[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wise to use floppy disks instead of USB for more secure storage?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

Is it wise to use floppy disks instead of USB for more secure storage?
>>
>magnets
>>
>>52699603
Define "secure"

Floppy disks die a lot for no reason. Shit sucks
>>
>>52699980

>Define "secure"
>Floppy disks die a lot for no reason. Shit sucks

This, fuck floppies. Just get several USB sticks or SD cards and make more than one backup of any mission critical data. Encrypt the files if you're worried about unauthorized people accessing said files.
>>
I keep all my most important data on a 256GB floppy disk
>>
>>52699603
Floppies are terrible when compared to current storage mediums, I personally only keep them around for legacy OS installs(preloading SATA drivers and old DOS utilities)
>>
I still have several floppies lying around and they still work, alternatively I also have a 1GB cheapo usb stick that I've used and reused, zero-written too many times to count and it still works like new. I guess it depends on your usage OP
>>
>>52699603
Get alot of USB sticks and split the files across all of them(like a raid 0) then even if they have all put one they wouldn't be able to recover your spaghetti
>>
Floppy disk is like a floppy dick shemale. Useless.
>>
>>52699603
Floppy>HDD>SSHD>SSD
>>
>>52700860
>sshd
All the disadvantages of a shitty 2008 hdd, with a side of the disadvantages of a shitty 2010 ssd.
>>
Micro SD m8, you can eat them when the fbi knocks.
>>
>>52699603
For what reason would you do that?

You can get tape drives cheaper then Good floppies.
>>
>>52699603
what is that thing lolol
>>
>>52699603
no
open your files with a hexa editor and print them on paper.
>>
>>52701939
Fuck, you really can. Wonder if the feds would even know to look.
>>
>>52702684
Feds aren't your local uneducated fuckos, I'm sure if they actually on your doorstep, they've probably thought about it.
>>
>>52699603
If you're worried about malware hiding in USB firmware, then yes, the only solution to that is to not use USB devices. This is, famously, how Stuxnet jumped an air gap to infect Iranian nuclear facilities.

This is a very targeted attack though, and requires an adversary with nation-state resources to know who you are and be interested in you specifically. If you're Ed Snowden, then yes, you should worry about this, and avoid plugging random zip disquettes into a secure machine. If you're just some guy hiding his doujins, this isn't a security measure you need to take.
>>
>>52702722
Yeah, but what could they do about something in your gut? How would they even know where to look? I doubt anything other than an x-ray would reveal it. It's not like a warrant allows them to pump your stomach.
>>
>>52702806
the acids in your stomach will damage it, so even if they wait for you until you poop it out it won't work
>>
>>52702806
The federal conviction rate is around (if not above) 90%. If the feds are raiding your home/mom's basement, they probably have quite a bit of evidence against you already.

In any case, even if you're acquitted, a federal case against you will still fuck your shit up.
>>
>>52702806
You could chew it, though...if you're so worried about this.
>>
>>52702806
>Yeah, but what could they do about something in your gut?
well if they find out you swallowed it, they nail you for evidence tampering and obstruction of justice, even if they can't ever see what's on it.
>>
>>52702806
I'm pretty sure that the feds have some experience in people trying to hide/destroy evidence.

In any case, what would your plan be? Eat your microsd card every time somebody unexpected knocked on the door?
>>
>>52702898
I think a guy tried this and they pumped his stomach. Looking for sauce
>>
>>52699603
Sorry, but nobody's made a decent-quality floppy disk for well over a decade, anon. It will die, and it will corrupt your shit.

Last time I bought a box of 10, 8 were unformattable on arrival, because there's no QC, because there's no demand for it. Verbatim themselves aren't even manufacturing them anymore.

Old media are kind of OK, but are wearing out over time.

Sorry to say, but the same is true of writable optical media: Taiyo-Yuden have shut down their media production facilities. I've got a small stock of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, but I never really use them anymore.
>>
>>52699603
Tapes or microdrives.

Flash based storage isn't reliable in the long term anyway.
>>
I use zip drives exclusively
>>
>>52704203
click click click
>>
CD
>>
>>52700021
Holy smokes I can't even imagine how big it would be. Can anyone that's good at math figure it out?
>>
>>52702792

>if you're ed snowden you need to worry
>it was a targeted attack

I disagree. They put Stuxnet out there and let it jump from computer to computer until it hir a scientist's computer that worked at the lab. He then brought a USB home and it infected the USB, which infected the lab.

