for testing the live website, anyone know whats wrong?
>>
File: blurry shit.png (46KB, 849x1054px) Image search: [Google]
blurry shit.png
46KB, 849x1054px
Why the fuck is it so blurry? Crisp clear on my *nux. But fucking windows keeps emacs blurrier then nippon genitals.
What the fuck? Is it possible to fix?
>>
My mom managed to install some spyware programs and I'm abroad so I can't help her out directly. What are the best spyware removal programs these days? In my day I used to use Spybot, Malwarebytes, and some even said Windows Defender was enough. in b4 "common sense", "Gentoo", obviously the first has failed and she can't install Linux on her own.
>>
>>52918296
Change font
>>
>>52918296
just looks like windows font rendering to me. ie shit.

Try changing to a better font though. Windows doesn't have very good default monospace fonts. Source Code Pro will always be my favorite monospace.
>>
I'm trying to move Windows onto another hard drive

My 250GB SSD is almost here, is it simply just following the instructions of copying everything over?

Will everything be saved on the new drive?
>>
File: IMG_20160211_082533759.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_082533759.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
What im doing wrong?
>Inb4 photo instead of screenshot
My university blocks all pomf clones and others.
>Ask teacher
Because i was late she doesn't want to explain me
>>
>>52918356
Your mistake is programming in a different language than English.
>>
>>52918356

>She

Well there's your problem
>>
>>52918356
you realise you could just use snipping tool or prntscrn right?
>>
>>52918356
>Anho
>not 'Ano'
And look to your teacher straight to the face.
Also looks like that class/object doesnt really exist
>>
>>52918378
Im forced to do it in spanish because my class rules, usually i do it in english.
>>52918405
Manhana is worse.
>>
>>52918356
is the .jar in the right directory? It looks like it's not finding the .jar. You need to learn your ide.
>>
Coming from Linux

how do I make a ramdisk in Windows which can a) persist data and b) have multiple number of ramdisks
>>
>>52918324

pls respond
>>
>>52918468
No builtin functionality, you need some third party software. If you work out one that's good, please come back here and say it. I'd like to play with ramdisks.
>>
>>52918486
Hitman Pro + Malwarebytes
>>
>>52918457
It wasn't, thanks.
>>
I'll ask here before going to /dpt/. I've got two java classes in the same folder, I'm using both in the same project. One class creates objects, the other class puts them in an arraylist.

I'm trying to do a search on a string an object in the arraylist like this: if(x.equals(getY(object))) but the arraylist class can't find getY. I've tried putting package ABC; at the top of both the classes, but then I just get an error.
>>
I got a free HP Pavilion X2, first time I started it up it created a Windows user called Other User, I have no fucking clue who "Other user" is and no idea what their username or password is so can't login to the Windows at all, can't see any other way of logging in as a different user

First time using Windows 8
>>
>>52918324
I usually check with JRT, AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes AM when I'm doing some good old virus-cleaning job.
>>
me again >>52918405

>>52918356
>aller
Dude wtf, did you pass Lengua y Literatura?

Anyways, as other guy said, yes it isnt getting the objetosservicio library correctly, have you checked that the path in the project properties is the correct one?
Also check if that import is correct, it's been a long time since i have programmed in Java, but it seems wrong and simple
>>
>>52918536
uhh
I somehowe can't understand what you are trying to do. It doesn't seem to make any sense.
>>
File: b096af9053[1].png (12KB, 583x181px) Image search: [Google]
b096af9053[1].png
12KB, 583x181px
>>52918603
I want to use a method from Plate in MedieArkiv.
>>
>>52918538
Ask the person who gave it to you for help.
See if there is any way you can switch the user, like pressing cancel or something, hoping it will display more users.
Try leaving the password blank or entering guest as the name.

If nothing helps, use a Windows 8 recovery disk, or re-install Windows 8 entirely. Or install Gentoo.
>>
File: Bill_Wilson-1.png (2MB, 1920x802px) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Wilson-1.png
2MB, 1920x802px
Is there something better than Virtual Box that is also free as in beer?
>>
>>52918538
Reformat windows 8.1.
>>
Serious question, can computer scientists work in the Hardware industry?

