[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out with the weed, in with the C

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: 1407815773032.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1407815773032.gif
2MB, 350x197px
So, /g/. I have a baby coming any minute. Little fucker could be here today. I've been a weed smoker for the last couple of years, and I've been working in nursing homes for the last 10. I think it's time to give up the weed and focus on programming so I can give this kid a better future. Give myself a better future.

No questions. /g/ isn't my personal helpdesk. I know how to read the sticky.

I just want a general "This is why I changed my shit for the better" thread. /g/ is the most goal-minded board I've visited in my time here, though I rarely post. Anytime I need reassurance that I'm on the right track, I pop in here. Not for questions, but because I like the perseverance of this board.

So I ask again, /g/. What/when/why did you decide to better yourself? And how far have you come?
>>
File: 1453428892462.png (340KB, 398x582px) Image search: [Google]
1453428892462.png
340KB, 398x582px
>>52865217
>progrraming
>a better future
>>
File: 1433337947386.jpg (163KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1433337947386.jpg
163KB, 800x800px
>/g/ is the most goal-minded board I've visited in my time here
>>
File: 1453411626463.jpg (448KB, 800x731px) Image search: [Google]
1453411626463.jpg
448KB, 800x731px
>>
File: 1454857654716.jpg (49KB, 793x494px) Image search: [Google]
1454857654716.jpg
49KB, 793x494px
What's wrong with smoking weed? I've been sober and alone my entire life, yet I am a somewhat decent developer. I'd rather have a cute baby, smoke weed and fuck around in a nursing home.
>>
>>52865217
Fuck off to /adv/ this is the electronics consumer & shilling board.
>>
i thought you meant cocaine in title
>>
File: Pacha.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Pacha.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>52865217
>>
File: psst kid, do you want coke.jpg (132KB, 1706x1280px) Image search: [Google]
psst kid, do you want coke.jpg
132KB, 1706x1280px
>>52865217
sell drugs, way more money than programming crud as a code monkey
>>
>>52865217
If you don't drink or smoke tobacco, you're already doing miles better even if you're a stoner
>>
>>52865217
I'm a C programmer and I get high every morning.

I also sage posts like this.
>>
>>52866209
>I also sage posts like this.
Who fucking cares? I put rosemary on it when I started it.
>>
>>52866275
I will find you and I will suffocate your child.
>>
I posted this thread because most of the people on here, though it seems I got the few that aren't, are devoted to their chosen field. I've only recently decided to choose a field. Nursing blows, and I'd rather do anything than this shit.

Unfortunately, I'm already in my thirties with nothing else under my hat. Learning from home is my only option.

I wanted 'git gud' stories, nothing more. I didn't come here for opinions. I know what opinions on 4chan are like. Useless and cancerous. I've already set my course, and I'm following it. Regardless of the autistic responses I'll get.
>>
>>52866370
fuck you
>>
>>52866351
I doubt you even wipe your ass properly. Don't fear the retards.
>>
>>52866386
And you as well, my friend.
>>
>>52866370
suck a dick nigger
>>
>>52865217
>goal-minded
Not /biz/
>>
>>52866370
Dude, what the fuck really? Git gud stories on /g/? If you had any exp in programming you'd know this place is beyond retarded. The only reason to come here is to have a laugh at the tryhard children.
>>
>>52866415
K, cool. So I'm not going to get anything besides recycled insults? I can't even get an original insult. /g/ is the new /b/.
>>
Lol at all the edgy faggots derailing this thread. Go for it op.
>>
>>52866439
>/g/ is the new /b/
you're new as fuck, stop trying already and fuck off
>>
I just had a kid a year ago. It starts out pretty shitty, OP. I'd say the first five months or so are the worst. At that point they start at least smiling and then laughing, etc., so it gets a little more fun.

