[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/spg/ - Smartphone Advice and Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 36

File: spg-z5.png (184KB, 933x600px) Image search: [Google]
spg-z5.png
184KB, 933x600px
Previous Thread: >>52821220

Z5 edition

Use >>>/g/spg/ to direct users with questions about smartphones to this thread, to help reduce clutter on the board.

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your carrier, your budget, what country you live in, and what features are important to you.

Good resources:
>reviews and specs
http://www.gsmarena.com
http://www.phonearena.com
>frequency checker
http://willmyphonework.net

News:
>Z5 and Z5C now available in US sans fingerprint scanner
>Verizon says "fuck net neutrality", starts zero rating their in house video service
>iPhone 7 may include AMOLED screen, ceramic back, and waterproof design
>Blackberry lays off 200 in Canada and Florida
>First HTC One M10 photo leaks, does away with black band with logo
>MWC'16 happening from 22nd-25th
>>
traded in a bunch of shit to the tmobile store and dropped att and sweet talked the tmobile dude and got a LG g4 for 200 bucks.

trying to decide if i should keep it or sell it and get something else

kinda like the Lumia 950. This G4 is so much more badass than I expected tho
>>
File: 2016-02-08 01.09.23.jpg (3MB, 2067x1822px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-08 01.09.23.jpg
3MB, 2067x1822px
So I finally got my little shitposting machine up and running, but I've got a few minor issues. Being battered, beaten, and pretty old, the keyboard doesn't always like to respond to input. The battery life isn't what it used to be, either, and the phone gets pretty hot. Really, I'm primarily going to use it for browsing the web and running SNES/GBA emulators.

What I want to know is if there's any phones newer than the Droid 4 that have similar features - a physical keyboard, easily rootable, etc. I wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen and mildly more updated specs, but it's not too big of a deal if it's around the same level. Compatibility with Verizon would be great too.

I'm also kicking around simply buying a good-condition used one off Amazon or ebay but if there's a better option I'd like to hear it.
>>
I'm going to buy a 5x tomorrow if I don't find a reason not to. I'm only wondering about a valentines day discount Google will run; or so I heard here.
Anybody have info off the top of their head about it? I checked Google, but can't find anything other than maybe the current 50 off the price from back in December is the discount but won't go lower soon.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-07-22-19-02.png (99KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-07-22-19-02.png
99KB, 1440x2560px
Unlocked verizon note5 user again.

Is there anyway i can slap a tmobile sim into this? I understand the difference between cdma and gsm, but if the phone recognizes and connects to tmobile, shouldnt everything work with a few edited settings? Would rathet keep this phone then try and sell it and go with another gsm unlocked phone.
>>
>>52859502
who /cricket/ here?
>>
>>52859583

If you like the g4 you would love the flex 2
>>
>>52859583
Windows phone is really terrible. W10M is beta quality, just go to the windowsphone subreddit. It's a mix of depressed actual users and rabid fanboy pajeets. I would stick with the G4, Android offers much more freedom.

>>52859615
>physical keyboard
Blackberry Priv will probably be -
>easily rootable
nevermind.

Besides the Priv, there is very little in the way of modern phones that have keyboards. You're probably out of luck.

>>52859634
Dunno about any Valentine's day sale. The 5X is a pretty worthy phone, just some rare intermittent performance issues and sometimes the camera app glitches out. Hopefully this all gets fixed with the promised updates.

>>52859636
According to Samsung's product page it includes a GSM radio, so it should just be a matter of inserting a valid T-Mobile SIM card and you're up and running. It does have to be unlocked, which Verizon would do for you for a fee (but it sounds like this was already done)

However(!), it doesn't include support for Band 12, so you may experience issues getting LTE inside large buildings. T-Mobile has been heavily pushing Band 12 so this will only get more prominent in the future. Might be worth it to get the T-Mobile variant or another phone like the 6P that supports Band 12 so you get LTE in more places.
>>
>>52859727
I should have been more clear, I apologize. I will literally take anything newer than 2012 (aka when this phone launched). Even cheap Chinese shit if it outspecs the Droid 4.
>>
>>52859742
No worries, I understood that you're looking for anything newer that has a keyboard. But besides a couple Blackberry models there hasn't been similar keyboard phones since 2012, at least to my knowledge.
>>
Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T get a 6p?
I'm looking to upgrade the only legit complaint I have heard about it is that for some people its just to big.

I don't mind that since I do use my current phone to watch shit and will with my new one, plus I might download some games, I'm not sure.
>>
>>52859727
Verizon note 5 guys again, thank you very much for taking time to explain and respond. Much appreciated sir
>>
>>52859761
It's too big.
5x has the same camera anyway. Probably not as fragile as the 6p too.
>>
>>52859790
But the 6p has better specs right?
I probably won't buy another phone for like 3-5 years after this one.

Plus those 2 front facing speakers man...
>>
>>52859757
That sucks. Might buy a replacement Droid 4 then. Thanks!
>>
>>52859810
Yeah better specs like 3 gb ram instead of two, 8mp front camera instead of 5, more data storage.
If you don't mind the bigger screen, potential durability problems, and higher price then it's just a better phone.
>>
File: drakedroid.jpg (67KB, 576x320px) Image search: [Google]
drakedroid.jpg
67KB, 576x320px
>>52859761
6P is probably the best phone you can get if money is no object. There are some concerns about build quality, but besides people smashing the camera glass and one ripped youtuber using all their retard strength to break two of them, i think this is just a meme. It should be fine as long as you're not actively trying to break it.

>>52859810
6P has more RAM and a more powerful SoC. However, if you're looking for a phone to last you 3-5 years it might be worth considering waiting for the Snapdragon 820 phones coming out this year, provided that Qualcomm has fixed the issues that plagued the 810. Still, from all reports it doesn't sound like the 6P overheats like the One M9 did during initial reviews, so it's still not a bad investment.

>>52859820
no problem, sorry I couldn't be more help. The Neo900 project might be interesting to you, they're trying to recreate the Nokia N900 with more modern internals while still being hacker friendly. It doesn't run Android though, unless it gets ported.
>>
>>52859727
>Windows phone is really terrible. W10M is beta quality

So sad, but so true.

Oh well.

Guess I'll stick with the LG G4. I feel as though I have gotten a much better deal with this than my Galaxy S6 that I got last year.

Fucking AT&T.
>>
I bought a moto g. After all the memes I did it. I like it. Any simple way to get different system emojis? I got my wife the same phone and she thinks they look stupid.
>>
>>52859858
Yeah I saw that one youtube guy bending the phone, it raised some concerns but after watching a bunch of other people do the bend test and not being able to bend it with all their might it didn't seem like it was really an issue.

Maybe that dude just abnormally high finger strength or something...
>>
>>52859890
Get a new wife.
>>
File: _jho8lpLiWM.jpg (97KB, 454x807px) Image search: [Google]
_jho8lpLiWM.jpg
97KB, 454x807px
Is it worth rooting a Zenfone 2?
What will the phone benefit from?
>>
>>52859991
Yes, it's easy and can be undone and still get OTA updates, you just have to unroot before every update and then reroot.

It's totally worth it to disable some of the awful bloatware that is included on the phone. Better yet, flash CM after unlocking the bootloader.

>>52859890
root and install emoji switcher from the play store. you can get iphone emojis, or samsung ones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stevenschoen.emojiswitcher&hl=en
>>
so, how do you know if an iphone/android is legit and not a clone?
>>
>>52860575
There's usually some key flaw, build quality, misspellings. Things like that.
>>
File: slide to unclock.jpg (1MB, 1973x5000px) Image search: [Google]
slide to unclock.jpg
1MB, 1973x5000px
>>52860575
It's usually pretty obvious.
>>
>>52859502
Z5 Premium user here.

I really like this phone compared to my old Galaxy S6 Edge. Fuck Samsung.
>>
Currently own an iPhone 6 and able to renew my contract.

For just a few euros a month extra I can get a "free" phone.

Do I get a nexus 5x, G4 or wait and see if they get the G5 and hope it will be just as cheap for me this way?

I really like the idea of expendable storage but not sure if I'd use it all that much. I don't like the G4s leather back too much but neither do I really care for the plastic Nexus back.
>>
Anyone have any experiences with the Honor 5X?

Seriously considering it because of the cool fingerprint things you can do with each finger opening a different app, tap to take pictures and swipe features.

