[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Arch Linux
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 28
File: 1447181521429.png (226 KB, 468x345) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1447181521429.png
226 KB, 468x345
>In class, professor and PA are checking out our programs due by walking desk-to-desk
>We're allowed to use whatever we want, linux, windows, or mac, but professor recommends we use a VirtualBox'd ubuntu
>Professor checks the first person out, does what he needs to do, Okay.
>Next person
>"Hey uhh hahah can you get to me last? I have an arch linux distribution i'm using but it's not working right now... I just need like 10 minutes
>"Arch linux huh? wow, okay"
>mfw

>They finish up everyone else in the class, professor comes back to the arch linux kid
>"Can I just show you on Tuesday? It's still not working haha..."

>Arch Linux
Why do people use this meme distribution again? By the time one finishes doing their daily maintenance routine with it they might as well have threw out their hard drive, bought another one and installed a real distribution on it
>>
>>52680917
Just curious, what was the issue? Never had a problem with Arch, actually senpai.
>>
It's a fucking /g/ meme, there's no valid reason to use it.
>>
>>52681041
There is if you want a lightweight Distro that you can customize to your needs/liking.
>>
>>52681154
You just want choice, admit it anon
>>
>>52681154
Ubuntu Minimal > Arch
>>
>>52681154
There are better choices than Arch for that.

Like Gentoo.
>>
>>52681346
Ubuntu resources have nothing on the Arch Wiki. OpenBSD is the only other Distro with better paperwork that I can think of.
>>
>>52681373
Maybe, but Arch just hits a soft spot in my heart.
>>
>>52680917
it's a meme for loonix fags to prove to other loonix fags that they're superior because they use a meme distro that is held together with gum and Popsicle sticks.
>>
>>52681402
What are you trying to prove, here? Do you think much of the info on the arch wiki does not apply to ubuntu?
>>
>>52681458
True. It all comes down to preferences and needs.>>52681458
>>
>>52681458
What's OP trying to prove, here?
I'm willing to bet that his story never happened, and he's just some retard shitposting.
>>
>>52681432

At least gentoo is documented.
>>
>>52681531
>What is the Arch Wiki?
>>
No idea what is wrong with arch and /g/ can never provide any reason
>>
File: 1440309320454.png (263 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1440309320454.png
263 KB, 1660x1940
>>52681590
>>
>>52681041
Actually, the real meme is saying that it breaks often.
>>
File: homosimpson.png (113 KB, 359x332) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
homosimpson.png
113 KB, 359x332
>>52681555
>Wiki
>>
>>52681590
way too high maintenance and tedious considering the lack of advantages over any other good distro
>>
>>52681602
Somebody couldn't use Linux so they made that image. Great
>>
>>52681602
Cool meme, did you pick it up from the Funny sub-reddit?
>>
File: 144019283750.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
144019283750.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>52681508
not OP but on the contrary, I have run into exactly 1 person in class who used Arch. He had a generic Dell laptop he used for class that was multi-booting several OS's. Windows, Ubuntu, Debian,Fedora, and Arch. Turns out his friend who uses Linux daily said to play around with several of the big name Linux distros to find the one he clicks with. Apparently he mentioned his searching in a forum he goes to and someone mentioned how he NEEDED to try Arch.

His conclusion?
>Windows
Just werks but slow and needy
>Debian
JUST works (meaning barely) because his WiFi card and USB 3.0 port weren't working properly in Debian due to some driver conflict
>Ubuntu (Unity)
Werks, full Linux experience, just as slow as windows.
>Fedora
Never even got it to boot.
>Arch
"Why the fuck won't it boot? Where is the desktop? All I get is a black screen with a cursor and when I ask the forums they tell me to read and learn"

Needless to say he stuck with Windows for a while, then found Xubuntu and uses that to this day as his daily Use OS.
>>
>>52681615
See
>>52681623
>>
>>52681612
All the answers are in it.
>>
>>52681612
Do you want to constantly be spoon fed?
>>
>>52681645
See
>>52681602
>>
>>52681635
Why won't his Arch boot, anon? There has to be an explanation, I never had this problem
>>
>>52681737
you got me. I don't fuck with Arch/gentoo. I'm a proud Mint babby since Mint 15 hit.I do know however that this was all before Arch installers were really a thing. He grabbed the files for the install but didn't know there was like a list of steps he had to follow word for word.
>>
File: 1453286854928.png (52 KB, 414x248) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1453286854928.png
52 KB, 414x248
>>52681772
Mint is a truly a good distro.
Yeah, he should've probably taken a good look at the beginners' wiki. The good and bad things about Arch is you configure your GUI yourself. Therefore I'd say it's a distro for intermediate/advanced users
>>
>>52681704
Nice meme faggot
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa4pC2STNUs
>>
>>52682259
>not 【Collaboration】International Wrestling Festival 2015 -WORLD OF ANIKI-【Gay Year's Eve】
>>
Debian with lxde or cinnamon
>>
>>52682329
Debian eithout non-free repos!
Good m80
>>
>>52682278
Why are you talking instead of posting it, huh? You like embarrassing me?
>>
>>52681602
can we go half a day without this image being posted?
>>
>Install arch to learn linux a bit more
>it teachers me a lot. Sure I am running it more as a hobby vs a real work desktop but I use it as a work desktop nonetheless since I have become decent at unfucking it when it goes down
>decide to take the next step
>I am going to start reading linux from scratch on monday
>I will be a some what decent linux user one day!

