[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here /desperate/ for a job?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5

File: 1453848228508.gif (57KB, 619x400px) Image search: [Google]
1453848228508.gif
57KB, 619x400px
Who here /desperate/ for a job?
>>
Nope, still going to university and working on campus.
I will be in 2 years though when I'm out.
>>
File: 1420781356532.gif (958KB, 631x339px) Image search: [Google]
1420781356532.gif
958KB, 631x339px
>>52640284
I'm looking currently. Have an interview Thursday, and then next Tuesday with some staffing place. I just quit my job last Wednesday. Felt gud
>>
>>52640284
ME!

Why is recaptcha failing so fucking much!?!???!
>>
In trade school atm. Wanna transfer to uni but calculus is hard. Either way it's really expensive and most IT jobs don't require a bachelors. Looking into computer and cellphone repair atm. Hoping for no drug tests
>>
>>52640284
I will press the "Home" button
>>
About to graduate from one of the best universities in the world with a 2.3 in chemical engineering.
I have no work experience, and I'm panicking.
>>
>>52640591
>one of the best universities in the world
No need to lie about community college.
>>
>>52640591
Better hit up your school's coop office and or job fair
>>
>>52640629
No need to brag about mommy and daddy hand outs
>>
Keep over saturating the easy jobs senpai. I do wireless networking on a much grander scale. Climb towers, install residential, travel from Houston - Lubbock - Dallas - Austin. Started at 15$ and I'm at 20$ an hour 1 year later. Company take home truck. Everybody wants an office job sitting in front if a computer. Stop being a bitch and get some balls.
>>
>>52640591
what the fuck? what school still lets you stay in engineering with a 2.3?
>>
>>52640284
I'm not homeless and starving yet as my parents have yet to kick me out, but I'm not exactly desperate, I just stick to the same routine of applying for any jobs I'm somewhat qualified for, should be somewhere around application #768, I recently got an e-mail from home depot, and remember why I never get my hopes up, as they were responding to me about a job at a location 2-3 hours away by bus, and I could never get there reliably everyday.
>>
>>52640697
You need to lower your standards. Your worthless, you have no people skills, and you don't know what hard work is.
>>
>>52640675
>>52640629
University of Toronto, it's like top 20 worldwide.
Really cheap cause I live with my parents and I get 80% of my tuition in grants.

You need a C- minimum not to fail, I was barely there my first two years, now the last two years I'm at a B+ but the damage to my GPA has been done.

>>52640643
Yeah, there's a job fair coming up on Friday
>>
If I have a CIS degree, experience in networking, and an internship at my uni, should I be able to find a job in networking after graduation?
>>
>>52640747
I've weed whacked a mountain for 10 bucks before and spend most summers working a face paced job at my dad's workplace, it's just they only have work for me in the summers when everything picks up

I apply to everywhere and anywhere I can preferring closer spots when possibly, usually 1 hour by bus is about the limit for me, as no employer is going to bother hiring me anyways if I have to spend 2+ hours using public transportation to get to work
>>
>>52640747

Nice one senpai, you've really outdone yourself with that post.

>>52640697

Have more confidence in yourself, even if it feels pointless atm. If you're really negative it'll impact your choices, encouraging behavior that prevents you from finding work.

Also remember to apply to actual job adds instead of handing out resumes at random, unless you're giving them to places with a v. high turnover.

Good luck anon, I was in a similar situation some time ago and can say it gets better.
>>
>>52640672
I actually want to be a tower climber
How do I get into it?
>>
>>52640916
I'm not negative, I'm just realistic. I do need to acquire better acting skills so I don't directly come off as a Sociopathic autistic NEET, I usually just sit quietly and answer questions during interviews and attempt to dress decently
>>
>>52640557
>hoping for no drug test
IKTF, im working on campus and they don't give a shit, after I graduate though I'll more than likely have to stop for a month or so
>>52640672
How'd you get on doing that?
Field work regardless of what field is always much more fun.
>>
>>52640778
That was last Friday, you fucking nob.
>>
>>52640284
You made the same thread on /pol/.
>>
>>52640672
>Started at 15$ and I'm at 20$ an hour 1 year later.
That's not bad money, but I feel you are a bit underpaid for your market and line of work. It never hurts to shop around a little bit considering you have a year under your belt already.