If yes, in which jobs?
If no, should I do a Masters degree on EE or CE?
>>
>>52918678
My sister's bf gave it to me brand new so there's no way I can get help there

Can't switch the user and now that user is locked and it tells me to contact the system admin

Dont have a windows 8 disk

Fucking woo
>>
>>52918624
I'll assume your class Plate has the method getY.

If you want to use it in MedieArkiv, there are a few noob mistakes you can make.
1. you cannot just call getY(). You either have to create an object of Plate and call getY from it, like this: Plate p = new Plate();
and then call p.getY();
Or you declared getY as a static method, that means a class method that you can call without creating an object, then you would call it like this
Plate.getY() without creating an object first

2. the method has to be public, not private, package or protected.

3. "One class creates objects, the other class puts them in an arraylist" I don't think this makes a whole lot of sense. But good luck.
>>
what do you guys use for media server? I don't want to use ps3mediaserver because the download is hosted on sourceforge.
>>
>>52918751
>Go second computer
>Download new iso using key and use rufus to put on usb
>Fully reinstall on HP using usb
>>
>>52918751
Just torrent it?
>>
>>52918772
Alright, I see.

>"One class creates objects, the other class puts them in an arraylist" I don't think this makes a whole lot of sense. But good luck.
One is just making CDs and letting you set shit, the other one is an archive for the CDs. I dunno man, I'm just doing what the prof is telling me to do.
>>
>Be Me
>Be browsing /g/
>See L33T HackMe Thread
>One of the idiots posts IP Address
>Open Browser
>Type IP in Address bar
>ItsHisLogin.jpg
>Type in my default login credentials
>idiotdidntchangehiseither.png
>fuck shit up
>internet has been down for 15 minutes
>using cell phone for sweet connection
> 1mbps
>feelsbad.jpg
How the fuck did he retaliate so fast? It's like as soon as I fucked his shit up... My shit was fucked up.
The IP is 192.168.1.1
Help me get revenge.
You're my only hope /g/
>>
>>52918833
here's a reply asshole
>>
File: large.jpg?13282803201328280320.jpg (85KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg?13282803201328280320.jpg
85KB, 600x450px
is there a version of this where the subscription page is fixed
I'm using the dev-version
>>
>>52918855
Appreciate that, anon.
>>
>>52918858
forgot to mention I'm using FF if it matters
>>
does anyone know if serviio respects muh freedoms ?
>>
>>52918833
has this b8 ever worked? and by that i mean the pasta not the contents
>in b4 (You) replied
>>
I need to get a new laptop, but I'm not super tech savvy and I know if I go to a store they're going to jew me into something shitty and filled with bloatware. What are some /g/-recommended $750-$1200 laptops that have a dedicated graphics card. Also should probably say I have a spare 8 gig DDR3 RAM card so low stock RAM isn't really an issue.
>>
>>52918938
The (You) is all that counts and you gave it to him.
>>
>>52918938
This isn't a pasta.
I mean unless you mean the stupid 192.168.1.1 thing....
I don't know. You'd have to be pretty stupid.
I just made a greentext out of it to see it anyone would really think I was that stupid. It's working over on /b/
>>
>>52918951
Is the RAM laptop or desktop RAM?
>>
>>52913211

>wanna play a game
>>
>>52914353

Can't do that. Only options is going to be a trigger.
>>
>>52918951
Gayming laptop? don't.
Get a cheapass tiny light laptop for travelling, and spend the rest of your budget on a decentish desktop.
Unless you NEED to game on the go all the time, don't get a gaming laptop. Overheating problems, support problems, shitty build quality, awful performance. Just don't. You could geta sick as desktop for that budget, and spend a tiny bit on an old laptop.
>>
>>52918954
Next time I'm not posting the IP address so that people ask for it.
That will truly be bueno bait.
Might not work on /g/ but hilarity will ensue on /b/
>>
>>52918987
you're retarded.
>>
>>52919019
Ingenious... Retarded.... It's all the same.
>>
>>52918742
Anyone?
>>
>>52918802
>>52918800
>>52918538
I tried to start it in safe mode and then it just redid the set up and now allows me to use my own account
So go me
>>
>>52918959
Laptop RAM

