[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chakra OS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed.png (10KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
10KB, 120x120px
What do you think about it ? I'm currently using Windows 7. Should i install ?
>>
>>52635072
I've had better luck with KDE
>>
>>52635130
*meant OpenSUSE, fuck
>>
Honestly i never liked KDE but 2gb iso means they build so many things over Arch right ?
>>
>>52635072
No more distros.
>>
Very nice kde/qt distro considering the small team.
>>
Is this Windows new edge os they made open?
>>
>>52635072
OpenSUSE disappointed me so perhaps this one will finally prove that Linux isn't just a meme
>>
>>52637350
>OpenSUSE disappointed me
Why and how?
>>
>>52637887
Well it's less OpenSUSE itself and more it's iteration of KDE. That's why I want to try Chakra to see if it handles it any better. KDE is so great on paper and it felt like such an unstable, half finished mess in practice.
>>
>>52637968
kde a shit on every distro
>>
>>52637968
That's just how KDE plasma is right now.
It sucks.
>>
>>52638010
There's no better alternative though. Only XFCE has the feature set that I'd like and it still has the same ridiculous multi-monitor quirks like every other Gtk distro.
>>52638015
What if I downgraded to Plasma 4, would that fix something?
>>
>>52638033
What version of openSUSE were you using?
>>
Okay so far the impression of Chakra's KDE spin is not bad, but it still needs work. Octopi is fucking garbage, the repos are lacking, the keyboard behaviour in menus is weird and inconsistent. And the system seems to love forgetting that my second monitor is above the primary one.

>>52638292
Tumbleweed. Yeah I know it's supposed to be an "unstable" release, but "unstable" still doesn't mean I can unironically crash Plasma in 5 different ways in 5 minutes.
>>
>>52635072
>Chakra
Mfw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFDabT4Y2FM
>>
>>52638292
>>52639137
Also in the spirit of all the Chakra talk I wanted to ask, how different is it from running KDE on stock Arch?
>>
I use it.

It is a decent distro and if you like kde, it is a lot better than using arch.
I am not sure if it is the best first distro for a first time user as there is often things you have to fix manually as it is a rolling system.
It is one of the best kde implementations though and the repository is really nice.
>>
>>52638033
kde 4 is a lot more stable, however it is not being developed on anymore.
I am not sure what distro is best for kde 4 and everything updated.
>>
>>52639137
Weird. I've been using TW for a while now, and it's been surprisingly stable for me, provided I remember to reboot after new snapshots install.
Have you been using a proxy, by any chance? I know there was a bug in KDE that caused proxies to crash a lot of programs that was finally fixed recently.
>>
>>52639177
a lot of things.
First you will be greeted with a config manager where you can easily change the theme and stuff.

The repository is different.
Firefox and libreoffice is with the kde patch, so no more recompiling every week.

Stuff a lot of gnome applications are not dependent on the gnome desktop.
>>
>>52639186
>and if you like kde, it is a lot better than using arch.
Can you elaborate further? Wondering what KDE things are exclusive to Chakra. While it seems that abandoning Gtk is the "Chakra way", how good are the Gtk packages for it?
>>52639233
No proxy. I've literally managed to crash it by accidentally scrolling with a touchpad on the desktop. Also the panel behaviour is ridiculous, it has a tendency to move into the second monitor all the time and then "disappear" whenever I try to move it back or hell, switch on my primary monitor.
>>
>>52639315
see
>>52639310
>>
>>52639310
That doesn't sound so crucial to me. I don't use Firefox, I can live with memefilepicker for office software, config manager is just a streamlined way of diving into settings... but what is different about the KDE Plasma itself in Chakra?
>>
>>52639388
I haven't noticed anything other than that then.
It is a bit more stable and I have experienced less trouble with kde since I switched from arch, the only trouble was the update from kde4 to plasma 5
>>
>>52639456
How do the repos compare? Admittedly I haven't seen all of them, but the general Gtk support seemed quite paltry at a glance.
>>
>>52639315
>I've literally managed to crash it by accidentally scrolling with a touchpad on the desktop.
This has happened to me as well. It's also happened on gnome. Very frustrating when a vanilla build chokes on its own spit and dies.
>>
>>52639528
A lot of the gtk applications are removed.
You can install any package you can on arch though.
It uses its own community repository, but you can import things from the aur if it doesn't already exist.
>>
>>52639584
How the fuck can't DE devs sort this shit out? And I mean that in the most respectful way possible in this context. They did so much work on integrating so many features, and yet none of them can sit down for a few days and streamline the fucking desktop so a user doesn't literally trip over dozens of trivial bugs that one can find casually exploring system settings in a couple of minutes?

>>52639645
How much can I rely on it being at least as stable as Arch when using AURs?
>>
>>52639663
it can't be worse than arch.
>>
>>52639528

Haven't looked at Chakra in a while, but I think they wanted to be a pure qt environment, so there was a distinctive lack of gtk stuff on the repos, which like Manjaro were delayed some time.

Octopi is really obnoxious, if they really wanted a gui package manager Pamac is better, but since it is not qt it may be a no-no for them
>>
>>52639678
I personally find pacman / ccr a lot more user friendly
>>
>>52639678
So far from what you're saying, it sounds like standard KDE Arch is still looking like a better option than Chakra.
>>
>>52639792
only if you use a lot of gtk applications and doesn't want that extra stability for kde.
>>
>>52639849
I'd very much appreciate any amount of extra stability for KDE, but I have a shitton of Gtk apps.
>>
>>52639865
I think arch might be better.
I run arch on my desktop and chakra on my laptop and I prefer chakra, but I don't use that much gtk.
It is not like arch breaks all the time on kde, but if you want a more rounded desktop, maybe kubuntu is better.
>>
>>52639943
From what I've heard Kubuntu is a terrible, unusable mess. Perhaps KDE Manjaro then? It's one of their standard DE choices after all.
>>
>>52639973
I have tried manjaro and pure arch is a lot more stable. Their focus is not kde and they aren't as helpful with their news when you run into trouble
>>
>>52640012
Huh, one would think that after the month or so delay of every package the stability would be at least comparable...
>>
>>52637286
No, this is a Linux based OS. You talking about the javascript engine for Edge Browser.
>>
>>52640111
>thrash
\m/
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.