As for my job, I'm still a wageslave at fast food. The mom decided to wait like halfway into the pregnancy to break the news. I did manage to move out and get my license and a car in that time at least. I was going to school, but didn't have the time since mom was going too. I have no idea what I'd want to do as far as a career still, so if you don't know what you're shooting for, having a kid probably won't change that.
>>
>>52866446
>derailing
there is nothing to derail here, this thread is fucking dildoes and has shit all to do with technology...

so faggot OP wants to change his life? who the fuck cares

this is literally a /b tier thread
>>
>>52866428
It seems that's all that's here, too. Honestly, I though someone on /g/ might have accomplished something. Anything. Gotten a job. A promotion. Worked...
Eh, I gotta go work. I'll just leave this to die, then.
You guys have fun with whatever it is that happens here nowadays. Which is apparently nothing.
>>
>>52866506
Oh, I don't care whether you care about me changing anything. You think that was the point of this thread? I wanted stories about moving into jobs in the tech industry.

I can see how that doesn't fit here, though. The job thing.
>>
>>52866461
>I just had a kid a year ago.
>As for my job, I'm still a wageslave at fast food.
>I did manage to move out and get my license and a car in that time at least.
how does it feel to be trailer trash? are you excited that your life is over? was it worth paying child support for the rest of your life to have unprotected sex? are you happy that you've spread your seed to allow a new generation of low intellect, human garbage to take up space on this planet?
>>
Here you go Op
>be programmer since age 9
>stuck in high school
>start reading into actual philosophy like Plato, Aristotle, etc.
>notice how fucked up everything is
>wanting to leave but don't know it yet
>start getting better at programming
>spend too much time studying worthless school shit
>early exit out of high school
>start smoking tons of weed
>get freelance contract
>get real job
>quit
>get another job programming

Now I'm making two times what my parents make and it feels good man
>>
>>52866537
>I can see how that doesn't fit here, though. The job thing.
exactly, most of the posters here haven't worked a day in their life nor do they go outside very often so they have literally nothing of value to give you or anyone else

the other extreme? what do you realistically expect to hear? muh life story of how i got where i am in 10 years of programming? what value does that have? you'd be better off reading someones biography

tl:dr go to schools, study hard, do projects that are actually challenging, get noticed, possibly get a TA position, start applying for internships summer jobs a.s.a.p, work hard, work some more
>>
>>52866609
>implying I pay child support
>implying I don't have an apartment
>>
>>52865217
nursing home + weed is fine bro
you dont need to give your little man tons of money to make him happy ok
>>
>>52866461
Your ducking stupid. Stop living your life for those ducking parasites.

Takes your lumps, pay your child support and get the duck out of their lives before your 40 lookin at the inside of an expertly crafted extension cord noose.

It's much better to suffer a little monetary then lie to yourself that you give a shit about this whore and her little welfare spawn.

Do this and you will live a much happier life. Selfish I know, but it's way better than suffering trying to play daddy for the rest of your life.
>>
>>52866658
I hear ya. I just don't want him growing up seeing his dad hate his job and having a bad attitude every day after work because of it.

I know I could do more. So I'm at least going to give it all I've got this one time. Honestly, the negative shit here goes in one ear and out the other. When you spend your days cleaning old vaginas of caked shit and hearing old men call you every name in the book while you clean crud off their cocks, the silly shit from teens on here barely registers.
>>
>>52866752
I think at this point it's a little late. It affects too many people.
>>
>>52866754
>spend your days cleaning old vaginas of caked shit and hearing old men call you every name in the book while you clean crud off their cocks
I hope you get paid decently.
>>
>>52866839
$14 hr with 12 years experience.
>>
>>52866428
/dpt/, Linux, and the occasional tech news is why i still come back.
>>
>>52866859
>$14/hr at 12 years
That seems kind of shitty. Certainly doable with a kid, especially if the significant other is in the picture, but relative to your experience it seems low. Where do you live?
>>
>>52866752
As an alternative, I think web development is more easy to learn than C, so you could start with that.
It's easy money as far as Im concerned. There's usually a wdg thread on g somewhere.
>>
>>52866808
Stop caring about others. It will literally ruin you.