Do other Android phones do this stuff, or is it just to unlock the phone?
>>
LG G5 will be announced on 21st February and available in March. I was going to get the G4, but I thought I'd wait for G5. How much does a flagship cost on premiere?
>>
>>52861241
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhA4f7EVH8w
>>
my battery seems to go down faster when I charge from USB? is that normal?
>>
Is there any security risk in rooting the phone? I will not flash any custom rom, is there any chance of getting infected in the rooting process?
>>
I have a Moto G first gen. Tell me what to get for $80 - $110. Not a poorfag but I work in poorfag communities and my phone could be stolen
>>
File: [hapiness intensifies].jpg (19KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
[hapiness intensifies].jpg
19KB, 360x360px
>>52860955
Me too, I've had the note1, 2, 3 and 4. 5 came out and that doesn't have an sd card so I'm on the z5 premium. The battery on this is awesome.
>>
>>52859502
I was considering buying a Galaxy S7 next month, but recently I went to a store and loved the Xperia Z5, both standard and Premium versions.

Which one should I buy?
>>
>>52862204
Between the Z5 and the Z5 Premium*.
>>
I flashed a CM13 ROM into my S5 Mini, but I noticed a heavy decrease in battery life. What can I do about is? Should I flash a previous version?
>>
>>52861814
cool friendo, the stamina modes look pretty impressive from what I have seen

I am dropping the GS5 for regular Z5, wish I had never bought the galaxy it's a piece of shite software wise
>>
How meme are xiaomi redmi.note 2 or 3? I was thunking replacing my shitty s3 lte with some decent phone that doesnt cost too much.
>>
The Nexus 6P is crazy expensive in the UK at the moment, would you get the 5X now or wait for the 6P to get cheaper? Or just give up and buy a S6?
>>
>>52862533
wait for the S7.
>>
>>52862837
The S7? The Samsung option was the last resort. I've heard that the build quality is awful and its full of bloatware.
>>
>>52862876
wait for s8 to be out
>>
>>52862225
Z5 Premium. Has access to 4k video, and I think a bit larger battery as well?

My friend has the regular Z5, I'm using the premium. We both have the gold coated backsides, however his is more matte than mine.

All in all, there's no reason NOT to get the Z5 Premium if you're thinking about getting an Xperia device. Avoid Samsung like the plague.
>>
>>52862920
Samsung devices actually have better build quality, so avoiding it like the plague is a bit far fetched. If anything, avoid sony
>>
>>52862959
What do you mean "devices"? in my own experience Sony has been a step ahead in build quality generally speaking (but I have not compared the very latest phones)
>>
To the guy that says
>unlock and flash CM asap
every time someone asks about G4:

why?

What is, besides LG UI being just ugly, so bad about G4 software that it NEEDS flashing a new ROM?

I'm G4 owner for a month, didn't even root it, and it works like a charm on 6.0, especially after recent update. I just installed Nova Prime for more customization and stock-like looks, and it's perfect.

Am I missing anything?
>>
>>52862959
Had an S6 Edge prior to my Z5 Premium.

The S6 Edge had:
- HORRIBLE battery life
- Shit camera
- No MicroSD card slot

Also, Samsung getting cucked so hard by Apple they're trying to replicate them in any way they can.

As I said, avoid Samsung.
>>
>>52863241
Can confirm shit camera. My friend is having S6 edge and we were both shooting some awesome night view, and my G4 was godlike compared to his S6. Samsung's camera software is garbage tier, while I could setup everything to make the photo look perfect.

Besides the nice looks, overall it's meh phone.
>>
>>52863302
My S4 camera was great, probs better than my Z3 I have right now; and most comparisons online suggest that the S6 has one of the best, if not the best camera atm - better than the Z5... I don't know what to believe anymore ;_;
>>
>>52863241
how's the battery life in Z5P?
>>
>>52859192
>>52859374
I prefer unlocked version.

OPX has low battery life.
>>
Is the moto x pure any good?
>>
>>52863334
youtube probably has phone comparison vids, some even show images taken by compared phones so you can make your own decision
>>
>>52863483
its an official /g/ virgin meme phone
>>
>>52863225
Hey, I have some questions about G4, if you would be so kind as to answer.
Does the screen have a visible blueish tint? Reviews say it has about 8000K color temperature, which seems pretty bad.
How's the audio quality?
Do you have any performance issues with more demanding apps (game sin particular)?
Does it heat a lot?
>>
>>52863334
Z5 camera is great pham, pretty major update on the processing from where you are
>>
>>52863371
For me, I charge every 1 & 1/2 days. And i have a long train commute of 3hrs per day so I use the music player while funposting on /a/
>>
Nexus 6P or 5X? Price to performance difference?
>>
>>52863559
>blueish tint
I didn't notice any, when looking at the phone close to my gf's galaxy s5, so I guess it's even less noticable when you don't compare it to any other screens.

>audio quality
Loud and clear, the speaker is just easy to accidentally cover while watching something

>performance issues
None. Everything is perfectly smooth.

>heat
Sometimes, yeah. It's not uncomfortable, but noticable. Mostly during heavy multitasking and high screen brightness, but it can even get warm when just surfing the internet on Chrome.

What's curious, it doesn't get hot while gaming. A little warm, yeah, but much more when doing above-mentioned things, not gaming.
>>
>>52863488
Yeah, I've been watching/reading a few comparisons and feel like the S6 wins most of the time.

>>52863589
I can definitely tell it is better than the Z3 but I still feel like it isn't as good as it should be. It seems like colours are washed out a lot of the time and that it has trouble focusing properly.
>>
Anyone with the LG G4, how is the screen for reading? I got a Nexus 4 and I might upgrade it the G4 with Tmobile this month or next.

I don't really play games on mobile devices. Most of my usage with my Nexus 4 is reading articles and some novels, along with checking stats with various apps for Eve Online.
>>
>>52859761
Had mine for a few months. I'm 6'6" and I wouldn't recommend it to someone with small hands. Great phone though.
>>
>>52863761
>galaxy s5
Hmm, this has 8000K as well. Thanks anyway. I guess it's not very visible once one gets used to it.
>Loud and clear, the speaker is just easy to accidentally cover while watching something
What about when listening through headphones?

Also, any other issues?
>>
>>52863929
I'm like 6'2 and have pretty big hands, I only played around with one in a store for like 3 minutes while waiting for a mate to come out of a different store.

But it was one of the tethered display units with this giant fucking thing on the back so I couldn't have a proper hold to see how it would fit, but I think it would be fine.

Is it water resistant or anything?
I work in a cafe and its already hot where I live, so I usually wear thin pants but when I am in the back cooking sweat from my leg just seeps through my pockets.
I mean I can just put it on a bench, and my current Galaxy S3 doesn't seem to have any problems with sweat so its not really an issue, but thought I might as well ask anyway...
>>
>>52863984
I might go for something more durable. This phone is fine under normal stresses but I wouldn't trust it with your job honestly. It's not a durable device.
>>
>>52864177
Hmmm, I really want it though...
Like I said I could just shelf it while in the kitchen, its not a huge issue...

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.
>>
File: 1447072860317.gif (2MB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
1447072860317.gif
2MB, 356x200px
>tfw not nexus 6p master race
>>
>>52864198
It's a great phone. If you have the cash you could just get nexus protect and not worry about it
>>
>>52862920
>>52863241
>>52863302
>majority of online reviews says s6 has good battery life and even dxomark says s6 has one of the best cameras
>z5 premiums ranks worse than s6 for battery life

spot the shill
>>
How can I make my Tmobile S5 not shit and slow?
>>
File: 1454910482362.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1454910482362.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>52864322

>tmobile
>>
What's the Sansa Clip (cheap, functional, durable, cheap as hell) of smartphones? I don't text or use my dumb phone a lot (I use a pay as you go plan) but would like to upgrade since a few apps like the Anki one look useful to use when on the bus.
>>
>>52864348
They got an unlimited data plan mane
>>
Why would anyone buy a phone now when in 6 months they are gonna have 4k displays and the snapdragon 820 not that shitty 810
>>
>>52864430
Why would you buy a phone in 6 months when in 6 months after that, theres going to 8k displays and snapdragon 830 and not shitty 820?
>>
>not using zenfone 2
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>52864365
I wouldn't say Sansa Clip+ is very durable (I have one).
Anyway, Nokia N900.
>>
File: oppo-r7s-1.jpg (35KB, 660x563px) Image search: [Google]
oppo-r7s-1.jpg
35KB, 660x563px
should I buy oppo r7s for $350?
will I regret it?
http://www.gsmarena.com/oppo_r7s-7669.php
>>
>>52864430
Uh, 4K and SD820 will be sooner. MWC will be in 2 weeks and those smartphones will be available soon after that.
>>
Alright /spg/, can I get an upgrade recommendation since I don't keep up with the progress of smartphones. Currently have a Droid HD Maxx and its age is showing
What my best option for a phone with a good camera (Still leaning Android)? I'd like to have a nice camera on my phone and I don't need much else out of it than basic smartphone stuff and being able to change the battery once in a while since I don't upgrade often.

