[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You don't need to restart to install updates on Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

>You don't need to restart to install updates on Linux

And before you tards give me shit about the kernel needing restart, not regular programs, regular programs don't need to restart in Win either.
>>
>>52880576
Are you kernel 4.X?
>>
>>52880588
Yeah 4.2.0-27
>>
>>52880606
you don't need to restart. Kernel 4.X on has no reboot patching. look it up
>>
Yeah I see that when updating with gnome/unity

Probably not been patched yet, to reflect the new kernel function.
>>
File: 11037631.jpg (15KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
11037631.jpg
15KB, 330x319px
>>52880576
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXs0Yy5-0Y

O B L I G A T O R Y
>>
>>52880644
>>52880624
It's probably his fresh install
>>
>>52880663
Nah been using it for like a month.
>>
if you have time to install updates you aren't being productive enough
>>
>>52880576
When I've used Ubuntu I have also noticed how it wants to reboot the PC after updates. Other distros don't do that.
>>
problem is that a lot of windows components are IN the kernel, while with Linux, Linux only has whatever it needs to operate as a kernel.

You can have your Desktop Environment updated in a GNU/Linux distro without rebooting.
You can't have that in Windows.

You can have openSSL or whatever SSL lib you are using patched without rebooting in a GNU/Linux distro, but in Windows you have to reboot.

Nobody ever argued that a kernel update doesn't need a reboot, but even that, with the new 4.X series, they introduced live patching, without the need to restart.
To be honest, personally, I, don't know how to do it, but its possible.

Its not anybody's fault, but of yourself, that you can't into reading comprehension.
>>
>>52880652
LOL he said nigger on jewtube xD
>>
>>52880687
Right? Work until you are dead, you can relax afterwards
>>
>>52880687
>GNU/Linux
>productive
Pick one
>>
>>52880576
Okay kid. Thanks for shilling windows today.
>>
>>52880699
this
OP just got

B T F O
T
F
O

/thread
>>
>>52880699
>you can have your desktop environment break without rebooting on linux!
>>
File: 1452287351771.png (94KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1452287351771.png
94KB, 320x320px
>>52880703
>>52880708
>>
>>52880576
Restarting takes about 14 sec these days. Who cares?
>>
File: 1452302007718.png (457KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452302007718.png
457KB, 600x450px
>>52880576
Wait, windows update updates your programs?
>>
>>52880652
The worst part is that people like this are the reason they automatically manage updates now, instead of letting you do it manually.
>>
>>52880720
break? are you some archlinux memer? when did ever a desktop environment broke in a stable update?
Jesus, /v/ermins have really overtaken this board.
>>
regular programs need restart though.
You have to kill them and start them up again so you can run the new version.
The kernel have found a way to apply patches on a running system, but it is easier to just reboot
>>
>>52880733
it updates microsoft programs
>>
>>52880774
>Microsoft programmes
name 5 you use
>>
>>52880784
There are lot's of things you use everyday, that probably don't install as part of the base os, but that are updated through ms update.
>>
>>52880784
why?
>>
>>52880746
No, this was just their first attempt to force updates.

Windows security is shit regardless of its updated or not. Most viruses, if not almost all, come from software you run as administrator anyways.

Plus windows update breaks installs offer. At least half my installs died that way.
>>
>>52880791
>>52880803
So the updates that do not make you PC reboot are mostly useless.
Also most of the time you uninstall(?) a program cannot but reboot
>>
>>52880576
>regular programs don't need to restart in Win either.
Yes they do.
>>
>>52880809
Windows may have poor security even when updated, but when not it becomes far worse. Why leave yourself open to known zero days just because there are more zero days that might exist?
I have personally never had an update break an install. What updates cause this?
>>
>use Arch
>never have to restart for anything
>>
>>52880818
>security updates
>useless
neo-/g/
>>
>>52880818
>Also most of the time you uninstall(?) a program cannot but reboot
What?
>>
>>52880843
I was referring to software updates faggot, the software you installed yourself
>>
>>52880842
>use Arch
>nothing to restart for
>>
>>52880847
have you never used Windows? he's right.
most of the programs that are "system utilities" (antiviruses, etc) force you to reboot for some reason when installed/uninstalled.
>>
>>52880852
Epic xD
>>
>>52880853
I didn't understand the sentence.
A lot of stuff like antivirus ask to restart but don't need you to.
>>
>>52880576
>regular programs don't need to restart in Win either.
Some genuinely do.
>>
>>52880576
you're using ubuntu you fucking idiot
you are LITERALLY using an update manager
>>
>>52880860
you are correct, however, traces are left behind for some reason until you reboot.
I'm not sure if it's just antivirus programmers laziness, or a Windows culprit really, but if you look through your processes, files, etc, they cannot be killed/deleted if you haven't restarted your computer after uninstalling.

