[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emacs appreciation thread. What theme are you using? What packages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 17

File: emacs_user_at_work.jpg (74KB, 864x540px) Image search: [Google]
emacs_user_at_work.jpg
74KB, 864x540px
Emacs appreciation thread.

What theme are you using?
What packages do you have installed?
What's your favorite package?
How has emacs made your life better?
>>
File: 1439957157776.gif (126KB, 429x650px) Image search: [Google]
1439957157776.gif
126KB, 429x650px
Do i learn emacs? Vim is weird, but so is emacs.
>>
>>52707761

>8 arms
>2 not in use

i have 10 fingers, im faster than that fucking squid
>>
>>52707915
Emacs is the thinking man's text editor. You can use as more than a text editor if you want to, but it works beautifully on its own. You can completely ignore all of emacs keybindings and use it as though it were a plain text editor with only the ability to copy/paste, undo/redo and save files with its graphical interface.

>>52707965
If he wanted to he could also type multiple keys with one arm, those tentacles are crazy dextrous.
>>
>>52707915
Learning to program with C with emacs .the problems arise naturally. First how to navigate, how to save, etc. I'll read a bit more on emacs then keep it in the back of my mind for later.
>>
What foot pedals are you guys using?
>>
http://spacemacs.org

I always loved the concepts and power of emacs, but hated the key bindings and default setup. Spacemacs is fucking god tier.
>>
File: savnt-jsb-triple1.jpg (20KB, 510x344px) Image search: [Google]
savnt-jsb-triple1.jpg
20KB, 510x344px
>>52708357
Kinesis Advantage triple pedal
>>
File: eufireic.jpg (78KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
eufireic.jpg
78KB, 640x533px
>>52707980
>Emacs is the thinking man's text editor.
>>
>>52707761
I work across lots of machines so I try to keep things as vanilla as possible.
Theme: wombat
Packages: auto-complete autopair magit markdown-mode vlf clojure-mode haskell-mode
>>
>>52707761
>How has emacs made your life better?
Emacs has made my life tolerable. Every time I see some pleb using sublime or other shit like that, I think: Holy fuck! How can people do serious work on that, is like trying to cut wood with a scissor.
>>
>>52708523
>clojure-mode

spot the faggot
>>
>orgmode
How can one package be so fucking based?
>>
>>52707980

dude he'd fucking dry out, he'd need like 2 breaks every 10 minutes

im telling you squids dont make good programmers
>>
>>52709448
They do however make excellent HTTP proxies or waitresses.
>>
>>52708391
impressive
>>
>>52709448
He's an octopus not a squid.
>>
i use tomorrow blue theme.

primarily tramp and org
>>
>>52709903
Triple pedal might be a good setup for acme since good three button mice are hard to find.
>>
>>52708603
Why exactly though? What is easier on emacs? I was going to switch but then got busy so just finished out with sublime
>>
File: Vim.png (43KB, 605x552px) Image search: [Google]
Vim.png
43KB, 605x552px
>>52707761
>Using the Carpal Tunnel Jew....
>>
>>52710193
What do you think the foot pedals are for?
>>
>>52709448
Dude, no, are you kidding me, just give him a waterproof monitor, keyboard, and mouse, he'd fucking go at the speed of sound.
>>
>>52710193
That's why the Spacemacs config exists. Total integration of vim-like keybindings so you should almost never have to hit Control or Alt outside of a few very specific modes like org.
>>
>>52710119
+ modeless text editor
+ smart buffers/windows, easy to use/nav with either keyboard or mouse
+ healthy package ecosystem
+ smart package management
+ excellent support for a shitton of languages
+ easy alternate input methods. For example, if I want to type greek letters, I can say
M-x set-input-method Ret Tex
then type \beta to produce β.
+ Orgmode. Holy shit, fucking orgmode.
+ Easy to use builtin version control systems
+ If you want to do something, chances are you can just say
M-x foo-bar-baz

+ built in help and documentation with C-h
Honestly there's so much that's great about it that I can't list it all.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WhyUseEmacs
http://batsov.com/articles/2011/11/19/why-emacs/
>>
File: emacs.jpg (114KB, 1024x569px) Image search: [Google]
emacs.jpg
114KB, 1024x569px
>>52707761
Emacs is so underrated
>>
File: saintignucius.jpg (31KB, 321x445px) Image search: [Google]
saintignucius.jpg
31KB, 321x445px
>>52710618
Praise be to St. IGNUcious.
>>
>>52708523
>I work across lots of machines so I try to keep things as vanilla as possible
Learn to use git and sync your config. You can keep separate branches for machine local config and cherry-pick useful stuff across machines.
>>
Ok explain me this.
I work with Python on emacs and I want shell to be shown automatically when I run the script. I first need to raise a second buffer window by clicking on comman input field which is fucking weird and retarded. And then cycle through messages,scratch,etc shit to finally find the python shell.

