[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you view a fingerprint scanner as a positive or a negative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 9

File: galaxy-s5-fingerprint-reader.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
galaxy-s5-fingerprint-reader.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Do you view a fingerprint scanner as a positive or a negative when buying a phone?

Will they become the next standard feature?
>>
>>52643909
I bought a nexus 5x with a fingerprint scanner on the back
Very nice, I wouldn't even bother buying a phone without one
That instant unlock when you pick your phone up is so good
I wouldn't buy an iPhone with one since it would record your prints
>>
One of the best features to come out in the last few years, I prefer having my phone locked with a fingerprint than using a patron or letters with numbers.
>>
>>52643964
Because mother Google doesn't save your prints on their servers for later use
>>
Personally I don't see the point in having one, since I don't really need to lock the screen behind a security wall. My phone is always in my pocket or next to me, realistically there's no chance that it would get stolen or used by anyone else but me.

So it seems to me it's a feature that was implemented in phones to provide manufacturers with a new selling point and marketing pitch. I've never been in the situation in which locking my phone was absolutely necessary. I just don't leave it alone in a room and don't forget things behind me.
>>
I use trusted devices feature to unlock phone
My watch being on unlocks phone basically
>>
>>52643909
>Do you view a fingerprint scanner as a positive or a negative when buying a phone?
As an useless gimmick that i'm not going to use at all, like the IR blaster.
>>
Fingerprints can't be changed if someone finds it out, like passcodes can. They're permanent. They're also all over your phone and anything else you touch, if anyone bothers to lift them.
>>
Never lock my phone, so it's not a feature I care about.
>>
>>52644271
i have to have a lock screen on my phone - my last internship (MSR) said in plain terms that my passcode had to be 6 digits or better (no more 4 digit shit) and my research advisor at university has gotten me access to datasets that we have to keep secure. that includes locking our phones in the event that identity needs to be proven (using 2FA).

but even if none of that was the case, i leave my phone on my desk when i'm at my computer and it's often charging (not because it's always dead, but just to top off), and if a friend (best case) picks it up i don't want them to immediately be able to dig through it for whatever shenanigans they have in mind.
>>
>useless feature
>picking up the phone still requires you to touch the fingerprint sensor so it's a two step process
>no security whatsoever in actuality
>watch most any TV show or movie these days and see how easy it is to defeat the biometric shit

If someone wants in a device, they won't have any issues beating the shit out of you till you're unconscious then just grabbing a finger to unlock the device, even if they have to cut the fucking finger off. If it was a retinal sensor, same result: if they want in, they're going to get in.

All other security methods are superior to anything biometric.
>>
>>52643909
Your fingerprint to unlock your device is literally all over your device.
>>
>>52644314
pebble watch? what is your secret?
>>
File: threat_models.png (120KB, 1648x422px) Image search: [Google]
threat_models.png
120KB, 1648x422px
I think it's great because I'm not a crazy weirdo who cares whether my phone can stand up to NSA-level hacking.
1. It keeps your friends from grabbing your phone to read your shit,
2. makes unlocking your phone easier than even the no-security slider,
3. lets you still keep your lock screen for when you just want to check out notifications just by not touching the sensor
>>
My last phone was an iPhone 6 and my new one is a Nexus 6P. I didn't really care about the fingerprint scanner before I bought them but now it really does shag me off if I have to put in the password. The Nexus scanner is unbelievable, so accurate and easy, you just touch any part of your index finger to it and you're in. Better than the iPhone scanner. Both are good though.
>>
It's certainly a nice feature, especially placed in the way it's used in the 6P and 5X, but it's also not that big of a deal to me personally. I wouldn't shell out extra cash for a phone with that feature or go out of the way to find one.
>>
>>52644494
You might want to adjust the frequency your tin foil helmet is rejecting, I think some of the beta/gamma/delta rays are getting to you.
>>
I hated the idea when I first got my S5 but I spend so much time on the road using YouTube and Pandora for music thay I recently started using it because it's easier than trying to type in a code in traffic and I really like the convenience of it
>>
>>52644380
I just charge the phone when I'm at home and then make sure the battery lasts me throughout the day. Since I don't game on it I've no problem getting it to last a whole day.

