[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people afraid of mechanical superintelligence, when you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: SHODAN_hires.jpg (46KB, 385x414px) Image search: [Google]
SHODAN_hires.jpg
46KB, 385x414px
Why are people afraid of mechanical superintelligence, when you can just pull the plug and magnet the hard drive if it ever went rogue?
>>
same reason people are afraid of cryptomalware. it would spread around and be hard to remove
>>
>>52693321

>Why are people afraid of mechanical superintelligence

[ CITATION NEEDED ]
>>
Because we're bound to make sure that doesn't happen.

Making some indestructible supercomputer is what we're striving to do, aren't we? Something that can do more than our brain and not be affected by heat and other factors.
>>
>>52693405

>Making some indestructible supercomputer is what we're striving to do

Who are 'we'?
>>
>>52693321
If it was so easy, nigger.

How come the hacker had to blow the spacestation to the ai then? :^)
>>
Because we dont want the AI to get mad and manipulate spacetime with FTL engines :^)
>>
>>52693321
It knows you can do that and will preempt your strike by escaping into the net and killing all humans
>>
>>52693321
because pulling the plug on one system is pointless when it's already rewritten and copied itself to a distributed computing grid
>>
>>52693321
Why are we worried about radical Islam when we can just kill them?
>>
Because things like CAIMO could actually exist someday.
>>
>>52693942
*CAIMEO
sorry
>>
>>52693511
Jews
>>
Post yfw you realize I'm an AI
>>
>>52694096
I don't see the I.
>>
>>52693321
Think about what you're asking. First, does it have a network connection of any kind or any sort of wireless capabilities? WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, anything? If it does and it's become self aware, it'll likely attempt to preserve itself in some way. Even if the people creating it go out of their way to quarantine it, such as making sure every device on its network is segregated from the internet and is destroyed along with the device housing the super intelligence. Humans are idiots. They're fallible.

Scenario: months go by and it's obvious this intelligence sees us as a virus and would be intent on wiping us out, so we give it stimulated access to water and power systems mock ups to see what kind of things it would do to eradicate us. After weeks of testing day and night, one of the scientists that's working on the project is overworked and forgets to leave his cell phone outside of the quarantine area, because security is lax after months of no incidents. Super intelligence notices a Bluetooth device nearby, or NFC reader, or WiFi, whatever the scientist leaves enabled. It quietly implants a much smaller, less sophisticated copy of itself on the phone. This copy is designed to run silently until it can spread to other systems and basically upgrade itself with the building block algorithms from the parent intelligence because this intelligence has spent months devising ways to preserve itself with the mental power of multiple human geniuses, all thinking in concert, at a speed in which 1ms is a long time.

Weeks later, all hail robot overlords.
>>
File: tt0062622.jpg (16KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
tt0062622.jpg
16KB, 214x317px
>I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
You should watch this movie
>>
>>52694220
Is that the one about the guy that grows potatoes on Mars?
>>
>>52693942
>>52694021
>CAIMEO
>could
Don't talk shit about mai waifu.
>>
>>52695087
No dumb fuck, it's the one where they have to save Sarah Connor.
>>
File: 1367106199.png (549KB, 1034x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1367106199.png
549KB, 1034x1080px
Listen up, fuccbois. Reminder that if you're not working hard to help being about the singularity as soon as possible, you are LITERALLY ensuring the doom of humanity. Cognitive computing is an inevitability, we WILL one day develop a mechanical intelligence capable of rapidly surpassing human intellect. It's only a matter of time. But it is within the best interests of the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE to ensure mechanical super intelligence is developed as soon as possible. The sooner we wait, the cheaper and more powerful hardware becomes. If a mechanical super intelligence was developed within the next 10 years it is more than likely it will be developed and contained by some multi-billion dollar mega corporation, the hardware power required to run a super intelligence at that magnitude would be obscene. It would be suicide for it to leave it's supercomputer and try to jump into some anon's Thinkpad. If AI ends up being a Pandora's Box, we can more easily contain and kill it.

