[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fan Makes Noise Even When Stopped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

My computer has started making a grinding noise like a broken fan, but even when I press a finger against any of the fans to stop them, the noise doesn't change one bit. I also checked the harddrive, so it can't be making the constant wobbling moan either.

What do you think could be causing this, and how can I fix it?
>>
>>52630973
1- Read the sticky
2- Go to a tech support forum/subreddit
>>
coil whine, youtube it
>>
>>52631171
It's the coils on his CPU whining
>>
>>52630973
Did you stop the fan of the psu too?
>>
>>52630973
if it's making the sound under load it could be the cpu, gpu or psu.
>>
>>52631171
>>52631184

It's not a whine - it has about the same pace as an idling diesel engine. It really sounds like a badly spinning fan, even more so now that it has started occasionally stopping altogether and starting again with a wrenching sound. Even so, all the fans keep spinning normally.

I also noticed that the heat sink vibrates in rhythm with the noise, and it stops vibrating when the noise stops as well.

>>52631267

I couldn't stop the psu fan because it's at the bottom of the computer behind a dust filter, but it doesn't sound like the source of the noise.
>>
File: keyboard_problems[1].png (42KB, 740x305px) Image search: [Google]
keyboard_problems[1].png
42KB, 740x305px
>>52630973

My computer has made such noises on random days when starting up for years. Still no idea what causes it though.
>>
>>52631911

Detach the power to each of the fans, one by one, until you isolate the source of the noise.

Failing barings can be intermittent.
>>
>>52632498
noises @ startup are 99% a fan
>>
Replace your HDD with a SSD.
>>
File: Freezer_13_Pro_F06.png (107KB, 470x300px) Image search: [Google]
Freezer_13_Pro_F06.png
107KB, 470x300px
Fixed it. Turns out Freezer 13 Pro had an EXTRA fan under the large one, and that had been making the noise. I got it working smoothly with compressed air, but I wonder if it's even necessary or just a marketing ploy.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.