[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Install Arch on old Thinkpad X41 by following Wiki step by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: 1449309756776.jpg (30KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1449309756776.jpg
30KB, 640x640px
>Install Arch on old Thinkpad X41 by following Wiki step by step
>Xorg fails with segmentation fault 11 at address 0x0

I'm loving it
>>
So now that the only bleeding edge here is my own anus, can anyone recommend me a more stable version of Arch?
>>
>>52865594
Install Fedora
>>
Lol retard
>>
install gentoo
>>
>segmentation fault at 0x0
So, the very beginning of RAM? So maybe you should look at your failing meme hardware before you go blaming a blank stable version of Linux.

YOU made it unstable.
>>
>>52865594
void linux.
not kidding. all the good things of arch without any of the bad things. check it out, fag.
>>
>>52865888
But arch has far more packages available than void. However, it does look cool, and I'll definitely check it out some more.
>>
>>52865594
There's Archbang if you want something that comes partly working.
>>
File: 1441809883140.jpg (13KB, 217x307px) Image search: [Google]
1441809883140.jpg
13KB, 217x307px
>>52865577
>bad ram
>blame the distro
>>
>>52865861
I wouldn't have even seen GRUB if the very beginning of RAM wasn't working, dumbfuck

>>52865961
>>52865888
Thanks
>>
>>52866034
I've already tried multiple other distributions on this laptop

You think I would even get to the point of starting Xorg from the console if my RAM was corrupted, especially in the very beginning?

Go fuck yourself with your pretend knowledge about computers. Arch is great, but fuck you and your shitty community.
>>
>>52866079
>implying

I'm not day ng you're too stupid to install arch because that's a meme. But arch just werks. If it doesn't, its the end users fault. Incompatibility is also the end users fault.
>>
RAM is dead senpai.
>>
>>52865861
Holy shit you're fucking retarded.
First of all it's not physical RAM, it's virtual memory, virtual 0x0 is most likely not mapped to physical 0x0.
Secondly, the first 4k block in every process is left unmapped in order to catch common null de reference errors like this.

Go learn how computers work before you blame "meme hardware".
>>
>>52867240
Almost forget, I say this as an Arch user, so it's not like I'm shilling for any other distro.
>>
>>52866034
>>52866220
Holy shit I didn't think my fellow Arch users would be THIS retarded.
http://wiki.osdev.org/Category:Memory_management
http://wiki.osdev.org/Memory_management
Go learn a thing or two.
>>
Use architect
Just werks
>>
>>52867240
>0x0 is most likely not mapped to physical 0x0
>first 4k block unmapped to catch errors like this

If the virtual memory address arch was using was 0x0 and it was left unmapped to catch errors, then why is arch throwing an exception when trying to access the start of the memory?

Go learn how computers work before you spout off your "God knowledge" on RAM and Linux processes but still can't solve OP's problem.

He definitely fucked something up or has failing hardware. It's a fresh install.
>>
>>52865861
>Arch
>stable

when will this wild ride end
>>
>>52866122
RAM doesn't have to be consistently corrupted for it to be failing.

You've tried how many other distributions and how many of them were successful? If you got other x based distros working and not arch, then you definitely fucked something up. Did you use a torrent to download the ISO? This is highly recommended. Check your md5's and make sure the media isn't corrupted.
>>
>>52867388
Arch is one of the most stable distros out there. Stop blaming arch when you break something.

>Chevy
>Pretty much the most stable you can get
>Not fancy, pretty bare bones
>Meme car

>Lamborghini
>Tears in half during 15mph sideswipes
>engine problems all the time
>looks good
>Best car 3v3r omg

Fuck off with your shilling for baby distros. Use whatever you want but don't blame your distro breaking down on you because you're a shitty mechanic.
>>
>>52867343
I seriously hope your just baiting me.

>then why is arch throwing an exception when trying to access the start of the memory?
BECAUSE IT'S UNMAPPED FUCKFACE.
Unmapped memory throws an exception when accessed.