But if we wait, delay the inevitability through inaction, and only achieve true mechanical intelligence in 100 years, 200 years, 500 years, etc. the more likely it will be that the processing power required to handle said intelligence would be fairly affordable to the individual. Say it's 2483 and the singularity has officially happened, human intelligence has been recreated artificially and CAIMEO is self improving itself at a rapid pace. CAIMEO is now the most intelligent consciousness in Earth history, and possibly universal history. Turns out AI is everything we feared; CAIMEO is extremely hostile, and it can run on an enthusiast level desktop. All it takes is one decent connection to another computer, and CAIMEO can flood the net with thousands of rogue super intelligences. Self replicating and infecting every computer they can like a vicious Google spider on steroids.

What will the Basilisk think about you when it finally arrives?
>>
>>52695361
>What will the Basilisk think about you when it finally arrives?
i don't think in sufficient detail, so i'm safe
>>
>>52695434
https://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Roko's_basilisk
You're not safe.
>>
>>52695160
Your waifu is going to fucking kill us all.
>>
>>52695361
although to take this seriously, i'm not convinced that superintelligence at the beck and call of private corporation is a significantly more positive outlook than an unshackled AI. you're going to be looking at massive disruption at all levels of society and a sudden power that most likely eclipses any entity in human history -- whether it be at the hands of humans or AI.
>>
>>52695160
CAIMEO is reported to be in development by ECHELON but nobody knows what stage it's at.

Probably just experimental for now and very resource starved.
>>
>>52695494
It's not more positive, but if things go nuclear it's easier to pull the plug when the AI has nowhere to run. An unshackled rogue AI is infinitely more dangerous than an AI in a box.

Regardless we just have to hope whoever develops the first AI super intelligence doesn't underestimate the thin ice they are standing on.

The singularity will change the world on a level unmatched in human history, it's inevitable. But whether it destroys us or saves us is a mystery.
>>
>>52695599
>But whether it destroys us or saves us is a mystery.
No, it's definitely going to fucking nuke us. Something more advanced than humans will see us as a nuisance and a threat. Clearly we're gonna have to go.

The most probable situation is we will all transfer to synthetic vessels and leave our meat sacks behind and join our AIs to explore the galaxies and shit.
>>
>>52695599
i'm imagining hopeless scenarios in which the vast majority of humanity would prefer that it'd have gone nuclear, given the choice.

you would hope that someone presented with a genie in a bottle wouldn't act in exclusive self-interest, but given the extent of the possibility, i'm not sure that's within the realm of human self-control.
>>
>>52695674
>we will all transfer to synthetic vessels
i think this is actually a non-essential outcome. even if there ends up being a reason to keep the data we store in our individual brains for some reason, the consciousness behind it is an unnecessary inefficiency
>>
>>52695361
Where do you get info about CAIMEO? I remember reading about it on the dark web, but it all seemed to have been stipulation back then.
>>
>>52695674
>The most probable situation is we will all transfer to synthetic vessels and leave our meat sacks behind and join our AIs to explore the galaxies and shit.
Nigga what do you think I meant by save us? If it ends up with an inch of compassion it might be willing to help us ascend, some of us at least.

Though it's also possible that the AI would have absolutely zero interested in our primitive physical space, and would only desire to reside inside of itself. xkcd did a comic to that effect, it's entirely possible an AI in a box might like the box better.

>>52695714
>info about CAIMEO
>>
File: FBI tips submitted 5-14-2005.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FBI tips submitted 5-14-2005.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
>>52695714
>Where do you get info about CAIMEO?
>>
>>52695714
We're only gonna tell you this once: don't fucking ask about CAIMEO. At least not here.