The other day one of my brother's friends recorded a slow-motion video of him with his phone and I don't know what he used but damn do I want one that can film in slo-mo too
>>
>>52864950
meme G
zenmeme 2
meme6
onememe X
>>
File: a fucking leaf.gif (994KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
a fucking leaf.gif
994KB, 200x300px
>>52864964
Thank you for your insightful reply
>>
>>52865026
No problem john lemon
>>
Are screen protectors bullshit? I just ordered a 6p and want to keep it nice and safe. I also think I'm going to order one of those Speck cases for it, unless someone has a better suggestion.
>>
File: animugirl.jpg (56KB, 487x486px) Image search: [Google]
animugirl.jpg
56KB, 487x486px
>>52865196
Eh they work
Still feels weird still needing a case these days but i dont drop my phone
>>
>>52865258
Tempered glass or the plastic ones?
>>
>>52864950
From current phones, LG G4 is best for you.
>>
>>52865258
Yes but have you considered you haven't dropped your phone because your case has better grip
>>
>>52865449
i do have an S5 and its basically slip proof so i guess.
>>
Should I get an m4?
>>
>>52861088
financing your phone is a bad idea.

Take it from me. six months in if you decide you don't like it you can't sell it, and when the price of the phone inevitably goes down, you're stuck still paying the full amount.
>>
>>52861456
600-800 dollars.

buying them on release is a mistake. they ALWAYS drop in price.
>>
Have a lagdroid currently, HTC m8, would like to upgrade by the end of this year.

Any chance Windows phone will be good by then? Even a surface phone perhaps. I don't know about going for another Android because it will probably quickly turn lagdroid with updates that the phone can't handle.
>>
>>52865148
I'm in stitches. Never change anon, never change

>>52865373
Alright, thanks
>>
>>52865771
Just buy an iPhone I have an m8 and its becoming a piece of shit
>>
Are chinaphones just a meme?
i saw xiaomi redmi note 3 or some DOOGEE phones that look so good compared to other phones
>>
Okay, seriously, is there any relatively easy root for a Verizon galaxy s4 running 5.0.1? I just want muh kewl apps
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 604x438px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 604x438px
Hi /g/
looking for a phone on a budget (200-250$)
Important: -Battery life (currently have an iphone 4s and have to charge the POS every day with low usage)
-Music quality: Not sure about the difference in quality between phones but I listen to a lot of music
- I dont want it to lag AT ALL, want silky smooth transitions between simple apps like soundcloud, Dolphin browser and mail apps (and of course the GUI) . Norhing fancy coz I dont play on my phone.
-Dont want the phone to be huge. Same size as an older iphone or a bit bigger is perfect.
- I want it to be good performance wise as well so future patches dont fuck up the smoothness
Dont care about: - everything else.

Also I live in an eastern european shithole FYI But probably can get my hands on anything.

pls?
>>
>>52865699
But that means waiting a few months. Darn, should I just pull the trigger now?
>>
>>52859502
So glad this finally came out in the US.
I've been on the fence for the longest time debating whether or not to just buy an international one at the expense of no warranty, which I feel nervous about not having given the reports of the phone's self-cracking screen.

I think this phone's been out long enough, yet there doesn't seem to be widespread reports of how shitty it is.
I understand the 810 overheating meme, but that only seems to appear when doing dumb shit like recording in 4k.
I don't care about the lack of fingerprint sensor either. None of my phones before had them, why should it suddenly be a needed feature.

Also, having been on a Galaxy S3 for the past almost-3 years, I kind of enjoyed the process of unlocking it, and putting CM on it.
Along with putting a zerolemon battery in it, and not worry about battery for 3+ days of heavy use.

I really want to get this phone, but I'm still on the fence about self-cracking screens, how shoddily made it is in person, and the lack of expandable battery.
>>
>>52859502
Does the z5 compact have heat issues if you don't game on it at all? Seeing if I should wait for z6c or get z3c since it had the magnetic charging.
>>
>>52866656
Magnetic what?
>>
>>52866698
Magnetic charging port. On the side of phone. They did away with it but it worked well. Also saved wear and tear on the flaps which I really liked.
>>
>>52865771
>>52866045
Donno famo, i have an m8 too and i run stock android with elemental x kernel underclocked, undervolted and it's works fine never had a lag or a glitch
>>
So the Z5 just came out in the US, but it's debuting at $599.
How long will it be before it gets discounted on Amazon (their official phone seller, it looks like)?

Would it be best just to buy it from Expansys or Ebay or whatever considering it's already discounted on those sites (albeit no warranty, ugh)
>>
>>52866746
Clover may be lagging me up, it always crashes because floens didn't include a way to clear thread saves.
>>
Galaxy S4 i9505 here.
Should I stay on CM 12.1, upgrade to some CM 13 nightly build or switch ROM ?
>>
>>52859502
What's a affordable none Apple smartphone with a great camera?
Willing to sacrifice battery life and storage.
>>
>>52866569
lel yep.

sorry. If you wanna be smart you will always buy LAST years phones.

That means, if you want a 2016 phone, better get ready to wait a year.
>>
>>52866607
Get the US version nigga. Warranty>everything.
>>52866656
You get used to the heat. Though you should wait for the z6 familia.
>>
>>52861241
Most fingerprint scanners just unlock the phone. I have only heard of Huawei offering special fingerprint scanner features like that.

>>52862204
I'd get the Z5 over the S7 unless some serious changes have been made to shitty touchwiz. Z5 Premium is a meme, noone uses a 4K screen, not even Sony (everything is rendered at 1080p unless viewing 4K media).

>>52863225
Just personal preference, I hate LG's skin and think it is ugly and bloated.

>>52863645
You get better bang for your buck with the 5X, but the 6P is obviously better (and bigger).

>>52864687
>>52866320
I'd consider them if I was Australian/European and chinkphones supported my LTE bands.

>>52866499
If music quality is your biggest concern, I'd check out HTC. The A9 has an underpowered SoC but and overpowered DAC.

>>52866749
I'd get it from expansys so you get a model with a fingerprint scanner. You do trade having a warranty, but read up on their policy.

>>52866882
Best cameras according to DXOMark (camera benchmark site) are the Z5 and S6. I'd go with Z5 since it doesn't have touchwiz.

>>52866835
I'd try out CM13 nightly and see if it is stable enough. Worth it for Doze and app permissions.
>>
>>52866656
You'll probably have to wait for the Z7C in that case, they only release one every other generation

Also the Z5C doesn't have a flap for the charging port, I'm really looking forward to getting mine
>>
>>52867232
>Best cameras according to DXOMark (camera benchmark site) are the Z5 and S6
It's weird that the Z5 topped the charts when it released, but it's outperformed by the S6 in every comparison I've seen

...hold on, is this gonna be the year of 7? Z7, S7, iPhone 7
>>
File: 1396922114594.png (602KB, 963x720px) Image search: [Google]
1396922114594.png
602KB, 963x720px
>>52867342
>Z5 Camera
yeah I've heard it was disappointing so I'm intrigued that DXOMark says it is tied for best.

>year of the 7
Looks like it. Weird since this year ends with a 6, but I guess 2017 car models come out this year.
>>
>>52867342
>yet its 2016
gj
>>
>>52867390
God fucking damnit, who thought this would be a good idea? At least the 7S will get it right
>>
>>52866943
The problem is 2015 was a shit year. We got overheating 810 from Quallacomm, followed by slightly better 808, but with a shit GPU and ISP. HiSilicon and Mediatek's offers aren't serious and the only decent CPUs (Exynos) are Sammy-only, besides one chink called meizu pro 5.
>>
Is the 64 gb 6p the best phone I can buy for under $500? I'm also considering a moto x pure and z3+, but I'm buying into the fingerprint reader and marshmellow memes.
>>
File: motorola.png (321KB, 728x407px) Image search: [Google]
motorola.png
321KB, 728x407px
>>52867705
Totally worth it for those two features. Plus Motorola has been becoming shitty with updates since being bought by Lenovo, and Sony always lags behind with updates, although they eventually do get updates (generally).
>>
>>52867862
The size is the only thing stopping me from placing the order asap. Used to an M8, so it'll be a jump.

I'll be getting $150 back when I buy it, so that makes it easier to swallow.
>>
>>52867454
Eh, I like my LG G4.

