[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning coding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (46KB, 479x343px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 479x343px
I'm getting into coding for the first time. Is it a bad idea to start with swift as my first language?
>>
Learn a bit of Ruby then Erlang or Elixir and get a pretty good fucking money
>>
C++
>>
actually no, there's nothing wrong with swift
>>
Is the giant red circle really necessary?
>>
File: SCIPVN.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
SCIPVN.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>52856790
i checked out swift and it seems ok.
I started with ruby and rails after. learned a few other MVCs and now going for C.
I would suggest the codeacademy ruby course if you never did any programming before and then K&R.
>and of course...
>>
>>52856724
I wouldn't learn swift.
It's too specific and involves many non-coding aspects that other languages simply incorporate into them.

Learn a multi-purpose language like C/C++, Java, or Python for your first language. Then when you want to learn a more specialized language, you'll have a good understanding on how it all comes together.

For instance the languages listed above could be used for a wide range of coding disciplines.

Where as swift is exclusively used for IOS app development, JavaScript is used almost exclusively for web dev, and so on.
>>
>>52856824
Maybe, but learning 3 different languages takes a lot of time right?
If I made such a huge investment in time, I would like at least one of those languages to be a widely used one
>>52856850
Kek, not really but I didn't make the image
>>
File: 1444700674668.jpg (787KB, 1084x1455px) Image search: [Google]
1444700674668.jpg
787KB, 1084x1455px
>>52856991
>Maybe, but learning 3 different languages takes a lot of time right?
Not altogether, once you have the basics the rest is mostly flavor, the right tool for the job and syntatic sugar.
>>
>>52856824
IMO, you might as well learn C/C-like C++ as your first language. Jumping right into the crazy shit that C++ introduced and OOP in general is not easy for a beginner.
>>
>>52856955
cute.
>>
>>52856724
Learn C or C++. It's like doing simple math, and much less confusing than higher level languages that do a lot of behind the scenes magic.
>>
>>52857111
Both C++ and to a lesser extent C do a lot of magic behind the scenes. You'd be best off going with assembly. It's the simplest of any language.
>>
>>52857159
He should start with a machine language. If you cant do the basics, you shouldnt be a programmer.
>>
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'll probably start with C++ now since both it and swift are object oriented.
>>
>>52857180
Might as well go with INTERCAL if you're gonna go that far.
>>
>>52856724
yes, pick a language actually used for development. Python is a good starter lang and is still useful for scripting purposes later in life.
>>
>>52857201
Nothing against C++, but as a learning language it might be a bit hard. A VM type language like Python, C#, Java, etc that offers memory management and garbage collection will save you a lot of pain. One you really learn something you can always come back to C++ where you have to do all that yourself.
>>
>>52857842
>C#, Java
IMO those magical languages where everything is an object for some reason and you need an interface to do templates. They really aren't easy to understand.

Obviously garbage collection and pointer checking have plenty of benefits, but those languages are just up their own asses too far to be easy to learn.
>>
>>52856983
>I wouldn't learn swift.

you're an idiot who doesnt know what they're talking about.

>It's too specific

drivel, its no more "specific" than the other languages you name.

>and involves many non-coding aspects that other languages simply incorporate into them.

so other languages incorprorate non-coding aspects?
utterly meaningless. dont post unless you know what you're talking about.

>For instance the languages listed above could be used for a wide range of coding disciplines.

what the fuck does that mean? there is no "wide range of coding disciplines".
you're just stringing words together.

>Where as swift is exclusively used for IOS app development

nope just plain wrong, really, dude, shut the fuck up.
swift has been open sourced, and even before it was you could use it on osx too, so once again, you're talking shit.
>>
>>52857050
Agreed. I had no coding experience and jumped straight into cpp in college and man it was tough.

Any language recommendation for beginners? Is python or java a good start?
>>
>>52858399

Either java or python is fine. I'd prefer those over swift if only because swift is a a "proper" compiler based language which adds another layer of complexity you dont want to have to learn about (yet).
>>
Start from the ground up. Learn C, then move to higher level languages (higher as in away from 1s and 0s) like Python and C#.