These kind of infect-everyone-until-we-hit-our-target attacks would create vulnerabilities in potentially millions of computers, which could then be exploited by virtually anyone. Stuxnet is still out there and spreading as we speak. Had it been configured to leave a backdoor in a popular application, instead of targeting nuclear centrifuges, the effects would have been devestating.

>>52702883

The conviction rate is 98% at trial. Most cases plea out before trial, so the actual percentage is much higher. In addition to waiting for sufficient evidence, they also use the threat of exorbitant sentences to get people to plea guilty who otherwise would go to trial. You also receive an "Acceptance of Responsibilty" reduction for giving up your right to a trial. Land of the free.

>>52704381
Over 9000 acres.
>>
>>52702722

No, they probably haven't yet.
>>
Works for the Nuclear Arsenal.
>>
>>52704524
>Had it been configured to leave a backdoor in a popular application, instead of targeting nuclear centrifuges, the effects would have been devestating.
daily reminder it was mossad who made it, to target iran, and that israel is actually at war with everyone.
>>
>>52700007
>>52699980
so do flash drives

>>52704086
my floppies from 1993 work fine

>>52704086
they actually still make them because the FBI still uses 5.25" drives
>>
>>52704689
look the USA only spend 60% of their entire GDP on defence, how are they supposed to afford an upgrade from this shit? It's only the nuclear launch facility anyway.
>>
>>52704698
>so do flash drives
no no no no
flash drives don't die nearly as frequently as floppy
>>
>>52702919
Look through the eye-hole/window/whatever. See feds. Run and get microsd, flush through toilet, wet hands, tell them you were on the toilet. Safe and unsuspicious.
>>
>>52706921

Ideally, you should have some kind of motion detector/camera setup that would alert you with a live feed anytime it detects motion. Just ve sure to change the default password on the camera.
>>
>>52704689
If it ain't broke...
>>
>>52704689
Security through obscurity, I guess.
>>
>>52707257
But wouldn't that be kind of suspicious though?
>>
>>52707595

If they're already at your door then you've passed that point anyway. The cameras are fairly small. You could hide one in a birdhouse.

>>52707454

That's the worst defense, especially against a well-funded adversary.
>>
File: 41Rr7PgifHL._SY300_.jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41Rr7PgifHL._SY300_.jpg
7KB, 300x300px
Floppy disks are obviously superior, since they have holes that match the rings of standard binders like pic related.

Can your flash drives or magnetic tapes do that?

Checkmate drivefags.
>>
>>52704689
why doesn't the us government simply store all its data on dropbox?
there's no need for phyical media now that we have the cloud.
>>
File: fucko, i...jpg (273KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fucko, i...jpg
273KB, 1200x1200px
>TFW your computer cannot access fucko's obsolete media.

>>52704689
was about to mention this. When you think about it, it's actually a good idea.
>>
>2016
>not storing everything on tape
>>
>>52702806
>It's not like a warrant allows them to pump your stomach.
Dude, what? Where have you been? In America they CAN, HAVE AND WILL pump your stomach, feed you laxatives, X-ray you, even shove a camera up your ass. And that's just for fucking drugs. If they think you have data in your stomach they need, you're pretty well fucked indeed.
>>
>>52709736
Some dude in NY was mistaken for a suspect by cops and this happened to him. They "induced vomiting", watched him poop and dug through it, then shoved a camera in his ass. Then stuck him with a $10k bill for it all.
>>
>floppy
Get on my level faggots. No one will even suspect this is where you hide all your valuable data.
>>
File: .jpg (109KB, 649x319px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
109KB, 649x319px
>>52709912
>not mercury delay line
>>
Depends on what you mean by "secure"

Want nobody to be able to read your stuff? Encrypt whatever you're storing before you store it and you're good on any media.

Want a lower risk of being attacked through the media you use? Floppy discs don't have the capability of firmware malware like USBs do.

Want the data to be available when you need it? It's a toss up. Floppy discs can very, very easily become corrupted, so, in practice, typically have a shorter lifespan than USB drives, although they should, theoretically, last as long as other magnetic tape storage media (which can last decades if properly cared for).

You could get an M-Disc writer and use M-Discs which theoretically will last 1000 years, and isn't vulnerable to the USB firmware attacks.
>>
Just learn Linear A, not even NSA's cluster of quantum supercomputers can decrypt it.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.