Still I am not planning on running lfs as my primary system, but I want to learn from it. Maybe after I will install something more stable after I get a rough idea how linux works
>>
>>52681346
ubuntu < anything
>>
Rhel 5 senpai
>>
>>52682839
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>52680917
What the fuck? The guy was probably just shilling for an excuse. You literally can't break a program like that like actually what in the actual fuck
>>
>>52682943
Ebin
>>
>>52681635
actually my first distro was fedora, its kinda okayish but their community is really shitty, RedHat Circlejerk
>>
>>52681373
>>52681531
Based gentoo.
Arch is for lames.
>>
>>52682943
So you are saying Windows 10 is better than Ubuntu
>>
>>52680917
>Arch Linux
>Why do people use this meme distribution again?

Remember being fresh in highschool and all the older "cool kids" smoked so you tried it out too? Yeah it's pretty much like that.
>>
File: 1425456502577.png (12 KB, 250x156) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1425456502577.png
12 KB, 250x156
>spend all day installing and configuring arch
>run pacman -Syu
>everything breaks
>spend an hour installing and configuring debian instead
>apt-get update all day every day
>>
/g/ falls for these baits everyday.
>>
>>52680917
Because of the AUR and having a light system (which actually doesn't break on updates pretty much everytime). I actually ran Arch when I was in school and it served me well. I tried Gentoo but there is some stuff missing that I get from the AUR, but I intend on switching over once I resolve that. Not to knock other distros though. I started on Fedora with i3.

>>52683559
All day erry day
>>
>>52681531
Having to spend hours every day compiling packages is no fun.
>>
>>52683514
>>spend all day installing and configuring arch
>>run pacman -Syu
>>everything breaks

>Installs packages
>Updates on the fucking same day
>Now it breaks

Nice meme, anon
>>
Either I am a spastic flid or some of you are. It took me a day to set up Arch and everything I use. Only issues I've ever had are related to shity Nvidia Optimus support.
>>
>fall for arch meme
>finally get thinkpad working, wireless etc
>pacman -Syu
>reboot because kernel update
>cpu0 not found
>>
>>52683929
arch on a thinkpad T series and X series (minus tablets) works all OOB.

srly this is terrible bait
>>
>>52680917
Don't use arch on a computer you need to work. Arch is used as a error simulator for recreational troubleshooting exotic errors that you won't get with other distros. It's good for education and fun if you like reading documentation and stuff. This is why arch is not used on servers or in professional context. Even the most hardent arch users would never use it professionally (because they would lose their jobs fast when the errors start coming in, it is way too unstable)

It's a distro for people who have the time to really understand stuff, you need about 20 hours per week for troubleshooting, maintainance and reading documentation to get stuff to work. So it is mainly used for recreational troubleshooting.

if you need something that works then use a normal distro. Debian, openSUSE, ubuntu (including xubuntu, kubuntu, lubuntu etc.) , mint or Cent OS for that enterprise twist.

Only use Arch on computers you use for recreation if you love troubleshooting weird errors and not on a computer you need and rely on. I used Arch, but then I needed it for university so I installed Lubuntu. Because I don't have 20 hours a week troubleshooting time, like when suddenly my 'æoå' letters don't work after a update and I have to look through configs and documentation to change it. Or when the sound turns itself off after 2 minutes until restart and i need to figure out what the problem is. Very fun to troubleshoot, which is the whole point of Arch, but now I need something that just works without issues so I use lubuntu.
>>
>>52683514
>>52683929
things that never happened
>>
>>52680917
What an enjoyable and funny totally true story that totally 100% happened.
>>
>>52681402
>Ubuntu resources have nothing on the Arch Wiki.

The Arch wiki is pretty shit, it assumes people have a MA in computer science and just skips important steps that normal people need.

