[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are optical drives completely fucking pointless in 2016, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

File: optical_1.jpg (36KB, 450x339px) Image search: [Google]
optical_1.jpg
36KB, 450x339px
Are optical drives completely fucking pointless in 2016, /g/?
>>
>>52635475
No, especially with with 4k blu ray coming out
>>
I use it to rip my music CDs.
>>
i use it to avoid lawl enforcement by running a live distro
>>
>>52635485
4k is a meme resolution. it'll never take off.
>>
>>52635606
but it do
>>
>>52635485
its UHD not 4k.
>>
I use them to rip movies. Thats about it.
>>
>>52635475

Yeah they're worthless.
>>
>>52635475
>moserbaer

CRAP
R
A
P
in loo
>>
Pretty much yeah, havent owned one for years, I'll get a usb drive for my server to rip movies but thats it
>>
>>52635475

I only use them to make backup install discs for my operating systems. That's it. I've not used them to install anything for like five years though.
>>
>>52635475
No anon, they are still the best way to install any microsoft garbage. Spent the weekend with discovering that windows 10 installer boots from usb3 but cant install it nor provide meaningful errors
>>
>>52635606
>Poorfag can't afford 4k and is butthurt.
>>
They're pretty good when you wanna recover old files you've probably had in the past on old cds and dvds. nowadays you use a usb or external harddrive. but if you wanna feel like a G then you used them what they are still used for.
>>
>>52636234
Enjoy your expensive placebo
>>
>>52636234
hey reddit
>>
No. I go music thrifting and rip all the CD's I find into FLAC. I did have to install drivers for my graphics tablet the other day so it came in handy.
>>
Haven't had one for literally 8 years
>>
>>52636362
>I
fuck, i never thought about that before. man thats wild.
>>
i only use an external one now and i dont use it often
>>
>>52635655
This

3840x2160 is UHD
4096x2160 is 4K

/g/ is full of teenagers that buy razer and msi too much to realize this
>>
>if it's pointless for me it is pointless for everyone else

Fuck off cuck
>>
I have a bluray reader in my main machine. Rip music, dvds, blurays. Encode everything. Burn disc backups of drivers and bootable discs for operating systems. Windows, Mint for computers that are so old/so fucked up that USB boot isn't working.

While optical media isn't as big as it used to be, it is still useful. Besides, my fractal r5 has a door that covers the 5.25" bays so it's not like I have to stare at the drive or hear it while it is working. Plus a standard dvd drive brand new is less than $20. My bluray reader was $35. Bluray burners maybe $70 for a good one. It's not like they're a premium price anymore.
>>
There's an easy way to figure this out, but the answer's just for you, not a universal one.

>you use an optical drive
No, they are not pointless.
>you do not
Yes, they are pointless.
>>
An optical drive would have come in pretty handy when I installed Windows 7 on this machine, so the process of installing drivers for basically everything would have been much faster than "download drivers to laptop, transfer to usb drive, transfer to new pc, install"

Other than that I don't see much use for one myself.
>>
>>52635475
Pretty much. Might as well get a USB one and just break it out when you need it.
>>
i burn OS isos to them still
>>
File: 1392268874012.gif (1MB, 499x341px) Image search: [Google]
1392268874012.gif
1MB, 499x341px
>>52635475
>Are optical drives completely fucking pointless in 2016, /g/?

Yes. I eliminated optical media from my compute life many years ago. I consolidated all important CDs/DVDs onto a HDD and threw the discs and reader into the trash. Never looked back. Much less clutter, and a huge time saver. I hope optical media stays dead, the days of having 800 DVDs floating around everywhere and racks of CDs are gone.
>>
>>52636218
That's sounds like something with your motherboard's USB3 drivers more than the windows install stick. Can confirm yesterday it will install over USB3 on an X99 motherboard.
>>
File: sad.jpg (27KB, 599x400px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
27KB, 599x400px
>>52635475
>have old pc
>it's enough to daily internet use, animu, learnig to code
>bios has not got an usb boot option
>must use optical drives
>only CD works, DVD laser fucked up
>shops throw out the CDs from shelfs
>I'm fucked now
>mfw
>>
>>52635475
>>52635697
>>52636135
>>52638619
>>52638779

I'm still buying music CDs

It's even cheaper than buying mp3s sometimes, which then got some noise through their shitty automatic ripping anyway. Not to mention them functioning as a backup medium, and getting some nice covers and booklets of my favourite artists as well. Enjoy your pleb audio for 1.29 per song :^)
>>
>>52639105
>Not downloading perfect lossless CD rips

Enjoy the bit rot on your rotting CD collection. Also, even if you rip them your self you won't get 100% accurate rips. The scene use special CD-readers and multiple slow reads to ensure they get exact rips.
>>
>>52636337
Are you really that retarded? Or just have terrible view?

You probably own an xbone and thinks it looks the same as a PS4. I doubt you are a gaymer with a high end card...
>>
>>52636424
>Implying that little extra width matters
>>
File: 1z5lt7t.gif (529KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1z5lt7t.gif
529KB, 300x300px
>>52639208
Is that what you tell your self at night when you think about your wife's disappointed face?
>>
>>52639208
If someone owed you $100 and gave you $95 instead, you'd be fine with that?

Cuck
>>
>>52639156
Exact Audio Copy with Secure Mode, NO C2, accurate stream, disable cache, Test & Copy.