Arch (read: Xorg) was not "using" 0x0, no one should EVER use 0x0 unless you want to crash.
There's no user solution to OP's problem, OP is not at fault here, the fault is 100% X's fault, and OP's hardware is perfectly fine.

A null de reference is almost always programmer error.

YOU learn how computers work BEFORE you embarrass yourself.
>>
>>52867425
>Arch is one of the most stable distros out there
I don't think that is accurate senpai
>>
>>52867395
FUCK OFF AND KILL YOURSELF, YOU'RE NOT HELPING HERE WITH YOUR NON-KNOWLEDGE.
>>52866122 has done nothing wrong.

PLEASE stop pretending you know how computer work, you're making me cringe.
>>
Use architect to install arch
>>
>>52867447
>Arch
>X
>Works on everybody else's machine just fine
>must be archs fault
Kek

>... Before you embarass yourself
It's an anonymous imageboard you fucktwat
>>
>>52865577
are you sure you have all the packages?
>>
>>52867496
Programs can crash under different environments, it's not particularly the users fault.
The software should be able to handle every type of environment it supports, failure to do so is error of the program.

OP, I suggest firing up a debugger and finding out where this fault occurs, maybe you could get a hint and fix it up.
>>
>>52867470
>not helping with your non-knowledge
You mean,.... Ignorance?

Way to be a retard. It's a widely known fact that letting a browser handle an ISO download can lead to broken isos. I just had this issue with 3 separate versions of Ubuntu using Firefox and opera and when I used the torrent to download it, magically, it worked.
>>
>>52867540
>It's a widely known fact that letting a browser handle an ISO download can lead to broken isos.
Sure, this doesn't somehow make your physical memory corrupt, as you were trying to argue.
>>
>>52867531
I'm not blaming OP but I'm also not going to sit by while people blame Arch. Something is surely amiss with Arch at the moment, but this is not from Arch. Arch comes out of the box with everything arch needs to run arch.

Xorg server, utils and xinit are all extra packages that need to be downloaded and ran by the user. Something went wrong in this stage.

>>52867568
I never claimed that a bad ISO could break RAM. Those are two separate issues. Surely a bad ISO could cause bad read writes which would "simulate" bad RAM. But to actually break your RAM would be a bit far fetched for anybody to claim.

Downloading more RAM however, is something that can only be done on Windows.
>>
>>52867425
>don't blame the sister

>be me
>pacman -Syu
>Come back from bathroom and DE/WM are gone
>restart
>still gone

sorry for breaking it
>>
Inb4 dicksucker123 posts you newbies hardly take any responsibility with that picture of that dumb mug.
>>
>>52867636
>install package that changes config files
>install package that rewrites xinit or changes something that deals with DE/WM
>Update system
>broken
>Archs fault

I'm not saying its 100% your fault. But its not archs fault that your shit is gone. It does what you tell it to do. Like I said earlier, you cant blame a mechanically sound car for breaking down when a poor mechanic goes to modify it.

Same here. That's the PC modding world. I know it's a slam to your ego to find out you're not as good as you thought. But car guys don't get defensive when their cars don't work. They just keep diagnosing and fixing the car. You should do the same.
>>
>>52867627
>but I'm also not going to sit by while people blame Arch.
You cannot be this stubborn, it is quite obviously Arch's fault, you can't spin it any other way.
Or maybe it's not specifically Arch's fault, but it is definitely X's fault entirely, and it's not that surprising anyway, X is a pile os steaming garbage that desperately needs to be replaced by something that doesn't suck truckloads of cock.

>I never claimed that a bad ISO could break RAM.
No you never claimed that, but you DID say that OP had bad RAM, you didn't say the bad ISO "simulated" bad RAM (lol), you specifically SAID that op HAS BAD RAM, which is just completely false.

I thought Arch users would be smarter than this.
>>
What are you retarded? Arch just fucking works and if it doesn't it's your own damn fault for not knowing what you're doing. Just stick with Windows, fag.
>>
>>52867776
No no no, not Windows!
Better Ubuntu or Mint.
>>
>>52867731
Like I said, X doesn't come with arch. It may be OP's fault or X's fault. But arch does what arch is told to. Including if its told to be unstable.