>>52918982
I need the laptop on the go all the time and I need the graphics card for some of the programs we use for modelling in my classes.
>>
>>52919062
just go to reddit to get serious answers
>>
>download a large file (3.2gig)
>it has X MD5 hash
>transfer it to USB
>it has a different MD5 hash now
>do it to another USB that definitely works
>different MD5 hash

why?!
>>
>>52918226
anyone?
>>
>>52918951
Get a laptop with a skylake intel CPU so you get a good IGPU and CPU.

Or try to find a laptop with a intel CPU and a AMD igpu.

The whole point of laptops is portability, not carrying a 7KG monster.
Get a desktop if you want to play games in high settings, laptops are for low-mid settings with portability in mind.
>>
>>52919070
Most modelling classes should give you a comp lab or something though? Surely that would eclipse your shitty laptop.
>>
What's the difference between 127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0? My lecture notes say 0.0.0.0 is "this computer" but "shouldn't be used after an ip address was set" or something like that. And 127.0.0.1 is a feedback loop used for testing stuff like networks.
I have Apache installed on my computer, and the "it works!" page gets displayed on 127.0.0.1, 0.0.0.0 and localhost.

Also, more specifically, my lecture notes say that 127/8 is the feedback loop, but normally 127.0.0.1 is used.
What does 127/8 mean? Does it mean I can at most go from 127.0.0.0 to 127.0.0.255 or something like that?
>>
File: 1454971602601.png (40KB, 362x362px) Image search: [Google]
1454971602601.png
40KB, 362x362px
Whats the best intel cpu for 200 euroshekels?
>>
>>52919192
Motherboard?
B85, H81, Z97?
>>
>>52919192
i5-4460 but you are better of buying the FX-8370 with the new Wraith cooler.
>>
>>52919186
127.0.0.1 is the ip of the loopback network device. So internal connections back to the pc.

0.0.0.0 is usually used to mean "all the ip's on all the network interfaces of this pc". Since loopback is still just a net interface, 0.0.0.0 includes loopback, and all local network ip's.
>>
>>52919232
I still havent thought a lot about motherboards. Something around 100 euros if possible.
>>52919238
I was really having 4460 in mind. Just checking so i dont fuck up once i start buying the components for the pc.
>>
Is there anyway to create a WiFi access point for only one room? Or a hotspot? I'm not allowed to have routers where I live and I can only connect 4 devices to the provided WiFi. I'm wondering if I can connect a router to my computer through ethernet and bridge my WiFi connection. I'm almost certain it would work but I'm worried that other people might see the access point and I could get caught. Or that the administrators will catch it which they have done before. Is there any way of doing this? Or should I just connect the router but only use it through the ethernet ports on the back? Is there any way to connect a router but have it not put up an access point?

Tl;dr is there a way to make a routers access point small enough that it's not detectable outside of one room? Or is there a way to use a router without having an access point?
>>
>>52919070
Don't bother with gayming laptops with fancy graphic cards, their only purpose is to increase weight and heat. Modern laptops like xps13 will handle any graphic programs with the integrated I5/7 CPU and GPU and even play modern games on low/mid settings just fine.
>>
>>52919232
>>52919264
Forgive my autism, i thought motherboards were around 150e.
>>
>>52917155
there's a reason they're seperate, fyi
>>
>>52919290
>I'm not allowed to have routers where I live
what
>>
>>52919290
Yes, many routers will let you set it to not broadcast the ssid, but you can still connect directly by name.
>>
>>52919341
>hidding the ssid
you can still detect it
>>
>>52919362
You can if you're looking, but most people will not bother. If they can't see the ssid, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>52919340
>college dorms :/