Ubuntu resources are better because they are way simpler and explain everything. Also most troubleshooting on the internet are for ubuntu or debian based systems. Anyone who don't work with computers have no use for the Arch wiki, it's shit. The reason Arch is difficult to install is ONLY because the Arch Wiki is so badly documented. The "beginner install guide" don't explain anything, unless you already know how to set up partitions and what drivers you are supposed to get you are fucked, because the arch wiki don't help with that. So most noobs need to use random arch install videos on youtube to get some inkling on what to do, because the arch wiki is useless unless you already know enough to not need it.
>>
File: 1453571914997.jpg (165 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1453571914997.jpg
165 KB, 688x1434
Arch is premium-tier meme
>>
>>52683999
im very tempted to install debian.. but having a thinkpad x220t im afraid it doesnt have the flexibility AUR gives me. no thinkpad scripts and stuff.
>>
>>52683999
has debian already moved to systemd? if yes i jumping in right now.
>>
just install the LTS version of the kernel and you're fine
>>
>>52684055
I understood arch wiki perfectly when I was 15 years old and I'm not even native english speaker
>>
After I set my Arch Distribution up I only had one issue and that's when I tried switching from Noveau to Nvidia proprietary drivers. Other than that arch was the most stable operating system I've ever used. My lack of knowledge for all of the software I needed to have an extra smooth experience made it a little difficult to use long term.

I don't understand why people can't just respect other peoples decisions. This is why the Linux community is failing. Basic computer literacy should be advocated but ignorance or unwillingness to learn should not be castrated.

I started with Ubuntu. This was before 11.04 came out and it wasn't the best experience so I went to Fedora and enjoyed it for almost 2 years. Then I went back to windows. Then I went to Fedora, then Debian, then windows, then Arch. Used arch for 3 months before I switched to windows 10. Currently preparing to leave install Ubuntu and Windows 10 on separate drives with Ubuntu as my main. I enjoy advocating computer literacy and educating others in the benefits of Linux systems and Linux/Windows dual boot setups. To promote general knowledge, reliability, corporate corruptness and the importance of using free software when its available or convenient.

I currently only use windows for muh gayms in my free time. I use Linux for everything else including media consumption.

Why cant everybody have the mindset that I have? Why can't you encourage Linux use through politeness and education? You people literally push newcomers out of the world of Linux with your constant bickering and fighting among each other.

Look at Apple. Apple people like other Apple people just because they use Apple. Stop arguing with each other. You're just as bad as NVIDIA vs AMD vs INTEL
>>
>>52681737
He is booting, just doesnt know that all you have on begin is a tty. That or he fked up genfstab (happened to me, mispelled it, and was very frustrated beacause i didnt notice it for 3 days
>>
>>52681602
>linux user
>going outside or socializing
Let's be honest here
>>
so much this ^^^
>>
Yeah I use Antergos (baby Arch), because I distro hop a lot and don't have time to actually install Arch and I don't have too many issues other than small stupid gui bugs. I use Arch with caution, check bug tracker, don't fucking update before something important, etc. Arch is good if you know what you're doing. Idk why beginners try to use it.. Maybe the 'next person' should be using something they can handle such as Hannah Montana Linux.
>>
> running arch on my ThinkPad x230 since I got it from uni
> Had to disable 11n otherwise wifi wouldn't work consistently, same problem with other distros
> no other issues
> using it for work for more than 3 years now

I don't get the arch hate here. Obviously not something for servers or proper programming work. Works well for scientific stuff, statistics and personal use.

Started using Ubuntu, I had much more issues with Ubuntu, especially after Gnome2 was abandoned and neither Gnome3 or Unity worked properly out of the box. Each time they upgraded to a new version, everything would break. And you needed ppas for everything, otherwise even vim was outdated. Even worse with the LTS version. Started using XFCE and Arch, never looked back.
>>
>>52683999
This post was either made by someone who's never used arch, or never used any other Linux distribution.

If sound or non-english fonts not working is an "exotic" error to you then clearly you don't use Linux. Sound has inexplicably stopped working on every distro I've used IIRC.
>>
>>52684407
this desu
>>
>>52684085
LMAO
>>
>>52680917
>one person who uses something is an idiot
>HURRDURR must be the software's fault!
>>
>>52683999
BS, I had Arch Linux with bspwm over a year without any breaks.
>>
>>52683999
I would probably use openBSD if it was possible
>>
File: 1453710967783.gif (4 MB, 356x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1453710967783.gif
4 MB, 356x200
>tfw I've never actually had any problems with Arch unless I let it sit for months on end and then decide to finally update everything
>tfw I use it as a daily driver for everything but games and recording music which I have W7 on a separate partition

I don't get what everybody's problems are.
>>
>ITT people bragging about how 1337 they are so they don't have any problems with Arch because they set it up with their 1337 skillz.
>>
>>52681337
>he just wants choice

No shit? I've never made a connection between the concept of choice and customization. If such a connection truly exists though....WOW! Fucking wow! That changed fucking everything. You should publish your findings anon. This shit is potentially revolutionary.
>>
>>52684927
ITT: people cling to the preconceived notion that Arch is a meme only operating system that is guaranteed to break on a daily basis.
>>
>>52685010
I have used Arch for a year and constantly had different problems. All my day went to reading documentation and troubleshooting, it was nearly a fulltime job. Very educational, but a neverending array of problems. When you finally fix the sound or something and then update then it breaks again in a completely new and exotic way. Googling most of the errors you get in Arch has no solutions because the problems are new and exciting results from the bleeding edge software. The wiki is shit btw. Only good thing about Arch is Pacman and the AUR.