(I'm the lead engineer on wireless for my firm, including outdoor stuff like that.)
>>
>>52641592
Startup expo this Friday
>>
CS major here with one more year. On top of internships and good grades, what should I be doing in order to make myself look better in the job market?
>>
>>52641785
Most of those jobs will be in software.
>>
>>52641812
Side projects and github. A linkedin if you're a complete tool.
>>
>>52640284
I'm not. But I'm going to give my resignation this saturday.
>>
>>52640672
>look at me, I'm a tech getting a tech salary oblivious that people in office jobs get paid over $10 more than I do 1 year later on average
Keep deluding yourself m8.

>>52640839
>a CIS degree
There's a degree for THAT!??
>>
>>52640284
Not me, I actually get unsolicited offers at a fairly decent pace. Thinking of moving to a different company though.

>sysadmin
>>
>>52640321
Try to get a job while you are in school, if you wait until you graduate you will fucking hate yourself.
>>
>>52641851
I've made a website for myself with links to about 3 side projects I've made. One is an IM and ones an Android game
>>
>>52641962
I wish I could tell my pastself this.
Even just a mcdonalds job would have been a great help.
>>
>>52642005
my country's uni has compulsory industrial training (internship) for 3 to 6 months, for STEM students.

Does that count as work?
>>
>>52640672

$15 and $20 an hour really aren't very impressive. Your average office worker is making $25-$30 an hour
>>
>>52640672
I work in an office and make 80k

I do literally 5 hours of work a week.
>>
>>52641613
wasnt me
i just took the pic
>>
not exactly desperate but if it would allow me to move out of my parents' house i'd be extremely happy, especially if it was to a big city
even better if i don't lose interest and give up after two weeks
>>
>>52642042
It really depends on where you live.

Southeast Asians engineers are paid under $1k monthly -- [spoiler]that's why tech MNCs love to build their branches there to cut costs, for roughly the same competent workforce.[/spoiler]
>>
>>52642062
what's your job, fampai?
>>
>>52642115
sysadmin
>>
>>52642035
Yes.
Mine had a job fair that included internships but to be considered you had to have spent 2 years at the uni and not be on your last year of university. Which made it impossible because I entered through an associates degree and switched to a bachelor's mid-way and missed the jobfair at the only year I could apply for the internship, which is stupid as fuck!
>>
>>52642062
Same, usually around 1PM to 3PM
>>
>>52641924
Yeah duh, Computer Information Systems

It's a fairly common degree.
>>
>>52640672
No degree. 24-36/hr (depends on weekend work) and live .5mi away. 70k last year.
>>
>>52642126
why does it seem like every sys admin describes their work as being extremely chill?

is this standard for the job or something?
>>
>>52640672
Do you get any hazard pay?
>>
>>52642244
Yeah it's chill as fuck.

No one knows what you are supposed to do other than keep things working.

I manage a datacenter, using nagios to monitor everything, I get an email from nagios any time a system is offline/beyond a threshold I set and I will have it fixed before any of the engineers or users even notice.

I make sure to create a ticket for everything I fix before someone notices to actually show that I am actually doing something. When I first started my department was very reactive but I am proactive.
>>
>>52642244
If their job isn't chill they may be bad at it and probably wouldn't be excited to describe it at all.
>>
>>52642244
Sys admins are the healers of the working world. There is no way to go above and beyond at your job keeping the system running. Nobody realizes you're doing a poor job unless you catastrophically fail.
>>
>>52640284
me
>>
>>52640284
finally not me for the first time in my life.
>>
>>52642342
yeah shitty sysadmins end up back in desktop support, if you are any good, your job is chill

>>52642383
Yeah it's hard, no one even knows I exist unless shit hits the fan, I have to sing my own praises quite often in order to show that my position should still exist.
>>
>>52640284
Me
>>
>>52642244
Don't listen to them. Some days or even weeks there isnt a lot of work, but when you actually have to work you get raped. Those guys are probably talking about the sysadmins who basically just oversee shit that has already been implemented. Unfortunately the term sysadmin gets thrown around for a plethora of different jobs and job duties, so don't think just because you get a sysadmin job automatically things are chill.
>>
>>52642492
Of course anon, when I first started I spent a few months working 60+ hours a week (of real work) getting all this shit set up (backups, disaster recovery, monitoring).