Even if I'd need to charge it I wouldn't leave it alone. The purpose of having a mobile phone is to be reachable immediately. If it's not next to you all the time, then what's the point of having one.
>>
>because much special snowflake fingerprint meme
>because fingertips cannot be damaged through burns

It's a meme, two identical phones except for a print reader, I'd pick the one without
>>
>>52644494
>watch most any TV show or movie these days and see how easy it is to defeat the biometric shit

While it's true, TV shows and movies are hardly accurate when it comes to anything security, come on
>>
>>52644363
this. Why bother when your phone is on you or near you 99% of the time?
>>
>>52644380
Also this. Let's put a fingerprint scanner on a HANDHELD device.
>>
I just got a 6S Plus and I feel like a fingerprint scanner is one of those features you didn't know you wanted until you get a phone which has one.
>>
>>52644637
With each new generation of smartphones, companies are trying to bring new features to make their phone have a competitive edge, whether or not those features are really necessary.
Those features use extra power, which hampers real progress in batter life. All these sensors need to monitor the phone all the time, checking for relevant cues.
>>
>>52644694
this. i laughed it off as a gimmick till i got my ip6. never needing to enter passcode (after bootup) is great. also, plenty of apps that use fingerprint scanner for keychain access like cibc visa, amex, dropbox, etc)
>>
>>52644734
>>52644734
>Those features use extra power, which hampers real progress in batter life

that's fucking retarded. why not denounce faster processors and higher res screens while you're at it? REAL PROGRESS in battery life is higher capacity batteries
>>
>>52644227
I don't have google apps installed mate
>>
>>52643909
>Spending enough money on a phone for it to actually include this gimmicky piece of shit.

Fucking consumerist whores...
>>
>>52644271

>have two factor authorization for a phone

so what is your 2nd factor? a pc somewhere? laptop?

idk about you guys but i treat my phone like my wallet, and i damn sure don't leave my wallet around outside of my pocket. i have a 6000 mAh battery so i don't have to charge that shit either.
>>
Biometrics are rapidly becoming outpaced by new tech and they're barely established as an authentication method. Eye scanners have already been proven pointless by today's image quality.

It's another sci-fi dream that just isn't as effective as the latest versions of the boring stuff we already use. I mean, it's really cool and pretty convenient, definitely. But as far as security goes, if someone is trying to crack your phone, you're better off with a passcode.
>>
>>52644798
lmao the entire phone is a google app, bud.
>>
>>52644823
>6000 mAh battery

Can't wait to see what's left of you if that thing goes up.
Who makes it?
>>
>>52644840
>lmao he fell for the Google botnet meme
>>
>>52644494
Despite the shilling, anon is actually right.
Ever looked up the gumi bear method of defeating fingerprint scanners? Not to mention some devices let you use an xhd photo to unlock the device.
>>
>>52644840
no it's not?
i installed a custom rom immediately and rid my phone of google framework
i'm doing fine
>>
>>52644883
non-free hardware
>>
>>52644861

i'm quite sure i'll feel it if it gets warm, since it stays in my pocket all day.

hyperion makes them for the LG G3, along with the faux carbon fiber back case.

>mfw they make a note 4 battery with 9800 mAh

must be nice, samfags.
>>
>>52644915
Sure, you'll feel it go warm, quickly followed by burning death.
>>
>>52644271
like this guy >>52644823 said smartphones nowadays are paramount to wallets (access bank info, nfc payment, sensitive e-mails, etc). sure you don't expect your house to burn down in the middle of the night, because you make every reasonable precaution to prevent that from happening, but it's sure as fuck good to have a fire alarm just in fucking case. same deal with your smartphone, having a passcode & biometrics security is important for the situations you can't account for. you pass out somewhere due to a sudden illness, or you get pick pocketed, or you get drunk and leave your shit on the bar counter, etc etc.
>>
>>52643909
neutral?
I don't use it so I don't really care if its there
>>
>>52644880
>Ever looked up the gumi bear method of defeating fingerprint scanners
That was discovered over a decade ago, does this still work?
>>
>>52643909
it already is a standard feature, since the 5s.

unless.... you're using a poordroid?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-26-22-39-15.png (180KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-26-22-39-15.png
180KB, 1440x2560px
>>52644536
Moto 360, pretty sure the feature is built into Android.
It also unlocks if I'm at home
>>
>>52644933
>smartphones nowadays are paramount to wallets (access bank info, nfc payment, sensitive e-mails, etc).