It's not something people should use if they need their computer for something other than pure recreation. Very easy to have a completely broken install that barely works and you almost need to hack yourself into the computer every time you boot up by manually running this or that because for some reason it don't want to automatically run the services you need.

Arch have that reputation because it is the most common experience with Arch. These people bragging about their smoothly configured Arch install also know this.
>>
>>52685095
Stop your shilling for YOUR experience. Maybe for YOU it was breaking every other day and maybe for YOU its only good for recreation.

NO bleeding edge software or operating system should be used for work or sensitive data ever because its likely that something will happen to it. That's why XP was supported for so long.

I used arch every day as a true Linux babby and fucked around with the config settings, init, sound and video drivers, extension and file support, compilers and much more compatibility software and only had it break once and that was about an hour after my first installation when switching from open source video drivers to proprietary.

I used arch every day with no breaks in my system during updates or configuration edits because I read the documentation before I went into something. Nothing took more than 5-10 minutes to do because while the documentation may not be newbie friendly, anybody who has an idea of how computers work can read it just fine.
>>
File: VVHXCCd.png (117 KB, 1465x1007) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
VVHXCCd.png
117 KB, 1465x1007
>>52685139
>i know how Loonux werks you N00buntu loser!
>>
>>52685161
Kek. You're an idiot who can't read.

Somebody is claiming that Arch is essentially an experimental piece of software that is guaranteed to be a time sink for anybody that uses it when that simply is not the case.

It's a lightweight distribution designed for people with more knowledge of the Linux system than the average user. It's a highly configurable distro that has to the potential to meet any single users needs, giving they set it up properly.

I currently use Ubuntu and Windows 10 because Arch didn't provide a pleasant enough experience for me and I didn't have the time to sit down and configure it all in one go. There are other distribution on the market that come smooth out of the box. They have their compromises in what I'm looking for but its more convenient to use them.

When I have more time I'll most certainly be returning to Arch.
>>
>>52685139
>I used arch every day with no breaks in my system during updates or configuration edits because I read the documentation before I went into something. Nothing took more than 5-10 minutes to do because while the documentation may not be newbie friendly, anybody who has an idea of how computers work can read it just fine.

I had used linux for many many years before I started using Arch and it used most of the day. I don't have a CS degree, but I do have a MSc in Civil engineering and I have used computers all my life. I know programming, I know math and I am not afraid of technicalities. The Arch wiki assumes more knowledge than I have, it is a good starting point I guess, but it skips steps all together and is generally shit.

It's like reading a calculus or differential equations book without examples. It is only useful as a recreational distro, stop trolling people who might install it. You might end up with situations like OP experienced, it is only good for people who find enjoyment from fixing computer problems. If troubleshooting is your hobby, then Arch is great. It was fun to find solutions to all these crazy problems, but don't trick people into thinking problems are not common on Arch, because it is.
>>
What about manjaro guys?
Personally, I found it to be a little worse than Arch:
- For no reason, it randomly starts 2 xorg processes.
- Neovim doesn't work with some plugins like tagbar, never happened with any other distribution.
- have to reboot it at least one time a day
But I think the philosophy is better. I don't like the bleeding edge aspect of arch.

I remember having some random problems when I installed an ubuntu minimal + openbox years ago that I never found in arch.
Maybe it's different now though.

But right now, I'm using arch on my professional PC (windows 10 at home) because it just werks with my setup (i3+neovim mainly).
>>
File: 1451139850938.jpg (234 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451139850938.jpg
234 KB, 688x1434
ITT people who never installed Arch just keep throwing irrational hate towards the distro.

Let me remind you that Arch does what you tell it to, but if you're such a massive piece of retarded shit then of course Arch will break.

Git gud and lurk more faggots instead of hating on something that is too much for your retarded head
>>
>>52685241
Stop leading people to believe that Arch is only good for learning Linux or troubleshooting.

It's a good piece of stable software that can easily become unstable if you don't know what you're doing.

You're misleading people who want to learn Linux and learn the CLI and learn how one thing plugs into another by forcing them into distributions that handle everything for them.

Somebody who wants to use Linux but doesn't want to build from the ground up already knows that they don't want arch Linux. Somebody who isn't a programmer and has no intention to be already knows they don't want Linux.