No, libparanoia on Linux is not as good. AccurateRip is acceptable, however, if done properly.

Someday I really need to get on to finish that iterative Viterbi estimation raw-EFM-reading CD ripper we experimented with. It delivers much more stable results, especially on damaged discs, than the DSP on drive firmwares. It uses about 2G of RAM reading a CD, but that's far less of an issue in 2016 than it was in 2006.
>>
If you want to move up in any trackers, or want to preserve your shit.
>>
>>52636424
There's also the fact that almost all "4K" Blu-rays are just upscaled from 2K.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/ultra-hd-not-always-4k/
>>
>>52639362
>bitching about 5 toilet papers

poorfag detected.
>>
>>52639376
>Exact Audio Copy with Secure Mode, NO C2, accurate stream, disable cache, Test & Copy.

desu it's just faster to grab the flac on what.cd than to dick around with EAC your self.
>>
>>52635475
No.
>>
>>52639265
>>52639208
get cucked
>>
>>52639431
>There's also the fact that almost all "4K" Blu-rays are just upscaled from 2K.

Most early BD movies weren't true 1080p either. Hollywood is gonna gradually start rescanning their old film stock in >4K and new movies will all be filmed (and already are for the most part) in 4K or 4K+. The reason why almost all movies have 2K Digital Intermediates are just because that's the sweet spot for cinemas and 1080p home releases. Once 4K is the norm, all movies will be done with 4K Digital Intermediates.. Give it a year or three and everything will be 4K.
>>
>>52639432
Fury x
3440x1440 ultrasharp

>poor
>>
Pretty much, yeah. You can already download movies in 4K in some places so even blu-ray is already starting to die out.

What we need is faster and cheaper ISP that also don't have data caps so everyone can officially trash the optical drive for good.
>>
>>52639156
>Rotting CDs

Unless you're retarded with archiving, they'll usually last for at least 20 years, and it's not that I wouldn't back-up my rips on drives either.

Also see >>52639376

>>52639435
>Just pirate it

kek
>>
>>52639435
>it's just faster to grab the flac on what.cd
Not him but i buy music CDs of albums i really like to support the artists for creating it, and some times because the flac isn't on what.cd.
>>
>>52639593
Most movie studios have been filming in 8k for quite a long time.
>>
>>52639875
>they'll usually last for at least 20 years

Not 100% of them will, a certain % will. And if you buy old CDs, that number is drastically reduced. Also, for home burned media, the shelf life is a few years in optimal conditions. In shitty conditions with exposure to light, heat, and/or moisture, they rot faster.

>Just pirate it
If you have the CD, you're not pirating it. You're copying it to your computer more efficiently and accurately than you can do if you rip it your self.
>>
>>52639937
>Most movie studios have been filming in 8k for quite a long time.

No they haven't. It's 99% 35mm and now 4K REDs etc.
>>
>>52635475

They are until you actually need one.

I use them to burn CDs for my car, posting shit to the gummint and reading chit family members have given me as they still use them
>>
>>52640030
>>52639875
I used to work in an archive with lots of CDs. Unless you're an idiot, the shelf life of a CD is about a decade to 15 years, 20 if you don't leave it in the kitchen. Longer if you keep them in archival conditions.
>but who has a temperature and humidity controlled UV-free archive anyways
>and no, you can't just put them in the fridge
You'd have to care an awful lot about what you have on CD for this to matter. If it's valuable data you should back it up properly, and not on CDs. If it's music, your CD collection is pretty well already an archaism. Like mechanical watches they're for nostalgia and intrigue only, and contrary to le mème posters they really do not offer any real technical advantage.
>>
>>52640044
Whats the difference between 4K RED and 70mm IMAX?

If the IMAX shots in Dark Knight Rises are any indication, 4K movies are going to look gorgeous.

Netflix UHD doesn't count, though. My info might be outdated, but they stream 4K at 15mbit which is pathetic. A good Bluray release will easily be 30mbit+. The people who think Netflix 4k is good are the same people who worshipped YIFY.
>>
>>52636362
Why not just check them out from the library?
>>
>>52639435
Where do you think they got their standard?

Someone's got to do it first.
>>
>>52635475
how else am i gonna rip BDs?
>>
>>52635606
only because the movie industry is retarded and didn't future proof their shit
>digital cameras are the future
>most post work done in lower than 2k resolution
>star wars prequels weren't even shot in 1080p
>>
>>52635475
That depends. Do you still use yours? Then no, it is not at all pointless. Do you never use it at all? Then yes, it very much is pointless.
>>
>>52640203
>Unless you're an idiot, the shelf life of a CD is about a decade to 15 years

A pressed one, sure. Not home burnt ones tho.
>>
>>52635475
Nah. At $15 for an internal DVD burner, anybody not using a memeITX build can include one just for the one time every couple of years where it's convenient to have immediately available.
>>
>>52640208
>Whats the difference between 4K RED and 70mm IMAX?

4K red is 4K digital while 70mm IMAX use 15/70" analog film. The resolution of 70mm (65mm picture surface) is arguably >4K.
>>
>>52640319
>Someone's got to do it first.

That's my point. It's already done for you, and by people who know more about the process and have better equipment than you. And it takes less time to download a 350MB flac then to rip the CD properly.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.