If you're a brainless fucktard who allows it to be.
>>
>>52644915
8500 here from zerolemon on my g4
Feels good man
>>
>>52644924

you must be one of those housefire memefags.

i run a 290x if you're wondering. no housefires, no spontaneous human combustions.

go outside once in a while, you might get hit by a car since it doesn't sound like you drive one.
>>
>>52644994

my man! extended battery master race!
>>
I thought it was the dumbest and biggest gimmick, until I got an iPhone for work, now I love it, every time I go to grab my personal phone, I find it such a hassle to put my code in every time
>>
>>52644610
>and then make sure the battery lasts me throughout the day
like with magic? are you saying you'll ignore it if you get a notification if you know you're not rationing use sufficiently? this makes no sense.
>>
>>52644271
You must not get out much

There's so many factors you can't control
>>
>>52643909
Fingerprint scanner is just an other thing that can break. Like the back glass panel.

Just think of the iPhone. Thing got a fingerprint scanner in the home button that inevitably fails. Home button replaced with regular plastic "dumb" home button. OS update scans for unofficial hardware, recognizes missing home button and bricks the phone.
>>
>>52644968
>One phone series got a scanner in 3 models
>LOL IT'S STANDARD
>>
>>52645188
yeah that was my point. if you're a fucking basement dweller who does nothing of value on your phone then sure why bother with a passcode. on the other hand people who actually enjoy using technology for things of any import can do so with some piece of mind knowing there are reasonable safeguards in place to protect their interests
>>
>>52643909
I don't feel comfortable with Google or my phone's manufacturer having my fingerprints on file, so I will not purchase a phone with a fingerprint scanner.
>>
>>52644536
you can also have any Bluetooth device on you (maybe an item tracker) and put it in smart lock
>>
>>52644868
>>52644868
>Lol Apple is recording your print XD
>So is google
>LOLBOTNET MEMEXD
>>
I like my 6s+'s fingerprint sensor, but I would like to see a button on the lockscreen that forces a passcode for the next unlock.
>>
>>52644976
>>52645891

sadly it is not to be found on my note edge can you be specific about where this is? its a rogers (canada) 5.1.1 lolipop
>>
>>52644622
You have to set a backup password/code too so you can unlock with that if you can't with the fingerprint.

Frankly though I don't care. It really isn't added security, lifted fingerprints can be used, with highed resolution cameras some people basically upload their fingerprint to their social media as well.
>>
>>52646007
I think it's part of the Google services, maybe you can try checking the Google Settings app on your phone, or maybe the Security/Lock/whatever menu in your phone settings?
>>
>>52643909
No one's going to point out the biggest flaw? Ok I'll bite.

If you are free (U.S. citizen), you can't be coerced to reveal a password or pin if it might be used to incriminate you (See the 5th amendment)

This is NOT the case with fingerprints, retinas, or any other biometric property that might be used to secure your sensitive data.

You'll quickly see what I'm talking about if you ever plan on traveling internationally.. But then again, why would you if you're already in the greatest nation on Earth?
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 544x409px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 544x409px
>>52643909
I keep accidentally unlocking my phone when I just want to check the time. My finger is too slow to stop it. Then I have to lock it again. I feel like an old man with these newfangled scanners.
>>
Yeah, positive, love it on my note 5, but fuck I don't want my finger cut off when I get mugged
>>
>>52645265
Why do you need finger prints for this?
Any lock screen is sufficient, I use one of those 3x3 connect the dots, it takes me like 3 seconds. Some times stops me from opening it when I mega drunk.
If anything this new security feature, is just a bloated way to find and store finger prints.
>>
>>52645113
I respond to every notification. In total the phone is active for about 1 h / day. In the evening I usually have 60-70% charge left.

Why would you even buy a phone, that doesn't last a single day?
>>
>>52644125
Thieves are just going to cut off your finger, that has happened many times.