But berated a forum where a surprisingly large amount of people go for advice and claiming that Arch is not useful for anything other than learning how to fix problems is BULLSHIT. Because YOU continuously fucked your shit up doesn't mean anything. Knowing how to program doesn't qualify you for Linux.

Go into any Linux thread or ricer thread and ask somebody with real Linux experience and they'll tell you that Arch is a stable operating system that gives the user power to make it unstable. It's for power users who know what they are doing.
>>
File: careful.png (7 KB, 224x225) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
careful.png
7 KB, 224x225
>>52685286
>Arch
>good piece of stable software
:^)
>>
File: image_2.png (121 KB, 694x801) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image_2.png
121 KB, 694x801
>>52685385
>I know nothing about Linux
The post
>>
>>52685095
>i have absolutely no idea what I'm doing
This isn't a problem with Arch, or any other distro.
>>
File: 1445700408567.jpg (66 KB, 600x874) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1445700408567.jpg
66 KB, 600x874
>win/ubuntu fags too dumb to use arch
>i-i-it's archs fault not mine

epic memes, using arch testing since 2 years+ and never had a problem.
>>
>>52685286
You are contradicting yourself
> It's a good piece of stable software that can easily become unstable if you don't know what you're doing.
while at the same time you want people who don't know how it works to use it, you troll.
>You're misleading people who want to learn Linux and learn the CLI

So you claim it's a distro for powerusers who know what they are doing (of course it is, it breaks all the time). You need to be a computer expert to keep it going, just like a homemade car needs you to have complete knowledge of everything unless something completely breaks and you are stuck. If I did not have a MSc and years of running personal servers and so on I would probably spend way more hours troubleshooting. You need to be someone who have expert knowledge and able to troubleshoot quickly to be able to use it. Which is why people brag about having a smooth Arch distro because they pretend they have a foolproof setup due to their config skills and deep knowledge of operating systems.

You of course need more knowledge than just programming to be able to run Arch. It's for power users who know what they are doing. And why is that? It's because it's a fragile unstable OS that breaks if you look at it wrong, you need to know how to do everything before you attempt anything. Which is why people use Arch, for the nerd cred so they can brag. If you want a minimal install there are more stable systems that are easier to use, people use Arch BECAUSE it is harder to use and breaks easily. That way they can brag about how their Arch never breaks because they are so 1337. The OS breaks very easily, which is why you claim it's for power users who know what they are doing.

And you still want to troll newbies to use it. I had no problems with the CLI as a veteran adult Linux user. I managed to fix the problems that turned up, but new problems came cropping up all the time even though I only used it for shitposting on the internet and looking at movies.
>>
>>52682839
i like you. this post gave me comfort.
>>
>>52685628
>Linux breaks when I don't touch it
>Cars break when you don't touch them

>Give me a frame and an engine with no other parts.
>Complain when I hooked up the windows wrong and they fell off the track
>Complain when the audio doesn't work because I don't know how to wire and shield speakers

Let me guess, I bet you think Linux from scratch is garbage too, huh? Arch is a system made for power users. A power user in the making is still a power user.

Try again, my child.
>>
>>52681032
This. I've been running it 24/7 for years on a personal server of mine, as well as several company servers and I've never had anything break from updating.
>>
>>52681154

What is Lubuntu?
>>
>>52684163

No one cares that you figured out how to install Arch last year
>>
File: 1442631877854.gif (992 KB, 389x259) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1442631877854.gif
992 KB, 389x259
>>52684055
>The Arch wiki is pretty shit
sorry that you can't read properly retarded fuck
>>
God I love Arch hate threads. Arch is the worst piece of shit distro you could install on a computer. glad to see /g/ finally hates it.
>>
File: 1452128751751.jpg (13 KB, 400x384) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452128751751.jpg
13 KB, 400x384
>>52685896
but you can't even install it anon...
>>
>>52680917
This is honestly why I stick to Windows for school. I need something that just werks when I'm at school trying to get shit done.
>>
>>52680917
arch linux user for 5 years here
it broke only once for me 3 years ago and it was because nvidia was lazy as fuck and didn't release updated drivers on time
i just switched to nouveau and have been happy since then
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 480x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 480x360
>>52685286
Holy shit this post
>>
>>52685935
Used it for a year on several different systems. In fact I think I sill have an old thinkpad with arch on it.
>>
>>52683981
Just works for my tablet too
>>
File: install gentoo.jpg (28 KB, 638x359) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
install gentoo.jpg
28 KB, 638x359
Gentoo > Funtoo >>> Arch
>>
>>52680917
That classmate was one of the few that shouldn't have been running arch linux.
>>
>>52685286
So, how long is that you've been unemployed at this point? You seem to be in pretty deep bro.
>>
>Why do people use this meme distribution again?
Because in the hands of sane, rational people who don't expect magical things to happen without ever touching a manpage in their life, it's just a different means to the same end.
>>
>>52686344
>because OMG YOU SAD NOOBUNTU PPL GET AWAY FROM MY MASTER HAXX0R DISTRO HOLY SHIET

That's how your comment reads anon.
>>
>>52686321
Employed full time throughout the entire process.

