[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>latest /g/-meme now that ABP got too popular for hipsters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: alalal.png (9KB, 1097x83px) Image search: [Google]
alalal.png
9KB, 1097x83px
>latest /g/-meme now that ABP got too popular for hipsters is uBO
>Oh look at me I'm such an advanced user, I don't use that mainstream shit for plebs!
The developer made uBO specifically for technically illiterate people who wants a "streamlined" experience. AKA macfags
>>
>>52886353
But I use both.
>>
>>52886353
>>52886403
retards
>>
ABP is freemium garbage that only blocks the ad after its loaded; you still connect to ad servers and trackers
>>
>>52886403
>technically illiterate people
And we have our first example. Ublock does absolutely nothing that umatrix doesn't already do.
>>
>>52886353
>Simple = only retards use it
>>
File: 2016-02-09 19_58_08.jpg (33KB, 473x369px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-09 19_58_08.jpg
33KB, 473x369px
ublock origin has way more options than adblock and doesn't have an "acceptable ads" whitelist. op is retarded
>>
But uBlock Origin is superior in every way, shape and form.
>>
>>52886439
>>52886459
>>52886499
>>52886508
And here we have four people who can't even read properly.
1. The post doesn't defend ABP over uBO. You missed the point.
2. Nobody called anyone stupid. The entire point is blocking shit you don't want. And with plugins like umatrix you can get rid of much more than uBO. However it requires more knowledge, for people who don't have that knowledge there's uBO
>>
>>52886450
Except have an automatically updating AABK list.

>>52886607
No. Like I said, I use uBO for the reek list above.

Also, I like the "block element" context menu, and I use rule-based "advanced user" blocking on both.

They are exactly interchangeable, and it's not simply that uMatrix is a superset of uBO's functionality. That's simply incorrect.
>>
>>52886675
*aren't exactly
>>
>>52886675
>Except have an automatically updating AABK list.
And we have our second example from the same person. Ublock does absolutely nothing that umatrix doesn't already do.
>>
>>52886353
He's saying it's simple compared to shit like uMatrix and Policeman, not compared to ABP.
>>
>>52886607
>Nobody called anyone stupid.
you're right, i called you retarded.
>>
>>52886747
>Ublock does absolutely nothing that umatrix doesn't already do.
Are you legally retarded anon?
>what is cosmetic filtering
>>
>>52886747
>Right click
>Block element

Wow, is it hard to see from up there on your soapbox?
You should step down and join the rest of us. We won't hold your unwarranted sense of superiority against you.
>>
>>52886818
>be wrong
>can't even read
>call someone retarded like you're making a point
ok guy
>>
>>52886849
spoken like a true macfag
>>
>>52886877
I've never owned an apple computer.

Nice damage control though.
>>
>>52886894
>I've owned an apple computer.
So you admit to being a Macfag…
>>
>>52886353
>What is advanced user mode?
>>
File: image.png (13KB, 350x116px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
13KB, 350x116px
>>52886909
>Nice damage control though.
The same to you.
>>
>>52886909
Buddy, when someone uses the word "like" it means they're comparing you to something, saying you're similar to it. Whether you're actually a macfag or not doesn't matter.
t. sixth grade teacher
>>
>>52886958
>don't download full version
>download "for dummies" version instead
>use advanced mode to make it almost like the full version
That's actually stupid for real, not just technically illiterate.
>>
File: basedgorhill.png (143KB, 170x1200px) Image search: [Google]
basedgorhill.png
143KB, 170x1200px
>adblocking is stealing
>>
>>52887005
where did anyone even say that?
You're proving OP's point
>>
>>52886994
You're retarded. uBlock Origin can't do 100% of what uMatrix does but uMatrix can't do 100% of what uBlock Origin does either.

They have a LOT of overlapping features for sure but you need both if you want everything.
>>
>>52887042
>where did anyone even say that?
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ad-blocking-is-stealing,news-20962.html

Off the top of my head, but there are countless others just like it.
>>
>>52887082
And how is that relevant to this thread?
Do you need that sixth grade teacher to come back?
>>
>>52887058
Which is why the developer says it's a "for dummies" version of umatrix?
>>
Honestly in my experience with providing tech support for clients, I have found that uBlock is good because it has the nice big 'power' button to turn off or on. It's one of the main reasons why I recommend it to so many people. The ease of use is just a bonus for myself
>>
>>52887156
Except it isn't… If I want feature X that's only available in uBlock Origin and missing from uMatrix, how am I a dummy for installing uBlock Origin also?