But I only paid 200 for it. So... YEah, I guess if I was having to pay 600 I'd feel ripped off. At this price it just feels like an interim.

Guess we'll see how the 820 stacks up.

Gonna be a fun year.
>>
>>52867965
Yeah. 820 is 810 done right with 14nm process.
>>
Aright ya'll, So I am out of the loop of the root/rom scene since maybe 2013. Haven't really felt a need since the Moto X gave me near stock, which was always what I was after.

Anyways, I may want to root or rom my Nexus 5x, but I have questions:
>Does the camera quality tank?
>Is Adaway still around and does it work?
>Is Viper still around and does it work?
>Is Cyanogenmod still the top dog in the rom world?

Any help is appreciated.

Yes, I know I can lurk the XDA forums for a few days and get all these answers but those forums are shit senpai.
>>
File: nexus5x-fb.jpg (155KB, 1200x699px) Image search: [Google]
nexus5x-fb.jpg
155KB, 1200x699px
>>52867937
from what i hear, people get used to the size pretty quickly

i'm a manlet though, so I have a 5X.

>>52867965
cant wait for the 820, really stoked to see if HTC can pull out of this tailspin they've been on.

>>52868038
>Does the camera quality tank?
No, this is only a thing on the Z3 and possibly other Sony phones.
>Is Adaway still around and does it work?
Yes, works great.
>Is Viper still around and does it work?
Works but is probably placebo and drains battery.
>Is Cyanogenmod still the top dog in the rom world?
Yes, but with the 5X you're probably better off just running the stock ROM, rooting and installing Xposed modules for the functionality you want.
>>
Why do people buy phones w/o sd card slots or removable batteries? Why support this shitty meme?
>>
>>52868140
maybe not everyone need ton of space?
I think i would be golden with 32gb phone, as i currently have 16gb and havent ran out of it yet
(Altho i switch roms way too much)
>>
>>52868140
because SD cars are horribly slow, and when you install apps on it your phone starts lagging in general. But i agree, it's nice to have for media storage. Most phones have it, tho.

Removable batteries are not needed, since most of the flagships have quickcharge.
>>
>>52866499
Limited selection to:
>maximum 5.2" screen
>minimum 2GB RAM
>price range $179-$259 USD
>Battery Capacity minimum ~2500mAh

Can't guarantee any of these will have outstanding audio quality but they should get the job done. at the very least, these are the best quality and best reviewed of the selection pictured.
>OnePlus X
>Motorola Moto G
>Xiaomi Mi4i
below are 2-3 years old and would be preowned.
>Sony Xperia Z1
>Samsung Galaxy S4
>LG G2

most other phones in this list are just not a great phones in general.
>>
File: Capture.png (76KB, 1831x346px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
76KB, 1831x346px
>>52868659
forgot pic and link
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxMugiNgJ2qtWHViS2NyNFpwY1k
>>
File: dont bully.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dont bully.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
What's /g/'s veredict on the Moto X play?
I stopped researching phones about 2 years ago and this weekend I went to my phone service provider and found that moto finally released what looks like a moto X with expandable memory, which is what I've always wanted.
But I want to make sure it's that and it isn't missing features or is slower or something than the moto X(maybe 2nd gen?).
If any of you have researched it, do you know if it can be rooted and/or it's bootloader unlocked to allow roms?
>>
>>52868943
>Moto X play
Only issue i've heard is that with the 615 in it, it can sometimes lag. Pretty good phone if you can get it at a good price, I've heard that it gets excellent battery life. But it is a mid-range phone, so keep that in mind if you're expecting a flagship.

Motorola is generally good with close to stock software, unlockable bootloaders, and rootability. However, some carrier models don't allow you to tinker with it.
>>
>>52868659
>OnePlus X
Shit quality control and warranty, so expect to get dead pixels and tinted panels without RMA
>Moto G
Overpriced for specs other than the RAM
>Xiaomi Mi4i
Rootable without loss of warranty with dev rom. What's the catch? Chinese botnet? It's probably a pain to buy too.
>>
Was at a bell store and finally got to take a look at the 6p and damn is the screen ever beautiful. The only issue I have is that I'm a tiny dude and the phone felt a little cumbersome so I don't know if I could easily carry it on my person. Is there a smaller phone out there that would have a display as good as the nexus and doesn't feel cheap?
>>
Anyone have the S5 Active? Is it really waterproof?

My living arrangement atm doesn't afford me much privacy, but there are a lot of shelves in the shower, so I thought I could just set the phone on there and jerk off when I shower.

Would that work? Is it just a meme or can it actually take the abuse?
>>
>>52869290
quick note on using phones in the water, shower specifically. It doesn't work.
>source: I have an Xperia Z3

If you try using the screen at all in the shower, the digitizer loses its mind. probably has something to do with it not being able to detect where your natural static charge is coming from. it picks it up everywhere.

maybe if you were completely submerged in water it would work, but definitely not with the millions of droplets hitting it at once.

and the Active line is definitely WaterPROOF if i'm not mistaken. 6ft for 30min?

I know the standard S5 is only WaterRESISTANT and can only handle splashes or a walk through the rain.
>>
File: azusa phone.png (219KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
azusa phone.png
219KB, 400x323px
>>52869199
Well if you're looking for a smaller 1440p AMOLED screen you'd have to look at the S6. However I don't think it's worth it due to touchwiz.

The 5X has a good display with very accurate colours (some people complained about yellow screens which is a defect, but whites do look more yellow than on a typical blue phone screen.) It's "only" 1080p but it looks great for the size, and won't drain your battery as much. Also the phone is made of plastic, so you might think it feels cheap. It's available on contract from Bell but only in the 16GB variant, which isn't really enough in current year.

The Z5 has a fairly good screen, and the Z5C is nice if you're looking for a really small phone. Only the Z5 and the Z5 Premium (with meme 4K screen that runs at 1080p 90% of the time) is available on contract at Bell.

The HTC One A9 has a nice AMOLED screen and is made of metal so you'd probably like the build, but the screen is also "only" 1080p. It also has a 617 in it, and as such is rather expensive for what you get. For instance you could get a Z5C for the same price as the 16GB A9. Also of note, the bands supported by the (presumably Asian model) A9s sold on Expansys don't have key bands used by Bell/Telus/Rogers (notably band 4) so you might be stuck with HSPA+ most of the time.
>>
Literally just got home with my LGV10.

Still trying to figure things out, but in my brief time, things seem pretty legit. I think having big hands will help.
>>
>>52869839
Why did you pick the LG V10 over the G4?
>>
>>52869020
Thank you.
My current phone is a 1st gen moto g and the one before it was a razr i so I think it'll be a nice upgrade nonetheless.
>>
>>52870027
I wanted the fingerprint scanner and the second screen is intriguing, and I've heard decent things about it.
>>
>>52870384
That's another thing I miss about the s6. Fingerprint.

Second screen seems like a useless gimmick though.
>>
>>52870460
Fingerprint scanner is so incredibly useful I don't see myself buying another phone that doesn't include it. Only downside is that cops can use your prints to unlock the phone, but I hopefully will never have reason to be in such a situation.
>>
>>52870460
It seemed a bit like a meme screen, but someone I've spoken to hear has gotten good use from it, and I wanted to judge for myself how useful it is.
>>
gonna get a htc m10 when it comes out. wanted to get a nexus but considering how bad the last one.
still using the iphone4 from ages ago haven't had any other phone for that long
>>
>>52870754
Nothing wrong with the latest Nexus devices, HTC on the other hand has gone full retard and ruined their flagship
>>
>>52870811
it was suppose to be a cheap device with high end spec like the previous one but then they went full retard and made a high end device with a huge screen.
>>
>>52870754
Wait to see if the m10 actually is worth a shit.Give it like...two months anon.
>>
File: liv-tyler-600x450.jpg (58KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
liv-tyler-600x450.jpg
58KB, 600x450px
>>52867232
>>52868659
thank you :) gonna check these out for sure
have my waifu as a token of my gratitude
>>
Anyone else fall out of the rooting and roms scene? Used to download that shit like candy on my old Galaxy Nexus but my 6P I have left stock and unrooted. Just don't need it anymore really.