Being retarded is no excuse to trash Arch. Just because you can't into full Linux doesn't mean others can't. Doesn't mean they should either. There is nothing wrong with Ubuntu, mind, Fedora, arch or any other distro of choice.

It's all about the end user and the goal. Stop being a whiny bitch.
>>
File: 1451830005016.jpg (134 KB, 433x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451830005016.jpg
134 KB, 433x480
>>52683514
>debian
>apt-get update all day every day
That's because it never installs anything
>>
>>52686401
see >>52686383
>>
>>52686383
No it doesn't. That's your literal autism coming out. Just because other distributions work OTB and are harder to break doesn't mean that they are the only options.

>>52686420
See above.
>>
>>52680917
There's nothing wrong with Arch, but he should have picked a distro that would have been a quicker install, I'm sure he was rushing and messed up somewhere.
>>
>>52686383
Then I have my doubts as to whether you actually read it, because I implied the exact opposite.
>>
>In this thread: people who don't have the skills to properly set up and use Arch complaining about how Arch is too difficult to get working properly

Well, shit
>>
>>52683514
>spend all day installing and configuring Arch
>run pacman -Syu
>it werks
>>
File: pinkyring.png (1 MB, 1200x1000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
pinkyring.png
1 MB, 1200x1000
this entire thread proves how easy and hilarious it is to troll archfags. Almost as funny as trolling fedorafags
>>
>>52686486
But anon, half of the Arch-bashers probably aren't trolling
>>
>>52686486
Please fuck off to Reddit if you're going to use the term trolling unironically
>>
>>52686486
>hey anon what are you doing this friday?
trolling arch-fags LMAO
>>
>>52680917
Nice blog
>>>/v/
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 474x503) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 474x503
>>52686446
>skills
Don't you mean copy and pasting commands from the wiki lmao
>>
>>52681154
Name one distribution you cannot customize to your liking

This is the worst possible reason to use any distribution, it's something they all have in common
>>
>>52680917
Should have installed gentoo
>newfag
>>
>>52686582
Eyyy, you're right
>>
>in server class
>teacher asking what previous linux distribution we've used
>starts near me and I don't want to look like a poser
>tell him I run debian at home
>rest of class, hardly anyone has even tried ubuntu
I could have said I used arch linux and no one would have cared but /g/ made me paranoid
>>
>>52686643
Yeah... But... With Arch you don't get spoonfed. You need to deal with all sort of technical shit or else your distro breaks apart. Only the best can do it, so it's better.
>>
>>52684215
>fked
Fuck off kid
>>
>>52682486
Here
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koLPQRpEAVU

I like the VVVVV mash up the most.
>>
>>52686643
You can customize any distro, sure, but most people don't install something like Mint for that reason, they do it because it already has most of what they need and minimum work is needed to get it set up.
I always laugh when people say "W-well, you can customize Ubuntu just as much as Arch". Yeah, but are you actually going to?
>>
>>52686426
This, if you haven't installed it before you will mess up. I took me about two hours my first time having never really used linux before. I just did it last night in fifteen minutes
>>
>>52680917
To learn about Linux.
>>
>>52686868
Lubuntu by far. Very elegant.

I also like Crunchbang linux, it's logo is literally #!

Alpine Linux also is interesting.

I don't like linux mint's logo, but I have seen a cool variation of it here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=151363
>>
>>52686582
Except you cant copy paste cause Internet doesn't work
>>
>>52686685
Wew lad do people actually think this
>>
>>52687073
That person have never installed Arch, it is rude to point those things out.
>>
>>52686812
If they weren't going to customize because that's not what they want out of Linux, why is it wrong of them to use XUbuntu/Mint/etc?
>>
>>52680917
you have problems on arch when you make yourself ones. If you know what you are doing, it will just work, few weeks in on my new fresh install, everything works the way I want, nothing breaks, friend has his instalation for 2 years, automatic updating he wrote himself, all working says he never had an issue
>>
>>52681615
what maintance? its all automatic if you make it automatic. and yes I like my way of automatic way better than what you get on your microsoft shit that is tracking every keystroke you make. and dont come to me with I dont have nothing to hide hipster shit, its not about hiding its about saving the world by not falling under the giant like microsoft is that as we saw with win 8, turned in just money making
>>
>>52680917
Is Arch used in any business settings? Does learning to use Arch give you skills you can use to develop your career? If it's just a fun desktop OS, I'm struggling to see how it has any purpose. I just don't see it as fun. Different strokes I guess.

t. Mint user
>>
I run my Puppy Linix from USB, behind 7 firewalls. Take that, fuckheads.
>>
>>52686812
What you are saying is basically that Arch is a meme distro
>>
>>52687376
I don't have a problem with it, the other anon was just trying to say that Arch being customizable wasn't an advantage of it when it's one of the stronger points for it
Better to build from the ground up than have to uninstall a bunch of shit you wouldn't need first
>>52688580
No?
>>
>>52688247
>Is Arch used in any business settings?