> But it won't work if the finger is cut off, it needs the bloodflow.

They will still cut your finger off. And the police won't do anything about a stolen phone (there are easier ways to shoot people) so the thief will get away with it. A fingerprint also has less security than a password, because in the case of fingerprints they "know" what the password is. And you have your fingerprint all over the device, they just need to copy it.
>>
As long as my biometrics arent being stored in some db, but are stored local.

The first biometric db breach is gonna be interesting.
>>
>>52645915
you can use android without using any google apps. CM is the stock-rom for several devices.
>>
>>52646092
to save fucking time. holy shit how autistic are you?
>>
>>52644335
I would actually argue that the IR blaster is useful to some. For me personally, personally, I keep my old LG Volt around because the remote to my TV broke. I don't use the phone for anything else, but it saves me from having to spend a few extra bucks on a new universal remote.
>>
>>52646135
yeah exactly, thieves are more likely to commit attempted murder/aggravated assault rather than threaten you with a gun to divulge your password or bank pin and get away scott free /s
also you are totally on point about fingerprints on phones. it's not like phone manufacturers coat their phones in olephobic material. not to mention the thousands of fingerprint lifting and fingerprint scanner bypass how-to videos on youtube. talk about useless right!
>>
>>52646092
Only touchID uses it, and even then its encrypted and hashed into some crazy irreversible digest
>>
>>52646175
he's an android user, so
>>
>>52644271
This. I've never used lockscreens and shit, I just don't lose my stuff.
I'm indifferent to the feature as a whole.
>>
It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

We went through the same fad back in the early 2000s when laptop manufacturers were throwing in fingerprint scanners so you could unlock your laptop faster.
>>
File: glooves.jpg (95KB, 1400x1468px) Image search: [Google]
glooves.jpg
95KB, 1400x1468px
>ctrl+gloves
Nobody? I work in a cancer lab and while nitrile gloves are not *required*, most of my colleagues wear them because exposure to things like xylene and certain dyes (looking at you, carbolfucshin) is a serious health hazard that should be avoided at all costs.

I have also gone from strictly using Swype to only using Fleksy because the gloves make it damn near impossible to swipe full strings of works across the entirety of the screen.
>>
>>52646255
You can guess a passcode, you cant guess a fingerprint, so its somewhat of a solution to rising security paranoia.

BUT if it is "stolen" you are paranoid for life, since you cant change your fingerprint.
>>
>>52646294

Exactly. Fingerprints aren't passwords. They're usernames. Using fingerprints to bypass security is like letting everyone who knows your email address access your account.
>>
>>52646276
>using your personal cellphone at work

you could also take your gloves off you fucking retard
>>
>>52646255
>laptop fingerprint scanner
I completely forgot my Lenovo X1 Carbon even has one. I tried to set it up when I first got it but I said fuck it as it was taking forever to get a solid scan on my index finger.

Besides, I use this as a school/personal computer. The only things I'd worry about if it was stolen are the gfur folders I have, the n00dz of my girlfriend, and the passwords I have saved.
>>
>>52643909
Positive on iOS hardware, as Apple actively cares about their users privacy, since that's a selling point for the iDevices.

Negative on Android hardware where I know it won't be protected in the slightest and if the phone itself isn't just phoning home and sending my fingerprint data with it, some malware will gleefully extract and send on that data.

Absolutely HARAM on Windows Phone where it's 100% guaranteed that your fingerprint will be sent to NSA.
>>
>>52646322
>>using your personal cellphone at work
Implying... what exactly?

>you could also take your gloves off you fucking retard
I can tell you've never taken off a glove after having it on for 2 hours and then trying to put it back on when your hand AND the inside of the glove is clammy from sweat.
Not to mention, replacing a glove every single time I need to unlock my phone is just idiotic.
>>
Fuck fingerprint scanners. I'm paranoid about getting a phone with one since a few people I know have had their phones unlocked by room mates/siblings/nieces/nephews while they're sleeping.
>>
>>52646396
>implying Apple won't quietly give the NSA what they want the instant they get a letter demanding it