It's hard to I know, but If you really care about yourself as an individual you would run as far and as fast as possible.

As a man your possibilities are endless, but settling down and playing daddy means responsibilities
Responsibilitis that arnt going to "huuur make you a man, n a gud adult. NO!
There is no such thing. This is just a way to sucker men into being providers. It's a parasitic relationship and you are only hurting yourself.

If you are concerned about the welfare of the child you have no need to worry (at least in usa.) Single mothers are more taken care of than veterans. She will receive social assistance and trust me boyo it'll be way more than your burger Flippin as can provide.

So please do yourself a favor and live your life for you.....before it's too late.
>>
>>52866892
Tacoma. I moved here from Georgia, where I was making $8/hr.
>>
>>52866897
Good idea. I have a book on html/css and one on JavaScript. Mark Meyer's shit.
>>
>>52866914
Btw. This is coming from someone who got some one night stand preggo.I was 17 at the time with no job, and just enrolled in Uni

She tried to tie me down, and I almost let society get the best of me.

Now I'm living the Bachelor life making 80k a year. I literally only pay like 400 a month in child support so it isn't shit,

You figure I get to spread my seed and have it watched for less than the monthly price of a new Prius
>>
>>52866914
I've thought about it, but I wouldn't be able to afford shit on my own. I doubt my parents would want me moving back in after having to explain that shit either.
>>
>>52866989
>Mark Meyer's shit
I have one of his A+ books from a few years ago. I know for sure it doesn't have Windows 8 on it. I never bothered taking the exam though.
>>
>>52867032
I know it's scary bro.
But you have to work on yourself first,
Listen. You may not be able to afford anything now, but the beautiful thing about this life is that it changes fast, once sec your smoking weed ina ditch the next your a ceo of some huge company.

You just have to get the ball rolling and keep pushing. If something isn't working out, change. And change hard.
Don't be afraid everything will be alright anon.
>>
>>52866989
You can start some sidejobs with html/css and some basic JS to get started, and see if it takes off from there.
I think there is a link in /wgd/ about a guy who just started taking small jobs making websites for friends and relatives, and started expanding from there. Eventually he was able do quit his old job and become full time web developer.
>>
>>52867048
Sorry, might be thinking of the wrong person. This guy only has two books on Amazon, and they're on web dev. Mark something though..
>>
>>52867170
Oh. I was thinking Mike Meyers.
>>
>>52867082
That does sound like a good place to start. I want to learn multiple languages over time, though. My ambition is to work in the space industry one day. I know that's a pie in the sky dream, but I'm still going to try.
>>
Was stuck in a rut, in a dead end job. There wasn't a day that went by when I didn't think about jacking it in. Eventually I started studying at home for IT certifications. Then I got signed off work with stress, because I just couldn't take it any more. I used up all of my sick pay and then resigned, and this coincided nicely with the beginning of a college course I had decided to enrol on. In 3 years I'll have a degree and some microsoft and cisco certs.
>>
>>52867082
Where do you even go to find sidejobs like that? Would I need to be proficient in order to do them, or could I basically learn as I go?
>>
>>52867453
That's where I'm at. I was thinking about getting certs at home and looking into local college's online offerings. I'd love to get a B.S.
>>
>>52867476
I used https://www.bento.io/tracks to learn webdev. You should do some of the projects to get an idea of what you're capable of.
Basically, with html/css/js you can do websites that don't require user input like logging in, shopping, etc. However you can sometimes use frameworks where it is already implemented and you only need to style the rest of it using html/css.

To find the sidejobs, you need to get the word out that you're available for making websites. Start telling all your friends, family, relatives. Maybe someone's uncle's needs a simple website for his small business, etc.
>>
>>52866461
How did you not know that you didn't use a condom?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.