[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished my first build and I'm running into some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: x99-pro-1x-1280x1024.jpg (294KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
x99-pro-1x-1280x1024.jpg
294KB, 1280x1024px
I just finished my first build and I'm running into some problems.

specs:
Intel Core i7-5820K
Asus X99 Pro
Cooler Master 850w
Corsair Dominator 8GB@3200mhz x 4
Asus Strix 980Ti

Now I noticed the RAM was running at 1066mhz, so set BIOS to XMP profile 1.
Took away all power, cleared CMOS, flashed BIOS. RAM now running at 2133mhz, tried XMP again, took away power from GPU.
I'm not that knowledgeable about building pc's yet, so bear with me if I ask any dumb shit.

Read there are a lot of problems with X99 boards. Is the X99 just a shitty board that can't allow 3200mhz? Difference would be negligible but I paid a lot of money for that RAM.
>>
>>52630763
>3200 mHz ram
kek

Fast ram is literally pointless, you just wasted money on shit op. In fact, you wasted a lot of money in a lot of places with that computer.
>>
lol 3200 is rampage territory. your entry level board would be lucky to reach 2800.

if you do somehow end up getting to run at 3200 then good luck overclocking the cpu.
>>
>>52630805
No.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1586767/digital-foundry-memory-overclocking-and-how-it-affects-fps-in-8-different-games
>>
Did you try updating the BIOS? This board should support 3200mhz based on the online spec sheet.

On an unrelated note, why are you trying to run such fast RAM on this system? Quad-channel already doubles your throughput over dual-channel, and there practically aren't any applications whatsoever that can make use of all that bandwidth. If you do manage to get this working, it'll be pretty much 100% for bragging purposes.
>>
File: 1453758830951.png (711KB, 1600x2162px) Image search: [Google]
1453758830951.png
711KB, 1600x2162px
>gamer ram
>>
>>52630838
>that link again
Skylake is literally the only CPU architecture of the last 5+ years that benefits from increased RAM speeds when not using the integrated graphics. If you're buying Skymeme, by all means get 3000+mhz RAM if you want, for everything else it's irrelevant,
>>
>>52630844
Yes, after the update the standard speed went from 1066 to 2133. OC'ing to 3200 takes away resources from the GPU, it's a bit better but according to the BIOS version it should be possible. I asked some friends who regularly build pc's for some help with picking out components.

>>52630848
Is gaming looked down on or something? What's wrong with it?
>>
>>52630868
>Skylake is literally the only CPU architecture of the last 5+ years that benefits from increased RAM speeds

Are you retarded? The IPC different is less than 5%, why would skylake be the only platform that benefits from the increased ram speed?
>>
>>52630848
>4K Ultra HD meme
here's your (you)

>>52630875
No, /g/ tends to look down on flashy expensive PC components that offer no tangible benefit over the bargain bin stuff. You could have bought 2133mhz value RAM for a fraction of the price or had considerably more RAM for the same price.

>>52630903
Good question, for which I honestly have no answer since I'm not the engineer who designed these things. But it's been tested that RAM speed will have less than 5% performance increase on everything between Sandy bridge and Broadwell, but Skylake sees tangible speed improvements going over 3000mhz.
>>
>>52630957
>But it's been tested that RAM speed will have less than 5% performance increase on everything between Sandy bridge and Broadwell
Post those tests then
>>
>>52630875
There is not much wrong with picking gaming as your hobby (since it is your own choice) but you need to redirect yourself to /v/, quite politely speaking
Often times it's the gamers who tend to open mediocre threads in /g/
>>
>>52631156
/v/ doesn't know shit about technology, which is why I asked the question here.
Besides that, I wanted to have a system that should run games as well as image and video editing software (Adobe CC) for work purposes.
>>
>>52631215
You're in the right place, ignore that faggot. Check the sticky if you don't believe me.
>>
>>52630993
Just open any RAM review from the past few years, but here's a more concrete test between DDR3 speeds:
http://techbuyersguru.com/does-ram-speed-matter-ddr3-1600-vs-1866-2133-and-2400-games
Spoiler: less than the margin of error at any speed. And that's with DDR3, with DDR4 it should matter even less, especially in quad channel. But guess what?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2982965/components/quad-channel-ram-vs-dual-channel-ram-the-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.html
Turns out even Quad channel barely matters, showing only a slight improvement in memory-bound applications like 7-zip only.

RAM speed hasn't been a bottleneck for over a decade.
>>
>>52631234
These links are worthless, as they both test old games. Of course they're not going to benefit from faster RAM. The Witcher 3 and GTA V are the main games that have been shown to benefit massively from faster memory. Show me a test of DDR3 speeds and how they affect framerate involving at least one of those titles.
>>
Seems I bought some overpriced shit.
Beginner's mistake I guess. At least it looks nice
>>
>>52630763
OP you bought one shit motherboard and somewhat overpriced ram.
X99 motherboards are great, just yours is bad.

RAM is RAM, you paid more for the same, don't worry.

Are you still having problems?
>>
>>52631409
Not having full 3200 won't kill me I guess.
I'll be sure to spend more time on my next build before rushing to buy components.
>>
>>52631521
The only 2 things i see bad in your build is your PSU(even when youbare telling wich CM 850W) and the motherboard.

Which are the most important parts.

Should have got a EVGA 850 G2 and a GA-X99-SLI.
>>
>>52631320
>falling for the poorfag troll
>>
>>52631654
Gigabyte x99 mobos are dogshit.

His build looks fine. He just bought a cheap mobo that couldn't handle the high speed ram. And no gigashit mobos are even more awful at handling high speed ram.
>>
>>52631654
This is the psu in question:
http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/v-series-psu/v850/
>>
>>52631654
Nothing wrong with coolermaster.
>>
>>52631701
Its a good PSU indeed but its $50 more expensive.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.