Doesn't help XDA was taken over by Chinese and Indians who go crazy if they don't flash the latest Euphoria Remix XxDEODEXEDXx zipaligned bugged up bullshit.
>>
What is the best method to use remote desktop PC to Android? Preferably one that isnt a proprietary botnet(teamviewer)
>>
>>52869657
Thanks, I'll have to take a closer look into the z5 but I've heard some bad things. Maybe I'll end up getting the 6p regardless if nothing shows up at MWC but it really looks like a nice phone
>>
>>52870864
Yeah okay, if that's what the word bad means to you. The Nexus program definitely has taken a turn for the worse in that regard
>>
>Poweramp is incompatible with the meme screen

Irksome, but I think I can work around it.
>>
>>52870971
The lg G5 might be in your area
>>
>>52870754
>>52870811
>>52870874
I'm really interested in the Perfume / M10

We should see an announcement sometimes shortly after MWC so at the end of the month thereabouts. They really need to pull off something special to save their brand. There's also rumours that HTC is making the new 2016 Nexus devices which should also be something to keep an eye on.
>>
I'm an unfortunate Britbong stuck with shitty electronics prices.

Shitty as in, for alot of devices, just replace that dollar sign with a pound £ sign and enjoy getting bent over and loved not-so-tenderly.

Right now, on contract the nexus 6P is a couple of £ more expensive per month than the S6, and the S6 is a couple of £ more expensive than the Z5.

Is the 6P actually of more value and a better phone than the S6 to justify being more expensive here, or in the States is it one of those "this is a superb superb vanilla handset - for the price."
Thanks anon-senpais
>>
Should I get the Nexus 6p 32 GB gold for 449 or a 64 GB one for 549?
>>
>>52872232
Depends entirely on how much storage you typically use
>>
>>52872127
6P is the best phone you can buy period, provided you like phablets. It is light years ahead of the S6, but if you can get a Z5 for significantly less it might be worth it. I know they recently reduced the price of the 5X in Europe making it more competitive, dunno if they've also done similar with the 6P in Bongland.

>>52872232
Is (more than) double the storage worth $100 to you? It all depends on your budget and use case. There's no going back and adding more storage, so consider your choice carefully.

I'm using the 5X @ 32GB and find it roomy enough me. I have about 10GB of audio and ~6GB of Mongolian moving pictures. I'd of course prefer more, but streaming is all right for stuff I don't store on the device.
>>
>>52872232
You can get a 64 gb one for $500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875606073
>>
How's the G3 compared to the G2?

The internal memory on my G2 isn't cutting it anymore so I need an SD slot, but I really don't like the Galaxy S line.

Is the G3 worse than the G2 in any ways? Any notable issues?
>>
Windows 10 Mobile is starting to look pretty interesting, but the anaemic app support is troubling.

Continuum looks pretty amazing too, though i can't see many situations that i'd use it in.
>>
>>52872333
You're a hero, anon, thank you from >>52872127

Does the Z5 (non compact since I have spindly witch-fingers) have any issues? I've heard of glass cracks and overheating, any truth to that or other flaws?

Would you say it's not worth waiting for the to-be-announced S7/Note 6 and it'll be super expensive anyway?
>>
>>52872358
Continuum is a gimmick. Would you buy a Surface RT so you can run Windows Store Apps?

No. You would want to run x86 applications like Hexchat and Photoshop and pretty much any decent program. These are not available on ARM Windows (aka Windows RT).

Nobody bought the Surface RT because the apps are shit and the Windows Store is filled with spam and garbage. The whole point of Windows is running legacy applications and games, neither of which you can do with Continuum/RT.

>>52872414
Has the 810 in it, which is a beast but can overheat, but only when doing intensive things like filming 40 minutes of 4k video. The Z3 back was notorious for cracked back plates, but I have no idea if they have fixed this with teh Z5.

Another thing with the Z5 is apparently the fingerprint scanner (huge selling point) is underperforming (they actually removed it for the US release). I've heard some anons trash it for this and other issues, but I don't have one myself so I can't really tell you if this is true.

Do you have a decent phone right now? If so, I would wait until MWC and the announcements after it to see what is announced, plus you might get a discount on currently available phones when the successor models are released. Might be worth waiting and getting a phone with a Snapdragon 820 in it, especially if it fixes all the issues with the 810.
>>
Just how bad is the snapdragon 810? Is it worth skipping all phones with it?
>>
>>52863645
5X is not good bang for the buck, but the 6P is. 6P is obviously much more expensive, though.
>>
hi /g/, i've never been here before but had a question. i found pic related on the ground, it has tmobile service and i have sprint, is there any reset code or anything to where i can unlock it and use it?

thank you for any responses
>>
>>52873504
About the self-cracking screen/back. Would buying a good quality screen protector (like one of those Zagg ones or the ones that have the pictures hammers and shit beating the screen) prevent the crack issue from happening?
Essentially just holding the thing together
>>
File: anco feel.png (49KB, 645x825px) Image search: [Google]
anco feel.png
49KB, 645x825px
is 32gb cuck tier for a phone? I want the 6p but $500 is my budget, and the 64gb gold phone is out of stock
>>
>>52873796
give it back you thieving nigger
>>
>>52873931
should be sufficient unless you have a lot of anime you need to keep at your fingertips 24/7.
>>
>>52873931
Just wait bb no need to rush
>>
>>52873932
it's actually not me, i'm asking for someone else.. and she is a stripper so there's a chance it is stolen lol but i'm thinking that some drunk customer just dropped it as they were leaving the club one night
>>
>>52874020
nice try buddy. Just tell your mom to drop it off at the lost and found next time she goes to work
>>
>>52873796
i googled how to unlock it, so i guess i'm basically just asking you guys if there's a way to get a free unlock code?

>>52874092
are you implying that my mom is the stripper? and i do agree the lost and found would be the best but what are you gonna do?
>>
what's a good snes emulator for android?
>>
I'm a bit of a dumb ass, and am struggling with xposed. What version would I download on my moto g 4g? Do I just get the apk and install it? Also, how do I use modules that are from online (as in downloaded from a browser)?
>>
Help please
Should I buy:
- Xperia m4 aqua
- Moto g 3rd gen
- Moto g 3rd gen Turbo

Im worried of buying the turbo and missing out on cyanogenmod later..
>>
A relative gave me a Samsung J7 to change my old phone, did I got shafted with a shitbox or is it decent?
>>
Does an android browser actually exist that isn't either shit or abandoned by the developer?
>>
>>52868659
Is there any other competitor to one plus X? I've been thinking buying it because I need dual sim.

Maybe even other chinese phones would do.
>>
>>52873504
>Do you have a decent phone right now? If so, I would wait until MWC and the announcements after it to see what is announced, plus you might get a discount on currently available phones when the successor models are released. Might be worth waiting and getting a phone with a Snapdragon 820 in it, especially if it fixes all the issues with the 810.

That is an excellent idea, thank you very much anon for your great help and patience answering my questions. I'm using a dying nokia lumia 735, hope it can hold on till MWC
>>
>>52874861
It's decent.

>gave
Shit was free nigga, you didn't get shafted for shit. You must be 18 to post on this forum.
>>
>>52875284
Its just that they were tired of my decolored RAZR, care to recommend a ROM for the J7?
>>
>>52875026
>>52873504

820 is gonna be what the 810 should've been, meanwhile Samshit has had two full years to perfect the finFET process on their SoC.

Gonna be another year of Exynos domination but it doesn't even matter any more. Phones are hitting the same plateau desk top computers hit 8 years ago. Diminishing returns are a bitch.

There's virtually no difference in general user experience between the 808 and the Exynos 7420 in the Galaxy s6.

Honestly if Samshit could just change a few key things they would be god tier. Hoping the s7 delivers, but I'm not holding my breath.

Got my eye close on that HTC one m10 ...

GOnna be an interesting MWC.
>>
>>52873931

Newegg has the 64gb gold on sale, you can get it there.
>>
Where does the love for the Sony Z series from? I thought their phones were supposed to be shit, but I see a lot of love for them in these threads, especially the compact.
>>
Thoughts on the Huawei Mate 8?

Huge battery, basically all the features of the 6P and a little extra for a little bit more.
>>
File: phones.jpg (464KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
phones.jpg
464KB, 4032x3024px
i own a note 4 and 6s+ AMA :^)
>>
>>52876415
If you're fine with the size, and it works in your country, and you don't mind never getting updates, then have at it
>>
>>52876538
Isn't it already on 6.0?
>>
Still waiting for an Xperia Z5 Ultra (6"+)
>>
ok it seems that the nexus 6p is pretty well respected here, but whats better? note 5 or 6p? purchasing a new phone after nexus 6 died
>>
>>52875442
Yeah I can't wait for MWC and HTC's announcement after that. Hopefully this year is better for phones than 2015.

>>52876119
Z*C series is the only small phone that doesn't sacrifice performance for a smaller device. Sony's skin is also a lot better and less bloated than Touchwiz or LG UI.

