[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is so bad about making money from apps you code? I mean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

What is so bad about making money from apps you code?

I mean how else will you survive?

All i see is g bitching as to why popular crap iajt ffree and instead of supporting devs that do make free shit. They instead bitch about the quality as if said dev had the power of a huge company.

It's like a caveman made a house and made another house he ddint need. So he thought to himself. What if i gave this to another caveman in exchange for food so I can profit off my work?

Tell me why this board is so full of unrealistic fucking people.
>>
You write proprietary software at work and write free software in your spare time.
This is the best way.
>>
You can make money of free software
>>
>>52646549
Ads are just as sinful
>>
>>52646473
If you're referring to the GPL, which I assume you are because of the Richard Stallman picture, he encourages you to price your software as you wish.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html
>High or low fees, and the GNU GPL

Except for one special situation, the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL) has no requirements about how much you can charge for distributing a copy of free software. You can charge nothing, a penny, a dollar, or a billion dollars. It's up to you, and the marketplace, so don't complain to us if nobody wants to pay a billion dollars for a copy.
>>
File: 1389180722465.jpg (91KB, 717x428px) Image search: [Google]
1389180722465.jpg
91KB, 717x428px
>>52646473
>>52646929
That's not free software. See a RMS talk
>>
>>52646929

You are allowed to sell free software if you want. It's part of the thing.
>>
>>52646473
Stallman, FSF and Open Source is a meme. Don't waste you time debating with autistic turbonerds who are unemployed and have all the time in the world to nitpick flaws with commercial software that actually works and does the job without forcing the user to waste time doing miscellaneous tasks that can be automated with graphical installers.
>>
>>52647913
"free software" is a deceptive term which implies the absence of monetary transaction. The proper term is ethical software which does not undermine the liberties of the end users and allows auditors to inspect its source code.

Then again I am not surprised the autistic user base had enough functioning brain cells to make this logical deduction.
>>
>>52646473
>be programmer
>be using free sources
>sell products with 2/3 of people's code
>not be giving any thing back
You wanna be pushing your shit for free on the internet? Go ahead buddy, make me rich. Keep on e-cucking yourself faggots
>>
File: 1436739353410.jpg (188KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1436739353410.jpg
188KB, 1280x720px
>>52649466
You better don't do that with GPL software.
>>
>>52649536
LOL if you just knew how many companies abuse that system! Basically every SAAS web soft out there is filled with free crap. They just never give access to sources and if they do, in case of a dedicated in client hosting, they tie the client with a heavy contract saying we trust you to not explore our sources which are intellectual property. So your client can't fuck you over the fact that you are fucking over other people, otherwise they'd lose too much dineros
>>
>>52647925
"free market" is a deceptive term which implies the absence of monetary transaction. The proper term is unplanned but regulated market which does not undermine the liberties of the marketplace and allows regulators to inspect its dealings.

"free speech" is a deceptive term which implies the absence of monetary transaction. The proper term is government non-punishment of speech which does not undermine the liberties of the speaker and allows regulators investigate citizens
>>
>>52649466
>>52649625
If your software is public and you're based in a copyright respecting country, you're eventually going to get caught. People who write the GPL software tend to find out the names of titles that overlap functions with what they've written themselves. From the list of titles that are similar, it's not hard to find evidence of infringing software.
>>
>>52649689
Don't be a dumbass now. You don't expose any of that shit and you only do that for backend shit.
>>
>>52649715
In that case there is no problem. The GPL is a distribution license, not a usage license. If you don't distribute your backend service, there is no problem.
>>
>>52649715
>>52649764
Unless you use agpl, which let's all be honest, is pretty fucking dumb
>>
>>52649764
Which is why you e-cucks need to keep on feeding me with your free shit cause I'm just pluggin shit left and right and making good money haha.
Problem finding a good job? You are killing the good jobs with free shit hahahaha fucking e-cucks faggots
>>
make backdoors
get money from NSA
everybody doing it
>>
>>52649834
>feeding me
You can use the software for whatever you want. That's what "freedom" means. Why is it a bad thing that you can make money freely with the tools you have? Who cares if you're not giving anything back by running the programs on your own machines? You have the freedom to control your own computing, and you're using it. You're welcome.
>>
File: 1452926820164.jpg (12KB, 213x200px) Image search: [Google]
1452926820164.jpg
12KB, 213x200px
>>52646473
>Hello /g/uys i hate freedom and you should too!
No
>>
>>52651920
Because at some point every thing has been coded. Programming is almost dead unless you consider redoing things in a meme framework actually programming. The point is, free programmers are killing their own job in favor to "integrators" who just stack free bricks... It will soon take even less knowledge to put together a software. Hell, it's already the case, I know so many kids who use frameworks but don't really know what they really do code wise.
tldr; programmers are e-cucking themselves down to integrators
>>
>>52652172
>free programmers are killing their own job
>It will soon take even less knowledge to put together a software
I think the fact that people don't have to rewrite the same things over and over again because the previous implementations are copyrighted is a positive, not a negative. Businesses can avoid wasting time and money to reinvent the wheel for the billionth time and instead focus their efforts on building up from what's already there. It's progress vs waste.
>>
>>52647925
No anon, it's actually english language that's retarded and confuses free as in freedom and free as in beer
>>
>>52652172
you're so fucking dumb i have no idea where to being.