>>52919341
>>52919362
So is there any device similar to a router (ethernet ports on back) that doesn't broadcast at all?
>>
>>52919387
Oh trust me, they bother. Roommate last year had a wifi booster for less than a week before they were knocking on our door to search the room.
>>
>>52919400
Dont live in such a fascist dorm then.
There is nothing you can do.It is emitting radio waves,no matter what you do, you cannot hide them.
A simple $10 device will pinpoint it to your door
>>
>>52919400
Well, no, not for wifi. You can't have wireless without broadcasting. But you can just turn wifi off if you don't want it.
>>
>>52919247
Hmm ok, thanks
>>
>>52919400
>that doesn't broadcast at all
If it dosent broadcast then its not going to emmit an wifi signal...
>>
My laptop battery, which is only about a year old lost 70% of it's capacity in the last year. It's 100% charge is only 36.8% of what the battery should be. this just recently started happening, last week it was fine with 100% being only 98% of design capacity. I'm running arch.
>>
>>52919425
That's what I was afraid of. I'm moving into a house next school year but I was hoping I could find a solution to the problem for now
>>
>>52919447
You are running out of cycles. It happens, buy another batttery pack.
>>
>>52919468
happens that drastically in a week? I understand batteries to an extent but I feel like losing that many cycles in such a small amount of time isn't right
>>
>>52917575
the reason is so you don't pull too many amps on one 12v wire
they're only rated for a certain number of amps
it's also;
a. why there's additional power connectors on high-end cards in the first place
b. why they're 6/8 pins, or even muliple connectors

pulling too many amps on a single wire is a fire hazard, don't fuck with them unless you understand why they were made the way they are
>>
>>52914635
put that second ram card one slot over
>>
>>52918723
try qemu
>>
>>52919453
l am not sure if you can buy li-fi routers right now, but that could be a solution
>>
>>52919431
>>52919441
If I couldn't shrink down the radius of the broadcast I would want to turn the broadcast off completely and just connect through ethernet ports on the back of the router. I don't need the WiFi
>>
>>52919117
either;
- your hash calculating program a shit
- your file copy program a shit
- your ram a shit
- your cpu is too far overclocked (a shit)
- your flash drives a shit
>>
>>52919551
you can disable the wireless radio on any wifi router in it's settings
>>
>>52919542
I've never heard of those but after a quick Google search I'm not sure if that would still be undetectable. It still broadcasts a signal correct?
>>
>>52919336
>>52919264
Get a GA-z97x-ud3h and a i5-4460 or a i5-4590 for something 10% faster for a few bucks more.
>>
>>52919583
it uses light instead of radio waves
>>
>>52919584
Thanks for the suggestion mate
>>
>>52919290
you could setup a bluetooth PAN, they might not be looking for those (detectable, but not by wifi hardware)
>>
I'm searching for Android OS version 4.1 for Sony Xperia M.

I've downloaded two versions, but they don't seem to be working.

Can somebody help me find a working version?
>>
>>52919581
This is the reply I was looking for. So does anyone know if it's possible to bridge my connections on my computer do the WiFi on my computer is shared to the router through ethernet?
>>
>>52919591
And my devices would connect the same way as normal WiFi?

>>52919658
Would a normal router do that or do I need something special?
>>
File: a.png (67KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
67KB, 640x400px
>>52919674
i have no idea what you said

are you trying to use the provided wifi on multiple computers over wired connections?

you can use many wifi routers for that, or a tethered phone/usb wifi card + a switch
>>
>>52919643
>>52919643
>>52919643
>>52919643
>>
>>52919670
Check xda
>>
>>52919839
My computer is connected to the university wireless internet. We are only allowed to connect 4 devices and we have to give them the MAC address of each to connect so I can't connect a router. What I want to do is plug a router into my computer and bridge my WiFi and ethernet connections so the ethernet is allowed to get internet from my WiFi adapter on the computer. I want to use the router to plug devices into with ethernet (xbox, nvidia shield, smart tv, etc) but i don't want the router to broadcast or the University will detect it.
>>
>>52919674
I think so.
Your PC receives the free wifi, connect PC to router, share internet through lan like this http://www.countrymilewifi.com/how-to-share-computers-wifi-with-ethernet-devices.aspx
>>
>>52919915
If you honestly believe for a second you can get away with something like this, you've got something nasty coming your way. If they wanted you to have multiple devices on the network they would've let you. They will detect the multiple MACs leaving your network and they'll find you. You can never hide your MAC from them
>>
>>52919915
that's the left-hand solution in my picture