Also what the fuck this piece of shit never starts maximized?
This piece of shit cant remember previous session like Sublime? I am always greeted with their dumb welcome page with several buffers openned without consulting with me, the fucking user.
Explain me this muhemacs wizards.
>>
>>52709344
The power of astronomy
>>
>>52710725
On my phone now, but all of these problems can be fixed with a couple lines in your init.el (and maybe a package for the sessions, never looked into that)
>>
>>52710812
yeah yeah yeah always installing billion packages for the most trivial and small shit that other editors have by default because they are not deprecated shit.
>can be fixed with a couple lines in your init.el
Lines of what? A fucking Lisp? So I need to learn even a language for this shit to operate. This is truly editor for NEET imbeciles with too much time on their pathetic hands.
You literally dont have any real and practical arguments and solutions. None of you have. Because you are all retarded NEETs.
>>
>>52710725
Try either C-x 2 or C-x 3 to add either a vertical or horizontal split to the window (. There are things you can do to make it start maximized, I suggest you try googling that.

Also try installing tabbar.
>>
>>52710869
I mostly agree with this sentiment. Life is too short to use emacs or vim.
>>
>>52710869
If you wanted everything handed to you, programmer isn't the right profession for you.

>You mean I have to install software to make my computer do stuff??!!

Yes, that's how computers work. Why are you so against installing packages?
>>
>>52710931
Life is too short for agriculture and irrigation. Have fun being a nomad.
>>
>>52710956
eat shit u fuck. I wonder why isnt there package required to enable keyboard before starting anything.
Fucking wannabe elitist NEETs. Pathetic.
>>
File: dipshit.png (70KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
dipshit.png
70KB, 1200x900px
>>52710869
Because I couldn't find the original "here help/no fuck you" image.
>>
>>52710997
This post is like a concentrated form of butthurt.
>>
>>52711019
lol the fact that you actually spent your only time in this life on making this proves my point. Fucking miserable wasted lives, perfect example of NEET imbecile.
>>
>>52711044
that took me a couple minutes to slap together

You're wasting your time on an imageboard arguing about text editors, the "wasted moments of your life" argument will not fucking help your sorry ass here. We provided constructive help without calling you an idiot, but you go ahead and bite the hand that feeds and prove you're an imbecile beyond help.
>>
>>52711096
I'm pretty sure he is the textbook example of a troll. Hide and ignore.

I think what Emacs really needs is to add asynchronous support and of course all the necessary variable scoping.

The other thing Emacs needs are a sane default configuration, and Spacemacs provides that thankfully.
>>
>have to ssh into router to fuck around with something to get it to work properly
>only text editor is vi
>have to look up how to use it because no sane person needs 1000 keyboard shortcuts to edit text
>spend 5 minutes editing a config file that would have normally taken 30 seconds
>>
>>52711253
Here's to hoping guilemacs fixes the string conversion issue.
>>
What's the killer feature of emacs?
I'm not a professional programmer, I want to understand.
Generally speaking the editor it's not the bottleneck when I write a piece of code.
>>
>>52711373
That's unfortunate. More routers should really use nano instead of vi.

>>52711650
If I could put it in as few words as possible, I'd say its the ease of extensibility within itself.
>>
>>52711726
I wonder what the difference in size nano is compared to vi
I know vi is pretty lightweight
>>
>>52711726
>If I could put it in as few words as possible, I'd say its the ease of extensibility within itself.