>>52876718
I'd go 6P unless you absolutely need a stylus. Touchwiz is still to be avoided, despite reports of it being "much better" it's still shit.
>>
File: 2zdp3z9.jpg (70KB, 539x848px) Image search: [Google]
2zdp3z9.jpg
70KB, 539x848px
I'm currently on the WP train and want to get off. I would like something that isn't that much of a botnet phone. I have issues with google and how much they track you.

What would be the best way to enjoy android's freedom and functionality without giving all my info to the overmind?

I've done some reading and see that a custom rom (like CM) with modded/ without gapps seems like the best method. But I'm still not too sure.
>>
>>52876740

gsmarena says that headphone audio is pretty bad, I listen to alot of music through my phone via bluetooth, would i be better off with the note 5 for the audio even if its thru bluetooth
>>
>>52876880
If you're going to get a Note, wait for the Note 6. No use getting something without an SD card slot especially if you're going to store music on it.
>>
>>52859615
Sony Xperia Pro
Samsung Captivate Glide
Samsung Relay 4G
>>
>>52876119
Sony doesn't pay due attention to the US market
This is a US centric board
People hate what they cant have
This is the way I see it

Sony does fuck up every now and then though, but the Z series got a bunch of things right and there's a healthy dose of development for sony devices on xda
>>
>>52872414

For what it's worth I have to get a new phone after a year with my Z3C
The overheat is not that bad, but I'm fucking done with glass back panel.
It looks great, sure. But either you go naked and leave it prone to cracking, or put a case on it and lose the aesthetic purposes.
It's a shame since Sony is one of the last few companies that makes flagship phone with less than 5.5" screen
>>
>>52877158
>People hate what they cant have
I'm American and I don't use carrier contracts so it's a non-issue for me. My people should stop slaving themselves to contracts which greatly limit their phone choices.
>>
>>52877207
My friends often apply a sheet of tempered glass on top of the glass back. It doesnt ruin it's looks (as much as a case does) and takes some of the fall damage, should you ever drop it.
>>
Does anyone else consider reversed nav keys (eg recents-home-back instead of back-home-recents) enough of a reason to avoid buying a specific phone and/or brand?

Fuck samsung and a dozen of chinese OEMs, right?
>>
is buying a 2nd gen moto g a bad idea?

im poor as fuck and i need to buy a new unlocked phone halp
>>
been having trouble with saving pics on my phone lately.

the download arrow in the notification bar doesn't go white when I save a pic but stays greyed.

I check my file manager and the pic is there but it doesn't show up in my gallery app. what's up with that?
>>
>>52877586
buy a used nexus 4 instead
>>
File: Screenshot_719.png (796KB, 531x873px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_719.png
796KB, 531x873px
>>52868086
>Viper
>Placebo

Its just an Eq in steroids, although it does a damm God job.
>>
File: 1454961446945.jpg (1MB, 1275x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1454961446945.jpg
1MB, 1275x1440px
What's a cheap GSM phone I can use to get around tethering limits on an otherwise unlimited T-Mobile plan? I'm headed to a conference and they sprung for the cheaper hotel this time. LTE preferred, removable/extended battery just a plus.
>>
How do americans deal with carriers like verizon forcing their shitty locked down OS and brand on phones they didnt even make? Seriously if someone did that I'd change immediately
>>
is an iphone 6s or galaxy s6 worth upgrading from a iphone 4s?
>>
>>52878032
I would say so, for sure. 4S is pretty dang old now, and iOS updates make older phones shit the bed usually.
>>
Ubuntu phone or no?
>>
>>52878032
That's a relic. Pretty much any phone would be an upgrade from that, especially if you've updated to iOS9 and are experiencing lag. You don't even have LTE.

iPhones leave you trapped in a walled garden. S6 is filled with bloat called Touchwiz. You can do MUCH better than Samsung and Apple.

>>52877704
I'm not familiar with T-Mobile tethering but you'd likely want something with an unlockable bootloader so you can modify it to enable tethering. Cheap phone? Maybe the Moto G (16GB/2GB RAM). Again I don't know how to enable tethering since I don't have a provider who gives me "unlimited" data and then restricts it.

>>52876880
Sounds like audiophile whining, it's probably fine. Get an HTC A9 if headphone audio is your main concern (you'll sacrifice a lot for it though). IDK why you care so much if you're using bluetooth though. If you really want the Note 5 go for it, but I sure hope the S-Pen is worth the frustrations of Touchwiz.

>>52877739
I wouldn't put up with it. Then again the only phone I have got from a carrier was the Nexus 5 and it was exactly like the one from the Google store. Wasn't even locked to my provider.

>>52877604
Can't really help you without knowing what phone you have, what app you are using to download the picture, etc. Your gallery app (gallery app from your OEM? Google Photos? Third party?) should have an option to view device folders, and it probably isn't looking in your download folder.

>>52877568
Back button on the right drives me crazy. Will never buy a Samsung phone for this and many other reasons. I personally don't like off-screen buttons in any case, much less when they're reversed.

>>52878220
Perpetually 6 months away from being ready. If Microsoft can't make a viable mobile OS I doubt Ubuntu can.
>>
>>52878247T-Mo
Neato. Gen 1 LTE the only one with LTE? And you're right, as much as I want to like them, they're fixing to get hit hard with net neutrality especially after their free music/video streaming thing.
>>
>>52878314
I think only the 3rd Gen has LTE, but I could be wrong. GSMArena shows no LTE for the 1st and 2nd generation Moto Gs. You can also get the 16GB variant with 2GB of RAM, which is the recommended Moto G to get.

I'd also consider the Nexus 5 (2013). Can be had for under $200 and is still a very capable phone albeit with somewhat poor battery life. I found a guide for getting unlimited T-Mobile tethering, just requires root and editing an sql file on the phone.
>>
Reposting >>52877697
>>
>>52876831
You cannot escape the botnet with a smartphone at all. Either live with it, or don't use a cellphone like RMS. There is no in-between.
>>
>>52878370
Thanks, anon. You've been swell.
>>
Tempered glass or plastic screen protector?
>>
>>52868513
>Removable batteries are not needed, since most of the flagships have quickcharge.
It's not about swapping, it's about replacement when the original one dies.
>>
>>52876831
You can at least avoid googles datamining if you don't flash gapps. Get a cyanogenos phone and flash cm without gapps. Or you look up the cm webpage and check which phones have support and buy one of them on eBay for example.
>>
>>52878618
Tampered glass. I am using one right now.
>>
whats a good verizon phone thats $100-200?

main things im looking for are build quality, ability to root, and battery life.
was thinking of getting an m8, or a moto x, but i cant decide if getting a newer budget phone might be a better idea
>>
How can I be anonymous using my android device?
Lets say, I will buy cheap phone and change the device IDs to random IDs. I will change MAC address, use fake gmail address, use proxy+tor and use public WiFi. Can anyone still identify me?
>>
LG G4 or HTC One M9?
>>
Dropped my SGN3 and smashed the screen, cbf repairing it

>please provide your carrier
vodafone, but any unlocked phone will do
>your budget
$2000 IDGAF
>what country you live in
Australia
>and what features are important to you
screen as big or bigger than SGN3, prefer not to get another samsung, prefer a brand that provides android updates and a tolerable stock image, thinking of getting a Huawei P8 Max.
>>
File: 1422073574285.png (990KB, 702x525px) Image search: [Google]
1422073574285.png
990KB, 702x525px
Tfw still waiting for a smartphone with physical t9 keyboard
>>
>>52879939
Nexus 6p i guess.
>>
>>52879880
G4 of course. M9 is the pile of garbage.
>>
>>52879939
6p man, updates role out quick cause its googles own phone, its got a 5.7 inch screen, its stock android and its fuckin beautiful.
>>
So ive had an S4 since October 2013 and it's time to change. I've already paid for an s6 edge+ but I'm having second thoughts and they haven't even shipped it yet.

I'm really out of the game desu, what other contenders are there that I should consider instead?
>>
>>52880505
What do you want from your phone ?
>>
>>52880547
I mostly use it to browse, take pictures and non intensive apps. Id like a good battery life cause as of now I'm 5 hours I'm down 50%. generally I'd like a strong phone that'll last me 2 years or so.
>>
>>52880597
5 h standby or what ?
If you want a good battery life then I'd suggest a Sony phone. But keep in mind that those newer flagships have a non removable battery. You could also get a lg G3/4 and buy a huge 6000 may battery.
>>
>>52880633
usage. browsing only. so you'd recommend the z5 premium?