set the router to wifi /client/ mode, so it can connect to a wifi network rather than create/provide one

not all wifi router support this, so check it beforehand

note that in both cases i mentioned, they will only see one device on the wifi, the others a NATted, you don't need to worry about what that means, besides that all your devices will be using one ip provided, rather than being individually connected
>>
>>52919956
you're wrong, MACs can't be seen outside of the local network, and he'd be creating his own wired LAN with an uplink to the provided wifi, only the uplink device itself can be seen outside of the LAN
>>
on windows how do i protect a folder from being deleted and a drive from being formatted? i fear of my music collection dying somehow
>>
>>52920057
>how do i protect a folder from being deleted
remove write permission for all but the administrator
>and a drive from being formatted?
you can't
>>
>>52919915
>>52920010
If you honestly believe that you're a dipshit. He's gonna connect to the internet on each device like a straight up retard.

Regardless of NAT each packet will have the original devices MAC, so the server may communicate back to the device. The Uni will see his private network because of the unusual activity (multiple MACs from one IP) and they will act.
>>
>>52919943
That was my plan, I just wasn't sure if it was possible. Thank you.

>>52919956
>>52920010
I was thinking they wouldn't be. Can anyone else confirm it? As far as I know, the only MAC they would see would be my computer and it would just distribute the internet to my other devices.

>>52919985
So you're saying I should connect a router directly to the wifi? They'll be able to see what it is

>>52920124
So they would see the MAC addresses of each device?
>>
>>52920124
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/765054.html

IP works on a different layer, IP doesn't give a shit about lower level MAC addressing, that's the router's job
>>
>>52920099
but i am the admin
i guess im fucked then
>>
>>52920180
>So you're saying I should connect a router directly to the wifi? They'll be able to see what it is
yes, they'll see your router as a normal wifi device, like your phone or laptop
in client mode it won't look like a router from the outside (from the universities' point of view)
>>
>>52920225
you can remove all write permission, even change the owner, it'll just be less convinient when you need to add/change something (perhaps that's the point)
>>
>>52920235
When I connect a device I have to call technical support and give them the MAC address and tell them what I'm trying to connect. Should I just tell them it's a computer or something like that?
>>
>>52920276
yep, say it's a laptop or usb wifi adapter or something, since they do mac filtering, give them the mac address of the router

consumer wifi router are internally just a little computer with a wifi adapter and a switch built in (the "router" component is actually software), there's no distinction, in fact, you can make a normal computer a router, too, with the right software
>>
>>52920245
is there a delete permission i can disable (only delete), and would that affect the entire folder, or every single file contained on int
>>
>>52920374
i think there is, but that won't stop you from being able to trash the data some other way (for example, overwriting things)
>>
>>52920338
So would I have to connect the router before putting it in "client" mode? Could I use a ethernet switch and just plug it into the wall? I have an ethernet port, but I still have to call and connect through MAC. Or should I use a router and turn off the broadcast?
>>
>>52920276
>>52920338
worth noting i suppose, the only sensitive information provided by a mac address is the manufacturer
the first few digits are a manufacturer ID, so they can determine for example, that a certain device is made by "d-link" or "intel" or whatever
however, they can't tell what device that wifi chip is in from that, and routers don't use special wifi chips, phones/laptops/xboxes use chips from the same manufacturers routers do

thought i'd bring it up now incase you find this and get concerned about it

>>52920475
put it in client mode before calling them
also, if you've used that router before as a normal wifi AP and they've seen it, then you can't use it, they'll recognize its MAC (the MAC won't change between AP and client mode)
>>
>>52920547
Then how are they able to tell what devices I connect? For example when I have to disconnect a device to connect another one they ask which device I'd like to disconnect by name (xbox, phone model, macbook/laptop, smart tv) Those can't be labels I've given them because on a laptop or phone you don't have to call them, you can connect through the browser.

