[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ I've been out of the laptop market forever but I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: toomuchtrump.jpg (4MB, 2280x2736px) Image search: [Google]
toomuchtrump.jpg
4MB, 2280x2736px
Hey /g/
I've been out of the laptop market forever but I'm heading to college next semester. What's the cheapest thing possible that I can carry around easily with a decent battery life? I'm probably going to just be running a Linux OS on it so it doesn't have to be some sort of beast at all. I don't do much gaming(I don't like it in the ass), and I'll mostly use it for light web browsing and compiling shit.
Thanks folks
>>
buмp
>>
another bump
>>
>>52634428
Get a chrome book or surface pro or something.
>>
>>52634820
Can you put Linux on one of those and have it run semi-decently?
>>
'nother bump
>>
>>52634428
thinkpad
>>
>>52634844
Yes. You can put Linux on a Surface Pro as long as it's not a Pro 4, support is very bad for that. I believe 1 is the easiest to run it on, but it has a not so great battery life so the 3 might be something you might want to look into (unless you don't care for battery life, in which case the 1 has the best support).

Chromebooks can run normal Linux, both ARM and Intel variants.
>>
There's three main options:

1) Get an old thinkpad like an x220 or T60
Pros: Cheap, not Intel ME backdoored, light, Stallman will be proud

2) Get a recently released Ultrabook, if you can't wait another few months get the XPS 13 9350 (late 2015, comes with Windows), otherwise wait and get the XPS 13 (early 2016) Developer Edition which will be the same as the first XPS but come preinstalled with Ubuntu (wipe that shit and install your own Distro, even if you want Ubuntu, reinstall at least). I reccommend you get the second lowest tier, 1080p non-touch with i5.
If you don't want an XPS 13 look at the X1 Carbon, a viable alternative.

3: Get a MBP
>>
Do you need to ask? Thinkpad 220x
>>
>>52635625
>>52635605
>Thinkpad 220x
This thing looks great, probably what I'm going with

Thanks guys
>>
>>52635692
Good choice, easy to upgrade it with some extra ram and SSD if you are in the mood
>>
>>52635788
All the ones I found online are around 4GB of RAM, so I'd need to throw at least another 4GB in there. Still looks like a very rugged and powerful laptop for the price. Also free as in freedom ;)
>>
>>52634428
Z E N B O O K
E
N
B
O
O
K
>>
>>52635817
Sometimes the battery might be old on used thinkpads, but it is easy to find replacements. Can't remember how long they are supposed to last, but you can look it up.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.