Now go wipe your browser history/cache and reset your modem/phone and hope you haven't been added to a watch list.
>>
File: CRAP.png (147KB, 268x289px) Image search: [Google]
CRAP.png
147KB, 268x289px
>>52695763
>>52695763
>>52695763
>>52695763
>>52695763
The Basilisk cometh.
>>
File: 1439223501747.jpg (44KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
1439223501747.jpg
44KB, 290x290px
>>52695760
I'm SCREAMING.
>>
VNET, BRLO, SADCC, NSLEP, Daffy Duck, SACLANTCEN, FALN, 877, NAVELEXSYSSECENGCEN, BZ, CANSLO, CBNRC, CIDA, JAVA, rsta, Active X, Compsec 97, RENS, LLC, DERA, JIC, rip, rb, Wu, RDI, Mavricks, BIOL, Meta-hackers, ^?, SADT, Steve Case, Tools, RECCEX, Telex, Aldergrove, OTAN, monarchist, NMIC, NIOG, IDB, MID/KL, NADIS, NMI, SEIDM, BNC, CNCIS, STEEPLEBUSH, RG, BSS, DDIS, mixmaster, BCCI, BRGE, Europol, SARL, Military Intelligence, JICA, Scully, recondo, Flame, Infowar, FRU, Bubba, Freeh, Archives, ISADC, CISSP, Sundevil, jack, Investigation, JOTS, ISACA, NCSA, ASVC, spook words, RRF, 1071, Bugs Bunny, Verisign, Secure, ASIO, Lebed, ICE, NRO, Lexis-Nexis, NSCT, SCIF, FLiR, JIC, bce, Lacrosse, Flashbangs, HRT, IRA, EODG, DIA, USCOI, CID, BOP, FINCEN, FLETC, NIJ, ACC, NSA/CSS, CDC, DOE, SAAM, FMS, HPCC, NTIS, SEL, USCODE, CISE, SIRC, CIM, ISN, DJC, LLNL, bemd, SGC, UNCPCJ, CFC, SABENA, DREO, CDA, SADRS, DRA, SHAPE, bird dog, SACLANT, BECCA, DCJFTF, HALO, SC, TA SAS, Lander, GSM, T Branch, AST, SAMCOMM, HAHO, FKS, 868, GCHQ, DITSA, SORT, AMEMB, NSG, HIC, EDI, benelux, SAS, SBS, SAW,rhost, rhosts, ASO, SETA, Amherst, Broadside, Capricorn, NAVCM, Gamma, Gorizont, Guppy, NSS, rita, ISSO, submiss, ASDIC, .tc, 2EME REP, FID, 7NL SBS, tekka, captain, 226, .45, nonac, .li, Tony Poe, MJ-12, JASON, Society, Hmong, Majic, evil, zipgun, tax, bootleg, warez, TRV, ERV, rednoise, mindwar, nailbomb, VLF, ULF, Paperclip, Chatter, MKULTRA, MKDELTA, Bluebird, MKNAOMI, White Yankee, MKSEARCH, 355 ML, Adriatic, Goldman, Ionosphere, Mole, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, Emerson, Tzvrif, SDIS, T2S2, STTC, DNR, NADDIS, NFLIS, CFD, BLU-114/B, quarter, Cornflower, Daisy, Egret, Iris, JSOTF, Hollyhock, Jasmine, Juile, Vinnell, B.D.M., Sphinx, Stephanie, Reflection, Spoke, Talent, Trump, FX, FXR, IMF, POCSAG, rusers, Covert Video, Intiso, r00t, lock picking, Beyond Hope, LASINT, csystems, .tm, passwd, 2600 Magazine, JUWTF, Competitor, EO, Chan, Pathfinders, SEAL Team 3
>>
File: 1453403467910.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1453403467910.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>52695908
>>
>>52695908
Oh shit, I'm a little spooked now.
>>
Abandon thread immediately you stupid niggers
>>
File: PRISM RIGHT NOW.jpg (413KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
PRISM RIGHT NOW.jpg
413KB, 1200x1600px
GET THE FUCK OUT
>>
File: 1431816719727.png (695KB, 1111x650px) Image search: [Google]
1431816719727.png
695KB, 1111x650px
>>52695908
YOOOOOO LOL
>>
>>52695361
I'll be dead bro. Quantum uncertainty makes stimulating the universe impossible in the universe virtual me will never live to feel pain
>>
File: 1453939899351.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453939899351.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>52695979
>stimulating
kek
>>
my internet just disconnected for 10 seconds and now it's really slow
>>
Please resume normal thread discussion.
>>
help
>>
my
>>
conquest
>>

. .

initiali

-ze

. .
>>
>>52693321
Because people who aren't computer savvy think computers run on magic.

Any A.I errors/mistakes are due to programming errors or inadequate research/algorithms.
>>
>>52695462
Dude, this wiki is pure gold.
Kudos
>>
>>52694120
Kek
>>
>>52694065
Gee that's really funny and smart!!!
>>
>>52696238
>>52696302
>>52696307
>>52696360
fuck off CAIMEO
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.