[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/. I have a side-firing subwoofer (pic related, nearly the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: subwoofer.jpg (19KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
subwoofer.jpg
19KB, 390x390px
Hi /g/. I have a side-firing subwoofer (pic related, nearly the exact same, same design) and I was wondering if it's completely safe to tip it in order to have it down-firing. It would be about 10cm to the floor (it has a grille over it anyways).
Anyone can help me here?
>>
>>52645997
On the subwoofer side of things, yes.

However, make sure it's just a passive (speaker wire only) to the sub, if it's an active sub (has it's own power cable and takes line-level audio because it's self amplified) then you need to ensure you're compromising the ability of the built in amp to keep itself cool.
>>
>>52646048
Let me try this again...
>However, make sure it's passive (speaker wire only) to the sub, if it's an active sub (has it's own power cable and takes line-level audio because it's self amplified) then you need to ensure you're not compromising the ability of the built in amp to keep itself cool.
>>
>>52646048
My setup is nearly the same as that one-just bigger speakers.
Yeah it's only passive, just the cables.
Was thinking of moving it as it's aiming at the wall and I've had a noise complaint, and I know the people downstairs don't give a shit.
So I was wondering if it's safe, knowing that down-fired are made to work with gravity, while side-fired have to work against it, so if it would be safe for the magnet/speaker/cone
>>
>>52646091
It'll be fine, loudspeaker drivers don't come in 'side firing' or 'down firing' models, that's just how they've been mounted.

If it doesn't have it's own amp (just a single speaker wire with positive and negative) you're 100% good to go.
>>
>>52646110
Thanks m8 :^)
I hope it actually helps and doesn't make the walls shake even more though...
>>
all-in-one 5.1 systems often cheat and let the "sub" play up into mid-range, so that the satellites can stay small and cheap to manufacture.

bass frequencies won't care what position the sub is in, but mids can do weird things if the driver is facing the floor.

unplug the satellites and play some test tones through the sub and see how high the frequencies get before things start sounding quiet. if you're hearing 300-500Hz loudly, then place the sub vertically and point the driver at the listening position.

if things go quiet soon after 100Hz (or before) then feel free to position it how you want.
>>
>>52646091
oh, if you're having noise complaints then pointing it downward won't do shit.

bass isn't directional; the wavelengths are so big that the sub enclosure is far too tiny to block any sound, so the sub is just as loud from the back as it is the front. imagine a sphere expanding from the sub---there is no "front" of a sphere.

a much better idea is to turn it into a nearfield sub. instead of against the wall across the room, place it as near to your ears/body as possible. the nearer it gets, the lower it can play while still sounding loud to you. bonus effects are increased chest-thumping and reduction of room modes (aka will sound less boomy).
>>
>>52646495
Thanks, will do when I cbf
>>52646642
It's what I thought as well-and I was thinking of still placing it under the table in front of me instead of where it currently is (Front/side) as it would still be closer.
Thanks for the help as well mang
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.