A couple examples would be Element Picker and cosmetic filtering. No matter how fucking leet and "advanced" you are you cannot make uMatrix do this.
>>
>>52887185
>Except it isn't
>developer of the program says so
>I know better than the developer
>>
>>52886959
>>52886962
>>52886940
I'd rather be "like a macfag" than functionally equivalent to a retard, like you are.
>>
>>52887231
Just because uMatrix is more technical (which I guess it is, because of its granularity) doesn't automatically make uBlock Origin a For Dummies™ extensions by any means.
Like I've already explained, there are numerous features exclusive to uBlock Origin that you can't make uMatrix do regardless of how fucking smart you think you are.
>>
>>52887231
That's not what that means dumbass.

"The main goal" != "this other thing is the same as it but better"
>>
I use uBlock Origin because I'm too lazy to use uMatrix. You got me. So what? This is about blocking ads, not about being a 1337 h4x0r.

ABP is trash. It is inefficient and shady as hell. I use uBlock Origin because it's superior, not because ABP is too mainstream.
>>
>>52887314
>This is about blocking ads, not about being a 1337 h4x0r
Why not both?
>>
>>52887255
>>52887270
>Users who don't wish to use more technical means
I don't even know why you're so desperately trying to defend using the simplified version. It's ok. Just don't shitpost about it on /g/ all the time. You're like macfags who can't shut up about how much better it is than a PC

>>52887314
First resonable post by an uBlock user ITT
>>
>>52887400
You (purposely, I hope) misunderstand what he means. Is uBlock Origin simpler than uMatrix? Sure.
But you're trying to make it sound like uBlock Origin is the "Lite" version and uMatrix is the "Pro" version or some shit like that. My point is they are not exclusive and both can be used simultaneously, and uBlock Origin still has a use regardless of how "advanced" of a user you are.
>>
Seriously asking, not trolling, I know people get buthurt about this but I'm out of the loop. Does uBlock Origin actually prevent ads from loading, or load them and then hide them? And what does ABP do?
>>
>>52887447
>trying to make it sound like uBlock Origin is the "Lite" version and uMatrix is the "Pro" version or some shit like that
I'm not "trying to". The developer is telling you that's how it is. Email him and tell him he's wrong if that makes you so butthurt
>>
>>52887465
>Does uBlock Origin actually prevent ads from loading
Yes. The uHide meme is just damage control form ABP shills because they're losing income by not having the Acceptable Ads bullshit included with uBlock Origin.

It's easy as fuck to confirm this yourself by using your browser's developer tools to monitor what is actually fetched or not.
>>
>>52886424
>>52886450
Gorhill says to use both because umatrix isn't optimized enough.
>>
>>52887465
It's super fucking easy to see for yourself.
>load/save page with no blockers
>do the same with UBO and ABP
>compare load times and file sizes between all 3
90% of /g/ rather believes memes posted in the comment section of a bird seed unboxing video than actually finding something out.
>>
>>52887525
>umatrix isn't optimized enough.
[citaiton needed]

uMatrix and uBlock Origin share a lot of the code.
>>
I wish gorhill would add adblock filter support back to umatrix. Managing both addons is kinda annoying currently so I just use ublock origin.
>>
>>52887981
The way uBlock Origin has evolved lately (adding strict blocking, inline-script block etc. etc.) I think it will just eventually adopt uMatrix's capabilities as part of its Advanced Mode.
>>
>>52886353
>that horrible font rendering
Let me guess, you're a winbabby?
>>
>>52886353
>The developer made uBO specifically for technically illiterate people who wants a "streamlined" experience. AKA macfags
Oh no!
>>
Actually the story behind uBlock is pretty cute.
From its FAQ:

Why did you develop the Chromium version before the Firefox version?

In as few words as possible, with as little private matters disclosed:

Fall 2013
I am Firefox/NoScript user
Other user is Chromium/ABP
Worried about Chromium user not being protected against iframe loading freely (as opposed to Firefox/NoScript)
Looked into Chrome API to just quickly hack together a homespun iframe blocker
>>
>>52889080
That story is too short however.
What's explained there is actually how HTTPSwitchboard came to be, which is closer to what uMatrix is today.
Then he started adding cosmetic filtering and stuff on top of HTTPSwitchboard but he felt it became bloated.
That's when he decided to split them into µMatrix and µBlock (as they were called then).

And since then he has improve the core of both extensions by a lot.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.