I didn't say it simulated bad RAM, but if a program has an error trying to read unmapped memory consistently then you could say in layman's that the ISO is simulating bad RAM since its not accessing it the right way. A poor way of putting it but none the less that can happen. So much wild shit can happen with small chunklets of code getting corrupted.

It's objectively very easy to deal with Arch. The meme that Arch requires you to be a Linux expert or PhD CS grad needs to die.
>>
>>52867731

Not him, but you're ass hurt retarded, in his post >>52867395 he clearly stated

>Where did your download your ISO
>Check your ISOs MD5.

Both of those point to, and implicate, that you should also check the integrity of the source material.
>>
>>52867331
>Use architect
>Just werks

Seconding this
>>
>>52867805
>It may be OP's fault or X's fault.
Definitely X's.
>But arch does what arch is told to.
Agreed.
>Including if its told to be unstable.
Right, except OP never told it to be unstable, it just told it to start X, which it should've but X fucked up.

>inb4 telling Arch to start X is telling Arch to be unstable.
I agree that X is garbage but that's not completely true.
>>
>>52867722
that's funny cause Debian and *buntu and mint and Fedora and every other distribution does what I ask it to too, and they don't fuck my shit up in the process
>>
>>52867903
I have to agree. Telling x to start is not directly telling it to become unstable. But at what point did the x installation become unstable and for what reasons? I'm technically a Linux babby and I've had no issues with arch in the ~5 months I've been using it heavily. Did he screw up X or did X break itself on a fresh install?

>>52867973
For the same reason you're on Linux because Mac and Windows do far more than what you tell it to do, Fedora, *buntu, mint and every other distro do far more than what you tell it to do. Arch literally does exactly what you tell it to do. If you don't tell it to do somethings its not going to do it. That's an issue in itself if not managed properly.
>>
>>52868113
I don't know exactly what OP did so i can't say, maybe OP did do something incredibly retarded, who knows.

Where did OP even go? is he still here?
>>
>>52868223
I thought
>>52867973
Was OP
>>
File: 1452388801348.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1452388801348.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>52866139
Setting up an arch install to be booted from UEFI makes me want to slay myself
>>
Since it's a linux trouble thread.
Does anyone know how to fix a no sound issue with Debian on a T61?
>>
>>52868365
I found it much easier than trying to do MBR/BIOS. Pop it in, gparted for partitioning, install syslinux, good 2 go.

Though one instance I had a weird issue where the media wouldn't boot so I went to legacy BIOS, installed using gparted and installed the bootloader and then switched to UEFI and it worked fine.
>>
>>52867425
I almost spat out the water I was drinking. The last Chevy I owned had major part failures every couple months that would take it out of commission for about a week while I tried to fix it around work.
>>
>>52868466
>Not taking care of your car
You deserves it. Probably beating the hell out of an automatic transmission.
>>
>>52868434
Yea that's what I usually do. I'm trying to dual boot it with Windows 10 on my dell xps 13 (2015). The hard drives partition table is gpt, and usually using a bios bootloader and legacy boot should normally work but here's the kicker: for some ""security "" reasons the xps 13 won't use legacy boot if its installed on gpt.
>>
>>52868481
I was shit failing like the fuel pump, water, pump, alternator, steering gearbox seals (that one I let sit for a couple months and just went without power steering, and other shit. Surprisingly the transmission didn't have any problems. Replaced it with a superior Japanese car that has yet to have problems.
>>
>leenucks just works!!
Kek
>>
>>52868577
Line 5: ')' expected.
>>
File: laughing betty.jpg (84KB, 491x414px) Image search: [Google]
laughing betty.jpg
84KB, 491x414px
>>52868778
Damn.
>>
>>52865618
then tip it towards m'lady
>>
Don't forget kids, watching shit scroll on a terminal for hours will make 31337 haxorers out of you overnight
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.