[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth getting one of these to calibrate my monitor? Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: monitor-calibrator.jpg (66KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
monitor-calibrator.jpg
66KB, 1000x666px
Is it worth getting one of these to calibrate my monitor? Does it really do a better job than just eyeballing it?
>>
>>52616704
Yes, its worth it.
>>
>>52616704
supposedly, but it's still something like 200 for a single-use tool. It's a shitty situation since otherwise you might be left with bad colors on a 500$ monitor.
>>
You think you might get color representation right looking at some bar gradients, but then come to find your gamma is completely fucking off.
Its worth it if you're actually doing graphic design or video production. Even factory calibrated panels should be checked.
>>
>>52616704
What are you using your monitor for?
>>
>>52616704
>the human eye can't see more than 32 colors
joke apart, it's snake oil, unless you monitor costs more than a car and you are some sort of videophile
>>
>>52616726
>>52616741
Still, costs half of what an expensive monitor costs, gets used a couple of times in its life. Most people don't even mind wrong colors, for fucks sake we can't even see them
>>
>>52616726
>>52616738
>>52616741
what you're saying is: it's really nice to have someone to borrow it from
>>
Can you rent those things ?

200$ for a things i'll use maybe 2-3 times in its lifetime sounds a bit crazy...

I'd willing to 10$ + 200$ deposit to use it for a day though.
>>
>>52616738
Single use? How can I piece of technology be single use?

>>52616741
I'm partially colour blind too, so I always wonder whether I'm getting the right colour.

>>52616766
Just normal use. Movies, video games, shitposting, programming. Doesn't seem worth it.
>>
>>52616738
>single-use
You're supposed to re-calibrate like once a month.

>captcha: the autism
Fuck you, captcha, people need it for work.
>>
>>52616801
basically
>>
File: spooky ougi.png (248KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
spooky ougi.png
248KB, 500x308px
>>52616812
>captcha: the autism
>Fuck you, captcha, people need it for work.
>>
>>52616808
>is it worth it?
>what are you using your monitor for
>[list of things that mostly aren't even color-sensitive, then says it "doesn't seem worth it"]
glad we could help you come to the conclusion that must've been self-evident right at the start.
>>
>>52616704
Let's put it this way OP.

Do you have autistism?
>>
>>52616812
The same screen? Are you shitting me?

>>captcha: the autism
Yes you should have screencapped it, it was fitting to this moment
>>
>>52616828
>accurate colors don't matter
And this is why TN is best panels
>>
>>52616868
Colorado accuracy is just one of many faults that TN has
>>
File: screenshot_00007820160125123047.png (53KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_00007820160125123047.png
53KB, 1920x1080px
>>52616820
>captcha
'|;:^)-
>>
>>52616881
What other faults does TN have? Viewing angles on good panels are enough so there's no distortion on the edges, blacks are black enough, contrast is good.

More importantly, TNs don't lag when I play the rare video game session, and the image seems somehow more... natural. My eyes tend to twist somehow when looking at IPS, there's something wrong with it
>>
>>52616849
>The same screen? Are you shitting me?
Nope, if you're doing color critical work you need to re-calibrate every once in a while. Shit drifts, yo. I think it used to be more pronounced with CCFL backlights, but still.

>and by Shit I mean colors
>>
File: IMG_20160125_122846.jpg (2MB, 2048x2730px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160125_122846.jpg
2MB, 2048x2730px
It does a better job as in "huh so that's what accurate colors look like" and not as in "wow this looks better"

I bought mine because I have one of those Korean monitors that when overclocked fucks up the gamma and turns dark so in my scenario it actually make things look better. But for rest of my monitors it just changes the color.
>>
>>52616918
>it's good enough!!

There's no point in arguing with someone who has deluded themselves to living with something bad until they deemed it perfectly fine.
>>
File: mayoi.png (245KB, 900x827px) Image search: [Google]
mayoi.png
245KB, 900x827px
>>52616828
>that must've been self-evident right at the start.
Not really, I like nice things. If people replied to me with high praise saying they are completely worth it and their monitors really did look much better, I might have considered it. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't do do colour sensitive work, but I still like it when things aren't distorted in any way.
>>
>>52616974
Is it really a noticeable difference? Like really? Or is it more like the kind of thing you hardly even notice after an hour of having accurate colours.
>>
>>52616849
Back when everyone used CRT displays, those had to be calibrated once a week.
LCD panels that utilize CCFL backlights need calibration at least once a month as their color purity degrades with age, even if the crystals don't.
White LED panels can comfortably go several months without calibration since LEDs last ten times longer than CCFL, but they still degrade over time.
LED panels with a BG-R arrangement may need to be calibrated more often due to red phosphorus, but such LEDs are needed for Adobe RGB coverage.
It's no problem for me to have a $250 calibrator when my display costs $1000 and it's also part of my profession to ensure accurate color, but for most people it's worthwhile to check out reviews and see which displays come from the factory with a nice calibration, as modern LED-based displays will hold their calibration for a long time.

It's also a good idea to own a colorimeter if you have a multi-monitor setup and want to ensure that the colors between them are identical.
>>
>>52616980
I'm using a Dell IPS now and still miss my TN. Also preferred the picture of an Acer monitor I saw recently
>>
>>52616868
you're staging a false dichotomy. TN panels are designed in an inferior way and cannot represent colors accurately or even close to it. higher quality panels can and do represent colors more accurately, but may not be calibrated properly and thus have some room to improve, hence that device.

but the marginal benefit of a spyder or something like that given the cost doesn't make any sense for most people. simply buying a better panel will give them the meat's worth of improvement already.

all this being said, if you're doing something that involves images, video, etc... and you do care about colors to the tune of $200 for a more-or-less one-time-use thing, then by all means get it. but the answer to that question is pretty much self-evident if you're not even sure what the device is and you have no financial interest in your monitor's color accuracy.
>>
>>52617005
There's a definite color change before and after.
>>
Couldnt you just look up what settings people have used for that monitor?
>>
>>52616919
>>52617020
Awful, I didn't know anything about this. My monitor is pre-calibrated, but I wonder how much worse it has gotten by now.
>>
>>52616704
if your monitor cost less than the device it's not worth it

they can't fix every monitor, i would try to borrow on if you can first before buying one

>>52616791
>what is a print ready monitor

B/W CRTs are still being produced for television sets because they more accurately display the lighting/color (not literal color, but like washouts)

>>52616974
its supposed to make it more print friendly, if you don't do print work, these are only good to match colors on multiple monitors.