If I feel like it I can take on a new project, but right now I don't feel like doing anything because it's the winter and during the winter I have low energy. And as such, I put about 5 hours a week while nothing is breaking.

Sometime in April I will probably implement puppet to provision vms faster.

Any good sysadmin knows you put all the effort up front to avoid doing work later.
>>
Gundam it
I can't find the screencaps of the sysadmin story about that dude that installed google ultron.
If someone has it please post it.
>>
>>52642556
True. You should look into getting one of those daylight simulator lamps. Might help with your winter energy levels.
>>
>>52642594
Pretty sure it's the first link if you search "Google Ultron"
>>
>>52640284
give up and be in peace with it.
>>
Haven't applied for jobs in years.

>tfw unemployable
>>
>>52643480
how do you survive? Moms basement?

>inb4 welfare
>>
>>52643540
I get disability welfare (depression/anxiety) and live with my mother. Most of the money just stays in my bank account.
>>
>>52643575
I have mild to moderate depression and have developed anxiety as well (runs in the family and have had a bunch of crazy life events recently to trigger it) and I still work.
>>
>>52643575
Give some to your mom, you leech!
>>
>>52643575
What country pays you to stay at home for some made up disease (depression)?
>>
>>52643575
people living off their friends and family plus their $200 monthly government check are the most pathetic of subhumans
>>
>>52643596
Good for you but mine isn't manageable. I cannot into socializing. I think it's fair I don't work because I'll never have a gf.
>>
>>52643610
what country would force someone who can't lift heavy objects to stack boxes?
>>
File: betamax.jpg (33KB, 152x175px) Image search: [Google]
betamax.jpg
33KB, 152x175px
>>52643660
Being socially retarded doesn't mean you can't into socializing.
Just that you aren't comfortable with it because of stupid hobbies or stupid shit like being awful and not bathing and other stupid stuff.
Get a job and actually worry about what people might think of you while not letting their present impression of you bother you that much as you change it into that of a normal human bean.
>>
>>52643660
Didnt mean to sound like I'm bragging, I just don't agree with my tax money paying for stuff like that.

You dont need to be able to socialize to make money. You can literally find ways to make money working from home. Just think, you can be your own boss, and any communications you have can all be through email, which would be no different than you posting in here now.
>>
Is it possible to get a remote job as a software dev without previous professional experience? I just have some side projects thrown up on Github.
>>
File: depression.jpg (656KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
depression.jpg
656KB, 1200x1600px
>>52643604
She doesn't want any and she isn't poor anyway.

>>52643610
UK

>>52643626
It's considerably more than that here. I'll get more welfare when I get a proper assessment.
>>
>>52643794
Probably. Never know until you try. Best thing to do would be to keep at it.
>>
>>52643717
I can never keep up showering and everything gets left until the last minute. I have no energy anymore.

>>52643729
And what jobs? I am not autistic enough for web development and coding. My brain just can't stay focused on stuff like that.
>>
>>52643868
Look up learned helpless, that's literally uou.
>>
>>52643868
Get one of those daylight lamps with your next welfare check. Then go get an adderall prescription. Then start doing work from home.
Don't be lazy and quit wasting your life away.
#yolo #yoloswag
>>
>>52643868
Not the guy you're replying to, but I work blue collar despite my degree and shower once a week at the very most haha

Stay strong man, some of us believe NEETdom to be truly honorable
>>
>>52643808
Sup fellow Britfag.

I'm in a similar situation but on the physical side, got diagnosed with cystic fibrosis about eight years ago.

Are you already on the new PIP system? I'm in the process of being moved over from ESA/DLA and it's a fucking nightmare.
>>
>Graduated with a degree in CS 3 years ago.
>Family situation prevented me from getting a job right away.
>Situation is now resolved, but I lost my momentum.
>Been NEET for 3 years.
I'd really like to get a job, but I don't even know where to start now.
My portfolio is pretty abysmal as well.
>>
>>52643895
Learned helplessness is called learned helplessness because it was learned in a period where you were actually helpless.
But that situation of helplessness has not changed, as opposed to the experiments with dogs where they did change the conditions.
>>
Tryna get some advice. I have two offers and I'm having trouble deciding which, would love to hear the thoughts of others. Some context, I'm finishing up my third year of a CS major and the offers are for summer internships. After the internship I'd go back to school for fall and then graduate in the spring.