If you have the time try some functional programming with Lisp (SICP isn't just a meme book) or Perl. This will make you an overall better programmer. It's the equivalent of eating vegetables and getting your daily vitamins. You won't see immediate results, but it'll be noticeable when you encounter programmers that code like they can't poo in loo.

If you want to make a job of programming quickly learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, and jQuery. Look up any web dev course and these are usually all taught together.

If you want a cool job learn SQL and get familiar with databases.

Codeacademy
Microsoft Virtual Academy
YouTube
IntallGentoo Wiki /g/ approved books (I recommend Code by Charles Petzold from their list. Easy read and you learn what's inside the internet machine in front of you)
>>
>>52856955
wow is this open source? where can I play it?
>>
>>52858746

>cool
>databases
>>
>>52858932
Fuck you. I'm a cool guy. I'm hip. I'm with it.

I'm a database admin and I like it. The job is really straight forward, and my coworkers and I have a lot of down time since we know what we're doing. The pay is good too.
>>
>>52859007
>The job is really straight forward

Thats cos its easy. Which is also why its as boring as fuck and therefore, by definition, NOT COOL.

Here have some Linus...

"I really never wanted to do source control management at all and felt that it was just about the least interesting thing in the computing world (with the possible exception of databases ;^)"
>>
>>52859029
I get to spend most of my time at work doing personal projects. Yeah the actual work itself isn't the most glamorous, but it pays the bills and funds my hobbies.

Going to work doesn't seem to be as much of a chore since it's essentially sandbox time for me. I've also built up enough of a portfolio at work with certs and programming projects that finding a new job wouldn't be difficult if I were to get bored.
>>
>>52857959

>drivel, its no more "specific" than the other languages you name
Swift is only good for IOS development. If your using it for anything else you shouldn't be programming in the first place.

>so other languages incorprorate non-coding aspects? Utterly meaningless. dont post unless you know what you're talking about.
By non-coding aspects I was referring to its dependence on advanced IDEs such as Xcode UI to produce anything meaningful. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having a programming language in the first place.

>what the fuck does that mean? there is no "wide range of coding disciplines". You're just stringing words together.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Coding+Disciplines

>nope just plain wrong, really, dude, shut the fuck up. Swift has been open sourced, and even before it was you could use it on osx too, so once again, you're talking shit.
Calm down Swiftfag. See my first point.
>>
>>52857842
Or he can actually learn memory management like a good programmer should instead of relying of cushy languages to do it for him.
>>
>>52857201
I you want to program for OS X or iOS just learn Swift. There is no need to learn another language first, and Swift is set to become the primary language of the Apple platform.
>>
>>52859113
>Swift is only good for IOS development.

And yet, here I am (at work) coding an OSX gui in it to manipulate medical images. So no, you are, in fact, full of shit.
>>
>>52859161
>Learning a language only used for a single companies products.
Or... learn Java used by everyone else.
>>
>>52856790
Why do you say that? Ruby is popular but I haven't ever seen someone ask for Erlang or Elixir experience. Which sucks because I love Elixir.
>>
>>52859113
>dependence on advanced IDEs such as Xcode UI to produce anything meaningful.

Nope. You can code the whole swift thing using vim if you want.
Not doing too well here are ya champ?
>>
>>52859207
If OP works primarily on Macs then why not use the dominant language for his platform?
>Only used by a single company
That single company makes up a significant portion of the market though.
>>
>>52859186
Yeah and with certain libraries it's possible to use C++ to code front end web dev, but that doesn't make it a rational choice.
>>
>>52856724
Swift is a great language. It along with D are my goto C++ replacements.

The thing is there are really not a lot of resources of Swift for first time coders.

I would recommend starting with JavaScript. It's dead simple to start using and you can do pretty much everything with it. Or Python, but the syntax is kind of ugly.

Avoid:

Java: Its a stupid language for stupid people; you get no pointers (or better yet, only pointers), no sane way to work with memory allocation and a weird reliance on exceptions.