I've also noticed from just this thread that you guys like the 6p a lot. how's that one?
>>
>>52880667
5h sot is quite good IMO.
If you have the money to spare and want that 4k gimmick screen. Then go ahead and get the premium. Normal z5 is good too.
6p is /g/s phablet. Since its a nexus phone it gets fast updates. And people say that the build quality is good too.
>>
>>52880459
M9 supposedly has much better audio and has memedragon 810.
>>
Has anything usurped the Moto G as the best budget (non-chinese) smartphone?
>>
>>52880969
Moto G is overpriced for its specs, even if it's good
>>
>>52880969
When people are talking here about moto g, are they referring to this? http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_%283rd_gen%29-7247.php
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-10-18-46-39.png (455KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-10-18-46-39.png
455KB, 480x854px
I'm considering going back to stock 4.2 jelly bean from 5.1.1

I don't feel like the lost battery life and functionality is worth it. The camera on CM is fucking awful - the photos are not just bad - I can't configure the metering modes, can't take videos, software OIS is gone, I can't take HDR photos..

Lollipop is nice and all, but it's not worth it for me.
>>
>>52881130
Sounds lamentable, what phone?
>>
>>52881056
yes
>>
>>52881130
then buy something with 6.0 and enjoy infinite battery life
>>
>>52880848
>trading everything else for slightly better audio experience
>being retarded
>>
>>52882061
Yeah sounds rather sad.

I rolled back to kitkat because of performance, battery life and camera features, which was a joke on cm12.1

Cant go back to stock though, ICS doesnt cut it anymore.
>>
>>52882245
What am I trading besides replaceable battery?
>>
>>52882405
shit camera
shit screen
shit screen-to-body ratio
shit software
shit battery
>>
Should I wait for MWC16 and get whatever phablet that looks decent then? Or should I buy the V10 now?
>>
>>52882921
mwc16 means new phones. new phones means new competitors in the phablet area. So lg may or may not lower the price.

it's always better to wait with an upcoming event like this.
>>
>>52882856
How is the screen or software shit?
>>
>>52859502
Best phone, new or otherwise that I can pick up for less than $200 USD?
>>
>>52883043
This is /g/. Everything that isn't stock android or an iphone sucks m8.

The camera sucks major balls though. In different reviews they said that htc is somehow too stupid to create software that processes the raw images correctly (for general usage it's okay I guess. I wouldn't complain). If the images really suck you can actually save them as raw files and process them later on with a different software.

>>52883089
Blu one x? No idea how that phone performs. /g/ was shilling it a while ago.
>>
Anyone know what phone is this?
https://youtu.be/c34LmSDSWVI?t=4m12s
>>
>>52882227
Are the battery life improvements on 6.0 that good?

Just got an LG G4, can't fucking wait for 6.0
>>
Picked up a K3 Note because I'm a cheap ass and my old phone is garbage. Is there a way to get an app drawer or standard Android GUI on this thing?
>>
So, come April I'll be able to upgrade to a new phone for $0 down with T-Mobile. When I went into the store I looked at the LGV10, the newest note, and the S6. I was a bit turned off by the lack of a removable battery and no SD cards on the Samsung phones, and have had nothing but bad experiences with LG phones. What phone would you recommend for someone who is into photography, reading comics, and prefers larger phones?

Should I even upgrade immediately like that, or will something else come out in April?
>>
>>52883253
I have G4 too, and at first the battery life on 6.0 was... disappointing, given the whole doze thing.

But hell, after recent another software update it's just godlike.
>>
>>52883389
T-mobile promises the update will drop "Very soon"
>>
>>52880298
007sh, k-shf31, k-shf32, sh-06g, 504sh, f-05g, lg ice cream/wine, samsung galaxy folder and so on.
>>
Is the Moto X 2014 still worth buying?
>>
Christ, this thing looks fucking awful. I don't usually care THAT much about how my phone looks, but I had honestly planned to get an S7 and this fisher-price bullshit really puts me off it. Guess I'm going for a Nexus 5X.
>>
File: s7back.jpg (98KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
s7back.jpg
98KB, 960x720px
>>52884545
Forgot picture.
>>
>>52883129
Cool, thanks. I guess I'll wait to march and then get either LG G4 (hopefully cheaper) or something new like G5.
>>
File: 1419154430005.jpg (56KB, 700x565px) Image search: [Google]
1419154430005.jpg
56KB, 700x565px
>my hand is 18 cm long
>average 5.5" screen phone is 15-16 cm long

ITS NOT FAIR
>>
How does one get updates from the manufacturer? Can one get them via wifi, or do you need cellular network?
>>
>>52883129
I tried a BLU Life One X for all of a day before I returned it. Huge piece of shit; first impressions of build quality are actually pretty good but the performance lags unacceptably even for a $100 phone and when you try to use headphones there's a constant background hiss. I heard it very strongly while connecting it to my car with an AUX cable.
>>
>>52884883
>>52883129
>>52883089

alright, then your best bet would be a used phone. Flagships from 2013 are still good imo. Many have Cyanogenmod Support which is practically vanilla android with a few tweaks here and there (and a shit camera app)
>>
>>52884931
Honestly less than $200, I'd just pick up a used 2014 flagship on Swappa. If you're patient you can probably score a decent condition Galaxy S5 for 190-210, which should do just fine.
>>
>>52884947
>flagship from 2014
I have no idea how the prices in the US are desu. S4 for example still costs about 250 Eurobucks refurbished, 160 used on ebay.
>>
>>52884931
Isn't there a third-party camera app that's good?
>>
i bought a 6p and i hate the visor and how bendy it is

someone pls call me retarded for wanting to buy an honor 5x i shouldn't buy another chink phone
>>
>>52884993
Don't know. I don't care that much about the camera desu.
>>
>>52885251
I'm asking, cause on N900 the camera app is pretty basic, but in the repository you have 2 better ones (with manual controls and HDR).
>>
>>52884826
both, but better wifi since cellular is mostly limited
>>
>>52885247
I had the same problem. I hate feeling like I have to baby a phone and I hated the idea that you couldn't replace anything easily (look at the iFixit teardown; if you try and open it up, 9/10 times the screen or visor will shatter), so basically when the battery starts to go or you drop it, that's it, you're fucked.

For these reasons I returned it. Beautiful phone, just...
>>
>>52885354
Forgot to mention: for this reason I downgraded to a 5X. Same benefits of Google stock etc, but the battery is SUPER easy to replace (I mean not as easy as a Samsung but you basically just pop off the back and unscrew a few things and there's the battery)
>>
>>52885385
>not as easy as samsung
you talking about the s4 and s5, right? because replacing the battery from the s6 requires a hairdryer to heat up all that fucking glue. Fuck glue man.
>>
>>52885512
Yeah, that's what I mean. Samsung phones before they were neutered.
>>
>>52885247
>Bendy
What the fuck are people doing to their phones?
I feel like the 6P is one of the more sturdier phones I have owned, yet there seems to be quite a few people complaining about it bending.

Was there a manufacturing error or something?
>>
File: sizes.jpg (469KB, 1206x780px) Image search: [Google]
sizes.jpg
469KB, 1206x780px
>>52885247
>honor 5x

Nice fingerprint scanner, and the US version has all the proper LTE bands that I would need. However, it only has a 615 in it, which would be a significant downgrade from the 6P's 810 or even an 808. The Moto X Play has a 615 and mostly stock Android, and I've heard reports of lag. Plus you're giving up fast updates, the Honor 5X is still on 5.1 with a weird skin on top.

Just on a personal note, I find 5.5" too big. That's part of the reason i sold the Zenfone 2 and got a Nexus 5X instead, that .3" makes all the difference, although I wouldn't mind an even smaller phone (thinking of swapping for a Z5C).

>>52885385
Yeah I'm stoked that it should be really easy to replace the battery in a couple years when I need to.

>>52884826
Basically they release the update, your carrier (if you bought it through them) tests the update and adds several months before you see it, then you get a notification on your phone to download the update via wifi (preferred) or data.

On a Nexus device you can just download the zip of the update and flash it the day they release it, or you can wait for an OTA notification. I can't do OTA because I have a custom recovery and am rooted and stuff.

>>52885829
probably just repeating the meme from Bane using all his strength and bending the phone for youtube views. I'd be hella surprised if it bent at all during normal use.
>>
>>52885975
What if I didn't bought through a carrier (pre-paid)?
>>
>>52885975
>Z5c
looks so goddamn comfy. But once again not even remotely user replacable battery because that thing uses glue just like the s6. it's a shame, really.