I am guessing that Windows has to load the components early on during boot, and they can't be killed for some reason? so you also can't delete it's files because the processes are using those files.
>>
>>52880851
Damn, you're right. Only an operating system could ever need security updates, software is completely different.
>>
>>52880874
>i run commands to update my programs

>>52880884
It's antivirus software devs not knowing how to stop and remove their services and processes. If you kill them manually you can remove them fine.
>>
>>52880885
When the fuck did I say third party software do not require security updates?
>>
>>52880915
>"So the updates that do not make you PC reboot are mostly useless"
^^^there
>>
>>52880576
Linux will continue to function as expected because kernel changes are not made until reboot. Windows on the other hand will make changes to the running system that break functionality.
>>
>>52880899
>It's antivirus software devs not knowing how to stop and remove their services and processes

you might be right really, I haven't used Windows since my childhood.
Will certainly look into it next time I have access to a Windows machine.

thanks, anon.

[spoiler]their is nothing wrong with aliasing your package manager commands to "update" and simply writie update in a terminal once in a while :^)[/spoiler]
>>
>>52880932
see >>52880851
>>
>>52880699
Is it possible to switch DEs without restarting X and closing all your open programs with an X window? What's the case with wayland?
>>
File: gnu_here.jpg (84KB, 311x311px) Image search: [Google]
gnu_here.jpg
84KB, 311x311px
>>52880708
>Entire US Department of Defense runs Red Hat Linux, including US Army & Navy on the nuclear submarine fleet
>Northrup-Grumman MQ8B Fire Scout drones Vertical Takeoff & Landing system runs on Linux.
>US Federal Aviation Authority runs Red Hat Linux.
>US National Nuclear Security Administration use Red Hat and Fedora
>Amazon.com uses Linux "in nearly every corner of its business".
>The Chicago Mercantile Exchange's all-Linux infrastructure has processed over a QUADRILLION dollars worth of financial transactions (All the money in the world, 16.66 times over)
>London Stock Exchange uses Linux.
>New York Stock Exchange uses Linux.
>NASA put Linux on ALL International Space Station laptops.
>All of CERN (Including Large Hadron Collider) runs on Linux.
>Google runs on Linux.
>The NSA uses Red Hat Linux.
>Over 90% of the world's fastest supercomputers run Linux
>96.6% of the world's top 1 million websites run on Linux

But tell us more about how you "can't be productive on Linux".
>>
>>52882995
>Is it possible to switch DEs without restarting X
I think it is, as the whole DE components can be interchangeable (LXDE is a perfect example for that, you can start a blank X session and fire up LXDE components one by one)

the only "complicated" part of a DE is it's WM, and I remember I used to use some trick when I used DWM which allowed me to restart DWM, switch to i3, and etc, without closing X.

>What's the case with wayland?
I have no idea, I don't think so, as the WM is the whole implementation of Wayland, afaik.
>>
>>52880576
Yeah, I've gotten that on Ubuntu-based distros. On the other distros I've used, you don't need to restart to install updates.
>>
>>52880760
arch regularly breaks Cinnamon in the course of Gnome updates. you know shared GTK3 dependencies and such.
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44523
>>
>>52885105
>using arch as an example of a distro with "stable updates"
wew
>>
>>52880576
you have no idea what you are talking about and conclude some bullshit based on bad practices.
Ubuntu and Fedora do the right thing with wanting to restart:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OfflineSystemUpdates
>Replacing libraries and files while the OS is running can cause problems ranging from application crashes to inconsistent system states where processes are using different versions of a library at the same time. By installing system updates 'outside' the normal system operation, we avoid these problems.
>>
>install geforce or crimson drivers
>asks to update
BUT ITS NOT THE KERNEL
>>
>>52885169
fuck wrong photo
please delete. I hope no one saw that LMFAO
anyway
>REPLYING TO BAIT WITH A SERIOUS POST
>>
>>52885192
N
nice negro photo senpai.
>>
All you have to do really is log out at the most, sometimes you do have to restart if they're xorg updates
But most of the time you don't
>>
>>52885164
you could just look at Gnome 3.
they break things in every update ranging from extensions, themes to applications not using the latest GKT3.
>>
>>52883234
The average chucklefuck doesn't care that they use Linux to operate the large money collider
All they want is a Facebook machine
>>
>>52885201
that's 1 gj
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.