C++: A beginner shouldn't be concern with namespaces. Actually nobody should... Or having to chose a sane subset of language because of how insanely complex it is.
>>
How about learning Haskell as a 1st, checking out LYAH but havent invested alot of time in it yet
>>
>>52859327

Ok genius, please do tell me why its not a "rational choice" in this instance. I'm on a mac, the customer is on a mac. I'm working on a new product, swift is apples new language and its fast enough. So, go ahead, clue me in.
>>
>>52859319

Because why create unnecessary restrictions for what you can and can't program for.
>>
>>52859415
Why confuse yourself with irrelevant issues when you're just beginning?

Besides which, algorithms are of greater importance than syntax.
>>
>>52859379
Because using meme drag-n-drop languages is inferrior to learning actual multi-platform programming languages
>>
>>52859286
>Op wants to learn first coding language
>Recommend a language where the options for IDEs are Xcode or vim
>Thinks either are good for babby beginners
>>
>>52859524
What are the other options?
Emacs, Vim, or whatever shit IDE comes with meme language #23974?

Swift is basically perfect for someone using a Mac who wants to get started programming. Instead of learning tedious minutiae to perform basic tasks, OP can get started doing cool shit backed up by fantastic integrated documentation and tutorials.

If OP later wants to make cross platform programs or do something more specific, picking up a new language should be rather simple now that he will have learned how to program in a comfy helpful environment.

tl;dr non-macfags butthurt and jelly
>>
JavaScript
>>
>>52859582
The other options are not using a language that is only available for a single brand

If OP wants to make cool shit fast he could learn any of the web dev languages and make code that can actually be displayed on multiple devices.
>>
>>52859658
If he is only just getting started, what difference does cross platform support make? He should probably focus on the task at hand rather than imaginary and irrelevant future contingencies.
>>
>>52859582
>tl;dr non-macfags butthurt and jelly

Nailed it.
>>
>>52859658
>single brand

Except that its now open source.
>>
>>52856724
>Can write "Hello world" in 58 seconds
>>
>>52858525
Cool thanks senpai
>>
>>52856790
yeah, seconding >>52859221
there aren't many Erlang jobs, and I'm not sure they pay well
would love to hear more, though
>>
>>52857959
and this, kids, is why you don't learn Swift.
>>
>>52857959
>>52859186
>>52859286
>>52859379
>>52859582
>>52859698

why are y'all applefags so toxic
>>
>>52860933
>why are y'all applefags so toxic

Cos we know its better, and the rest of you frustrate us with your lack of insight. Its love really, we love you all but you just wont SEE!
>>
File: 7cb.jpg (43KB, 323x720px) Image search: [Google]
7cb.jpg
43KB, 323x720px
>>52861000
>This is it.
>>
File: dream_98287bf54f.jpg (119KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
dream_98287bf54f.jpg
119KB, 720x720px
I started with Python (Still learning of course, pretty comfy with it though), then JavaScript (only started with it about two weeks ago), and now I'm going to start up learning C.

I have no fucking clue why I learn which. I'll probably end up a sysadmin so Python will be the best for that though. Everything else I'm learning just to learn it.
>>
>>52859113
>By non-coding aspects I was referring to its dependence on advanced IDEs such as Xcode UI to produce anything meaningful. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having a programming language in the first place.
isn't this the same story as programming langs made by microsoft?

>>52859706
how does open-sourcing something make it automagically multi-platform?
>>
>>52856724
Learn C++. It's the foundation of most object oriented programming structures.

You don't learn C++ because you expect to program in it, you learn it so you understand the basics of every other worthwhile language.
>>
>>52859029
Yes and no. Database Administration can easily be one of the most stressful jobs you'll ever have. The reason being that if you fuck up, the entire business is jacked. Programming fuckups are usually fixable.
>>
>>52859658
This. Learn JavaScript HTML CSS
>>
File: maki_disapointed.gif (988KB, 450x405px) Image search: [Google]
maki_disapointed.gif
988KB, 450x405px
>>52856955
Where's the feet scene?
>>
>>52857180
I would suggest Whitespace language as well
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.