using good, efficient and secure code that someone has published under a permissive license is better than having reinvent the fucking wheel everytime because someone has signed a patent and put a courtroom full of lawyers to protect it.
>>
>>52652342
English doesn't confuse, modern colloquialism does. Gratis is "free of charge" in English, which is colloquially shortened to "free"
>>
>>52649834
>here, have this program I made, it's free!
>HAHA KEK KEK KEK IMMA TAKE YOUR SOFTWARE AND GIVE YOU NOTHING. KEK!
>You're welcome..?
Don't you see what a complete assclown you're being here?
>>
>>52646473
Free software programmers do it as a hobby. writing code is like playing dungeons and dragons to them. They also get an ego boost similar to getting likes on Instagram. Overall I'd just call I autism
>>
>>52652715
>I bring nothing to the argument : the post
>>
>>52646473
>>52646514
>>52647916
>>52647925
>>52649466

>implying you can't sell copy-lefted software

2/10 would not read again. come back again when you've improved your arguments
>>
>>52652909
???

What argument?

You're probably never wrote a line of code in their life anyway.
>>
>>52652942
>I haven't read the replies nor the thread and I have an attitude : the post
>>
>>52652965
if you're the guy who says foss devs cuck their own jobs: you're both right and retarded. it's obvious you're 1. not a scientist and 2. extremely liberally right wing because apparently you don't give a single fuck about being an egoistical piece of shit and then yet BOASTING about being one. these people actually help development of technology which muh corporations obviously don't give a flying fuck about. what things to help others on a non personal level have you done? none? thought so

kill your'ereself and stop being autistic
>>
See this is why programming open source software is really fucking confusing.

>write program
>release code in the hope that it is good enough for someone to find useful
>some guy uses it and it is good enough for him to make money
>feel fulfillment and joy at someone finding the product of my hobby useful
>some guy gets on 4chan, "HAHAHAHA I TOOK YOUR CODE AND DID EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED ME TO WITH IT. YOU'RE SUCH A KEK. LOOK AT ME SUCK ALL THESE DICKS. I JUST CAN'T STOP."
>be confuse
>some guy: "HAHAHA YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT. PLZ REPLY TO MY SHIT POSTS. I'LL REPLY BACK AFTER I GET DONE SUCKING A HUNDRED COCKS. PLZ REPLY I NEED ATTENTION. I JUST NEED COCKS MORE SO BE PATIENT WHILE I TAKE THIS BREAK FROM POSTING TO SUCK SOME MORE COCKS."
>ok really confuse now
>>
I don't hate on proprietary software, i hate on proprietary hardware

If i buy something i want it to be completely mine, i don't need someone else providing me drivers and updates even if they are free
>>
>>52654897
>wanting to own something you purchase
What are you, a commie?
>>
>>52646473
Free as in freedom not as in no price.
>>
Don't you only need to provide source code to users under the GPL? Couldn't you make the source code unavailable to all but those who pay for your software? Of course, I assume there is nothing stopping a paying customer from distributing it to others after that. It is what it is...
>>
>>52647925
Let me put it this way. You can't make money off of "ethical" software by RMS's terms because everyone could just modify 1 bit then resell it for cheaper or even nothing. So why the fuck would they buy it from you?
>>
>>52655454
>modify one bit
Even better, they don't need to modify it at all.
>why the fuck would they buy it from you?
I don't know, why would they buy it from you? If you can't answer that, maybe you should reconsider your business plan.
>>
>>52655489
>If you can't answer that, maybe you should reconsider your business plan
Yeah it's called not being a retard and having a copyright.
>>
File: 1419300483711.jpg (35KB, 400x529px) Image search: [Google]
1419300483711.jpg
35KB, 400x529px
>>52646473
saas is the way to go.
Puffin is the only browser I haver ever paid for and I can finally use office in linux with 365
Best way to get a profit in opensource.
>>
>>52655454
>why the fuck would they buy it from you?

they will if my name is Apple and it's shiny and over priced
>>
>>52655501
Perhaps you should take a look at the problem again. You said:
>You can't make money off of "ethical" software
You meant:
>You can't make money off of sales of copies of "ethical" software
Did you consider offering to come by and install and integrate the software into the company's current system? Did you consider offering bug insurance so that when (yes, when) things break, your men can be on the ground and fixing it as soon as possible?
Did you consider offering hosting services to your customers, so that they can run the software off of your computers?
No, you went for the laziest route possible, and called that the only way to "make money off of "ethical" software
>>
>>52653201
Don't you ever want some portion of the profits for yourself?
>>
>>52655657
Why? He just made the tools he's using. Does he get some special award for that? Does he have to then give some portion of the profits to the people who made all the software he used to make that software? Does he have to pay the teachers he learned from a portion of that? Do they then have to pay the people before then? How far back should we go with this train of thought?
>>
>>52655708
I dunno, just thought it would be nice, that's all
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.