Look at newly bankrupt companies, they might have had a server or some mission critical equipment running Arch. But it's rare to have someone with enough knowledge to run Arch which is at the same time stupid enough to run it on a production machine.

>Does learning to use Arch give you skills you can use to develop your career?

Yes, you will get tons of experience in reading documentation, troubleshooting and solving unusual problems. It gives you improvisation skills.
>>
File: g - technology.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
g - technology.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Reality of it is it's just a meme. Arch in itself almost never break and you'd have to go out of your way to make it break somehow.

Though, since most of /g/ uses Windows anyway and are just spouting old memes, this will never change.
You will all probably see Arch as pure shit, as if somehow your opinion matters to anyone and as if you actually know something about the OS, or hell, even GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52688654
>Debian is used for servers
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Most corporate servers run CentOS. If you ever mention Debian in an interview you'll just be seen as a hobbyist.
>>
>>52688679
autism thinly veiled as misguided elitism: the post
>>
>>52688717
You misunderstand, I really don't give a shit about Arch.
>>
File: 1447269431883.png (156 KB, 270x270) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1447269431883.png
156 KB, 270x270
>>52680917
>>
>>52688247
You learn how to debug tasks that other operating systems do automatically. You learn how to read documentation and google problems.
>>
>>52685713
Running arch on a server is stupid and ur stupid
>>
>>52685139
>I used arch every day with no breaks in my system during updates or configuration edits because I read the documentation before I went into something. Nothing took more than 5-10 minutes to do because while the documentation may not be newbie friendly, anybody who has an idea of how computers work can read it just fine.
I've got numerous Arch installs across a handful of machines and never have any problems with anything. I don't even bother reading the update warnings and nothing breaks.I have to ask; "How retarded is the average /g/ faggot these days?" I don't even consider myself to be all that great with computers.
>>
>>52685264
I thought Manjaro was great until I tried Arch. I don't even care about the all the drama that surrounds the distro, it just isn't as stable as Arch for whatever reason.
>>
>>52689453
Pretty retarded. I'm willing to bet that a good portion of /g/ was an aspiring gamer who learned everything they know on /g/. Which is okay if you provide your input in a courteous way and don't act like an entitled asshole. But apart from Fedora and Ubuntu, I had to experience at all in Linux. Especially bash. Only Java, C#, little C++, and grade A A+ knowledge on hardware and Windows. Never had issues with arch. Like I said just breaking my drivers when switching from Noveau to Nvidia.
>>
>>52689435
He does what he wants on his personal server. Also backups
>>
>>52685628
>You need to be a computer expert to keep it going, just like a homemade car needs you to have complete knowledge of everything unless something completely breaks and you are stuck. If I did not have a MSc and years of running personal servers and so on I would probably spend way more hours troubleshooting. You need to be someone who have expert knowledge and able to troubleshoot quickly to be able to use it.
Nigger,have you ever used any non-Arch distro? You'll have problems with any of them until you find the magic combo that suits your hardware.Arch is Linux just like any other distro,what makes it great is it's plain vanilla packages and lightweight base. That's it! There's no magic or hidden difficulties, or conspiracies to make people look dumb, it's just a simple distro.
>>
>>52685751
Being 20, not a native English speaker, I installed it in a few days.

But I agree the Gentoo one is far better.
>>
>>52689435
It's not as dangerous as you think,servers tend to be pretty minimal in terms of installed software. If you aren't running a GUI and sorts of nonsense, you'd have virtually zero issues with most any Linux distro.
>>
>>52681610
/thread
>>
>>52689613
>Nigger,have you ever used any non-Arch distro?

TONS, debian based, fedora, open suse etc.

> You'll have problems with any of them until you find the magic combo that suits your hardware.

Not anywhere like Arch. Pain to install, pain to use if you don't like troubleshooting.
>>
>156 replies and 23 images omitted
Look, you idiots.

REPORT TROLLS
****DO NOT FUCKING REPLY TO TROLLS****
****DO NOT FUCKING REPLY TO TROLLS****
HIDE THE FUCKING THREAD

YOU FUCKING CUNTSTAIN SHITS ARE THE REASON /g/ IS SHIT
>>
>>52689684
>Pain to install
I'll give you that much.
>Troubleshooting
Not so much.On the rare occasion that a problem appears, theres always an autist in the forums eager to point out your problems and how to fix them.But hey, use what you want.
>>
>>52685161
This has to be a Canonical material.