Say, I want to generate a C array to use as a sine lookup table *at compile time*.
One method I used was to write a small C program that outputs a text file containing this LUT programmatically, and then copy pasting manually the LUT in my program.Not a very elegant solution but it works.
Can I make somehing like that without leaving emacs?
>>
>>52707761
is it worth learning emacs if i know vim?
>>
Does anybody here use Emacs with a foot-pedal?
Seriously considering buying one so I don't destroy my hands.
>>
>>52711818
C-M-7 C-x C-M-& C-x C-x-M-s-f-q-s C-e-m-a-c-s-m-a-g-i-c-s-i-n-e-w-a-v-e-x C-x C-1-3-3-7
>>
>>52711863
I-I'll pass for now.
No seriously I want to know if it's possible.
>>
>>52711887
No idea t.b.h. but i'd imagine you need at least 5 1/2 arms for it
>>
File: asggasjdgs.png (167KB, 823x595px) Image search: [Google]
asggasjdgs.png
167KB, 823x595px
>eGayPieceOfShit
>>
>>52711818
>>52711887
With a bit of elisp everything is possible, don't even need to write it in a file when you have the scratch(if that's a temporary change/solution).
>>
>>52711983
If I understood correctly I can use elisp to generate code directly in the buffer, right?
>>
>>52712042
Yeah you can.
Either code it to target a buffer manually or even better, output the code in the active buffer at the cursor position.
>>
>>52712114
Ok, now I have got to print a cheat sheet
>>
File: Selection_084.png (315KB, 2556x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_084.png
315KB, 2556x1078px
>>52707761
I love Emacs but it's font rendering is absolute shit.
Dunno why but it just looks so bad. Maybe it's the color scheme, idk.

Here's a comparison of Emacs and VSC. Same font, similar font size. But VSC looks so much better. Mousepad also looks similar to how VSC does. Why is Emacs so bad at making code look nice?
>>
File: kid.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
kid.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
>>52712181
>different font size
>different color scheme
>>
>>52711818
Not sure how to do that off the top of my head, but there may be better ways of accomplishing what you want. Have you ever heard of linear approximations?
I'm not sure how precise you need it, but for quick manual calculation it's pretty nice.

In org-mode, you can write some pretty nice spreadsheets, so that could be another way of looking at

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/calc/Trigonometric-and-Hyperbolic-Functions.htmlt.
>>
>>52712138
Good luck mate, emacs isn't an easy beast, are you on windows ?
>>
>>52712138
http://www.rgrjr.com/emacs/emacs_cheat.html

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/refcards/pdf/refcard.pdf
>>
>>52711818
Yes, use Org mode, which lets you use whatever language you want to generate text output.

My zsh configuration is partially written in/templated by Python thanks to Org mode.
>>
File: lain007.gif (95KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
lain007.gif
95KB, 500x384px
>>52707915 was me
I watched a few videos on emacs and i have to say that it's pretty cool. Now that it's installed is there a quick start guide, something like vimtutor?
>>
>>52712925
Also do you emacs as it's own window, or do you run it in a terminal?
>>
File: both.png (21KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
both.png
21KB, 1366x768px
>>52713005
Why not both?

Pic related, GUI on top, terminal on bottom, both connected to the same Emacs server.
>>
>>52713060
Well the window doesn't match my .Xresources..
>>
>>52713276
Xresources is a bunch of shit. Some things are affected by it and other things aren't.

Keep in mind that colors in terminals are very limited. You have at most 256 colors, and any application you run in your terminal doesn't know what each of the colors are. Emacs might assume color 1 is red, but what color 1 really is in your terminal is up to your configuration.

In your case, I'm guessing you set the background color to black. Emacs assumed that your background color was white, which is the default.
>>
File: wew.png (30KB, 727x368px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
30KB, 727x368px
(defun tablefoo (bar) (if (eq (car bar) nil) () 
(progn (princ (concat "|" (number-to-string (car bar)) "| |\n")) (tablefoo (cdr bar)))))
(tablefoo (number-sequence 0 90 5))

Then just add the first line for |x|sin(x)|, and tab it to auto-align everything. org-mode is pretty sweet. There is probably a much better way to do this, I'm pretty new to org-mode and haven't programmed in ages.
>>
>>52712925
Comes with a built in tutorial which you can click on. It's one of the links on the start screen. There's a basic keystroke tutorial, a guided tour of functions and the manual. The basic tutorial is pretty good imo.
>>
>>52713803
I saw that, i should really try and ifgure out things myself sometimes..
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.