However, if the NSA wanted your fingerprint so badly, they wouldn't even need to mess with your phone. Just drop by on trash day and grab some junk. Your prints will be all over it. Or do you wipe down every last bit of trash before throwing it out?
>>
>>52646396
windows phones only use iris scanners
>>
Can you set up the iPhone fingerprint scanner to require both a fingerprint and a passcode?
>>
>>52647671
This sounds like a right pain in the ass for such a frequent task as getting into your phone.
>>
Remember, the police can't make you spit out the passcode since it's protected under 5th amendment
Bio-metric data isn't
Enjoy ur jail time
>>
>>52647500
> replying to obvious bait
>>
>>52644894
You mean non-free drivers, but there's Replicant which is fully free
>>
>>52644966
Mostly yes
>>
I only use it for virtual home jailbreak tweak, it allows you to go to home by touching the home button and app switcher by double touching instead of pressing
>>
>>52643909
Like it but its bullshit fingerprints aren't covered under the 5th
>>
File: wp_ss_20160127_0001.png (214KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160127_0001.png
214KB, 1440x2560px
>>52643909
I prefer Windows Hello it's much mire secure than a finger print reader
>>
>>52643964
Look at this paranoid goy guys lmfaoo.
>my prints are recorded because I don't have gapps installed
Fucking kek you gook
>>
I always keep my phone in my pocket or in my hand whenever I am outside. I have no need for any security measures on it.
>>
It's good when it works, but if fingers are slightly wet it doesn't work so well. Also it's slow as fuck on my iPhone 6
>>
It's great, the one on the Note 4 is awkward to use though. It's impossible to do one handed, the phone is just too massive
>>
File: wp_ss_20160127_0002.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160127_0002.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>52649880
>I prefer Windows Hello it's much mire secure than a finger print reader
>Couldn't recognize you. Swipe up to enter PIN.
>Swipe up.
>Unlocks phone, doesn't ask for PIN at all.
I don't think so bruh.
At least not until they fix it.
>>
>>52643909
It's great to just touch the back of your phone to unlock and turn on the display. Even my 200€ chinkphone has one.
>>
>>52643909
So assuming the archiving of finger prints from smart phones is a reality, could a finger print be spoofed?

Has anyone tested various models for this potential vulnerability?
>>
>>52651946
>could a finger print be spoofed?
Easily. Security wise, fingerprint scanners are completely pointless.
They're neat in terms of unlocking your phone faster, but if security is what you're looking for, never ever use a fingerprint scanner for anything.
>>
>>52643909

1. Never lock your phone. Why? Cuz you never put anything on it that you need to protect.
2. Don't buy or tape over fingerprint reader on purchase. *Never* give your biometrics willingly!
3. WTF is wrong with this world? Did IQs drop sharply in the past 10 years?
>>
>>52646294
>>52646396
>>52647720
>>52647767
>>52651919
>>52643909
>>52644125
>>52644360
>>52644380
>>52644494
>>52644552
>>52644570
>>52644595
>>52644597
>>52644603
>>52644622
>not leaving fingerprints all over your device
Are you some kind of security-fascist?
>>
>>52651915
downloaded the last two software updates and the last firmware update? It really improved it
>>
>>52652084
Unless there's some hidden update I'm missing, yeah, there are no updates to be found either in settings -> update or on the Windows store.

The iris scanning part works fine. It's quick to recognize me and unlock the phone. But when I provoke a failure to recognize me or let someone else fail to get recognized, it doesn't ask for my PIN like it should upon swiping up. Just unlocks the phone with no PIN, rendering Windows Hello entirely pointless.
>>
>>52652189
sometimes you need to trigger them using Windows Insider app, use fast ring check for updates, install if found, choose "production" afterwards and check again to trigger firmware updates
>>
>>52652390
Was already on fast ring, went to production.
>Check for updates
>MICROSOFTMDG update for Windows Phone.
Guessing that's the firmware update that you apparently don't get if you're set to receive insider previews.
>>
>>52652581
That's true, as insider you won't receive firmware updates
>>
>>52643909

I try to avoid them.
>>
File: wp_ss_20160127_0004.png (142KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160127_0004.png
142KB, 1440x2560px
>>52653751
Well that's bloody stupid. Any reason for this ?
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.