I can't believe someone gets bored enough to draw these shits.
>>
>>52689862
>Canonical material
That's the wallpaper slated to ship with X-rated Xerus.
>>
>>52686582
You've obviously never gone beyond copy/pasting commands from the Arch wiki. Great.
>>
>>52689684
Basically you install it like any other minimal distro so it's fairly easy to install if you actually read into it.
I switched all my server stuff to Gentoo hardened and it's quite easy because on servers you don't need alot of configuring because less programs + tighter security(only real thing to configure)
>>
File: 1453966796024.jpg (22 KB, 198x346) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1453966796024.jpg
22 KB, 198x346
>>52685139
>bleeding edge
>>
File: 1431169443562.png (19 KB, 931x969) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1431169443562.png
19 KB, 931x969
>>52690455
You're the only person who pointed that out for a reason.

(hint: because you're implication is wrong)
>>
>>52690490
>using the smiley with the timesinkOS nose
>>
>>52690519
Here's your (you)
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>52690490
This is you
>>
>>52681610
only breaking that ever happens with my arch is totally self inflicted because I like to fuck with things

and it's usually a pretty easy fix if you backup files and keep a liveusb handy
>>
>>52690589
I'm pretty thin, anon. I work out every day and do security as a side job while I finish CE at a top 25 national school.

Why would you make fun of me anonymously over the internet?
>>
you probably updated your mirrorlist and forgot to uncomment any mirrors is my guess
>>
File: 1387417146903.jpg (38 KB, 350x350) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1387417146903.jpg
38 KB, 350x350
>>52685713
>as well as several company servers

Literally why? What possible benefit is there to using arch on a server?
>>
>>52685286
>It's a good piece of stable software
>stable software
HO HO HO
>>
>use arch for years on my personal machines
>blindly run updates all the time
>it just werks
>>
>>52681041
Arch being bad is the meme, actually. The OP is lying.
>>
>>52690759
>be phd student using loonix to ssh into supercomputer for simulations
>using arch
>keeps removing essential texlive packages before paper submission deadlines
>matlab refused to install properly, loads but huge grey box, can only run from terminal. No problem but have to save plots to view them.
>we would like you to install this software and test functionality anon. Go to website. Supported: Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, SUSE. Try to build from source. It miraculously works.
>Stops working halfway through report.
>Texlive packages removed again

Get disappointed email from supervisor about my technical problems. Send me to IT department. Guy looks at me like I'm a retard and asks why I'm running arch on a laptop with 8gb of ram and an i5.

Install fedora instead. No problems.
>>
>>52683981
Can confirm. Running it on T420, T60p, and X220T.
>>
>>52684085
>broken xorg.conf
you don't even need a xorg.conf lel who made this?

I'm not just being a faggot and implying you can do everything in a TTY either, you literally don't need one at all for any reason
>>
>linux in general
Comp science degree required.
>Flash not worth using
>compile this complie that
>massive faggotry in any distro IRC
When alls said and done winvirus wins hands down for people who just want to surf the web,download and play games.
Other than that,programmers hackers etc have a genuine need for linux/bsd etc.
>>
>>52691017
>Guy looks at me like I'm a retard and asks why I'm running arch on a laptop with 8gb of ram and an i5.
Yeah, I almost half-believed you until this. I'm using an i7 and 560ti on Arch. There's no reason to only use certain distros on things with bad specs.
>>
>>52691017
>texlive packages magically disappearing
Except this doesn't actually happen unless you remove them with pacman.
>>
>>52691050
>Comp science degree required.
lolwut?

I can't even into programming and I think Arch is easy to use. You're not even stupid, you literally just aren't trying.
>>
>>52691017
retard detected
>>
>>52691098
>tongue in cheek
i can into anything when i put my mind to it.
ive never used arch so i cant comment,im using puppy slacko at the moment.
>>
>>52691146
>i can into anything when i put my mind to it.
Exactly. You're not putting your mind to it. You're probably even trying not to understand due to the anti-arch propaganda.

When I finally tried Arch it was no more difficult than Debian. The hardest part of the install was using fdisk, since I'm used to gparted.
>>
>>52691166
im just here to enjoy the circle jerking debate.
i like the distro im using at the moment,when i get bored of it i may try arch.
>a thousand anime fags cant be wrong,right?
>>
>>52690723
The reason I first looked into it was that I couldn't get Xen to work on Debian. Then when I started using it, I realized it was superior to Ubuntu and Debian in pretty much every way and I've been using it ever since.
>>
probably trying to just look like a hipster

just use some debian based distro or redhat distro like any normal non-neet would
Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 28
Thread DB ID: 476891



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.