Source:
>used to work for a print shop
when prints cost $10-$50 each you want to only print once, not 12 times to correct all the color

pure colors do not exist, this is the biggest reason for the tool (also why photoshop bitches you for out of range for print when you select "255 0 0" as a color)
>>
>>52617020
>calibrating a CRT weekly

How autistic do you have to be to actually so this? I used a CRT for years and barely noticed differences over time.
>>
>>52616704
snakeoil
>>
>>52617062
Sorry, when you work in print it's a religion.
>>
>>52616704
If you bought a dell, they calibrate it for you before sending it out. There's a report that comes in the box.
>>
Are TN panels really that bad with colors or is it just thanks to poor view angles?
>>
>>52617088
how trust worthy are the thinkpads that come with the calibrator?

ever used one? dunno if its worth the extra cash or just buy dedicated hardware.
>>
>>52617037
but what if you don't care about colors that much
>>
>>52617120
A little of both. They're not good with blacks, but they're better than people give them credit for. The viewing angles just make it extremely apparent.
>>
>>52617123
Well, I've never seen a laptop screen that didn't compromise on something somewhere, but then I've also never seen those thinkpad displays you mention.
>>
>>52617143
So view angle disadvantage should not be noticable while using monitor for generic desk work (playing games, watching videos, shitposting like mentioned above) when you sit less than 1m away.
Is their low response time any significant advantage?
>>
>>52617128
then TN is fine
>>
>>52617223
nice
>>
>>52617216
Not for shitposting, only gaymen is it noticable unless the monitor has a really bad response time
>>
>>52617288
tbqh IPS panels have big brightness shifts at different viewing angles as well
>>
>>52617351
I've only noticed shifts when looking top-down at one.
>>
>>52617366
no, if you look top down at it it looks normal. If you have a low angle and become more perpendicular to the display the more dark it becomes. The viewing angles for good colors on an IPS is really only as good as TN, but the colors never dissappear completely like a TN at any angle
>>
>>52617351
It's called IPS glow, where dark parts of an image may become brighter at steep angles. Usually not noticeable on most content unless you're watching a movie in the dark and not looking down the center.
>>
>>52617471
No, its not glow. The whole panel becomes uniformly darker the steeper your angle is. I have my IPS set up at a small angle about 25 degrees, like when someone on a sci fi ship has a panel in front of them at slightly above lap level and another they look at a normal height
>>
>>52616704
Unless you really need it for professional use, its not worth it. Remember this device makes colors more accurate, not better. Sometimes accurate can look really dull and even washed out. I think the vast majority of people want their colors a bit more vibrant than normal.
>>
>>52617514
Never seen that personally...
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1288x943px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1288x943px
>>52617564
maybe the difference isnt so noticable in this pic as it is in person, but the brightness on the IPS screen is far far lower than the top two TN, even at maximum level. The only time the whites will be close to white is if I stand up and look from teh top down at the IPS.

Again, IPS monitors have a wider viewing angle, yes, but the only good angles where you could reasonably do color sensitive work is the same angles you get from a TN.
>>
>>52616888
check'd
>>
File: formats ears.png (420KB, 836x908px) Image search: [Google]
formats ears.png
420KB, 836x908px
>>52616704
>>
get a fucking colorhug
>>
>>52616789
>it's snake oil,

Spoken by someone who doesn't have color insensitivity or color blindness.

My red/green is a little off, so especially when I set up a monitor/TV by eyeballing it, they always come out red. Which is fine for me, but people with so-called "normal" vision find objectionable.

tldr; Your A Idiot.
>>
>>52617561
Truth. If you work in a print shop you calibrate every week to make sure monitor color matches print color. For video you might do it every month or so if you're particularly anal.

At home i don't even bother. You can probably find a monitor calibration on a forum that uses the built in controls that will get you reasonably close.
>>
File: thisbitchserious.jpg (20KB, 292x219px) Image search: [Google]
thisbitchserious.jpg
20KB, 292x219px
>>52616974
>monitors that when overclocked
>>
>>52621356
you can increase the refresh rates of some monitors past their specified rates
did you not know?
>>
>>52621434
Is it still called overclocking even though it's a monitor and it's the refresh rate?
>>
just buy it from amazon and send it back after using it. I don't even know what this is.
>>
if you have to ask then you don't need it.

Unless you're a professional that needs accurate colors for work its a waste of money that could be spent on other things.
>>
>>52616704
If you are a designer or a successful artist with enough money and need exact colors it's ok. No point having it otherwise, The only point of it is to get the colors similar to the printout. Otherwise it's a waste of time, just use configs you think looks nice.
>>
File: 1453705551121.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453705551121.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
>>52621456
What are refresh rates measured in, anon? And what are CPU core speeds measured in?
>>
>>52616808
>Just normal use. Movies, video games, shitposting, programming. Doesn't seem worth it.

Answered your own question.

It's a tool primarily for media production because computer hardware can vary wildly in their output and human eyes are unreliable as fuck at judging colors & lighting consistently.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.