Offer A is from a small-to-medium-sized company in NYC. More established than a startup, but still has the startup feel. Similar to Dropbox. The workers seem fairly autonomous (everyone works on their own terms, at their own pace), which seems awesome. The company is considered one of the best places to work in NYC. The pay rate is $40/hr with a $1500 monthly housing allowance. These numbers seem very high. However, I realize the cost of living in NYC is much higher than the average city, and I don't really know how much to consider this factor. The turnover rate is very high, and I'd likely have to make a very good impression to get a return offer.

Offer B is from a large, established tech company, which isn't one of the "big 4". Think like Cisco. I have little to no idea of what to expect. Any reviews I can find are generally positive. The cost of living for this location is cheap, but the pay rate is closer to $23/hr, and there is a $6000 signing bonus. When I interviewed with these guys they seemed very enthusiastic about getting me on board and it seemed like I'd be able to transition to a full time role after I finish my last year of school.

As bad as it sounds, one of the big appeals to B for me is that the company probably won't hold you as accountable because of how big it is. I'll be more free to slack off when I want and work hard when I want, in contrast to company A, at which I'd feel pretty obligated to always work hard due to the small startup feel.
>>
>>52640591
Good luck finding a job man. Most process eng roles in Canada are o&g based and your dollar is fucked with its tie to oil price currently. I'm fucked too as I'm in o&g in the UK and it's dying fast...

TLDR; don't choose oil and gas.
>>
Just found out I got a job this morning :DDDD
Applied for 1 job, had 1 interview, and got it. I'll have been out of work for about 4 months. I was picky because I wanted to get a job in my specific field of interest, but I had a good time not working. I don't know about everyone else, but taking a pay cut to work a job that I am interested in is well worth it. Let's just hope it's as interesting as I'm hoping. Good luck jobless /g/.
>>
>>52647008
Look for junior positions and smaller companies that just want someone half-decent. I've been out of the loop for 4 years and I recently found something that isn't half bad.
If you don't have a portfolio (or it isn't filled with anything significant looking), talk about your experiences instead. Go into details a bit, make it sound positive and important.
>>
>>52647605
Personally I'd be inclined to do the NYC one just to live in NYC, get some extra cash (cost of living isn't that different when you get a huge housing allowance), have something that maybe looks better on the resume, and make some good connections. If they have housing set up, that'd be great, but you could maybe also room with some of the other interns. Get the housing scoped out before you accept an offer.

If you don't want to work there or don't get an offer, it still looks good on the resume and sounds like you might be able to get hired at the other company anyway. Offer B sounds more comfy if the work environment is less stressful/competitive, and it's a huge positive to be wanted by a company, but these aren't as important if it's only for the summer. Idk what type of person you are, but I would probably want to have a career with B while seriously considering an internship with A. The worst that can happen is that you learn you dislike the company/city/job where you intern.
>>
>>52647008
Where do you live? You can get $60k/yr in a decent midwest city as long as you can sufficiently explain your 3 year vacation.
>>
>>52643808
I quit my last job due to depression and fell into deeper depression. Make sure you get full treatment and exercise plenty. Good luck.
>>
>>52640839
>CIS SCUM BITCH
>>
>>52647815
Thanks for the words. A lot of what you said makes sense. I like the idea of A being a good place to intern, while B is a good place to work full time.

I am concerned that, if I decline this offer at B, I'll have trouble getting a full time offer there. I have this notion that they'll harbor ill will towards me because I declined them-- is this a rational fear?
>>
>>52648018
Can't help you there. Might happen if the folks recruiting you now would be the same people to hire or work with you. Maybe ask a career counselor at your school.
>>
File: rogered.jpg (25KB, 488x488px) Image search: [Google]
rogered.jpg
25KB, 488x488px
>>52647855
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.