Additionally, how would I edit setting before I connect it? Do I just plug it into my computer? Sorry if I seem a little behind but I've never personally owned or set up a router before.
>>
>>52920400
aahh fuck it thanks anyway
>>
I want to hire a freelancer to make some software to pull some data from the net and do calculations. What language should I have it written in? I'm looking for something common enough to be able to replace the dude easily enough if I want to but that still gets the job done well enough
>>
>>52920658
>Then how are they able to tell what devices I connect?
by what you tell them
>on a laptop or phone you don't have to call them, you can connect through the browser.
this is called a captive portal, basically, the wifi is open, but restricted, and you can temporarily request internet access on that connection via a particular web page (which you're typically redirected to automatically in a web browser)
the difference between this and having them setup a particular device, is that they're adding your device (identified by its MAC address) to a list a exceptions to the captive portal, so they instead get internet access from the get-go

>how would I edit setting before I connect it? Do I just plug it into my computer?
yea, plug it in via ethernet
routers run a web server on themselves, which you view in a web browser for configuring them
you'll need to be quick about it, consumer routers typically are setup for AP mode by default, which means it'll be broadcasting its own network moments after plugging it in. if you can set it up out of range of the uni, then do so, just to be sure they don't see it before it's in client mode
>>
>>52920802
should also mention, since they appear to be using a captive portal, you don't actually need to give them your routers' mac address
since you will have access to a web browser on a machine connected to the router (in client mode and connected to the uni wifi), you will be able to see the captive portal from there, and start a temporary session

obviously this won't be convinient, as these sessions typically aren't permanent, so you'll need to re-login every so often
>>
>>52920802
also, the "friendly named" such as "xbox" is just an administrative convinience, that is, it's easier for both parties if you said you wanted to "remove my xbox from the list", rather than "remove 54:82:A3:BF:23:B7 from the list"
>>
>>52920740
Sounds like a job for Python + NumPy to me.
>>
>>52920802
I know that's probably how they got a label for the tv or xbox but I connected my phone through the online portal and they listed it as a Galaxy S6

>>52920853
The online login stays permanent on my other devices. Would it be different for this? Or would it stay permanent too?
>>
>>52921013
>I connected my phone through the online portal and they listed it as a Galaxy S6
they likely got that information from your phones' web browser when you logged in, unlike mac addresses, web browsers tend to give out a lot more information

>The online login stays permanent on my other devices. Would it be different for this? Or would it stay permanent too?The online login stays permanent on my other devices. Would it be different for this? Or would it stay permanent too?
it won't be any different, remember, a router in client mode is just like any other computer with a wifi card
>>
>>52921075
I can't believe I didn't think of that. I used to do web design for a little while and I knew you could get information from the browser.

Okay, I was just confused because you said to create a temporary session. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>52921117
i probably shouldn't have assumed it was temporary
captive portals are often temporary, but they don't have to be
>>
>>52921140
I figured. I just wasn't sure. You seem to have a lot more knowledge in this field than I do so I just had to make sure.
>>
>>52921170
np
>>
>>52921170
also, if you're wondering why they have the 4 device whitelist in the first place, since the portal is permanent anyway, the reason is simple, not every device has a web browser
if you can log into the portal, then you can't use that device, so you'd need to call them up to allow that device manually
>>
>>52921251
if you can't* log into the portal
>>
>>52914635
I believe youre the guy who asked me for help in the guts thread. That build was/is my first build as well so take my advice with a grain of salt.

As far as I know you should be relatively fine without the fans on top. The radiator would probly work marginally better on the top, but if you have 2+ front intake fans I would get at least one 120 for the top of the case to help overall airflow.

As for the RAM, keep at least one space between them so it can dual channel. Also I cant tell if you have space behind your mobo for wires and shit but if you do then work on your cable management nigga.
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.