>inb4 autism
>>
>>52886034
That eliminates the carrier delay in getting updates, so you generally get updates as soon as they are available from the OEM. Nexus gets updates ASAP and for at least two years (three for security patches), Sony tends to lag a few months behind but generally gets updates. OEMs like Samsung that use tons of modifications on vanilla Android take much longer to receive updates, since the skin must be updated as well. Cheap phones tend to get no updates at all, and it isn't unusual to see them still stuck on kitkat.

>>52886090
Yeah it's something to consider when getting a phone. I haven't had to replace a battery on a phone yet, but the longest I've used a phone with a non-swappable battery was two years.
>>
>>52886128
>Yeah it's something to consider when getting a phone.

The battery from my zr completely started to shit itself (sudden 10% drops and so on). Ordered a new one online and replaced it. Imagine using a htc m8 where the motherboard is glued to the battery. No chance of replacing that shitnugget on your own.
>>
>>52886128
The manufacturer that interests me is LG.
If I don't get update via wifi, I'm guessing I could find one on the net, correct?

How about CM, does that get updates regularly when I install it?
>>
I'm probably in need of a new phone, because my Nexus 5 got bricked by some retards changing the battery
What do you guys recommend as good phones, not worse/older than LG G3
As far I've gathered LG G3, G4 and Nexus 5X
Do you guys have any other suggestions/recommendations ? Really liked stock android on my Nexus 5, but I guess I could live without it if other phones are better in some other regards
>>
>>52886247
It usually takes a while until the updates reach every phone from the manufacturer. My sony got lollipop 5.1.1 in september last year (at least that was when sony started to roll out the updates) but I didn't get the update until november I think.

>cyanogenmod
You get nightly builds, usually a update every 2 days altough I only update once a month for the security updates.
>>
>>52861773
Moto G 2nd gen? I see those on sale for about $99 everywhere. Slight step up, more active ROM development, slightly better camera, etc.
>>
>>52886128
>>52886183
To be honest, the only thing I ever used a removable battery for was instantly turning off the device
>>
>>52886300
Does cm provide updates for a device for a long time, or do they quickly drop devices?
>>
File: sizes2.png (543KB, 813x734px) Image search: [Google]
sizes2.png
543KB, 813x734px
>>52886247
CM gets updates pretty quickly after new versions of Android is released. You'll start to see new nightly versions of the new version of CM which eventually become stable versions. The Nightly versions are generally OK for using as a daily driver, but can have bugs. You also get a near-vanilla version of Android, unlike LG's customized version.

What LG phone do you have? If it's cheaper, sometimes you can't even unlock the bootloader to be able to flash CM, and it might not get updates. Even if the bootloader is locked, you can sometimes still flash official ROMs.

>>52886183
Yeah glued in batteries sound like a nightmare.

>>52886271
I'd consider the G4 and the 5X. You can get stock Android on the G4 if you unlock the bootloader (which you can't do on some carrier models iirc). Personally I'm using the 5X and enjoying it, stock with root and Xposed modules for tweaks like Gravitybox and Youtube background/adaway.

The G4 is ever so slightly taller and a bit wider than the 5X, but you do get a larger screen. Again 5.5" is too big for me, but 5.2" is workable.

>>52886323
Good if you're paranoid, but if you are truly paranoid you wouldn't own a phone, like rms.
>>
>>52886271
G4 is officially supported by CM, so you can get stock on it. But you need H815 (EMEA) version, because only that allows to unlock the bootloader.
>>
>>52886345
cm is communitydriven. It'll get updates as long as the community decides they want to support it.

Samsung galaxy s3 for example already has cm 13 (aka android 6.0) and it's almost 4 years old I think. Check out the cyanogenmod website to see which devices are supported if you are interested.
>>
>>52864365
Moto E.
>>
>>52886351
>near-vanilla
How does CM differ from vanilla?
>What LG phone do you have?
None yet, I'm considering G4, or maybe G5 after release.
>>
>>52886351
>>52886368
How does 5X compare to G4 ? Because 5X is noticeably cheaper than G4, yet lacks removable battery and card slot
I'm too stupid/lazy to learn how to root and all that shit, so Nexus was perfect for me in that regard(battery and storage was shit though)
So far I haven't found any comparable phones, but I'm still considering G3, because it's also considerably cheaper than 5X, at least where I live
Carriers usually don't fuck us over here, maybe only on iPhones, but I have no interest in that
>>
>>52869530
>>52869290
Any phone + ziploc bag. They sell bags just for waterproofing, but a ziplock is enough. Start the flick and fap your balls dry.
>>
>>52886417
CM adds a few tweaks, like an easy root in the developer menu and a couple other misc features, such as additional options for stuff like the status bar, an equalizer, options for tweaking the kernel governor (the speed at which the processor runs), screen calibration, gestures...

>>52886457
Pretty similar devices, although the G4 has an extra GB of RAM and removable battery and SD card slot. It's also slightly bigger with a larger screen. See the image above. >>52886351

I hear the G3 has some performance issues with the 801 SoC and a 1440p screen, but it sounds like a decent phone still. You might also consider the OnePlus X, which is usually significantly cheaper. OPX also has the 801, but it's only driving a 1080p AMOLED screen. It has limited support for LTE bands used by North American carriers, but it sounds like you're European so it shouldn't be a factor. OPX also has a beautiful construction, but be warned because OnePlus has suffered from build quality issues in the past.
>>
My OG Moto G got stolen a while ago. Currently using a Nexus 7 tethered to a Galaxy Pocket.
I've been thinking of buying a Moto X 2014, but apparently it's really fragile. I want a phone that's 72mm wide or narrower and has at least 2GB of RAM, a >300PPI screen, near-stock Android and proper support for rooting.
From what I've heard, OPX is riddled with manufacturing defects and it's a bitch to RMA.
Xperia Z3c has a non-stock ROM and its camera quality tanks when rooted.
If I could find a place to order a Mi4i in Finland, it too would probably be hard to RMA for eventual hardware defects.
Should I get a Galaxy S4 instead?
Current gen phones are not worth the price.
>>
>>52886555
Hmm, so it sounds like something better than vanilla.
>>52886457
G4 has better camera, better screen (but worse color accuracy), more ram, better SoC, IR blaster, FM radio, card slot, replaceable battery, is overall easier to dismantle, doesn't have a fingerprint reader, doesn't have a "NEXUS" written on the back.
>>
>>52886666
>Should I get a Galaxy S4 instead?
nice quads

That's probaly what I'll get once my phone dies. Has a fairly big screen and really small bezels. Huge plus is the support from cyanogenmod and a shitload of roms to chose from (mostly omnirom and cm though).

As far as I can tell you can't even really root sony phones, right? You'd have to unlock the bootloader for that, which in turn wipes your drm keys, which also completely trashes the quality of your camera.
>>
File: QBAwdWS.jpg (299KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
QBAwdWS.jpg
299KB, 3264x1836px
>>52886737
Better camera? Really?

6P (which has the same camera as the 5X) is rated 84 on DXOMark, while the G4 is rated 83.

The only important things on your list are the fingerprint scanner and NEXUS on the back.
>>
>>52886737
>>52886799
oh shit, and they BOTH have the exact same SoC (the Snapdragon 808). so I don't know how you can say the G4 has a better SoC since it is identical.
>>
>>52869052
Warranty is shit but it still works, my dad's OPX arrived with touchscreen issues and I just got an email from oneplus to send the device back for a full refund. My OPX arrived in perfect conditions, not a single problem and I've been loving it so far.
>>
>>52886799
>>52886825
Shit, sorry. I thought 5X had 801.
About the camera, they're pretty even on dxomark, so you're right.
But phonearena's review said G4 has better software (raw support, manual controls and shit).
>>
>>52886893
no worries. yeah the google camera app leave something to be desired, however i am more of a tinkerer rather than a photographer, so the 5X is more ideal for me. Just updated ElementalX to 1.06.
>>
How's the 6S Edge Plus ?

Really cheap on contract for me (€200). Should I just wait for the Note 5 to launch here (probably will be the 21st) or do I get something else like the iPhone 6s+?
>>
>>52886934
Other options?
>>
>>52884545
>>52884559

lol wait for the official reveal you attention seeking faggot
>>
New thread, this one is at bump limit:

>>52887062
>>52887062
>>52887062
>>
>>52883250
Probably xiaomi mi4c
>>
What are the best phones for any budget at the moment? What are good phones coming soon?
>>
I would really like to buy nexus 6p, but here in Europe it has a ridiculous price. Any alternatives?
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.